• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is the most disappointing game I have ever played.

I have played some shit games in my gaming life. I know some will instantly say Git Gud but that wasn't the Doom Eternal problem for me. I didn't die a lot, I didn't have health problems.

I seemed to always have ammo problems and perhaps more importantly, I do not have a coke problem. And it feels like you need to be spun up to play this, or at the very least a gallon of Red Bull injected directly in your dick hole *Women can have dick holes too bigots. So not discriminating*

Being up front, I like Doom 2016... a lot. Loved it. And I liked retro Doom. I even like Duke Nukem. I've found value and enjoyment in games that have been panned by other players (Operation Raccoon City, Battlefront 2 at launch, Jedi Power Battle).

But holy dog shit Doom Eternal isn't for me. I made it to the point of picking up the Rocket Launcher. I then quit and uninstalled.

I feel like the game is punishing me for not playing how it wants me to. I legit believe the A.I. is rolling its eyes at me.

It isn't my fault tho. I enter an arena and start killing, run out of ammo before I've killed everything and have to search for more with enemies just chasing me. Or I chainsaw.

It got to a point where I just stopped killing the lowly zombie ones. They just weren't worthy of the ammo.

I honestly feel that the game would be enjoyable after I played it and could memorize the arenas/levels. Because it feels like the game is punishing me for not having knowledge of where everything is.

Even then I probably wouldn't be playing fast enough to satisfy the game lol. Everything about the game was tits. The music was awesome, the player movement was good. The game visually and performance wise was great.

Doom may run on a pregnancy test, but Doom Eternal isn't worthy of running on my PC. I rather play Duke Nukem Forever.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The weak, fodder enemies provide you with ammo, if I remember correctly.
I enjoyed it and thought some of the level design and enemy encounters were great.
It did become frustrating at times and I'm not sure I love the system of ammo and armor constantly popping out of enemies, but I may just play an easier difficulty next time. Still likely to be a challenge.

Last edited:

Fake

I feel like the game is punishing me for not playing how it wants me to. I legit believe the A.I. is rolling its eyes at me.

DUDDEEE. I was saying the same thing on the review thread and get a load of people saying 'bruh bruh use the chainsaw'.

They force you to play a style they want and totally forgot the previous one. Your objective should be kill demons and your playstyle should vary between person, but what I see here are 'hey, you'll get low ammo and you'll finish zombies to get ammo no matter what'.

ITS, SO, FUCKING, REPETITIVE AND ANNOYING.

I feel like I playing a survive horror.

Last edited:
The weak, fodder enemies provide you with ammo, if I remember correctly.
I enjoyed it and thought some of the level design and enemy encounters were great.
It did become frustrating at times and I'm not sure I love the system of ammo and armor constantly popping out of enemies, but I may just play an easier difficulty next time. Still likely to be a challenge.
It was health they dropped I think. Chainsawing them dropped ammo.

"I'm bad at a difficult game and don't know how the mechanics work" - OP
How is it difficult if I am not dying and advancing thru the game no problem except the fun/enjoyment isn’t there?

“I’m bad at reading and assume based on title”

nah play Assassins creed its worse
I wouldn’t be disappointed in AC since I expect nothing from it lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's so systematic and the game is all about repeating those systems over and over again.
I really grew tired of it and also think 2016 was much better... and all the shitty platforming, flying power ups etc.
The game is too much, too fast. You have to constantly, non-stop chainsaw enemies, use flamethrower every time it recharges and glory kill enemies

Last edited:

nkarafo

I agree. It has a weird gameplay loop. The problem is that once you find a certain tactic that works for you, using certain weapons, some other weapons become useless. I only end up using half of the weapons and only use the other ones to conserve ammo for the ones i use.

Another thing i dislike is the whole visual style. Game looks like it's designed by a bunch of tattoo artists. Everything looks so edgy and over-decorated. It reminds me of Unreal Tournament 2003 a bit. Which was a nice graphics demo.

The soundtrack i also a godawful mix of edgy metal and dubstep or something, just like the 2016 version. Both games received a lot of praise for the soundtrack. I know it's mostly a matter of taste but god, there are other games that won awards for their music even though it wasn't my thing, but i could at least tell why they won. This... I can't understand what's so great about this kind of music.

Basically, the game is 2edgy4me.

It got grown on me though and i enjoyed it for what it was. Though i got tired near the end and never finished it.

Ulysses 31

Waiting for Old Gods DLC2 before I give it a fair shake but from what I've seen, the low ammo, having to chainsaw mooks so often, enemy weakpoints, the platforming seem to detract from what I liked about 2016 and older dooms. Also the story seems all over the place.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think some parts of Doom Eternal (especially fucking DLC) is just cheap fucking difficulty. I do understand thta with mouse and keyboard, it's probably doable. However for controller and still having some mild neurologic issues post surgery, I was never this fucking F RU S T RAT ED and yes it's spelled correctly.

Fuck you id.

But despite some parts, I really enjoyed the game

wipeout364

I think if I remember correctly you need to use the corrosion spray on enemies to refill ammo.

The game is too clever for its own good. I love it but I don’t like it as much as Doom(the last one). Every fight arena feels like a trial by fire where you have to balance movement, resources, replenishing resources and using the right weapon on the right enemy. It is a sweaty game where if you break concentration or pushing it you will pay for it. To be honest for me it’s almost too much for a single player game, if I want that experience I’ll play a FPS multiplayer game.

I agree. It has a weird gameplay loop. The problem is that once you find a certain tactic that works for you, using certain weapons, some other weapons become useless. I only end up using half of the weapons and only use the other ones to conserve ammo for the ones i use.

Another thing i dislike is the whole visual style. Game looks like it's designed by a bunch of tattoo artists. Everything looks so edgy and over-decorated. It reminds me of Unreal Tournament 2003 a bit. Which was a nice graphics demo.

The soundtrack i also a godawful mix of edgy metal and dubstep or something, just like the 2016 version. Both games received a lot of praise for the soundtrack. I know it's mostly a matter of taste but god, there are other games that won awards for their music even though it wasn't my thing, but i could at least tell why they won. This... I can't understand what's so great about this kind of music.

Basically, the game is 2edgy4me.

It got grown on me though and i enjoyed it for what it was. Though i got tired near the end and never finished it.
Whatever the floating blob cyclops thing is called

It was cool to shot the grenade in its mouth and watch it get heart burn and glory kill it... the first time. Maybe even the first couple. But eventually it felt like the game combat is incredibly narrow.

You CAN do it another way but you are an asshole - The Game

I get the idea of targeting weak points. But it just doesn’t allow for silly fun imo

Since you're on PC you can use mods to solve your ammo problem.

This one lets you increase loot drops:

There's also a console command that doubles your ammo capacity:

g_AmmoScalar 2

Though you'll need cheat engine to unlock the console, not sure if it still works with the latest version.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Felt the same at first but after over 200 hours on 2 different platforms I can safely say this is the most mechanically apt shooter ever made. It's designed to be replayed over and over so that you can learn every intricacy of the systems, from ressource management, to the hierarchy of guns to their relation with the fodder.
Only then you can play freeform your own way and let me tell you: that's when the power fantasy becomes glorious, even Souls series don't give me that type of satisfaction:

V4skunk

Banned
I have played some shit games in my gaming life. I know some will instantly say Git Gud but that wasn't the Doom Eternal problem for me. I didn't die a lot, I didn't have health problems.

I seemed to always have ammo problems and perhaps more importantly, I do not have a coke problem. And it feels like you need to be spun up to play this, or at the very least a gallon of Red Bull injected directly in your dick hole *Women can have dick holes too bigots. So not discriminating*

Being up front, I like Doom 2016... a lot. Loved it. And I liked retro Doom. I even like Duke Nukem. I've found value and enjoyment in games that have been panned by other players (Operation Raccoon City, Battlefront 2 at launch, Jedi Power Battle).

But holy dog shit Doom Eternal isn't for me. I made it to the point of picking up the Rocket Launcher. I then quit and uninstalled.

It isn't my fault tho. I enter an arena and start killing, run out of ammo before I've killed everything and have to search for more with enemies just chasing me. Or I chainsaw.

It got to a point where I just stopped killing the lowly zombie ones. They just weren't worthy of the ammo.

I honestly feel that the game would be enjoyable after I played it and could memorize the arenas/levels. Because it feels like the game is punishing me for not having knowledge of where everything is.

Even then I probably wouldn't be playing fast enough to satisfy the game lol. Everything about the game was tits. The music was awesome, the player movement was good. The game visually and performance wise was great.

Doom may run on a pregnancy test, but Doom Eternal isn't worthy of running on my PC. I rather play Duke Nukem Forever.
But you get unlimited ammo with the chainsaw and by glory killing baddies.

nkarafo

Whatever the floating blob cyclops thing is called

It was cool to shot the grenade in its mouth and watch it get heart burn and glory kill it... the first time. Maybe even the first couple. But eventually it felt like the game combat is incredibly narrow.

You CAN do it another way but you are an asshole - The Game

I get the idea of targeting weak points. But it just doesn’t allow for silly fun imo
At least that one you can easily get rid of, you are just forced to use a different weapon (which is lame, i agree). The demon with the shield was even worse though.

There is no way to brute force through him fast enough. You can empty all of your BFG on him, he doesn't care. That shield will absorb an exploding star near him. Pretty sure he can't be chainsawed and i don't think you can use that super-sword of your's either.

You absolutely have to kill him the way the game wants you to. That is wait for the right moment to lower his shield and repeat that a bunch of times. Whenever he appears, the game pretty much stalls until you kill him. He made sense as a boss encounter, but as a regular enemy?

Last edited:
Upgrade your weapons!!! , I had no clue about upgrading until I reached about 70% of the campaign, what a surprise! , despite that ,it's one of the games that pushes you to gain personal skills rather than making the gameplay easier through playing, don't worry, I don't call it punishing compares to let's say doom 2 ,final doom etc... ,you get the point ,where you think at one moment you're the guy and no one ever can come near to you but suddenly you get screwed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I'm with you man. I loved the 2016 game, but just can't get into Eternal and I've tried many many times. It looks and runs great, the controls are snappy, and the weapons seem fun to use, but just as you point out, the ammo scarcity and enemy weak points force you to play through the arena puzzle as the developers intended. There is a right way to do things and you will be punished for trying anything else. Not only that, but there are just way too many systems and shit to keep track of.

They took one of the best shooters in years and just slapped on a ton of extra shit to the point that wasn't very fun to play. At least for me. I know a lot of people have it as their game of the year.

But you get unlimited ammo with the chainsaw and by glory killing baddies.
I guess I didn’t chainsaw enough. I only did it when I was out of ammo.

It is like 343 Halo games. I like using UNSC weapons. But in Halo 4&5, I often had to use non UNSC weapons. Didn’t have enough ammo. I never felt Bungie required me to use Covenant weapons all the time.

I just felt like I always had to break flow to find ammo or chainsaw. Because while I can carry multiple weapons, grenades, and a mini flame thrower... I could only carry 16 shotgun shells. (I upgraded ammo to 18 shells)

Rikkori

Definitely was disappointed with Eternal as well. 2016 was almost perfect in its synergies, but Eternal just felt off and ended up taking itself more seriously somehow and ruining the gameplay even though the added mobility was great & the production quality improved a lot as well on a technical level. You can see it even from the interviews with the chief devs, they wanted to control your gameplay 100% instead of just letting you have fun, it's creepy. Why they waste so many resources on their shitty MP mode, I also don't understand - don't they see they suck at making MP? Just stick with what you know for a major release, experiment with a smaller project instead for MP and learn there.

Meh.

Last edited:

Danknugz

Both doom 2016 and doom eternal were a little too “cool” for me aesthetic wise and felt more like quake 3 arena.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I hate the git good mentality but 95 percent of complaints I have read, including OP, boils down to them sucking at the game. If you dont like that loop that doesnt make the game bad because you dont play it the way its meant to be played.

If you play chess and dont use your pieces the way its intended, does that make chess suck? No.

Last edited:
Upgrade your weapons!!! , I had no clue about upgrading until I reached about 70% of the campaign, what a surprise! , despite that ,it's one of the games that pushes you to gain personal skills rather than making the gameplay easier through playing, don't worry, I don't call it punishing compares to let's say doom 2 ,final doom etc... ,you get the point ,where you think at one moment you're the guy and no one ever can come near to you but suddenly you get screwed.
Cyber Demon is a joke , he is nothing compares to doom 2.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hate the git good mentality but 95 percent of complaints I have read, including OP, boils down to them sucking at the game. If you dont like that loop that doesnt make the game bad because you dont play it the way its meant to be played.

If you play chess and dont use your pieces the way its intended, does that make chess suck? No.

It's more like someone made Chess 2 and changed the rules so you can't move the same piece two turns in a row, and each piece has multiple sub-abilities on turn-based cooldowns that need to be kept track of in order to be effective against your opponent.

gypsygib

That part of the game, and soon after, gets challenging and can be frustrating, hate to say it but "get gud". Either your aim is bad and you're wasting a lot of ammo or you're not using the right weapons for the right enemies. The chainsaw recharges to ensure people don't absolutely run out of ammo so long as they exploit weak points/use your arsenal. Eternal requires certain rhythm. But I agree it is very fast paced.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's more like someone made Chess 2 and changed the rules so you can't move the same piece two turns in a row, and each piece has multiple sub-abilities on turn-based cooldowns that need to be kept track of in order to be effective against your opponent.
Thats extremely hyperbolic but the point still stands. If you play the game and don't use the mechanics they built and then cry its bad because you suck at it, I can't take you seriously.

Eternal has one of the most, if not the most, extensive and thrilling first person combat systems in the industry. Its not easy to master and it takes significant commitment to get good at it and a lot of people might not be willing or wanting to grasp it after 2016, but again, that doesnt make it bad.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thats extremely hyperbolic but the point still stands. If you play the game and don't use the mechanics they built and then cry its bad because you suck at it, I can't take you seriously.

Eternal has one of the most, if not the most, extensive and thrilling first person combat systems in the industry. Its not easy to master and it takes significant commitment to get good at it and a lot of people might not be willing or wanting to grasp it after 2016, but again, that doesnt make it bad.

Yeah, I totally recognize that it resonates with a lot of people. It's just not for me and normally that wouldn't be disappointing if it were just some new IP, but it's DOOM. A series that just got a proper faithful resurrection with updated gameplay that rocked a few years earlier that everyone loved. It always sucks when something you really enjoy puts out a new thing that's wildly different in a way you don't enjoy.

Top Bottom