• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

| DOOM Eternal OT | : Dragged Ripping & Tearing Into The New Decade!

WoodyStare

I’m currently at the ARC Complex and playing on Ultra Violence. This has to be one of the most insane games I’ve ever played, but it’s such a blast. So many moments give you goosebumps with its frantic pacing and enemy waves. It just feels amazing to play. The soundtrack (like the first game) is also top-notch. Playing this with headphones is blowing me away.

Jebron

As someone who plays an unhealthy amount of CoD and Destiny 2 on PS5, playing Doom Eternal with a controller is just disappointing. I just downloaded the game on my 1080GTX PC (no ray-tracing) for the first time and playing this game with a keyboard and mouse is INSANE. The ability to quick switch so well is a complete game changer, the game feels so much more fluid. I have no issues with aiming or using all the Slayer's abilities on controller, but just being able to switch weapons without the restriction of the weapon wheel feels so good.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I have no issues with aiming or using all the Slayer's abilities on controller, but just being able to switch weapons without the restriction of the weapon wheel feels so good.
The weapon wheel is of course a necessary evil, but it makes it very hard to quickly and precisely switch weapons. Aside from that, you can't switch a weapon while aiming. A controller makes it more difficult in other ways, too. You aren't actively aiming anytime you jump, dash, or flame belch. You aren't actively moving when you change equipment, change grenades, or equip the crucible(unless you reach over with your right thumb?).

I play on controller, but with a Wolverine Ultimate that has 6 buttons on the back for remapping, in tandem with reWASD, so I don't use the weapon wheel. I'm in progress learning to put the weapon switching onto non-face buttons to avoid ever pulling thumbs off the stick, but it's hard to rewire my brain to handle all that in parallel from the back of the controller after being used to simple thumb gameplay.

P.S.- I realize I'm a heretic for not using KB/M on PC, I just like the trigger pulls and rumble among other things.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
These expansions really give you a rough fucking. You have empowered demons, possessed demons, and cursed demons. Stone motherfuckers, screeching buff shits, peek-a-boo eyeball turrets, flying invulnerable golden demons with pitchforks. This shit makes Eternal base game look like little league.

Pt. I was ok, but I'm really enjoying Pt. II a lot more. The levels are more open with different pathways and better flow. Pt. I has a lot of narrow corridors with limited aerial options. Anyway, I'll probably finish Pt. II tomorrow. Looking forward to the Horde Mode. Hopefully we'll get co-op support.

WoodyStare

Finished the base game on Ultra Violence yesterday. The final hour is just relentless, but a hell of a way to end the game. Can’t imagine what the DLC is like if this is considered easy by comparison. I might wait a little while before playing it.

Also surprised how many Master Tokens they give you towards the end of the game. I almost had full upgrades on all of my weapons by the end which I wasn’t expecting. The flaming hook on the shotgun is definitely the best and never gets old. The amount of armor it gives you makes the game much more manageable in chaotic situations. The Crucible, however, kinda gave me weird Oblivion combat vibes when I was expecting more energy sword from Halo. Hopefully they fix this in the next game.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Doing much better in this run. I realized I was still playing on normal. Maybe after this easy run I’ll try to tackle the next difficulty. Keep moving is helping a lot 👍 having a blast now, but I still feel like I’m in a speed boat when I’m playing this game 😂 holy shit is it fast... these developers need to lay off the amphetamines!
Having a blast?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Doom Eternal
So I was a huge fan of Doom 2016, and got this on my radar back when it was released. Due to a huge backlog I just skipped it and kinda forgot about it.

Picked it up on game pass and got prepared to kick some demon ass.

First mission seemed okay. Then all the platforming began. Then all the fucking sweaty battles even on "hurt me plenty." I literally had to take breaks after each encounter because my hands was so sweaty.

The combat got away from focus so often and this is not what doom is about.

I loved the history. Loved how bad ass Doom Guy was. I literally hated I had to Google some places on how the hell to progress further.

I had a love hate relationship with doom eternal, and ended up hating it.

If the next Doom will be more like eternal and less 2016 then I'm out.

Ended up double-dipping, now i have it on steam and xbox.

I know I'm two year late, but you do know if you bought it digitally on xbox then you had it for both pc and Xbox right?

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Doom Eternal
So I was a huge fan of Doom 2016, and got this on my radar back when it was released. Due to a huge backlog I just skipped it and kinda forgot about it.

First mission seemed okay. Then all the platforming began. Then all the fucking sweaty battles even on "hurt me plenty." I literally had to take breaks after each encounter because my hands was so sweaty.

I loved the history. Loved how bad ass Doom Guy was. I literally hated I had to Google some places on how the hell to progress further.

A man after my own heart. Doom eternal was an utterly shite 'Doom'

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Doom Eternal

I know I'm two year late, but you do know if you bought it digitally on xbox then you had it for both pc and Xbox right?
Git good.

The_Mike

I was being a bit silly but I actually think the git good argument holds merit here.

If you play chess and you aren't good at it, it would very frustrating and not fun. The same can be said here.

Problem isn't that I'm not good. I could play it on my pc and easily go through the killing part.

It's that I don't like the new game play. I preferred the previous one which was why I was so dissapointed.

It's like buying a sequel to a nascar game, has the same name, but now is a formula one game instead.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Problem isn't that I'm not good. I could play it on my pc and easily go through the killing part.

It's that I don't like the new game play. I preferred the previous one which was why I was so dissapointed.

It's like buying a sequel to a nascar game, has the same name, but now is a formula one game instead.
I get the frustration entirely but I'd always rather developers go with new ideas than be stagnant.

It's a different game for sure but it's also extremely rewarding in ways that 2016 was not.

I like both white a bit but I play them for different reasons and Id rather have the option of two different experiences that are derived from Doom rather than 1.

The_Mike

I get the frustration entirely but I'd always rather developers go with new ideas than be stagnant.

It's a different game for sure but it's also extremely rewarding in ways that 2016 was not.

I like both white a bit but I play them for different reasons and Id rather have the option of two different experiences that are derived from Doom rather than 1.

We are down to opinions.

You like it hard, I like it where its more about killing.

They are two different games, for different audiences. There were no reason to call me a shitty player

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
We are down to opinions.

You like it hard, I like it where its more about killing.

They are two different games, for different audiences. There were no reason to call me a shitty player

When did I call you a shitty player?

And they both are about killing.

Last edited:

The_Mike

When did I call you a shitty player?

And they both are about killing.

"git gut" is more or less saying my skills are bad and I should improve.

My opinion still stands. I didn't enjoy the game for the most part.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
"git gut" is more or less saying my skills are bad and I should improve.

My opinion still stands. I didn't enjoy the game for the most part.

It's an internet meme. I didn't call you a shitty player.

I never said your opinion didn't stand k simply gave mine which differs from yours.

It's a forum. Not a courtroom.

Codes 208

Doom Eternal

Two years later and xbox on pc is still a shitfest i wouldnt touch with a ten foot pole

Case in point: i got gamepass on pc just to play halo infinite’s campaign on release and the store was so fucking bugged (it locked me to my standard windows account while xbox uses a different email, nor ally this is a non issue but not this time. And then when i finally got to download it, i coudlnt even play it due to a bug with the xbox service app.) that i ended up just buying the damn thing on steam.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Is it just me or does the gameplay on this one seem less tight than previous Doom?

I'm early in the game and I'm ok with the platforming and exploration, but my main grip so far is the combat. Seems worse than Doom 3.

Also, I'm not impressed at all with ray tracing mode on PS5.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Is it just me or does the gameplay on this one seem less tight than previous Doom?

I'm early in the game and I'm ok with the platforming and exploration, but my main grip so far is the combat. Seems worse than Doom 3.

Also, I'm not impressed at all with ray tracing mode on PS5.

Woah woah haha. I know a lot of people didnt like the resource based management of hte combat, but NO WAY its worse than Doom 3.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Woah woah haha. I know a lot of people didnt like the resource based management of hte combat, but NO WAY its worse than Doom 3.

Lol, idk I'm missing way more shots comparing with Doom 3, but still, I'm way too early in the game, my doom guy lacks polish.

Now that you mention it, it may be very well also be resource management related, since I've needed to run away a couple of times mid battle because I had no ammo at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom