• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Master Level Deep Dive (PAX East 2020 footage)

What is a Master Level?

To quote producer Marty Stratton, Master Levels are "Combat remixes on existing levels." He adds that "We're gonna have a couple at launch and then we wanna release tons more post-launch.".

You gain access to the remix of a level by completing it in the campaign and whatever progression you've unlocked up to that point is yours to use, cause apparently you'll need it as these Master Levels are meant to be challenging postgame content.

In the following footage, Hugo Martin, the creative director of Doom Eternal plays through a Master Level in the game on a controller (with Y-axis inverted!) and provides quite a bit of candid commentary...when he actually gets the space to breathe on Nightmare difficulty 😅

I'm not sure I like how the Marauder apparently only has one effective solution but maybe they are purposely leaving some of the other possibilities to be discovered by the players.

Edit: Added information on what Master Levels are.

Sidenote: I was initially going to link the official stream upload from Bethesda's YT channel but their footage is encoded at 30fps. I'll never understand why publishers do this to themselves; if your footage/game is at 60fps, please upload it that way to properly present your game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom