• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

You might find DoomLauncher of interest; kind of like QuakeLauncher, which connects to the Quaddicted database, this one connects right to idgames/ and can download the WADs straight from there for running.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The map pack that comes with the latest version of Brutal Doom is really enjoyable. Currently on Map 13. Playing through on Ultraviolence and only died a few times as the weapons can be really overpowered; the double barreled shotgun can kill a Cacodemon and Hell Knight in one shot.

Some nice enemy/weapon surprises and jump scares even too.

One thing I like about the Brutal mapset is that you can play it with any mod you want. Even no mods, if you want - not even the mod the mapset is designed for! Totally vanilla is very much an option.

Though I've heard it's rather underwhelming. A lot of maps cribbed straight from FreeDoom. Haven't tried it myself to know. Mark says it's unfinished, so I expect those FreeDoom maps to fall by the wayside eventually.

Really? Ah, I'm sure I've come across some sections where you need to jump to get a keycard, for example. To be honest I find BD so much fun I find it hard to go back to vanilla...maybe one day I'm sure!

lazygecko

I didn't like the Hell on Earth segment at all. It was like all the worst aspects of late 90's/early 00's FPS level design where they were more interested in trying to depict realistic locations at the expense of sensible gameplay with a good flow in the visual layout/design. I got lost and/or just wandered around aimlessly for so long without knowing where I was supposed to go or what I was supposed to do, and all the locations just looked so similar. Eventually I had enough of the frustration and just cheated my way out of one of the worse city maps. The hell episode was much, much better.

Really? Ah, I'm sure I've come across some sections where you need to jump to get a keycard, for example. To be honest I find BD so much fun I find it hard to go back to vanilla...maybe one day I'm sure!
Well, maybe it requires a source port - it's not like Brutal invented jumping in Doom or anything.

Yeah some of the levels are a little too long and sprawling. I prefer more compact maps rather than open...which reminds me, I really should finish 10 Sector...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I discovered another odd bug in Brutal DOOM to go with the "resurrect dead AI Marines" bug. Since BD makes burning barrel things have a damaging radius, (In that they emit a damaging pulse on a timer to simulate being too hot to get close to) occasionally an enemy will walk too close to one and get distracted infinitely in an attempt to "kill" the barrel. But since the barrel cannot be killed, they never stop attacking it.

I've come upon this twice. Once with a Baron of Hell and then with an Imp. It's quite entertaining.

Alright, getting tired of this Brutal Doom Megawad's shit now. Just done the massive neighbourhood level, now onto another seemingly huge one. Bah.

It's a shame because the attention to details and set pieces are really cool. I can't see myself finishing it though.

lazygecko

Alright, getting tired of this Brutal Doom Megawad's shit now. Just done the massive neighbourhood level, now onto another seemingly huge one. Bah.

It's a shame because the attention to details and set pieces are really cool. I can't see myself finishing it though.

Like I said, the city maps are the worst by a huge margin. It gets exponentially better in the next episode.

JNT

So, Vulkan is out today...how long do you think until we see GZDoom and other source ports start to use it?
Gains would be small in terms of performance. You would cut out the OSX demographic. Immature beta drivers. All in all, it will be a while before the bigger engines make the switch.

Like I said, the city maps are the worst by a huge margin. It gets exponentially better in the next episode.

The end of this episode after the 2 massive levels has been really good, actually. The train level was a cool set piece, and I'm now at the end of Map 19 with
the Inferno Demon. A health bar boss in Doom!?
:O

inm8num2

The first Doom level has been recreated in Unreal Engine 4

While Doom is 23 years old this year, it's still a beautiful game. That hasn't stopped Unreal Engine 4 user captain_slow48 from recreating the game's first level, as a means to gain familiarity with the engine. As the images above and below attest, the first map in Doom's first episode still looks aesthetically pleasing, and it's mainly the lighting advancements that make it look prettier in 2016.

According to the creator, the aim was "to be as faithful to the original aesthetic as possible, while adding some more details to the scenery". See a selection of the images below, but for the full set click through the the Unreal Engine forum page here.

hGOtsGX.jpg

46p4g2y.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Fancy lighting effects and bump mapping don't make a game. There's no reason to remake the level with the same simple polygons just to add those effects. If you're going to do it, remake the level using the same layout but with detailed assets. This is just silly and useless. You could do this exact same thing in a source port (Based on Quake) with fancy lighting and bump mapping, but most source ports (If any) don't have bump mapping because it's useless in a game like this.

This is worse and more useless than that Mario 64 "port" a while ago.

DOOM looks its best with sharp rectangular textured walls and big blocky pixellated textures and sprites. (Resolution is up to personal preference.) A little bit of fancy lighting is fine.

Really digging Erkattäññe. The mid-90s style of maps are still my favorites, before the slaughtermap gluttony took over. Its also got all these lovely 80s pop music midis.

One graphic modifier I've been using to replace "Beautiful Doom" is "Smooth Doom". Smooth Doom basically gives double animation frames to a lot of weapons/enemies for a smoother animating game, but still keeping that Vanilla gameplay in-tact. Lot of little visual details to break up the monotony, like a few alternate death animations say shooting an imp in bottom half vs the top, but its not gratuitous or anything. Some riflemen alternate skins that don't disrupt the immediate visual information of "ok that's a rifle guy, that's a shotgun guy, gotta take out that hitscanner first, etc". Its all very easy to turn on and off in the Smooth Doom options for your preference. Here's a trailer.

You know it actually kinda looks like Unreal 1 now, with the lighting and all.
I dunno, even Unreal was more subdued with its lighting than this.

I haven't tried this in a while, but I recall the initial releases being pretty good. Although I'm still surprised the mod maker went with hit points instead of Doom's existing percentage-based health, since Hocus Pocus had percentage-based health as well.

A new MegaWAD from skillsaw (mapper on Vanguard, Valiant, Lunatic, etc) and a few guests just came out of nowhere with a release candidate! I've blasted through the first few maps, seems to be a solid continuation of the mapping style from Valiant with setpieces and lots of little traps everywhere. Lots of new art in this too, I think these "ancient aliens" may have hired the same decorators the Covenant did...

2eqcJRp.png

cFbldPnl.png

L7eRSYDl.png

uoZqrzMl.png

Doomworld thread
Download

Happy Mother's Doom everyone.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Been working my way through The Plutonia Experiment in Brutal DOOM for the past few days and I must say I love it more than Evilution. I don't know why. The levels are just better designed. Apparently because the entirety of Plutonia was designed by two people (Who only contributed two levels to Evilution) so it's more consistent. It just feels better. But it's harder. The two secret levels are much better than the ones in Evilution. Named "Cyberden" and "Go 2 It" respectively they're two super hard levels. But so satisfying to beat. Cyberden was really fun. You have to release and defeat 4 Cyberdemons in order to leave and there's no way to just go back to the normal game when you do because it forces you to also beat Go 2 It, which is, in their own words, "The hardest level we've ever made".

I tweeted about it, but the enemy counts for ALL skills is as follows:
Spider Mastermind: 1
Cyberdemon: 13
Demon: 19
Baron of hell: 18
Arch-vile: 19
Pain elemental: 11
Heavy weapon dude: 22
Revenant: 49
Mancubus: 28
Arachnotron: 26

The best part is getting all the enemies to infight while you run off somewhere else to find other things. The level is loosely based on Map 1 of DOOM II where it has some familiar areas, but it's completely different overall. And fortunately it gives you plenty of Megaspheres (9 total) and ammo to do the task. I refused to leave until I defeated the very last Cyberdemon, even though the door was right there. It's just so satisfying.

My routine for all DOOM games is to leave the heavy health and armor items for last. Defeat everyone in the level and go onto the next with full health and as much ammo as you can find and you'll always be ready. Not every level has a Megasphere, or a Soul Sphere or Green or Blue armor, but most have at least one or two of something you can use.

The extra engine stuff Final DOOM does makes the game much more exciting. Like invisible walls and bridges, see-through doors, instantly opening doors and lowering floors that make it seem like the wall just disappeared and allow for enemies to teleport in much more instantly than before. Plus the countless surprise attacks that happen pretty much every time you pick up a suspiciously located important item. These games love that stuff. I remember being impressed just at the invisible bridges and see-through doors that I loaded up the IWAD in my editor and had to find out how they did it back then.

It's just a shame that a lot of levels (In ALL DOOM games overall) have misplaced secret sectors that you can't access, whether it's one accidentally placed on a teleporter sector that you'll never set foot on or in an area you won't ever access by mistake. So you can't get true 100% on any game. I'd love to see someone fix all the IWAD files for all the main DOOM games that either removes or relocates these secret sectors. Just so you can get 100%.

Also, Brutal DOOM seems to have a problem creating invisible enemies that count towards the total but can't be found to kill. (IDDT all you want, you won't see it) I suspect it has something to do with Lost Souls. And maybe this is fixed. I'm still on v20.

I'm only on the Hurt Me Plenty equivalent though. When I finish I might attempt Ultraviolence or Black Metal again. I've beaten all the other games on at least UV and most on BM so far. Including Evilution. But I had some trouble on Map 1 when I started Plutonia and switched to HMP. I regret not going back early on and trying again at least on UV.

Next it's definitely time to tackle DTWID and D2TWID.

The Final Doom engine is more or less completely unchanged from Doom 2, actually. They just figured out how to break the map format in ways that didn't completely glitch out the engine, but instead produced results were beneficial to them; self-refencing sectors, they call it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The Final Doom engine is more or less completely unchanged from Doom 2, actually. They just figured out how to break the map format in ways that didn't completely glitch out the engine, but instead produced results were beneficial to them; self-refencing sectors, they call it.
Yeah, I remember teaching myself how to do that.

I don't know if it's an exploit or something they added but whatever lets you basically make platforms instantly move to their new height (Instead of moving at like 8/16/32/whatever units per second) is my favorite. Though now that I think of it, I think they first used this feature/exploit in the secret level in Episode 4. Where you're walking down a hallway to what you assume is a door and before you get to it, it disappears instantly and imps are already there ready to strike. That really taught me DOOM had more to offer than I thought.

I'm glad I'm finally playing all the games from start to finish without Godmode. I did Hexen a long time ago for the first time and it was wonderful. (But cheesing it at the end by killing the final boss by saving up all your invincibility flasks and using them one at a time while grinding him down kinda felt like cheating, but I don't care. It's part of the game! I cheese DOOM by saving all the most powerful armor and health items for after I beat every enemy so I always enter a level as healed as possible. Is that cheating? No way! This is how I DOOM!)

I still have to do Heretic for real. But I already tried the last two episodes (4 and 5 because I have the 5 episode special Shadows of the Serpent Riders edition.) with the lowest skill and I still couldn't get far. It's harder than Episode 4 of DOOM on even HMP. I would love to see a Brutal Heretic and Brutal Hexen though.

What are the absolute best mods and engines for Doom 1/2? Im guessing Doomsday engine and Brutal Doom?
I prefer GZDoom. DoomsDay may have some extra stuff but GZDoom or just ZDoom (GZDoom is the OpenGL version I think) works better for me. The only thing I miss is the launcher. I hate that I can't easily select WAD/PKG files to load. I want to play that Alien game above but I',m too lazy to disable (By opening the INI file in a text editor and commenting out the line) Brutal DOOM first. Because the two are NOT compatible. I wish there was an exclusions list in the INI where if a certain WAD is loaded then don't load a specific set of files. Or, you know, a damn proper launcher with checkboxes and WAD group sets.

And yes, Brutal DOOM is like the only way I play the game anymore. Even with all its bugs and problems.

I don't know if it's an exploit or something they added but whatever lets you basically make platforms instantly move to their new height (Instead of moving at like 8/16/32/whatever units per second) is my favorite. Though now that I think of it, I think they first used this feature/exploit in the secret level in Episode 4. Where you're walking down a hallway to what you assume is a door and before you get to it, it disappears instantly and imps are already there ready to strike. That really taught me DOOM had more to offer than I thought.
Exploit. It's what happens when you tell a sector to lower to the lowest neighboring floor, when it's actually lower than all surrounding floors.

What are the absolute best mods and engines for Doom 1/2? Im guessing Doomsday engine and Brutal Doom?
Brutal Doom isn't really the best, it's just the most popular. With a disturbingly cult-like following, for that matter. Still, try it, I guess, just bear in mind it's a mod and not the one true way to play the game like some insist.

Personally, when it comes to gameplay modifications, I prefer to break out Samsara, and I know Demonsteele is very popular as well (though I never really cared much for it). There are other mods like Beautiful Doom or Smooth Doom that mostly leave the balance alone (or totally, in the latter's case), opting solely to make what's already there look better.

Oh, but all of these run only on ZDoom and derivatives (like GZDoom, which is basically "ZDoom but with a hardware renderer"), so you'd have to opt for those over Doomsday. Though you're welcome to still try other source ports; I frequently use PrBoom+/GlBoom+ for watching demos of Boom-format-or-below maps, since pretty much nobody uses ZDoom's demo-recording, and ZDoom isn't compatible with the old demo format.

I feel like his interest in it has been known for a while, and I'm gonna stay interested in Blackroom until his demo of it comes out and turns out to be shit or something (a very real possibility).

Nokterian

Well getting DOOM tattooed tomorrow under my left arm..why do you ask? Been playing the new doom and it brought me back to when i was young and why i love doom ever since. Some will say don't do it but hey i already have diablo tattoos on both my arms not fully done yet but there is space for these words to put there.

Just wanted to say this because for the love of doom i have ever since i was a kid so it is worth it and people will see it when i am walking in a shirt and will be damn proud of it.

Top Bottom