• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Next Gen upgrade performance targets revealed

HAL-01

It's a legitimate point, take time to notice that those who like to quote "strawman" arguments are typically pompous asses who have no ability to even consider viewpoints that diverge from thier own bubble, while meanwhile making zero counterpoint or rebuttal.
Your post is the definition of a strawman. You brought up a tangent that’s not the focus of the discussion, and tried to fight that instead of the real one.
If you don’t like people pointing it out then don’t do it

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Your post is the definition of a strawman. You brought up a tangent that’s not the focus of the discussion, and tried to fight that instead of the real one.
If you don’t like people pointing it out then don’t do it

It was completely on point, unrealistic benchmarks for any of the systems is silly and pointless. Just because you can't see that doesn't make it an intentional side step.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
1800p/60fps with raytracing is a nice result, but I don't know if I'll want to replay the game on the PS5. Maybe if I get my hands on the expansions.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, my one concern with the Bethesda buyout was that I own the PS5 versions of the Doom games and that maybe Eternal wouldn't get the PS5 upgrade they'd advertised ages ago. Really happy to see that it's happening though.
Great game although I'm still not sure whether I prefer Eternal or the original. Ah, doesn't really matter I suppose as they're both really enjoyable.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's a legitimate point, take time to notice that those who like to quote "strawman" arguments are typically pompous asses who have no ability to even consider viewpoints that diverge from thier own bubble, while meanwhile making zero counterpoint or rebuttal.
It is a point yes, but it is not relevant. The XSX vs PS5 seems more a deviation/diversion to get another discussion going. Nice for the subtle passive aggressive insult there, classy ;).

This is not a different viewpoint on the topic at hand. It is another topic which does not sound like it is meant to converge to “RT on XSX, same experience on XSS (the argument made by MS and XSS diehards) at a lower resolution… means RT too” at all to be honest.

Last edited:

HAL-01

It was completely on point, unrealistic benchmarks for any of the systems is silly and pointless. Just because you can't see that doesn't make it an intentional side step.
That’s it though, the unrealistic expectations from hardware aren’t the point. The discussion is about wether or not ms set the unrealistic expectations themselves.

It’s a pretty lame discussion tbh I’m just excited for the patch

THE DUCK

It is a point yes, but it is not relevant. The XSX vs PS5 seems more a deviation/diversion to get another discussion going. Nice for the subtle passive aggressive insult there, classy ;).

This is not a different viewpoint on the topic at hand. It is another topic which does not sound like it is meant to converge to “RT on XSX, same experience on XSS (the argument made by MS and XSS diehards) at a lower resolution… means RT too” at all to be honest.

Probably more of an observation of the past, every single time I've seen someone break out the "strawman" it's the actual diversion from the point, when they actually have no reasonable counter point. And for the record, calling someone's arguement that is an insult to begin with.....I just respond in kind.

That’s it though, the unrealistic expectations from hardware aren’t the point. The discussion is about wether or not ms set the unrealistic expectations themselves.

It's 4 tf console. They announced it.

Don't know what more they could have done.

They said same "great experience". Not "same great experience".

Banjo64

cumsessed

It is a lame discussion.

Taking a step back from the advertising or console wars; a £249 console (that comes with a £50 pad included) can run Doom Eternal at potentially high settings at 1080p 120fps.

I’d be genuinely curious to see if anyone thinks that’s actually not impressive?

THE DUCK

Which is exactly why I bring up ps5 and series X,which are advertised at 4k at 120hz, even 8k. Yet these machines don't hit these expectations set by sony and ms, yet nobody is complaining. That's why it's directly relevant.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It is a lame discussion.

Taking a step back from the advertising or console wars; a £249 console (that comes with a £50 pad included) can run Doom Eternal at potentially high settings at 1080p 120fps.

I’d be genuinely curious to see if anyone thinks that’s actually not impressive?
It is genuinely impressive, it is also a 2021 software update running on a late 2020 HW.

It plays to XSS’ strengths and when people discussed a 4 TFLOPS console running code optimised more or less for a 12 TFLOPS one and looked at the memory size and bandwidth difference losing some features and making some other compromises was expected. MS’s marketing and XSS df was the one indirectly or directly arguing otherwise.

Last edited:
Resolution isn’t everything lmao, the game will run at higher graphical settings on the Series S

This free update optimizes DOOM Eternal for next-gen machines, offering improved visuals, increased performance and support for ray-tracing, or 4K resolution at 60 frames per second, or an optional 120 FPS mode.

So yeah, the One X version is better if you want to play the last gen version of the game at a higher resolution, the Series S is better by far if you want to play the next gen version of the game at 120fps.
Not to mention load faster

Riky

$MSFT
Does the X1X have a 120 fps mode? You seem to be implying that the game is better on that platform. The only thing funny is that comparison.

Jason Ronald said clearly before launch that the Series S versions would remove graphical features that don't affect core gameplay, this has been the case, he was spot on.
It's the same old people complaining, when the Series X comes out clearly on top as it is more and more often they want to talk about Series S instead, coping mechanism.

Riky

$MSFT
You didn't. They've asked me numerous times to provide a quote where MS said that difference will be only in resolution in games between the two. No problem, did that. Now you.
"Developers have a whole host of different techniques, whether that’s changing the resolution of their title, things like dynamic resolution scaling frame to frame — that’s something we’ve seen a lot of adoption of, especially towards the end of this generation,” explains Ronald. “And obviously the ability to enable and display different visual effects, without actually implementing the fundamental gameplay.”

Banjo64

cumsessed
"Developers have a whole host of different techniques, whether that’s changing the resolution of their title, things like dynamic resolution scaling frame to frame — that’s something we’ve seen a lot of adoption of, especially towards the end of this generation,” explains Ronald. “And obviously the ability to enable and display different visual effects, without actually implementing the fundamental gameplay.”

And the quote is met with absolute silence. Man is a pure troll plain and simple.

assurdum

Banned

Xbox Series X
  • Performance Mode: 1800p – 120 FPS
  • Balanced Mode: 2160p – 60 FPS
  • Ray Tracing Mode: 1800p – 60 FPS
Xbox Series S
  • Performance Mode: 1080p – 120 FPS
  • Balanced Mode: 1440p – 60 FPS
  • Ray Tracing Mode: Not Available
PlayStation 5
  • Performance Mode: 1584p – 120 FPS
  • Balanced Mode: 2160p – 60 FPS
  • Ray Tracing Mode: 1800p – 60 FPS
PC
  • Ray Tracing Mode: Availability and performance depends on a user’s PC hardware.
All modes feature dynamic resolution scaling. Balanced & Performance Modes not available with Ray Tracing. Performance Mode requires a 120hz compatible display. Balanced Mode requires a 4K compatible display.
I don't understand why such difference in resolution just at 120 FPS

Last edited:
And the quote is met with absolute silence. Man is a pure troll plain and simple.

Pure troll? LOL Sure.

But claiming that MS NEVER said that difference will be only in resolution isn't trolling. It is straight being living in delusion. Better trolling than being delusional.

Anyway, he sorta implies with that qoute they might change visual settings.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Pure troll? LOL Sure.

But claiming that MS NEVER said that difference will be only in resolution isn't trolling. It is straight being living in delusion. Better trolling than being delusional.

Anyway, he sorta implies with that qoute they might change visual settings.
To be fair, Microsoft did say that, rather stupidly imo as 3rd parties can use the XSS in any way they see fit.
And ID is first party now, but i'm sure Microsoft were mainly talking about first party when saing all the 'same graphics, just at a lower resoluton' stuff. Also i'm not sure they really took into account ray tracing when saying that, although they should of done.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
NO SAVE TRANSFER BETWEEN PS4 AND PS5!!!??

PHHHIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless

Zimmy68

Can we get a "date" target? The game is starting to get long in the tooth. They have been promising the next gen upgrade since before the console release.

Zimmy68

I see on Reddit the date is actually June 29th. How that isn't in the title of this thread is strange to me.

Md Ray

Your claim isn't valid here. Doom Eternal wasn't developed with next gen in mind, it was developed for last gen. This update is a patch to a last gen game. You can't judge the xss for not having any ray tracing here. Judge it in the new gen games.
Ok, Medium is a new gen game and isn't available to play on last-gen consoles. Why is RT missing on the Series S whereas it's present in the Series X version?

MaKTaiL

NO SAVE TRANSFER BETWEEN PS4 AND PS5!!!??

PHHHIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless
Fallen Order released a PS5 version this week that manages to detect the PS4 save file in the drive and automatically transfer it. I don't understand how other devs are still struggling to make it work.

Last edited:
I finished DE+ DLC on the PS5 a couple months ago. It may sell them some more copies but I don't think I'll be installing it again for this upgrade. I might try it for the MP

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Fallen Order released a PS5 version this week that manages to detect the PS4 save file in the drive and automatically unlock it. I don't understand how other devs are still struggling to make it work.
huh interesting, i guess it depends from the developers end as well.

Riky

$MSFT
That's exactly what he said. But we can see, the compromises are more than just resolution, in multiple games now.

I've just quoted him saying differently two months before the release of the consoles, ignoring it doesn't change that fact.
It's the same as the "we believe in generations quote" you can interpret it different ways, when he says the same "next gen experience" he means the core gameplay is the same, as he said in the more in depth interview.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

And RAY TRACING. I mean there's a portion of precious silicon area in the GPU being devoted just for this computation alone, something not found on the X1 or X1X. You conveniently leaving this out is hilarious though.

If you're implying that MS didn't lie about "same experience" because "muh 120fps" then what about those games where 120fps is missing from the S whereas it's present on the X like Destiny 2, Cold War? What do you have to say about that?

Clearly it's very inconsistent and isn't providing the "same experience as X, at lower res" as MS hyped it up. But hey, keep damage controlling though.

Can you provide an example of a game where the core gameplay experience is different between the two systems? Outside of graphical fidelity, of course.

SkylineRKR

To be honest when Series S was announced I didn't believe it would offer any RT at all and I suspected 120hz to be saved for some indies or old ass games. The system has RT. Doom could offer RT on it, but either at 30fps or a sub 900p resolution which they probably don't find worthwhile enough. Honestly I don't give a shit. I won't rebuy it for PS5, I will play the S version at 120hz.

X1X is discountinued. And it was priced 499 4 years ago. Surely X1X would cost way less now if it is still on the market.

No its not. There are still some odd 1X around and they typicall sell for 350+, there are a few around still being offered over here. The Series S has one caveat, or 2 perhaps. And thats the RAM limiting One X BC. And the small storage but that can be circumvented and depends on end user.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

One x uses DDR 5 while the Series S is using DDR 6. Plus Series S has a higher bandwidth along with an ssd .

The 1X does have more bandwidth I think, even with the older ram that wider bus pulls it out. It has what, 1GB more memory available to games as well.

Last edited:

Shane89

i wonder why su much higher res for XSX.

Does TECH 7 engine till use the MEGATEXTURE?? This could be the reason

Last edited:

Md Ray

Can you provide an example of a game where the core gameplay experience is different between the two systems? Outside of graphical fidelity, of course.
Outside of graphical fidelity (RT), no 120fps impacts the core gameplay experience for me. It's present on the S in this game which is great, but not in others where it's present on the X. And where's RT? The console doesn't lack ray accelerators. You see it's inconsistent and doesn't line up with MS' messaging.

My issue is simple:

S was promised by MS to deliver the same "next-gen" experience as X at lower res.

"Next-gen" for me includes ray tracing, 120fps. Something that's not present on Xbox One.

If a game has RT or 120fps or both on the X, it should be present on the S too, at lower res. Not one or the other.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that MS false advertised or weren't 100% honest with their messaging and moving on.

Last edited:
Outside of graphical fidelity (RT), no 120fps impacts the core gameplay experience for me. It's present on the S in this game which is great, but not in others where it's present on the X. And where's RT? The console doesn't lack ray accelerators. You see it's inconsistent and doesn't line up with MS' messaging.

My issue is simple:

S was promised by MS to deliver the same "next-gen" experience as X at lower res.

"Next-gen" for me includes ray tracing, 120fps. Something that's not present on Xbox One.

If a game has RT or 120fps or both on the X, it should be present on the S too, at lower res. Not one or the other.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that MS false advertised or weren't 100% honest with their messaging and moving on.

MS promised no such thing, Riky just posted a link above.

MS just released a 4 tf box. What developers do with it is upto them. If they can't put ray tracing on it, that's it. Deal with it.

I am a Series S customer. I don't care. If any developer bothers to put ray tracing on it, I will disable it. Not worth it imo.

I just want smooth 60fps and clean 1080p image (upscaled if it has to).

If I were interested in ray tracing, I would have waited for Series X or built a PC.

Top Bottom