• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Gundry: Full of s***, or to be trusted?

GeekyDad

At first, I found many of his videos interesting. I didn't adhere to anything in particular, as I know there are so many arguments for or against various foods and categories of foods. But a couple of months ago, I just gave up watching his s*** altogether. It just seemed so one-sided, to the point I was wondering if he was being paid by certain companies to discourage the consumption of certain foods.

Anyway, I have been experiencing a dry cough throughout the day for months now, which I attributed to asthma intensified by pollen. But it's become so invasive, I wanted to research if it could be caused by certain foods I'm eating regularly. I haven't completely ruled out "whooping cough," but the symptoms don't seem to line up with that. In the last couple of years, my consumption of spices and herbs used in Indian-style food has increased greatly. I've always used garlic and onions regularly, as well as vegetables (in my daily salad) and fruits Gundry calls "nightshades," but I've been making my own Indian dishes almost daily now for a solid year, using cumin, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and garam masala. So, with the exception of peperine, I'm getting regular doses of capsaicin, gingerol, and allicin. Now, in my search regarding inducing coughing, I come across this "nightshade" business.

Do you trust his opinions, or is he some sort of corporate lacky?

EDIT: And what seems to be a reasonable counterpoint to much of what Gundry (and others) says.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Do you trust his opinions, or is he some sort of corporate lacky?
If he has a large YouTube channel or a TV show it means he doesn’t actually do his real job, so there’s your answer.

Same with all the YT piano channels - the pianists there have atrocious form, since they are actually not that good. Vast majority of people watching their channels don’t even play piano, meaning they have no idea what is good or bad form.

Wildebeest

The dose makes the poison. Have you ever heard of someone eating so many tomatoes or potatoes that they ended up in the hospital? Is it even possible?

There is a long term slander against tomatoes about them being dangerously toxic. The origin of this is that people used to use tableware with sodding lead in them, and the tomatoes would interact with the lead from the plates and cause people to ingest more lead.

Last edited:
Nutrition science is mostly bullshit as far as I'm concerned. I'd recommend simply doing an elimination diet and see what works and what doesn't.

My mother decided she was going with the nightshade thing. She's an idiot.

Pretty sure Dr. Gundry is the guy on the YouTube ad that says you should drink a pint of olive oil every week. You can miss me with that, dawg

Shockingly the guy in the second video deboooonking keto, when you click on the channel you see all sorts of vegan and sustainability content. And that seems like a pretty consistent attack vector. Keto encourages meat consumption, meat production on a per calorie basis is very expensive compared to cutting out the middle cow and just eating the grass yourself so to speak. Therefore keto is bad.

Also his video is short, lazy, and he doesn't link to the studies he references, so you're dependent on his interpretation. It all strikes me as very Bill Gatesy, very "you peasants need to eat crickets and stop breeding". Too much politics involved.

First guy is selling some shit on his website... but I doubt he's motivated by trying to 'stick it' to Big Tomato.

Anyway, I'd go with what Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert said. Elimination diet. Science it out on yourself.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
The Dr Gundry brand is a subset of a very large direct response marketing company called Golden Hippo. They run a ton of offers like this at high volume on tons of channels. Im not saying its complete BS or don't try it or it doesn't work, they have to be FDA compliant so im sure there is some science to it... Im just saying the marketing company came first and this was the offer they created, not a Dr just out there trying to spread the good word. All those videos and blogs are designed specifically to drive you to a sales page. Very talented copywriters whip up these scripts and he just reads them. Not saying it doesn't work or to stay away, just saying it is full-blown marketing company behind the scenes not a guy running his own channel out of the kindness of his heart. They are actively selling a product not promoting general goodwill.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

The Dr Gundry brand is a subset of a very large direct response marketing company called Golden Hippo. They run a ton of offers like this at high volume on tons of channels. Im not saying its complete BS or don't try it or it doesn't work, they have to be FDA compliant so im sure there is some science to it... Im just saying the marketing company came first and this was the offer they created, not a Dr just out there trying to spread the good word. All those videos and blogs are designed specifically to drive you to a sales page. Very talented copywriters whip up these scripts and he just reads them. Not saying it doesn't work or to stay away, just saying it is full-blown marketing company behind the scenes not a guy running his own channel out of the kindness of his heart. They are actively selling a product not promoting general goodwill.
That says everything I need to know. Thanks.

SpiceRacz

The dose makes the poison. Have you ever heard of someone eating so many tomatoes or potatoes that they ended up in the hospital? Is it even possible?

There is a long term slander against tomatoes about them being dangerously toxic. The origin of this is that people used to use tableware with sodding lead in them, and the tomatoes would interact with the lead from the plates and cause people to ingest more lead.

Actually, it is possible. Billy Bob Thornton ate nothing but potatoes when he was starting out and ended up in the hospital with myocarditis.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Nutrition science is a mess. I don't know this guy but I think anyone claiming with confidence that they know what foods are good or bad probably doesn't know what they're talking about.

Diet doesn't have a one size fits all solution. Different people need different things.

This.

There's an entire community of scientists spread across social media who specialize in fields related to or adjacent to nutrition, and they share and spread information without trying to make a buck. Better to listen to them than someone with clickbait YouTube titles like "TOXIC FOODS?".

Outlier

Here's a generally good rule to keep in mind:

If it makes you feel bad after eating it, then don't eat it.
if it makes you feel good or neutral, then it's good/safe to eat.

Eating junk food feels good in my mouth, but never feels good in my body.

Our body is pretty good at telling us what's good for it.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Diet doesn't have a one size fits all solution. Different people need different things.
Food comes in, food comes out.

More food coming in = you gain weight.

More food coming out = you lose weight.

Don’t try to overcomplicate things.

Majority of people in need of diet regime are:

1. Fat people - anything will work as long as it is more food out + exervise
2. Competitive athletes - they have this thing down to science with people looking over them being experienced nutritionists

Dr.Morris79

Seem to hear this quite abit about lead, once you get over the bitter taste you cant get enough

I think people are too harsh on it.

Top Bottom