• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Eternal - PS5 Gameplay (Ray Tracing Mode)

rubhen925

Another Next gen upgrade free of charge if you own the PS4 version lol. Launched earlier today. All the info listed below:

- Regardless of if you own the base game or the DLC for the PS4, the PS5 free upgrade is available to download as a whole package. The PS5 install size is 68.66 GB
- If you own just the DLC the PS5 will detect this and will only allow you to play the DLC. So if you want to play the base game, you'll have to purchase that separately
- 3 modes, Performance, Balanced, & Ray Tracing Mode
- Performance mode runs at 120FPS and displays in 1584p resolution
- Balanced mode runs at 4K 60FPS
- Ray Tracing mode runs at 60 FPS and displays in 1800p resolution, with ray tracing enabled
- The game does have in game HDR setting and has multiple options to tweak it.
- As usual with these next gen upgrades, improved loading times, better textures.
- I had one instance when the FPS fell for a second right before entering the elevator at the end of the video. Other than that it was smooth.
- Lastly if you have analog drift issues this game will become a nightmare. I have it on my left analog and I couldn't move forward half the video. I had to press into the analog stick hard to get it to work....

PS5 Ray Tracing Mode Gameplay:

rubhen925

"Doom Eternal with Ray Tracing" - show locations with almost no reflections
I wish i had better news. I specifically kept looking around to see big differences. Didn't see that much in terms of reflections. I'm sure DF is already working on a video about this.

LordOfChaos

Ray tracing mode still does 60fps...Since that's the most my TV does anyways, good enough for me

Control's 30fps ray tracing mode, something about it in comparison just feels like a blurry mess, I think the AA method has something to do with making it more smeary than 30fps even would be, but anyways it just wasn't worth not being in 60fps. If the choice was between 60fps and ray tracing I'd go 60 every day, but it's good to see that this is doing 60fps even with the ray tracing.

Be extra nice if Sony added 1440p support

Last edited:

Skifi28

Not working? What seems to be the problem? I had issues as well, took a couple tries to get it to work
There's a lock icon on the PS5 version in the library and the only two options are either to download the PS4 version or buy the PS5 one. Apparently it's a known issue and they're working on it.

Calverz

Thanks for creating a dedicated thread for the ps5 version of this update but fail to mention the biggest differentiator, the nightmare of installing process lol

BigLee74

The reflections are nice.

There are several locations in the opening level that showcase them well. Always nice seeing the environment reflected around you properly when looking in windows.

Subtly improves an already great looking game.

Armorian

Banned
I wish i had better news. I specifically kept looking around to see big differences. Didn't see that much in terms of reflections. I'm sure DF is already working on a video about this.

This is one of the problems with this game I had, Doom 2016 had much more interesting locations that showed gfx engine in much better light. ID showed reflections demo from much farther part of the game, it's not your fault you don't have save :messenger_winking:

Also: Fuck this game save system, I tried to complete it 2 times and on both occasions my saves fucked up.... Now I will try it for the third time, with RT

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I just tried this on pc
game runs basically locked 3440x1440 @120fps on a 3080
this game looks prettier
shame it's so fucking bad compared to 2016 doom

can't take any screenshots this game seems to hate print screen.. no idea why

Last edited:

rubhen925

Thanks for creating a dedicated thread for the ps5 version of this update but fail to mention the biggest differentiator, the nightmare of installing process lol
Lol my bad. At this point all these PS5 upgrades run into the same issues. I had this with FF7 Remake and a couple others. It's a known issue no? Xbox Smart delivery is honestly the best. Recognizes the system and downloads the best version. Sony needs to fix this....

Calverz

Lol my bad. At this point all these PS5 upgrades run into the same issues. I had this with FF7 Remake and a couple others. It's a known issue no? Xbox Smart delivery is honestly the best. Recognizes the system and downloads the best version. Sony needs to fix this....
Agreed! I found it an absolute nightmare to convert my rainbow six siege disc into ps5 version. In the end I just settled on buying the game digitally.

Spukc

ZPFpfpc.jpg

i took a picture of my monitor running doom eternal RTX with flash on (easier to see)
impressive game just wow

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

Spukc

The reflections are nice.

There are several locations in the opening level that showcase them well. Always nice seeing the environment reflected around you properly when looking in windows.

Subtly improves an already great looking game.
try the rocket train intro level.. after you get off,.. It's BOOM RT

also heads up.. Your character reflects.. But it's the MP version.. looks stupid as hell as the movement/position is not correct

Last edited:
Game already looked good enough as it is. Why waste resources on ray tracing?

These types of games benefit more from increase frame rates than flashy visuals.

Kangx

All modes use DRS, so the listed resolutions are max. I guess DF and VGtech gona have the comparison coming soon.

JeloSWE

I just tried this on pc
game runs basically locked 3440x1440 @120fps on a 3080
this game looks prettier
shame it's so fucking bad compared to 2016 doom

can't take any screenshots this game seems to hate print screen.. no idea why
Have you tried win+alt+prnt combo? works well for HDR games.

FlyyGOD

So much misinformation about how raytracing was used in this thread . NEOGAF isn't known for jumping to conclusions. Im genuinely surprised by this.

Top Bottom