• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is the most disappointing game I have ever played.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Turns out the answer to OP is indeed: Git gud.
If you are ammo starved in Doom Eternal, you really are doing it wrong.

But there is definitely a point here about the game supporting only one playstyle. Or, rather, demanding it.
And if you can't pull it off, you can't just try a different approach. It is a valid criticism.

I also liked Doom 2016 better. The piñata game Eternal forces you into is not really my favourite.
Also, fuck the Marauder - no, it's not difficult, but it disrupts the flow and I hate that.

Played through the main game, and it was fun, but I don't really have any intention of getting the DLCs.
I'd rather play through Ion Fury again.

Last edited:

Fake

Seems to me that most folks in this thread that hate the game tend to suck at resource management and hitting targets.

Speaking of resource management, I played REmake using only the knife. I not sure your point here, I hit my targets pretty much all the time. They still punish me for hitting my target.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Just purchased a few days ago, i loved 2016 but didn't buy Eternal because of the impressions(and many other games releasing at the same time o_O)

I agree some adjustments need to be made, because its a lovely game, but too chaotic! i couldn't progress in normal mode at all so im playing on easy, even then its NOT that easy , game feels too fast/floaty sometimes,even compared to doom 2016.

Other than that im loving it, its like 2016 on steroids, the upgrade systems are a little exaggerated but its impressive how many mechanics they can fit in a fps game, you never get bored of the weapons :^D platforming works well enough.that just makes me feel a little bad im not playing on normal heh

Speaking of resource management, I played REmake using only the knife.
That just screams "good ammo management", doesn't it.
They still punish me for hitting my target.
Oh, the drama.
Nobody is punishing you.
You pew pew, the baddie dies.
If you run out of pew pew press the button that refills it.
Some peeps here suggested all ammo to be scattered over the arena so they can memorize its locations and get back to it and shit.
How can game designers entrust you with memorizing dozens ammo pickup locations when you're struggling with a button that gives you full ammo refill on demand?
ConventionalUnluckyAlaskankleekai-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Fake

You call that 'You pew pew, the baddie dies' an argument? You call this gif an argument?
ConventionalUnluckyAlaskankleekai-size_restricted.gif

First of all learn to debate civilly, then you can ask for an argument. If you're really interested, I made a good discussion on the review thread. Feel free to read.

Its not like the OP give you plent of that, but anw.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Turns out the answer to OP is indeed: Git gud.
If you are ammo starved in Doom Eternal, you really are doing it wrong.

But there is definitely a point here about the game supporting only one playstyle. Or, rather, demanding it.
And if you can't pull it off, you can't just try a different approach. It is a valid criticism.

I also liked Doom 2016 better. The piñata game Eternal forces you into is not really my favourite.
Also, fuck the Marauder - no, it's not difficult, but it disrupts the flow and I hate that.

Played through the main game, and it was fun, but I don't really have any intention of getting the DLCs.
I'd rather play through Ion Fury again.
This is "true," but every game has a loop you must adhere to. If you dont follow the rules you will die.

People are trying to make it out as if there is a strict narrow path that Eternal has to be played on. If X demon appears you have to use X and thats it. Which is not the truth in any capacity.

Thats like saying you get mad while playing Killer Instinct when you have to use combo breakers.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah I am seeing a downward trend with Bethesda games.

Doom 2016 >>> Doom Eternal
Wolfenstein 1 >>> Wolfentstein 2
Fallout 4 >>>>>> Fallout 76
Dishonored >>> Dishonored 2 >>>> Death of the Outsider
Rage>>>Rage 2

Hopefully they can turn things around a bit.
Dishonored 2 is not worse than 1.

It may be have a slightly worse atmosphere compared to the first city, but the level design and powers are noticeably better.

Plot and characters were always mediocre in both titles.

The most dissapointing game you have EVER played?
Are you a 1 game per year type of guy?
What difference would it make if I played 10 or 100.

I can’t be disappointed in games I don’t have high expectations for. I can only be disappointed in games I have high expectations for. Make sense?

If I bought Madden for example, I couldn’t be disappointed if I didn’t like it. I am not interested in football.

And the same goes for certain settings and mechanics.

I couldn’t be disappointed in GTA 5 combat. Rockstar games never had good combat imo.

Stuart360

What difference would it make if I played 10 or 100.

I can’t be disappointed in games I don’t have high expectations for. I can only be disappointed in games I have high expectations for. Make sense?

If I bought Madden for example, I couldn’t be disappointed if I didn’t like it. I am not interested in football.

And the same goes for certain settings and mechanics.

I couldn’t be disappointed in GTA 5 combat. Rockstar games never had good combat imo.
There is nothing wrong with being dissapointed in a game, but the most dissapointing game you EVER PLAYED, i mean come on now.

Brigandier

Absolutely brilliant game, Apart from some stupid platforming it's a fantastic game.

It's not perfect some of the platforming should simply not be in a DooM game and there was a serious lack of finishers the same few over and over was annoying.

That OST.... My neighbours must hate me.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
This is "true," but every game has a loop you must adhere to. If you dont follow the rules you will die.

People are trying to make it out as if there is a strict narrow path that Eternal has to be played on. If X demon appears you have to use X and thats it. Which is not the truth in any capacity.

Thats like saying you get mad while playing Killer Instinct when you have to use combo breakers.
There is a difference between following the rules and there being only one playstyle.
And in Doom Eternal, there really is only one playstyle: The ammo (& health) piñata dance, as I like to call it.
You can't even choose to play specifically with a certain weapon (or few weapons) - ammo is simply too scarce for that, the chainsaw doesn't recharge nearly fast enough to allow for such a thing.
Instead, you are constantly shifting between what weapons you currently have ammo for and the abilities to mix it up.
At least on Ultra-Violence and harder, it is possible the lower difficulties are more flexible.

In FPS games, playstyles are automatically limited - it just comes with the genre. Even class-based FPS like Borderlands play largely the same no matter what character you pick.
Doom Eternal limits that even more - the result is that this one playstyle is pulled off in that game almost perfectly (those platforming sections can go to hell, though).
But I'd rather have more options than only one very good option.

Combo breakers in fighting games are not a suitable comparison.
A good comparison would be if there was only one character to pick and that character had only one good way to play as.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
There is a difference between following the rules and there being only one playstyle.
And in Doom Eternal, there really is only one playstyle: The ammo (& health) piñata dance, as I like to call it.
You can't even choose to play specifically with a certain weapon (or few weapons) - ammo is simply too scarce for that, the chainsaw doesn't recharge nearly fast enough to allow for such a thing.
Instead, you are constantly shifting between what weapons you currently have ammo for and the abilities to mix it up.
At least on Ultra-Violence and harder, it is possible the lower difficulties are more flexible.

In FPS games, playstyles are automatically limited - it just comes with the genre. Even class-based FPS like Borderlands play largely the same no matter what character you pick.
Doom Eternal limits that even more - the result is that this one playstyle is pulled off in that game almost perfectly (those platforming sections can go to hell, though).
But I'd rather have more options than only one very good option.

Combo breakers in fighting games are not a suitable comparison.
A good comparison would be if there was only one character to pick and that character had only one good way to play as.
The chainsaw, along with flame belch and grenades, all recharge in more than a timely fashion. I will say at the very beginning of the game you could make this argument but it rectifies itself very quickly once you start getting upgrades. The learning curve at the beginning of the game could be brutal for some.

Saying Eternal has one playstyle is simply not true. This has been covered extensively in this thread and whenever the question has been asked to explain most can 'tseem to come up with answers other than, " I run out of ammo."

Having an effective way of taking out a demon is not the same as having only one way to take out a demon. I believe I saw someone earlier say the cacodemon an example of a demon having one way to extinguish, grenade in the mouth, and while that works, I can not tell you the amount of times I have no used that method because it simply wasn't the right time or my shotgun had a different mod attached that I needed for other demons on screen. I also use the cacodemons for heigh with the meathook a lot when I need to get to a better position.

The surefire way to kill a demon is not always the right way and part of that dance is knowing when to use the weakness and when not to.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Saying Eternal has one playstyle is simply not true. This has been covered extensively in this thread and whenever the question has been asked to explain most can 'tseem to come up with answers other than, " I run out of ammo."
I think we have wildly incompatible definitions of what different playstyles are.
Using weapons a bit differently, running around slightly differently, using abilities slightly differently, using one weapon mod instead of another, etc. none of that counts as a different playstyle. More than one way to kill a demon does not count as a different playstyle, either.

You know what would be different?
The current ammo pinata dance vs a camping & sniping style vs melee/tank style.

The primary reason for that is indeed "I run out of ammo". I know a few people here have claimed that that's not the case - but that doesn't make it so.
The ammo scarcity which forces you into the constant ammo dance and constant switching of weapons is THE core design principle of the game and that can't just be handwaved away.

Pretty much every single video out there of someone playing the game (again, Ultra-Violence or harder) will show you the exact same playstyle, with maybe some minor variations.
That's what you are talking about, variations of a single playstyle.

Last edited:
lol i'm sorry, but doom eternal is one of those games that expose if you are nasty with how you play games, or you are a milk toast vanilla guy who picks soldier in overwatch and can only play grounded FPS where strafing and aiming is mechanically how you play. DOOM 2016 lends itself to the strafe and shoot gamer, hence why they like it more.

It's like people who LOVE souls, but can't play bayonetta or DMC. they aren't sick ass gamers capable of doing badass shit lol which DMC and Bayo requires of you to enjoy it to its fullest.

you have a shooter with insane mobility, dashes, air control, you can control when YOU want ammo etc and you can't figure out how to make that shit sick? Doom eternal exposed you, and I bet if I was sitting there watching you play, I would want to kill myself.

in fact OP, do you have any youtube footage of you playing? I swear to god if you are trash and then have the nerve to have an opinion....

I think we have wildly incompatible definitions of what different playstyles are.
Using weapons a bit differently, running around slightly differently, using abilities slightly differently, using one weapon mod instead of another, etc. none of that counts as a different playstyle. More than one way to kill a demon does not count as a different playstyle, either.

The primary reason for that is indeed "I run out of ammo". I know a few people here have claimed that that's not the case - but that doesn't make it so.
The ammo scarcity which forces you into the constant ammo dance and constant switching of weapons is THE core design principle of the game and that can't just be handwaved away.

Pretty much every single video out there of someone playing the game (again, Ultra-Violence or harder) will show you the exact same playstyle, with maybe some minor variations.

yeah it forces you not to play like a boring dolt. which exposes alot of gamers.

like if you can't do sick in doom eternal then you've been exposed lol you suck, and your suckiness is now turning into an opinion? ew.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

You argument is a bit all over the place.

You say borderlands even with its different classes because its an FPS is limited by the nature of the genre itself. Thats a bit hyperbolic. Thats like ssaying a fighting game forcing you to use combos is lmited. Its the entire point of the genre.

Asking for is different playstyles like a sniping and melee/tank is a bit silly when it is already in the game. You simply cant play it with one strategy the entire time. You have to asses every situation on the fly. If you want to play the entire game as a class based game thats simply not what its built to be. Which again is not the games fault it doesnt play the way you want it too.

No one is handwaving the ammo "issue" away. Its simply an argument that has been proven by many to not be an issue. If it was an issue how can you have high level play that shows exactly how ammo is not an issue?

It sounds more like you want FPS' to be able to become a different genre entirely. Maybe Bulletstorm is the game for you?

perkelson

Thats extremely hyperbolic but the point still stands. If you play the game and don't use the mechanics they built and then cry its bad because you suck at it, I can't take you seriously.

Eternal has one of the most, if not the most, extensive and thrilling first person combat systems in the industry. Its not easy to master and it takes significant commitment to get good at it and a lot of people might not be willing or wanting to grasp it after 2016, but again, that doesnt make it bad.

No it doesn't have the best FPS combat. It is not even great. IT is just good. OP is basically me.

I want to play FPS game based on my skills alone not some game where my ammo levels and health depend on how many times i chainsaw someone or do melee attack rather than my precision skills and matching gun to enemy threat in order to not run out of ammo. So instead of awesome nice brief moment you enjoy at your leisure you are forced to melee and chainsaw demons because game obligates you to do it.

after same animation playing 100 times you can be sure i would rather throw up than do it again.

They ripped melee animations from Brutal doom because they were fun but they forgot that Brutal doom didn't make them mandatory to use as they didn't provide anything and they were much shorter than those in Doom2016 or eternal.

So yeah. Some people like it but i don't. Mechanics are just shit and has nothing to do with "git gud". Also weapons are pretty much pew pew shooters that doesn't feel at all punchy which is much worse part than those idiotic mechanics.

Brutal Doom is much better shooter than nuDooms.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No it doesn't have the best FPS combat. It is not even great. IT is just good. OP is basically me.

I want to play FPS game based on my skills alone not some game where my ammo levels and health depend on how many times i chainsaw someone or do melee attack rather than my precision skills and matching gun to enemy threat in order to not run out of ammo. So instead of awesome nice brief moment you enjoy at your leisure you are forced to melee and chainsaw demons because game obligates you to do it.

after same animation playing 100 times you can be sure i would rather throw up than do it again.

They ripped melee animations from Brutal doom because they were fun but they forgot that Brutal doom didn't make them mandatory to use as they didn't provide anything and they were much shorter than those in Doom2016 or eternal.

So yeah. Some people like it but i don't. Mechanics are just shit and has nothing to do with "git gud". Also weapons are pretty much pew pew shooters that doesn't feel at all punchy which is much worse part than those idiotic mechanics.

Brutal Doom is much better shooter than nuDooms.
Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

lol i'm sorry, but doom eternal is one of those games that expose if you are nasty with how you play games, or you are a milk toast vanilla guy who picks soldier in overwatch and can only play grounded FPS where strafing and aiming is mechanically how you play. DOOM 2016 lends itself to the strafe and shoot gamer, hence why they like it more.

It's like people who LOVE souls, but can't play bayonetta or DMC. they aren't sick ass gamers capable of doing badass shit lol which DMC and Bayo requires of you to enjoy it to its fullest.

you have a shooter with insane mobility, dashes, air control, you can control when YOU want ammo etc and you can't figure out how to make that shit sick? Doom eternal exposed you, and I bet if I was sitting there watching you play, I would want to kill myself.

in fact OP, do you have any youtube footage of you playing? I swear to god if you are trash and then have the nerve to have an opinion....
Your post explains why you liked it and I didn’t lol

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

While this is a bit aggressive and trolly, its right.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
You say borderlands even with its different classes because its an FPS is limited by the nature of the genre itself. Thats a bit hyperbolic. Thats like ssaying a fighting game forcing you to use combos is lmited. Its the entire point of the genre.
I'm just gonna repeat myself because it seems you failed to understand it last time:
"Combo breakers in fighting games are not a suitable comparison.
A good comparison would be if there was only one character to pick and that character had only one good way to play as."

A fighting game does force you to use combos, like a first person shooter forces you to shoot. But there are usually hundreds of combos to choose from in total and dozens for each character.
Doom Eternal is like a fighting game having one character with a handful of combos and that's it.

Asking for is different playstyles like a sniping and melee/tank is a bit silly when it is already in the game. You simply cant play it with one strategy the entire time. You have to asses every situation on the fly.
You are fooling yourself if you claim the game offers different strategies and playstyles on the level of the difference between class-based games.

1) No one is handwaving the ammo "issue" away. Its simply an argument that has been proven by many to not be an issue.
2) If it was an issue how can you have high level play that shows exactly how ammo is not an issue?
1) Not a single person has ever proven that argument wrong, because it is factually correct.
2) The argument is that you NEED to do the ammo chainsaw piñata dance in order for the ammo not to be a problem. Or, the other way around - because ammo is, in fact, a problem, you HAVE to play the game's one playstyle, the ammo piñata. It was designed that way.

Nope, he explained fairly well how he doesn't like the skill requirements of the game, instead preferring other skill requirements of other FPS. Not a word about not being good enough for it.
Which is precisely the point so many are making and you fail to understand: It's not about not being good enough to do what the game is asking - it is about not enjoying what it is asking.

I did enjoy Doom Eternal, and definitely got gud through playing it. But I enjoyed Doom 2016 much more due to the issues outlined to you by different people.

Astral Dog

While the low ammo and chainsaw combo gets annoying quick, its clear they designed the whole game around upgrades, upgrading upgrading upgrading.

The game is meant to be replayed kinda like DMC5, you probably won't get the most of the combat system in a single playthrough , maybe some players
get frustrated because they picked a higher difficulty and expect a similar experience to DOOM 2016, when the game takes its time to give you the proper tools to take on the demons quickly/stylishly (the boost ability is not even on the first mission!)

upgrade the ammo capacity and it becomes much more manageable,DMC5 forces you to play on the easiest difficulty before unlocking the higher ones, maybe they should done something similar here and there wouldn't be as much complaining🤭

MiguelItUp

To each their own of course. But the saddest part to me in all of this is the fact that many people won't see the underlying brilliance that exists in the games combat and strategy loop. Honestly, it's one of the best that we have seen in many years as it's something different and it works. I mean, it's not another FPS title where you hide to recharge health/shields, pick up health, pick up ammo, and can complete the entire game using a shotgun or other single weapon.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
While the low ammo and chainsaw combo gets annoying quick, its clear they designed the whole game around upgrades, upgrading upgrading upgrading.

The game is meant to be replayed kinda like DMC5, you probably won't get the most of the combat system in a single playthrough
How so? I had everything unlocked by the point it actually could be unlocked.

Pissed me off when I accidentally quit a level that I had not yet found everything in and had to repeat the entire level just to get one thing. "FUUUUUUUU---- now I have do it all again?!"
Or do you mean "get" as in understand?
That might actually be true - I wouldn't mind playing the early levels again without sucking like I first did.

Bragr

Banned
You know what it is? it's not the fancy new resource system, it's that the enemies are rushing you.

They don't dodge around the environment like in the first game, but they dodge AT you, it makes a huge difference and makes combat feel very different. It also ups the stress, and when you lack ammo, the feeling of frustration.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm just gonna repeat myself because it seems you failed to understand it last time:
"Combo breakers in fighting games are not a suitable comparison.
A good comparison would be if there was only one character to pick and that character had only one good way to play as."

A fighting game does force you to use combos, like a first person shooter forces you to shoot. But there are usually hundreds of combos to choose from in total and dozens for each character.
Doom Eternal is like a fighting game having one character with a handful of combos and that's it.

You are fooling yourself if you claim the game offers different strategies and playstyles on the level of the difference between class-based games.

1) Not a single person has ever proven that argument wrong, because it is factually correct.
2) The argument is that you NEED to do the ammo chainsaw piñata dance in order for the ammo not to be a problem. Or, the other way around - because ammo is, in fact, a problem, you HAVE to play the game's one playstyle, the ammo piñata. It was designed that way.

Nope, he explained fairly well how he doesn't like the skill requirements of the game, instead preferring other skill requirements of other FPS. Not a word about not being good enough for it.
Which is precisely the point so many are making and you fail to understand: It's not about not being good enough to do what the game is asking - it is about not enjoying what it is asking.

I did enjoy Doom Eternal, and definitely got gud through playing it. But I enjoyed Doom 2016 much more due to the issues outlined to you by different people.
Show me a game where one character has "hundreds of combos." Perhaps theres some guility gear games I haven't played but the main stream games like MK and KI there is no such thing. You have a set of combos that each character can use. IT doesnt matter who you fight. Your combos are the same. How you get in and open or close the combo might vary slightly but you are simply looking for an opening but the combos are the same and there are not hundreds to choose from. There are even characters that are described as rush down, grappler etc. You have to play that role with that character.

Doom Eternal is not the same thing. Depending on what you are going up against your strategy changes form grappler, to rush down etc. The fundamentals do not change like chainsawing for ammo etc the same way hitting your opponent in a fighting game. The core of the game is shooting the demons and replenishing resources but every demon has multiple ways to approach them and they differ from demon to demon, for the most part, there is definitely some overlap but there is plenty of variety in demons.

But when I play as Orchid in KI I am not changing my strategy to how I approach my enters and exits of combos. I am simply looking for how to get it and out with that style of character but once I am in the character plays the exact same no matter what opponent I am fighting. I can not on the fly switch archetype from a rush down to a grappler.

Am I building a class around one type of play like in an ARPG/RPG? Not at all, but I am playing the game in different styles rapidly all the time.

And I will repeat myself again, simply because you like a different game more doesnt somehow remove the merit of a different game. If you liked Doom 2016 more thats great but to say Eternal is worse because of more mechanics is flat out false. If you dont like it thats fine but its not factually correct its a bad game due to resource management that was not found in the first.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I did it, I gave up. Ancient Gods dlc is complete bs and unplayable. The first level was no biggie. I play on normal. But that swamp level turns up shit like crazy. That mid boss with the flying cubes was the last straw. Even on easy, fuck that!

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I did it, I gave up. Ancient Gods dlc is complete bs and unplayable. The first level was no biggie. I play on normal. But that swamp level turns up shit like crazy. That mid boss with the flying cubes was the last straw. Even on easy, fuck that!
No, KEEP PUSHING! YOU CAN DO IT!

perkelson

I have an idea for a game.

It will be car racing game where in order to not run out of fuel you have to go to pitstop and change your super fast car to bicycle ride for few seconds that bicycle and then go back to racing with your racing car.

That is how nuDoom feels to me. Doom2016 wasn't great but at least you could ignore those idiotic mechanics but in Eternal it is pretty hard to ignore them.

I made a good discussion on the review thread.
We're not in that thread, are we?
That may come as a shock to you, but you're not important enough for me to chase you over different threads.
In this thread you're making extremely silly statements which warrant mocking.
So save your holier-than-thou lectures and eat some humble pie.

Fake

We're not in that thread, are we?
That may come as a shock to you, but you're not important enough for me to chase you over different threads.
In this thread you're making extremely silly statements which warrant mocking.
So save your holier-than-thou lectures and eat some humble pie.

Ok.

Zelent

Eternal is no where near as good as the original Doom I and Doom II games.

However, I think it's far superior than Doom 2016.
I enjoyed the increased challenged and added strategy.

My only legit criticisms of the game

1. There were way to many levels that made the ground deadly to touch. It completely contradicted the free flow combat nature of the game.

2. Base ammo count was just too low.

3. Marauders sucked as reoccurring enemies (great boss fight though). They were not impossible just SUPEAR FUCKING annoying.

I don't understand the criticisms of it being "Wahh it forced me to play a specific way" like most legit good FPS games don't have specific enemy weak-points and more effective guns to kill people. Even in fucking halo you have objectively better weapons to kill specific enemies ( pistol and rocket launcher for Hunters) and (shotgun most effective against flood, sniper is useless against them).

The game gives you all of the tools to survive.

1. Glory kill for health

2. Fire for armor

3. Chainsaw for ammo

Only fire mechanic was added in Eternal. You also had blood punch to help even the odds. The only two weapons that became useless later in the game we the base shotgun and assault rifle. Every other weapon is very viable in the game, you just didn't bother to experiment and use them.

Ixion

My brother, who mainly plays games like Destiny and Borderlands, bought and played Doom 2016 for about 7 or 8 levels. I watched him play a good portion of it. All he did was sit back and snipe people with the Assault Rifle scope, while also going around melee-ing everything. He tried playing it like Destiny/Borderlands and was able to get through much of the game on the normal difficulty.

And guess what? He didn't see what was so special about the game, and he never finished it. Too many people were playing Doom 2016 in a very boring way. And hell, even if you knew what you were doing like myself, I knew I could just get through the whole game with Plasma Stun + Super Shotgun. The game could be exploited, cheesed, and made boring pretty easily. Doom Eternal makes sure you stay moving and stay in the action, which is the whole point of the gameplay that makes it unique among other big-budget shooters.

I have an idea for a game.

It will be car racing game where in order to not run out of fuel you have to go to pitstop and change your super fast car to bicycle ride for few seconds that bicycle and then go back to racing with your racing car.

It's the exact opposite of that. The purpose behind the chainsaw mechanic is that it encourages you to go TOWARDS the enemies to get your ammo instead of having to retreat. A better analogy would be if you could ram your racecar into another racecar to get more fuel INSTEAD of having to retreat to the pitstop.

Last edited:

Null Persp

I finished the game the other day, really amazing and better than Doom 2016, pure adrenaline.
If you have problems master the weapon quick switching and no demon stand a chance.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
The game could be exploited, cheesed, and made boring pretty easily.
All the best games have open game mechanics that can be exploited - breaking the game can be fun in itself, if you're into that.
What's boring for one is fun for another - that's just not a valid argument.

Doom Eternal makes sure you stay moving and stay in the action, which is the whole point of the gameplay that makes it unique among other big-budget shooters.
I'm not saying it's not unique. Or not good. It's very good.

All I'm saying is that it only having one playstyle (ammo pinata) is a valid criticism, even if that one playstyle is implemented exceedingly well.
Which somehow gets lots of fanboys in a rage 🤷‍♂️

Then again, raging is very thematic for a topic about RIP AND TEAR, so maybe I'm just not doing it right.

Last edited:
Absolutely hated this game. But not because of ammo scarcity.

Because the developers said "Let's take everything we did right in Doom 2016... And simply ignore it in favour of making a fucking 1st person platformer interspersed with the odd shooty arena bits..."

Ixion

I'm not saying it's not unique. Or not good. It's very good.

So Doom Eternal is "very good" and "unique", but the problem is that it doesn't allow for camping and sniping people, or just running around and melee-ing people. Play-styles that are not unique and can be done in many other modern shooters. Got it.

id Software is giving you something special with Doom Eternal, and are basically saying you can play and commit to this special game, or you can just play a litany of other games that allow for the usual stuff. I respect that.

MiguelItUp

It's the exact opposite of that. The purpose behind the chainsaw mechanic is that it encourages you to go TOWARDS the enemies to get your ammo instead of having to retreat. A better analogy would be if you could ram your racecar into another racecar to get more fuel INSTEAD of having to retreat to the pitstop.
YUP!

It's weird, because a lot of the criticism sounds like people wanted the game to play a certain way, but I'm almost certain if the game DID play that way that a lot of the same people would've bashed it for something else. Maybe that it's too easy, boring, etc. The combat loop + the strategies necessary against specific enemies and mobs is what made the game stand out.

The argument of "it doesn't let me play how I want" is ignorant and is the mindset that has lead us down the path of diluted open world ubisoft style slop. The greatest games of all time have clear rules and structure. Doom 2016 was more forgiving and in hind sight is a slower more boring game for it. It reeks of being afraid to challenge anyone. Unfortunately for great games to be made you have to crack some eggs, in this case the eggs are scrubby players that like watered alcohol and fast food over a well prepared steak with a side of vintage wine, which is what Doom Eternal is in video game form.

Somebody doesn't know how to play DE lol. Look, I've completed the game and the expansion on nightmare, high on antidepressants and with a posture that is not good for your health. So of you had ammo problems, its your fault. Game encourages you to be swapping (you have an arsenal for a reason), so no more super shottie only runs

Top Bottom