• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal. Got to try it, and god it sucks!

Doom Eternal suck!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2014

AMhMvxD.png

so, nearly 40% of GAF are willing to say this game outright sucks.

this is a doom game, and that many people happily chose "it sucks"? i mean, thats saying something about the game which is impossible to deny. the devs rerally need to take a step back and look at what made 36% of us say that. it'd be one thing if it was like 15%, or even 20%. but we are approaching 40% of gamers on a gaming website saying the game is a POS...

i mean, how much more clear can it be that this game, which was supposed to be a massive hit, and came off of a game (doom 2016) that is widely considered one of the best shooters of all time (certainly is recent years), is alienating a large part of the gaming community with its sweaty, uber difficult, overly complex and just straight up annoying and not fun gameplay?

im happy for the people who like it, and you can hit me with all the low effort "git gud" replys you want, but thats not going to change the poll results. so could the devs please take a look at why nearly 40% say the game "sucks"? and maybe help find some middle ground that makes both camps happy? aka doom 2016.

tenor.gif

Its what i find impressive. It seem that you love this game, or simply hate it. Was a bit questioning myself ( hell, even gave it a second try ), but it seem a lot doesnt love it. I can’t stop counting games i love and some other of the same series just doesnt click as much, but the difference here is just not a game i think its sadly inferior, its a game that totally miss the boat. Im really raising my flame shield here, but Doom 3 was a better game, which at least, i got entertained when it was release and finish it. Was it having the soul of old Doom classics? Na. But it entertained me for what it was. And i just cant say that about that game and wont force feed me to make sure my opinion will be different. My first hours of Doom 3 i enjoy them, which is not the case with this one. Not here to make a case about Doom 3, because honestly, i think it aged very badly.

Im still happy to see in a way than im not alone, nearly 40% of people here, when you look at the reviews you start asking yourself if maybe there something im not doing or understanding right, but seeing people having the similar feeling as i got here, well, there is something wrong about it. It just doesnt feel like a Doom game, and at the same time, its not memorable. If the majority here seem to enjoy it, good for them, but yeah, i really hope Beth listen to the critics it can get in order to make the next one more memorable.

HF2014

I still haven't played it, but 2016 was perfection in its immediate dive into the gameplay, just like the classic DOOM entries.

To be honest, if Eternal has even the slightest on-screen tutorials, as some suggest above, I'm already preemptively raging at it for forgetting everything they learned in the prior entry. Let's hope it isn't that bad, when I finally get around to it.

Well, tutorials can be turn off in the options. Dont start with them, seriously, if you want to give it a try.

Phase

This thread has been a funny read. I'm somewhat in between. I had fun with 2016, but with Eternal I stopped about 6 hrs in. I was trying to enjoy it but there's just a lot of annoying things (to me) that take my enjoyment out of it. The rpg mechanics, the level design, the chainsaw ammo loop were all a detriment to me. I have to admit some of the fights and arenas were very fun, but ultimately I grew tired of the gameplay loop and to me many design decisions detracted from what Doom should be.

This is only my opinion, but I would give 2016 an 8-8.5/10 and Eternal a 6-7/10.

Sygma

You are right about metacritic.
Many reviews are unscored so not factors.
All with scored ones equally weighted.
They include official magazines which are overly generous.
They include extreme reviews which were made for clicks.
No certainty the reviewer completed the game.
No guarantee the review factors in technical performance.
Some reviews are written by genre fans some not.
It goes on.

I mean just look at the achievements between doom 2016 and Eternal, see which one has been completed on a higher basis. Spoiler, its Eternal

2016 lost all its humpf in the second half, which is something Eternal never runs out of up until Ancient gods part 1 since it features the craziest fights in a solo fps in a very, very, very long time. There's no other fps in recent memory being as good as Eternal when it comes down to the overall pace (again, until ancient gods 1), the gameplay (its packed of techs made for actual hardcore fps players, not your average schmuck being fan of the franchise since the inception), the encounters and the variety of enemies

The platforming argument also has about ZERO VALIDITY whatsoever. The original Doom II had PLENTY of fucking annoying jumps to nail, inbetween sprint sections springed with traps. To pretend otherwise is in bad faith, which most of these arguments are based in to begin with. Eternal is Doom on crack, and people seriously saying that the game feels limiting in the power fantasy department compared to 2016 are very much out of their mind. In case its not clear yet, the slayer itself is beyond broken in the game

Last edited:
Last edited:

Sygma

Why?
Because there was no platforming in the originals? Spoiler: There was, a lot, and way more tedious and unforgiving than both 2016 and Eternal combined.
Or because open midriff and pet bunny-having dude in a bike helmet punching bipedal piglets is some gritty-ass bOoTs oN tHe gRoUnd shit?

Rskype4.jpg

I think the second level of Doom 2 introduces some of that super tight platforming that just gets worse later on, and then the game threw some wild shit with that elevator killing you if you dont jump in time to not get squished by the rockets shot from the cyberdemon at the other end of the screen inbetween the 1345 plasma balls coming at your way from the cacodemons

and from there it just ramps up lmao. That whole era, Doom 2 and then the plethora of fps made on build engine was just PACKED with platforming. From Doom to Hexen to Duke Nukem 3d to Redneck Rampage, to Quake and all of that. Like, seriously

Even Blood had a ton of it

Last edited:

HF2014

Why?
Because there was no platforming in the originals? Spoiler: There was, a lot, and way more tedious and unforgiving than both 2016 and Eternal combined.
Or because open midriff and pet bunny-having dude in a bike helmet punching bipedal piglets is some gritty-ass bOoTs oN tHe gRoUnd shit?

Rskype4.jpg

Well, its the way the platforming is done in Eternal. And speaking of old classic, i think there is no one putting Doom II in front of Doom Classic. I can’t remember the reception it got when it was release, played it a bit later, but trying Doom II didnt make me enjoy it more than classic Doom, but hey, its still an enjoyable game.I dont mind some platforming, in Doom 2016 Argent Tower is about just that, but the way its done, its make it a very impressive level. Adding double dash, grappling hook, wall climbing just doesnt make it feel right.

But platforming isnt the only problem with Eternal. The weapon ammo switch problem, level design, all add up to make it for me a game im ready to forget. I just dont feel im playing Doom. Im at my 5th start over of Doom 2016, and still having a blast, and restarted it last week just to remind me if im still into these games, and you can bet i am.

Sygma

Well, its the way the platforming is done in Eternal. And speaking of old classic, i think there is no one putting Doom II in front of Doom Classic. I can’t remember the reception it got when it was release, played it a bit later, but trying Doom II didnt make me enjoy it more than classic Doom, but hey, its still an enjoyable game.I dont mind some platforming, in Doom 2016 Argent Tower is about just that, but the way its done, its make it a very impressive level. Adding double dash, grappling hook, wall climbing just doesnt make it feel right.

But platforming isnt the only problem with Eternal. The weapon ammo switch problem, level design, all add up to make it for me a game im ready to forget. I just dont feel im playing Doom. Im at my 5th start over of Doom 2016, and still having a blast, and restarted it last week just to remind me if im still into these games, and you can bet i am.

Who cares if Doom II didnt make you enjoy it more than classic, its not the point. Doom ALWAYS HAS BEEN about precision and speed be it in gunplay or platforming, and its exactly what Eternal is about with literally all the techs you can think of used in 3D fps since Quake. Like the only tweak made to that is the arbalest jump instead of rocket jump

You have the right to prefer Doom 2016 if it reminds you more of classic Doom thus it being more enjoyable

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Who cares if Doom II didnt make you enjoy it more than classic, its not the point. Doom ALWAYS HAS BEEN about precision and speed be it in gunplay or platforming, and its exactly what Eternal is about with literally all the techs you can think of used in 3D fps since Quake. Like the only tweak made to that is the arbalest jump instead of rocket jump

You have the right to prefer Doom 2016 if it reminds you more of classic Doom thus it being more enjoyable
Classic DOOM was clearly about speed and somewhat precision too, but in a completely different context. The difference between the two is a textbook example of “less is more” IMHO… aiming was 2D only and autoaim/aim correction helped, 2D aiming meant controlling the camera and the character was a lot simpler so there was a lot less to think about.

Last edited:
Well, its the way the platforming is done in Eternal.

The weapon ammo switch problem, level design, all add up to make it for me a game im ready to forget.
Please, be more unspecific, it really adds to your criticism.
It really seems like you're skirting around saying it was too difficult for you, rather than point out some objective issues with the game.
Which there are some, but none of what you listed.

Last edited:

Vesna

Neo Member
The game is meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard. If you are playing with a controller, chances are you’ll never be able to finish it on higher difficulties. I know some people out there have done it, but it’s a huge handicap.
That is simply not true. You can go into settings and configure the controller, it will work better than a mouse + way more immersive due to the vibration and comfort.

Pilgrimzero

Just tried Doom Eternal again. This time on Easy which made it much more fun... which isnt saying much.

How do you make the most anti-doom doom game?

Overly complicated Jumping puzzles.
Low ammo.
A million different buttons for different grenades and flame throwers and mods. Feel like im fighting the controls more than the demons. Switch gun! Switch mod! Fire flamethrower! Switch to freeze grenade! Fire alt fire! Fire regular ammo! ..... Out of ammo cant chainsaw this guy maybe this guy. gotta punch this guy so i get HP. Should flame them first for AC etc etc. What is this over complicated shit?

Not to mention like 4 currencies for upgrades. Mods, gun credits. Special gun mod unlock tests. Suit credits. Runes. etc etc etc

And what is this shit story? I feel like I missed a chunk of story somewhere. Guess I have a space ship castle now? And so the marine.. er Slayer doesn't have to talk I have an AI that wont SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Just kill demons. Is it really that hard.

Got to about the same place I did last time. Found yet another quick leap jump puzzle and said fuck it.

This isn't Doom, this is some RPG lovers fanfiction about Doom who thinks jump puzzles haven't always been hated since the dawn of video games.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Just tried Doom Eternal again. This time on Easy which made it much more fun... which isnt saying much.

Low ammo.
A million different buttons for different grenades and flame throwers and mods. Feel like im fighting the controls more than the demons. Switch gun! Switch mod! Fire flamethrower! Switch to freeze grenade! Fire alt fire! Fire regular ammo! ..... Out of ammo cant chainsaw this guy maybe this guy. gotta punch this guy so i get HP. Should flame them first for AC etc etc. What is this over complicated shit?

Not to mention like 4 currencies for upgrades. Mods, gun credits. Special gun mod unlock tests. Suit credits. Runes. etc etc etc

And what is this shit story? I feel like I missed a chunk of story somewhere. Guess I have a space ship castle now? And so the marine.. er Slayer doesn't have to talk I have an AI that wont SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Got to about the same place I did last time. Found yet another quick leap jump puzzle and said fuck it.

This isn't Doom, this is some RPG lovers fanfiction about Doom who thinks jump puzzles haven't always been hated since the dawn of video games.

The true successor to DOOM 1/2 was DOOM 2016. It matched John Carmack's original vision. It was modern day DOOM with modern day graphics.

Last edited:
I still have to go back to this game. But the fact I was able to drop it, after Doom 2016 totally gripped me is saying a lot.

It feels like the pacing is shit, too much jumping around, not much fun. Graphics didn't even feel better/sharper than the original, despite the tech being improved.
The true successor to DOOM 1/2 was DOOM 2016. It matched John Carmack's original vision. It was modern day DOOM with modern graphics.
True, but the way it gave me a high was similar to how fun Resident Evil 4 was when it launched way back when.

Cool, gory, responsive, not punishing despite dificult. It felt so fine tuned and polished. One of those games that ends up punching above it's weight. Even the small time trial things were fun and challenging.

Doom Eternal lost all that spirit. Story was never important, but on that too, Doom 2016 managed to be a bit tongue in cheek, or at least felt like it.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

Low ammo.

lJZpStb.gif

Feel my pain!

The true successor to DOOM 1/2 was
1sI6q2b.jpg

drotahorror

Low ammo.

You're garbage at the game. All I can think of.

Beechos

Doom and doom eternal is literally the same damn game wtf? Did I play a different game than everyone else? Eternal just added platforming. You cant play doom like a traditional fps.

1. You stop moving, you die.
2. You dont switch guns, you die.
3. You dont strategically use your chainsaw and flamethrower, you die.

Both games were top tier last gen.
Despite most people hating marauders I'm indifferent with the them. It added a cool fighting game mechanic to a fps where you kinda had to "parry" to damage them.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Low ammo.

DOOM Eternal is the most DOOM DOOM game there is.

Overly complicated jumping puzzles? They didn't take me more than 10 seconds to figure them out on a first playthrough. By my second, it didn't even take 5 seconds to get through those areas. They literally don'te ven make up 0.1% of the total playtime. If you are struggling with the platforming, you probably should just stop playing this game as you will *not* survive most of the combat encounters.

I never ran out of ammo. You are constantly chainsawing, belching, freezing, and shattering enemies which always gives you health, armor, Ammo. If you are finding you are constantly running out of ammo, you are missing your shots too much. It doesn't take much thought. You kill demons. Use all your tools. This isn't COD, don't rely on just one weapon and get confused. Got a group? Ice them, burn them, chainsaw bigger demons easy done. Congrats. You just beat the hardest difficulty without issue.

You can easily reach every weapon with one hand and never have to "struggle" to remember your weapon or buttons unless you have the memory of a goldfish.

The story can be skipped. Instantly. Maybe 1-2 seconds of loading. Don't like the story? Skip it. Not hard.

All this reads is that you fail to understand the very basic mechanics of the game and just fail at games in general. Git Gud.

zcaa0g

Banned

Overly complicated jumping puzzles? They didn't take me more than 10 seconds to figure them out on a first playthrough. By my second, it didn't even take 5 seconds to get through those areas. They literally don'te ven make up 0.1% of the total playtime. If you are struggling with the platforming, you probably should just stop playing this game as you will *not* survive most of the combat encounters.

I never ran out of ammo. You are constantly chainsawing, belching, freezing, and shattering enemies which always gives you health, armor, Ammo. If you are finding you are constantly running out of ammo, you are missing your shots too much. It doesn't take much thought. You kill demons. Use all your tools. This isn't COD, don't rely on just one weapon and get confused. Got a group? Ice them, burn them, chainsaw bigger demons easy done. Congrats. You just beat the hardest difficulty without issue.

You can easily reach every weapon with one hand and never have to "struggle" to remember your weapon or buttons unless you have the memory of a goldfish.

The story can be skipped. Instantly. Maybe 1-2 seconds of loading. Don't like the story? Skip it. Not hard.

All this reads is that you fail to understand the very basic mechanics of the game and just fail at games in general. Git Gud.

You must have not played DOOM in the 90s when it came out. DOOM Eternal was FPS Mario. Git educated.

Pimpbaa

I was able to get through the game on default difficulty, and I suck at games due to age and weed. You don’t enough need to git gud, just git mediocre with this game. Only thing that really gave me trouble was the DLC, shit that was brutal.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You must have not played DOOM in the 90s when it came out. DOOM Eternal was FPS Mario. Git educated.

DOOM 93 was my first FPS. DOOM II was the first game I learned to speed run.

DOOM Eternal is as much Mario as Animal Crossing is Dead Rising.

I was able to get through the game on default difficulty, and I suck at games due to age and weed. You don’t enough need to git gud, just git mediocre with this game. Only thing that really gave me trouble was the DLC, shit that was brutal.

True. The DLC was truly difficult. I hope the rumor of Quake reboot will be coming ramps up the difficulty even more.

Corian33

I found that I enjoyed Eternal’s ballet of combat more and more the further I got into it. Having to constantly think while using everything in your kit as efficiently as possible was really something when you got good at it. I finished on normal difficulty and felt like I had only scratched the surface of how the game is really meant to be played.

That said, I preferred the story and vibe from 2016 better. It’s cool they wanted to expand the universe and flesh out the lore, but they really got carried away.

Pilgrimzero

I found that I enjoyed Eternal’s ballet of combat more and more the further I got into it. Having to constantly think while using everything in your kit as efficiently as possible was really something when you got good at it. I finished on normal difficulty and felt like I had only scratched the surface of how the game is really meant to be played.

That said, I preferred the story and vibe from 2016 better. It’s cool they wanted to expand the universe and flesh out the lore, but they really got carried away.

Fuck yes they did. What asshat thought the Doom Marine needed Deep Lore?

Doom and doom eternal is literally the same damn game wtf? Did I play a different game than everyone else? Eternal just added platforming. You cant play doom like a traditional fps.

1. You stop moving, you die.
2. You dont switch guns, you die.
3. You dont strategically use your chainsaw and flamethrower, you die.

Both games were top tier last gen.
Despite most people hating marauders I'm indifferent with the them. It added a cool fighting game mechanic to a fps where you kinda had to "parry" to damage them.
Eternal is built on the base of 2016 but alot had been added or re-tooled

You have a lot more movement options in eternal between dashing, meat-hook and monkey bars.

Less ammo in Eternal, more frequently use the chainsaw, flamethrower added in Eternal to replenishe armour, weak spots added in eternal.

You can switch weapons in 2016 but your not really forced especially was you have the super shotgun. Eternal incentives switching weapons far more.

There's alot of other minor changes as well that I can't think off the top head.

Justin9mm

Here we go again. You know how many ppl have come on GAF not understanding how the game has evolved and works? It's arguably one of the best fps ever made from a technical standpoint. It literally executes everything almost flawlessly. It's the pinnacle of what an arena shooter should be. It's one thing not to like it but it's another thing to call it out for things you don't understand.

The tutorial is there at the start because the gameplay has evolved quite a bit, without it, you will probably have your ass handed to you.

The chainsaw to replenish ammo is also the most ridiculous complaint. What is the difference between chainsawing some fodder enemy then say pressing a button to pick up some ammo on the floor? It's just a different way, it's not harder or more complicated. In fact to use the chainsaw in Doom 2016, it was actually a two button process, you had to equip it and then use it. At least in Eternal one press and you are not only killing an enemy but you are also picking up ammo at the same time. Like wtf are you on?

You didn't even play long enough to learn the mechanics of the game to even fully understand how its evolved. I'm gonna bet you had a hard time with it from the get go because you had no patience to get gud and rage quit.

Doom 2016 is the easiest fucking fps ever made. You could literally finish the game with 1 weapon the whole game. Eternal forces you to think on your feet, something you didn't want to take the time to understand. It needed to evolve, Doom 2016 was fun but it was a stale easy formula.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Doesn’t hold a candle to Doom 2016, it’s as if they gave the sequel to a different studio. Once in awhile I go back to it and it’s so chaotic and brainless. Gotta laugh at the people who think it’s some deep FPS, it’s just fast that’s all. I never have any problem advancing through the game, but I always get tired quick because it always feels like the game was made for a 16 year old kid drooling from his mouth wearing an energy drink t shirt who yells at his mom.

Doesn’t hold a candle to Doom 2016, it’s as if they gave the sequel to a different studio. Once in awhile I go back to it and it’s so chaotic and brainless. Gotta laugh at the people who think it’s some deep FPS, it’s just fast that’s all. I never have any problem advancing through the game, but I always get tired quick because it always feels like the game was made for a 16 year old kid drooling from his mouth wearing an energy drink t shirt who yells at his mom.
You playing it on Nightmare? How is it brainless( Fine it's chaotic)

2016 is brainless in comparison just go up to everything point blank super shotgun game done.

Drew1440

It's a nice evolution from Doom 2016, but is the doom guy supposed to be superhuman? In the original games he was supposed to be your average marine but in the newer games he's breaking chain's, crushing skulls and jumping about with no fatugue at all. It does seem there trying to model him after Halo's masterchief.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Doom Eternal is probably not a bad game.

It's just a bad doom game.

I hated it. I was so hyped for it when I got GP. I love all the precious Dooms except doom II - which is probably also why I hate doom eternal.

Doom reboot was about action. Destroy all demons and just gore haven.

Doom eternal, nuke a little room that has monsters, spare your ammo or use chainsaw alot.

Want more action fun? Fuck you, do all this jump puzzle shit before you are allowed to have more fun.

I loved doom it has a special place in my heart, but I don't really care about the next doom if its more Eternal and less Doom.

Edit - so sad to see people saying git gud instead of accepting People don't want to play shit like this.

The dragon souls circlejerks are ruining gaming with their elitist retardation.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's a nice evolution from Doom 2016, but is the doom guy supposed to be superhuman? In the original games he was supposed to be your average marine but in the newer games he's breaking chain's, crushing skulls and jumping about with no fatugue at all. It does seem there trying to model him after Halo's masterchief.

In DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 64 he single handedly defeated Hell's Armies. He has always been an omega chad. Master Chief was modeled *after DOOM Marine*, not the other way around.

Braag

Dunno why Eternal is considered to be too complex. Need ammo? Use the chainsaw. Need health? Do a glory kill. Need armor? Use the flame belch.
Most importantly, always keep moving.
it's that simple.

Things I later learned was to never try to save my abilities, just use them all the time, the cooldowns aren't that long. Also the freeze grenade makes some encounters trivial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom