• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

sono

Gold Member
So I fired this up on PS4 for the first time this morning.

I looks really good, but one thing is really bugging me, the left stick you have to move it a lot to left or right and then suddenly you lurch sideways, is the central (null ?) zone adjustable in this respect. I didnt immediately see how to change that.

Anustart

Posted this in the other thread, but I wish I had originally played this on ultra violence. Enjoying my time much more than my first plsythrough last year.

Are the 2 difficulties above this even better or no?

Ixion

They added an arcade mode? Can that be played straight away or do you have to unlock it first?

Is that how I should play it, first time out?

I'm not sure if you have to beat the Campaign first, but regardless I would just play the Campaign first. The Arcade Mode literally turns the Campaign into a beat-the-clock mode with points and scores and sounds firing of all over the place. It's cool, but it's meant for something different than the Campaign.

So I fired this up on PS4 for the first time this morning.

I looks really good, but one thing is really bugging me, the left stick you have to move it a lot to left or right and then suddenly you lurch sideways, is the central (null ?) zone adjustable in this respect. I didnt immediately see how to change that.

I remember someone else in here complained about that as well. Unfortunately you can't adjust the dead zone. There's some other input settings you can toggle in the Settings menu if you want to play around there.

Posted this in the other thread, but I wish I had originally played this on ultra violence. Enjoying my time much more than my first plsythrough last year.

Are the 2 difficulties above this even better or no?

The highest difficulty, Ultra Nightmare, is different than the other difficulties. You only have one life. When you die, your whole Campaign is over.

The difficulty right below that one, Nightmare, basically gives the enemies higher damage, so it takes less of their attacks to kill you. Plus there's some other adjustments like the player receiving less Health/Armor from the individual shards/vials.

I actually never played through DOOM on Nightmare until last month, because I was afraid I would have to play too carefully, but I ended up enjoying it. If you beat the game on Ultra Violence and feel you could still take on a bit more challenge, I would go for it. It really tests your reflexes and keeps you more on edge. And after all, playing "careful" in DOOM means the player just has to stay on the move even more. So it's not like you'll be spending more time cowering behind crates.

Kssio_Aug

Am trying to play the demo with Vulkan using a RX 480, but it keeps crashing, any solution?
Also, is it normal that the demo performs a bit bad? At 1080p, max settings, I'm getting 45~55 fps with OpenGL.

Edit: The full game worked like a charm. Amazing game btw!

Lanrutcon

Just finished up the last bits on this. Looks amazing, runs like a goddamn dream, handles like every shooter should. I am so psyched for a potential sequel.

XUlvPsm.jpg

koPb0Wx.png

ZuWTZ3q.png

pwuMC42.png

WtKlwZj.png

VpV5hrz.png

Brizzo24

Crazy Q...

Is it possible to revisit the starting point in Destroyed Argent Facility?

http://guides.gamepressure.com/doom/guide.asp?ID=36513

I missed the Classic Map, and am finding it impossible to get back up to the third level where you start this chapter. I don't use guides unless I am really stuck. The classic Map on this level is the only secret I am missing, and I'm already done with the level (just need to go through the exit.) But I can't locate a way to get back to the top...

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Crazy Q...

Is it possible to revisit the starting point in Destroyed Argent Facility?

http://guides.gamepressure.com/doom/guide.asp?ID=36513

I missed the Classic Map, and am finding it impossible to get back up to the third level where you start this chapter. I don't use guides unless I am really stuck. The classic Map on this level is the only secret I am missing, and I'm already done with the level (just need to go through the exit.) But I can't locate a way to get back to the top...

I remember running into the same issue. I think you can just finish the level, then go back and replay it from the main menu without having lost progress.

AcAnchoa

I bought the game on Steam and in two hours I have experienced several crashes (the firts right when started the game for the first time), loss of configuration and falls through scenery. Is this normal?, the game feels unplayable.

DocSeuss

I bought the game on Steam and in two hours I have experienced several crashes (the firts right when started the game for the first time), loss of configuration and falls through scenery. Is this normal?, the game feels unplayable.

That definitely doesn't sound normal. Have you verified the game cache and checked out PCGamingWiki and the Steam Discussions for similar problems?

Ixion

About to finish the campaign. What else is there to do for SP content?

The "Arcade" mode allows you to replay Campaign levels with the story scenes cut and the gameplay more focused on flashy Bulletstorm-esque arcade gameplay where you try to get through the level with the highest score possible.

Then there's SnapMap, which are user-made levels, most of which can be played solo. Check out the "Featured" section on the front page of SnapMap to quickly see some high quality campaigns and levels selected by id.

Deku Tree

The "Arcade" mode allows you to replay Campaign levels with the story scenes cut and the gameplay more focused on flashy Bulletstorm-esque arcade gameplay where you try to get through the level with the highest score possible.

Then there's SnapMap, which are user-made levels, most of which can be played solo. Check out the "Featured" section on the front page of SnapMap to quickly see some high quality campaigns and levels selected by id.

Thanks!

AcAnchoa

That definitely doesn't sound normal. Have you verified the game cache and checked out PCGamingWiki and the Steam Discussions for similar problems?
Speaking to some people I think there must be something with my computer or the installation, as you say. I incline to the latter, as two weeks ago I formatted, but who knows. I have uninstalled it and will try again in a few days, I want to give some time for this first impression to fade away.

Raptomex

Starting this up again for maybe the fifth or sixth time for a full replay because why not. It's Doom. Am I the only one who has the issue of the classic weapon view not sticking upon restarting the game? I always have to set it in the options. PC version.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fucking balls, I got a 144Hz monitor a few days back and I've just started my second run of Doom and it's incredible, even though I can't hit 144fps often it still feels better than other games I've tried since upgrading my monitor, even Overwatch which hits 144fps 100% of the time. Doom at 90 - 144fps just feel so good it's silly, but it felt great 60fps too so I guess it's mostly thanks to iD6 being a God-like engine. This has made me even more hyped for Wolfenstein II.

Super LTTP but I played this recently (quite drunk I must add) on my friend's high-end PC rig at max settings and it was fucking awesome. Like "buy a console to play this now" awesome. You can get a pre-owned Xbox One for £140 and Doom pre-owned is only £10 so think I'm going to take the plunge asap to play this. Best FPS I've played since Halo: CE.

I'll report back once I've given the game a spin. I think I finally understand all the hype surrounding the game now - it really is awesome.

taoofjord

I also picked up a 144hz, 1440p monitor and holy shit indeed. I already beat the campaign a while back but i am surprisingly having an awesome time with the multiplayer. Why wasn’t the MP more popular?

Also, some of the map maps are gorgeous. Boneyard is really fucking impressive. Orbital, Outbreak... wow.

Ixion

I also picked up a 144hz, 1440p monitor and holy shit indeed. I already beat the campaign a while back but i am surprisingly having an awesome time with the multiplayer. Why wasn’t the MP more popular?

Also, some of the map maps are gorgeous. Boneyard is really fucking impressive. Orbital, Outbreak... wow.

Keep in mind a good portion of the multiplayer was paid DLC before. Now everybody has the DLC for free. In fact, those three maps you listed are all DLC maps. And the DLC maps are indeed phenomenal. Also, some of the monsters, guns, armor, etc, were paid DLC as well.

So the multiplayer is definitely more varied and full-featured now. I'd say the main reason people criticize the multiplayer is because of loadouts. Since all the weapons are available via loadout (except the one power weapon on each map), that means the weapons have to be balanced across the board instead of something like a Rocket Launcher being and feeling more powerful. Also, the use of loadouts means less focus on controlling weapon spawn points around the map. Obviously there's still a good amount of map control involved since there's still various pickups around the map with no regenerating health, but compared to a typical Arena Shooter there's less of a focus there. There's also less movement control in the air compared to typical Arena Shooters.

Basically, the DOOM multiplayer is a console-friendly Arena Shooter, for good or ill. Personally, as a console gamer I enjoy the multiplayer quite a bit.

Will they do another double xp weekend? I missed the last one :'(

No idea, but they usually do one whenever they make a notable update to the multiplayer. And who knows when or if they'll update it again.

Are these worth playing? I'm craving more content and will start diving into user-made stuff if it's any good.

Ixion

Are these worth playing? I'm craving more content and will start diving into user-made stuff if it's any good.

To be honest, I used to be a big proponent of SnapMap, but the loading times have gotten longer and longer as SnapMap received more updates and content. It's such a pain to load up, that I haven't played SnapMap in months.

With that said, yeah the "Featured" section does generally have quality campaigns and maps. I'm not sure how often id Software has been adding new Campaigns/Maps to the "Featured" section, but there should be good ones there regardless.

Of course you can always just browse the creations by category, most played, highest rated, etc.

so i just got a gsync monitor, set everything up, tried out DOOM, and I noticed there is a constant green "g sync" in the upper right corner of the screen. I already took off the gsync indicator from the nvidia control panel, but where is this one coming from? Directly from the game? Anyone know how to get rid of it?

taoofjord

Keep in mind a good portion of the multiplayer was paid DLC before. Now everybody has the DLC for free. In fact, those three maps you listed are all DLC maps. And the DLC maps are indeed phenomenal. Also, some of the monsters, guns, armor, etc, were paid DLC as well.

So the multiplayer is definitely more varied and full-featured now. I'd say the main reason people criticize the multiplayer is because of loadouts. Since all the weapons are available via loadout (except the one power weapon on each map), that means the weapons have to be balanced across the board instead of something like a Rocket Launcher being and feeling more powerful. Also, the use of loadouts means less focus on controlling weapon spawn points around the map. Obviously there's still a good amount of map control involved since there's still various pickups around the map with no regenerating health, but compared to a typical Arena Shooter there's less of a focus there. There's also less movement control in the air compared to typical Arena Shooters.

Basically, the DOOM multiplayer is a console-friendly Arena Shooter, for good or ill. Personally, as a console gamer I enjoy the multiplayer quite a bit.

No idea, but they usually do one whenever they make a notable update to the multiplayer. And who knows when or if they'll update it again.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. Personally, I'm having a blast with both this and Quake Champions.

Side note, as fantastic as Doom's campaign looks I hope the next game looks more like the multiplayer maps. The vibrant and varied colors and overall art direction are just mind blowing to me.

Top Bottom