• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is the most disappointing game I have ever played.

Justin9mm

The problem with eternal that it’s designed for keyboard and mouse. Playing it with a controller is like
Playing football with one leg.

Yourself and I assume the op who use a controller is where the problem is.

Even on the lower difficulties you need
To put in so much input.
Thats crap.. Finished it twice, once on the X, once on the Pro and Ancient Gods DLC on PS5 and at no point did I feel the controller was holding me back.

Have you played Ancient Gods? That shit is on steroids, if anyone can finish that with a controller no problem then the controller isn't the problem.

It beggars belief people blaming their shortcomings on the controller. Typical mentality of people who like to blame everything else but themselves.

Sorry not trying to attack you personally but I hate this argument.

Last edited:
Ok. That could be I admit

My head hurts
I mean I am not that good at video games and didn’t follow the rules that much at all yet I still beat it. On hard. On controller. I don’t understand how some are having this amount of difficulty with it. It’s kinda like an old school platformer in FPS form or like others have said a puzzle or chess. It keeps your mind engaged in it because you’re basically juggling different things at the same time and deciding your next move as you finish your current one. Theres so much strategy involved it’s like playing a sport in real life or something.

When I went backwards to play doom 2016 I really did not understand how people thought that was better in that game. It does everything the same as any other generic FPS and it’s just kinda boring. But I’m also not super attached to the doom IP.

EDIT: also a cool thing is that I can go back to earlier encounters that I at first found super difficult and now can easily beat them.

Last edited:
I have played some shit games in my gaming life. I know some will instantly say Git Gud but that wasn't the Doom Eternal problem for me. I didn't die a lot, I didn't have health problems.

I seemed to always have ammo problems and perhaps more importantly, I do not have a coke problem. And it feels like you need to be spun up to play this, or at the very least a gallon of Red Bull injected directly in your dick hole *Women can have dick holes too bigots. So not discriminating*

Being up front, I like Doom 2016... a lot. Loved it. And I liked retro Doom. I even like Duke Nukem. I've found value and enjoyment in games that have been panned by other players (Operation Raccoon City, Battlefront 2 at launch, Jedi Power Battle).

But holy dog shit Doom Eternal isn't for me. I made it to the point of picking up the Rocket Launcher. I then quit and uninstalled.

I feel like the game is punishing me for not playing how it wants me to. I legit believe the A.I. is rolling its eyes at me.

It isn't my fault tho. I enter an arena and start killing, run out of ammo before I've killed everything and have to search for more with enemies just chasing me. Or I chainsaw.

It got to a point where I just stopped killing the lowly zombie ones. They just weren't worthy of the ammo.

I honestly feel that the game would be enjoyable after I played it and could memorize the arenas/levels. Because it feels like the game is punishing me for not having knowledge of where everything is.

Even then I probably wouldn't be playing fast enough to satisfy the game lol. Everything about the game was tits. The music was awesome, the player movement was good. The game visually and performance wise was great.

Doom may run on a pregnancy test, but Doom Eternal isn't worthy of running on my PC. I rather play Duke Nukem Forever.

wow, you really are bad at video games, learn to read and understand game design and mechanics. There is a difference between good and bad game design. Sounds like you are too lazy to figure shit out on your and just decide to cry like a baby.

You're calling this game shit, yet there are people like Draqu who are able to speed run it on Ultra Nightmare, get the fuck outta here. Terribad.

Last edited:
wow, you really are bad at video games, learn to read and understand game design and mechanics. There is a difference between good and bad game design. Sounds like you are too lazy/stupid to figure shit out on your and just decide to cry like a baby. Please do not procreate brother., do the humanity a favor friend.

You're calling this game shit, yet there are people like Draqu who are able to speed run it on Ultra Nightmare, get the fuck outta here. Terribad.
Wow so edgy lol.

Did I call the game shit? Or just not for me?

Wow so edgy lol.

Did I call the game shit? Or just not for me?

You're comparing the game to Duke Nukem Forever dude, that's a big difference, come on now get real. If you don't like it, it's fine but to compare it to Duke Nukem Forever, no one will ever take you seriously.

Thats crap.. Finished it twice, once on the X, once on the Pro and Ancient Gods DLC on PS5 and at no point did I feel the controller was holding me back.

Have you played Ancient Gods? That shit is on steroids, if anyone can finish that with a controller no problem then the controller isn't the problem.

It beggars belief people blaming their shortcomings on the controller. Typical mentality of people who like to blame everything else but themselves.

Sorry not trying to attack you personally but I hate this argument.

The person I quoted is complaining it’s like work and he uses a controller. I’ve played it with both and while
Playing it with a controller is fine, it does feel like a lot of work. I never said the game isn’t playable with a controller.

You're comparing the game to Duke Nukem Forever dude, that's a big difference, come on now get real. If you don't like it, it's fine but to compare it to Duke Nukem Forever, no one will ever take you seriously.
I said I rather play Duke Nukem Forever. In fact...
Everything about the game was tits. The music was awesome, the player movement was good. The game visually and performance wise was great.
I honestly feel that the game would be enjoyable after I played it and could memorize the arenas/levels. Because it feels like the game is punishing me for not having knowledge of where everything is.
That is hardly me trashing the game.

Take your boring petty insults elsewhere please

mave198

Loved it. Definitely a steeper learning curve than Doom 2016. First FPS that felt like playing a fighting game if that makes any sense...

GriffinCorp

I have played some shit games in my gaming life. I know some will instantly say Git Gud but that wasn't the Doom Eternal problem for me. I didn't die a lot, I didn't have health problems.

I seemed to always have ammo problems and perhaps more importantly, I do not have a coke problem. And it feels like you need to be spun up to play this, or at the very least a gallon of Red Bull injected directly in your dick hole *Women can have dick holes too bigots. So not discriminating*

Being up front, I like Doom 2016... a lot. Loved it. And I liked retro Doom. I even like Duke Nukem. I've found value and enjoyment in games that have been panned by other players (Operation Raccoon City, Battlefront 2 at launch, Jedi Power Battle).

But holy dog shit Doom Eternal isn't for me. I made it to the point of picking up the Rocket Launcher. I then quit and uninstalled.

I feel like the game is punishing me for not playing how it wants me to. I legit believe the A.I. is rolling its eyes at me.

It isn't my fault tho. I enter an arena and start killing, run out of ammo before I've killed everything and have to search for more with enemies just chasing me. Or I chainsaw.

It got to a point where I just stopped killing the lowly zombie ones. They just weren't worthy of the ammo.

Even then I probably wouldn't be playing fast enough to satisfy the game lol. Everything about the game was tits. The music was awesome, the player movement was good. The game visually and performance wise was great.

Doom may run on a pregnancy test, but Doom Eternal isn't worthy of running on my PC. I rather play Duke Nukem Forever.
I agree with this. Doom 2016 is the best in my opinion. Eternal just hates the player too much and turns the whole game into a chore to play. Sucked the fun out of it. 2016 was so much fun, I loved having the option of just using a couple of the weapons, Eternal made/forced you to use them all or face running out of ammo.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How do you have ammo problems? They literally have a mechanic that:
A) Kills an enemy
B) Drops ammo
It's an FPS, so I guess people try to play it like the other 99% percent of FPSs.

To me DOOM Eternal was more like a first-person DMC. And that's good.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How do you have ammo problems? They literally have a mechanic that:
A) Kills an enemy
B) Drops ammo

I think it's because they changed the chainsaw from something that was fun and felt like a cool bonus, to something you needed to use and keep track of its cooldown.

Basically turned dumb fun into work.

To me DOOM Eternal was more like a first-person DMC.

Yeah, that's a pretty good description. I bet a lot of us who were down on Doom Eternal also do not like the DMC games. I know I don't (although I did enjoy DMC4 at the time for some reason).

Last edited by a moderator:

iHaunter

I think it's because they changed the chainsaw from something that was fun and felt like a cool bonus, to something you needed to use and keep track of its cooldown.

Yeah, that's a pretty good description. I bet a lot of us who were down on Doom Eternal also do not like the DMC games. I know I don't (although I did enjoy DMC4 at the time for some reason).
That could be true, but my point still stands.

ShadowLag

This thread should be renamed to "I am disappointed that I can't play Doom Eternal correctly"

OP, stay away from Dark Souls at all costs

Yeah in the OP I said I would run out of ammo and
run out of ammo before I've killed everything and have to search for more with enemies just chasing me. Or I chainsaw.
So it wasn’t like I got stuck or died in the combat.

But yeah if the chainsaw is always there to give me more ammo, why not just let me hold more from the beginning 🤷‍♂️

That game is boring anyway

shade smile GIF by Robert E Blackmon

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This thread should be renamed to "I am disappointed that I can't play Doom Eternal correctly"

That's dumb as hell. It's more like "I am disappointed that there is only one way to play Doom Eternal correctly and I don't enjoy it."

I love the Souls games and have played them all multiple times through with different builds. One of the best parts about those games is just how many valid builds there are. You can really approach situations from a variety of ways with a tons of different weapons and feel like you have basically an equal chance at winning. It just comes down to your mastery of that weapon and learning the enemy attack patterns. That's the kind of gameplay that I love.

Doom Eternal is like if Dark Souls required you to use all of the different types of weapons depending on the enemy.

Last edited by a moderator:

zombrex

Best arcade FPS I have played in my life. The game is so tightly designed and well thought out.
Every weapon has a use. Every enemy has weaknesses to multiple weapons and gadgets.
Success is finding the solution of deciding to use what weapons on which enemies and in what order while navigating the environment to collect ammo and powerups. And you need to think quick because the game is very fast paced. I think sadly the same is just too intense and involves too much quick thinking for some people which can lead to stress, frustration and lack of enjoyment.
For those people there are literally hundreds of other modern FPS games to play which don't require such close attention. For the rest of us this game is a huge breath of fresh air in an era of mindless, dumbed down and on rail fps experiences. That is why this game is so highly acclaimed.
This game could be genre changing and influence a huge number of creators into the future.

Last edited:

Z..

They force you to play a style they want and totally forgot the previous one.
This literally only applies to Marauders specifically. Everything else is precisely the opposite, it gives you an absurd amount of freedom and viable options to tackle any given situation and handles like a dream through the whole thing to boot.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

amigastar

Sure, there are gameplay rules you have to obey. But when you do that it's an immensely fun game. My Goty 2020.
Imagine a football game without rules so the rules in Doom Eternal serve a purpose.
The purpose of the rules is to make you a better player and utilize the mechanics and have fun with it.

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
The crash bandicoot bullshit and purple goo ruined it. It is a modern AAA game so you should have expected it to be bad. Have you played pokeshit sword?

Ixion

I think sadly the same is just too intense and involves too much quick thinking for some people which can lead to stress, frustration and lack of enjoyment.
For those people there are literally hundreds of other modern FPS games to play which don't require such close attention. For the rest of us this game is a huge breath of fresh air in an era of mindless, dumbed down and on rail fps experiences. That is why this game is so highly acclaimed.
This game could be genre changing and influence a huge number of creators into the future.

Yeah, Doom Eternal is simply the most adrenaline fueled video game I've ever played, but that requires the player to want that. The game definitely pushes you towards that style of play, but the result is something unique that goes beyond the stratosphere of other shooters in terms of not only a fast pace, but strategy that is fast paced.

I understand how the OP feels, since I too found the gameplay too arbitrary and stressful initially. I just wanted to shoot demons and there was too much crap to "worry" about. But once the cool-down times become ingrained in your head and you get a hang of the loop, the "worry" and "stress" goes away and there is only adrenaline.

VAVA Mk2

Yeah, I totally recognize that it resonates with a lot of people. It's just not for me and normally that wouldn't be disappointing if it were just some new IP, but it's DOOM. A series that just got a proper faithful resurrection with updated gameplay that rocked a few years earlier that everyone loved. It always sucks when something you really enjoy puts out a new thing that's wildly different in a way you don't enjoy.
Austin Powers No GIF

wow, you really are bad at video games, learn to read and understand game design and mechanics. There is a difference between good and bad game design. Sounds like you are too lazy to figure shit out on your and just decide to cry like a baby.

Ok relax now. People always gotta get fuckin weird

This literally only applies to Marauders specifically. Everything else is precisely the opposite, it gives you an absurd amount of freedom and viable options to tackle any given situation and handles like a dream through the whole thing to boot.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is also true - you can definitely do things a variety of ways. It isn’t that strict - except when it comes to those goddamn marauders

Best arcade FPS I have played in my life. The game is so tightly designed and well thought out.
Every weapon has a use. Every enemy has weaknesses to multiple weapons and gadgets.
Success is finding the solution of deciding to use what weapons on which enemies and in what order while navigating the environment to collect ammo and powerups. And you need to think quick because the game is very fast passed. I think sadly the same is just too intense and involves too much quick thinking for some people which can lead to stress, frustration and lack of enjoyment.
I hope it does. Never played a game like it - that, in my book, is something to celebrate. There are tons of games like doom 2016, and really any FPS franchise now. I hope this spins off into a new sort of genre, I wouldn’t be into playing games like this all the time but I’d like to have more options of this type of thing

Bryank75

Banned
2016 was a bit of fun but I had my fill by the end, I have absolutely no inclination to play more so Eternal isn't really something I'll be interested in any time soon.

Heard that the platforming and the marauder or gladiator guy with the shield really slow the pace down and make it less enjoyable too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even Marauders can be brute forced if you press them hard. It just takes reflexes. I'm not especially great at FPS games but even I figured out that you can push them and kill them quickly by basically hitting all the buttons.

Cattlyst

The jumping and swinging sections killed it for me. Not fun in the slightest. I can replay Doom 2016 infinitely but Eternal has been removed from my system and I doubt I will ever go back to it.

small_law

So what am I missing here in terms of disappointment? I'm digging it, but I came to it with zero expectations. I only got 1/4 through the 2016 game and I wanted something to push the upgrades I made to my PC in December. I set the difficulty low-ish and I'm playing it in chunks just to see it. Did people want more out of it? What were the changes between it and 2016 Doom?

zcaa0g

Banned
You hear people say the last 3 Assassin's Creed games weren't Assassin's Creed games. Same for the most recent Tomb Raider Trilogy. Well, DOOM Eternal while a good game, wasn't truly DOOM like DOOM 2016 was.

DOOM 2016 was like 1995 all over again with modern day visuals. That's what DOOM fans wanted after DOOM 3 strayed so far from what DOOM was supposed to be.

Unfortunately, the most recent style will be here to stay.

zcaa0g

Banned
Even Marauders can be brute forced if you press them hard. It just takes reflexes. I'm not especially great at FPS games but even I figured out that you can push them and kill them quickly by basically hitting all the buttons.

I didn't have a problem with the marauders after I figured out responding to the audio cue was even more effective than the visual cue. Of course, I'm and old geezer.

ShadowLag

That's dumb as hell. It's more like "I am disappointed that there is only one way to play Doom Eternal correctly and I don't enjoy it."

I love the Souls games and have played them all multiple times through with different builds. One of the best parts about those games is just how many valid builds there are. You can really approach situations from a variety of ways with a tons of different weapons and feel like you have basically an equal chance at winning. It just comes down to your mastery of that weapon and learning the enemy attack patterns. That's the kind of gameplay that I love.

Doom Eternal is like if Dark Souls required you to use all of the different types of weapons depending on the enemy.

"It just comes down to your mastery of that weapon and learning the enemy attack patterns. That's the kind of gameplay that I love."

But Doom Eternal is exactly that, mastering your weapons and enemy attack patterns. Sure you can make any crazy build you want in DS, but none of that means anything if you don't learn the game's rules and gain a basic mastery of the combat system. If you don't play DS the way the game wants you to, you'll be seeing YOU DIED an awful lot - regardless of your build.

DS and Eternal are the same in that you can kill enemies with any weapon you want, there just tends to be a most effective way to do it per enemy, and Eternal has ways to make the enemies less threatening by destroying their weak points. It really never FORCES you to play one specific way, except for the marauders (and the spirits in TAGP1). You can even customize your play style to a degree with the rune system and weapon upgrades that've been there since Doom 2016. When all else fails you still have the option to say "fuck the best way, I'm just spamming grenades, blood punch, and chaingun right now" and it'll get you through - granted you understand the ramifications of that strategy. There's always a brute force option.

The director Hugo Martin has stated that in Eternal, he didn't want players to simply push forward holding down the shoot button to victory. He wanted players to have to think during combat and utilize their arsenal depending on the situation instead of sticking to a single, most effective gun. Every enemy has a weakness, but it's never a requirement to exploit that weakness to progress except in very specific battles.

Last edited:

Forsythia

I liked 2016 better. The only thing that game did wrong imho was the endless locked arenas. Eternal is good but it's so damn overwhelming, and leaves no room for messing around. You have to play by the rules or you're dead. It's exhausting.

And I really don't like they went all out on the story. Wasn't Doom 2016 praised for the lack of cutscenes? Why the hell did they change that?

Kev Kev

And I really don't like they went all out on the story. Wasn't Doom 2016 praised for the lack of cutscenes? Why the hell did they change that?
who knows... they turned the dial up to 11 for everything in eternal, so i guess they decided they needed to do the same with cutscenes as well. i just wish they could have found a nice balance between the people who like it turned up to 11, and the the rest of us who thought keepin the dial at 10 was perfect. heres to hoping for doom 3 to hit a good balance 🤞

Nemesisuuu

I love DOOM 2016, but this one just didn't click with me. Gameplay loop was pretty boring with 'forced' chainsawing for ammo etc.

That killed it for me, depending on chainsaw so much. Game even wasn't that hard as people make it. It's like the game is holding player back, like you're under constant constrain. You have the tools for total freedom, but you have to use them in strict order (like devs put you on a leash). I can understand why someone likes the game, for me it just tries to hard (not just with combat design). As a huge id Software fan, it sure was nice to see so much fun easter eggs.

Also lol at angry mob screaming GIT GUT just because someone was disappointed with game.

We need new full blown Quake now.

I think it was solid, but I really enjoyed playing Doom 2016 a lot more. The combat in Eternal is sublime when everything is clicking, but the game gets in its own way a lot. The story and tone really missed the mark. The platforming was okay but I don't think they really did enough interesting stuff with it, it ended up sorta just being something else to do between combat encounters. It's not one of the most disappointing games I've ever played, but I'd say I was fairly disappointed with it.

Wasn't Doom 2016 praised for the lack of cutscenes?
In what universe does Doom 2016 lack cutscenes? It's loaded with first person cutscenes.
Is that the same universe where 2016 offers more options for player expression than Eternal? Because here it doesn't.
In the same universe where 2016 plays "like classic Doom"? It really, really fucking doesn't.
What is it about Doom 2016 that makes people fantasize shit that simply isn't there?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Doom was always a decent franchise that’s all it’s ever been, as much as people LOVE it I think in order for it to be a major FPS player you have to challenge COD in some capacity.

Calverz

Learn to do the doom dance. I would agree though that the game has probably too much empahsis on that style of play. Sure looks cool when watched back

I seemed to always have ammo problems and perhaps more importantly, I do not have a coke problem.
Yup, even if I know you are supposed to play the game in a certain way to get ammo more often... I hate the mecanic, so I dropped out pretty early in the game, which is sad because I loved Doom 2016 (and the old Dooms, and quake 1 & 2, as well as Duke Nukem 3D... Many more).

Plus, I didn't bother to play long enough to unlock the unlimited ammo "cheat".

Alebrije

Doom rules are simple and basic. That is why is a great IP but at the same time not for all people because the game does not let different approachs to advance.

I enjoyed the last one but no played Ethernal because feels more like a huge DLC than a stand alone game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

how about fucking no ?!
I play games my whole life and this was straight up annoying and repetitive

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"It just comes down to your mastery of that weapon and learning the enemy attack patterns. That's the kind of gameplay that I love."

But Doom Eternal is exactly that, mastering your weapons

Weapons, not weapon. There's no much mastery when it comes to "using" the weapons, either. It's just knowing which one to use against which enemy.

DS and Eternal are the same in that you can kill enemies with any weapon you want, there just tends to be a most effective way to do it per enemy,

That has not been my experience in the 6 hours or so I played. Sure, you can technically kill any monster with any weapon, but the extremely limited ammo means you're not actually going to be able to do that unless you want to spent most of your time just running in circles waiting for your chainsaw to refresh, which is not fun at all. You are forced to optimize and constantly swap weapons if you want the game to flow like it did in Doom 2016.

I think I'll go back and give the game another shot since I've spent so much time in this thread. I'll try and throw three hours or so at it this weekend with an open mind and see if I can get it to stick.

Tomeru

My only beef was turning Doom into a first person Mario. It was more tedious than it was challenging or fun and just broke up the action flow of the game. Incredible action and incredible game engine though.
Thats the best way to describe this game, holy crap.

It also feels so... cheery, or something.

It's an FPS, so I guess people try to play it like the other 99% percent of FPSs.

To me DOOM Eternal was more like a first-person DMC. And that's good.

That is also a good description, but I disagree about it being good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom