• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal. Got to try it, and god it sucks!

Doom Eternal suck!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved Doom Eternal, easily the best game I played last year.

I actually didn't like it at first, then I realized I was trying to play Doom 2016. Once I got that figured out and played the game using it's mechanics I quickly found it to be more fun than 2016 was and had a blast the entire way through. I'll definitely play through it again.

it looks impressive but its not fun to actually play, thats the whole point.

its tedious, overwhelming, annoying, forces you to play a very particular way and its horribly difficult on top of all that (and i was playing on the lowest difficulty). more power to you if you like all of that and stuck it out long enough to "git gud", but i am seeing this topic pop up every 2 or 3 months on gaf alone, and its always the same complaints. this isnt just a few people didnt like it scenario, this is a 50% of us hate it for perfectly valid reasons, while the other 50% like it for the same reasons those other people hate it for.

it can be both at the same time. the real story here is why the fuck they would make such a polarizing game, especially with how universally loved 2016 was? why not stick with the formula of doom 2016 when it was so succesful? perhaps they could have made some subtle changes, maybe 1 or 2 big changes, but why make so many wildly huge changes and alienate half of your fan base?

it doenst make any sense. whether you love it or hate it, the doom franchise is losing half of their fanbase (or more?) just to please the sweaty, hardcore, ultra fast, ADD players, and that is a problem.
Because hugo martin thought the original was some basic shit. that's why, and he had a vision, and he was right.

so not more fun to who? you?

doom 2016 was a more basic and accessible game. even the director said so...what does that say about you?

regardless, they gave you dashes to work with, grappling hooks, double jumps etc, and you can't figure out a way to make that shit a more badass experience than 2016? that is completely on you buddy. you're lack of creativity is potentially having an affect on how a great shooter will be made next go around and i'm not having it lol

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

I actually didn't like it at first, then I realized I was trying to play Doom 2016. Once I got that figured out and played the game using it's mechanics I quickly found it to be more fun than 2016 was and had a blast the entire way through. I'll definitely play through it again.
index.php

lefty1117

Gold Member
Yeah it's funny, I liked Doom 2016 more, it just grabbed me and didn't let go. But my son absolutely loves Eternal. To each his own

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
After rewatching that video it struck me just how rainbow colourful it all is, theres more neon purple, gold, pink than an LGBT convention..

If that doesnt scream Doom, I dont know what does.
I loved how colorful Eternal was. Hell, I was glad they changed the color after the initial 2016 Doom showing. The infinite number of yellow/brown/"realism" shooters was getting exhausting to look at.

Yeah it's funny, I liked Doom 2016 more, it just grabbed me and didn't let go. But my son absolutely loves Eternal. To each his own

The teacher has become the student I see.

Last edited:

Ywap

I played it a couple of hours and found it boring with the forced melee/chainsaw mechanics so i quit.

Not saying it´s a bad game, not just for me. Happy for those who enjoy it though :)

Justin9mm

This is the most rational and logical response! lol

People that didn't like Doom Eternal have skewed expectations and are stubborn to change and blinded because Eternal improved on something that was good rather than keep the exact same gameplay that would probably become stale.

You could literally finish Doom 2016 with one weapon, there was no real challenge. They made the right decision by evolving it. I loved Doom 2016 but Eternal is even better.

I dont know what the hell happen between the way Doom 2016 was made and Doom Eternal, but clearly Beth really delivered a stinker here. When i saw the trailer of it, i was a bit hesitant, really not digging the grapply hook part, thinking it was out of context of a Doom game. So decided to wait for a cheap price grab, and well, its on gamepass. For 1$ for a month, why not. Here is my chance to try it.

I played with it for about an hour. First, there is this beth account you need to sign up for the game ( turn off wifi and it bypass, not a big concern here ). Then it start. First, the shotgun sound sucks. Period. Its already a big down for me, well, because all shotgun sounds in Doom game sound just great, and this one doesnt.

Then you start playing, getting slammed by tutorials out of the gameplay, i found this pretty average. Then again, your getting the chainsaw which is now it seem the only way to replenish your ammo, so you constantly need to use it when your out of ammo. Fans of violence here will probably applaude this decision, i dont. The you get some kind of gas thing you need to throw over your enemies, im not sure i understand the meaning or fun of this part. Then to ice the cake, why not throw some Spider-Man stuff in there, climbing walls, poles and making jumps . WTF.

No, i didnt even got to the part where you need to get a grappling hook, i uninstalled this game pretty quickly. Sure there is less ´arena ´ like fights which some were complaning ( it never bother me ), but still this game feel like a more arcade on steroids Doom game than something that feel like a real Doom game.

2016 Doom is still the king! Its a shame they change direction on how well the first game was made to make this mess. Perhaps in the minority here ( it got great scores reviews ), but i just can’t understand these great reviews about it.
You are not alone. I can't stand eternal. I loved 2016, and doom 3 , even though it was different (so its not the different part that bugs me). It just doesn't have the same feel. I also couldn't stand the repetitiveness in the fights, it wasn't movement based and still very locked into arena areas, like those locked section in god of war or dmc3, can't move forward till all enemies killed. Yeah 2016 had some of this but there was way more exploration and things made sense. I don't like being restricted in ammo either. It makes this feel more like a puzzle game than anything else.

Lanrutcon

This is the most rational and logical response! lol

People that didn't like Doom Eternal have skewed expectations and are stubborn to change and blinded because Eternal improved on something that was good rather than keep the exact same gameplay that would probably become stale.

You could literally finish Doom 2016 with one weapon, there was no real challenge. They made the right decision by evolving it. I loved Doom 2016 but Eternal is even better.

Naw. There are enough people that didn't like Eternal to make the reasonable assumption that Eternal isn't the obvious improvement some people paint it as.

And I've yet to see a defense of Doom Eternal platforming that didn't make me cringe. I doubt time is going to be kind to that facet of the game.

Malcolm9

It's a decent FPS but it moves further away from what DOOM was all about. I still find playing the original games far more satisfying.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
It's amazing how many people keep claiming they struggled with ammo.

You have a chainsaw that you can literally use on cool down at will.

You shouldn't ever be running out of ammo if you're paying attention. Every arena is littered with fodder enemies for this very purpose.

''We want fast paced shooters'' they said
''We want shooters with weapon wheels'' they said

Team ID " Here's doom eternal, incredibly fast paced and encourages no DEMANDS weapon switching.

Them. There's too many enemies, why I am always running out of ammo, why cant I always use the Super shotgun, bad game, poorly designed etc etc😭😭😭

Jokes aside doom eternal just encourages you to play a certain way. Once it clicks its sublime best single player first person shooter ever. It's not that difficult if my uncoordinated ass can beat nightmare 3 times you can too and it took me 90 hours to beat dark souls.

I can understand if someone prefers doom 2016 brutal simplicity but like others have said eternal make that borderline unplayable now. I have tried watching youtube speed runs of 2016 and get bored after 10 minutes.

Surprised it gets a negative reaction on gaf and other gaming sites that seem to really enjoy hard high skill games like dark souls, devil may cry etc

Agreed with the OP. Strong platforming elements is always a NONO in fps. Doom eternal is a very tedious game. Not only are the platforming bits awful (and there are tons of them) but Doom guy is completely underpowered compared to Doom 2016. The only good thing I can say about this game is that it has amazing graphics.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oh of course it's valid to be disappointed in a change of direction, but OP said he didn't understand the appeal of the game. I'd argue he didn't get to the point where it clicks for most people and the appeal becomes apparent. If he didn't like the change in direction then that's fine, but that's a separate conversation.

Yes i agree. My post was more directed towards the general discussion ITT. I didn't feel like responding specifically to the OP seeing there's not to much to respond to.

Spaceman292

Banned
I dont know what the hell happen between the way Doom 2016 was made and Doom Eternal, but clearly Beth really delivered a stinker here. When i saw the trailer of it, i was a bit hesitant, really not digging the grapply hook part, thinking it was out of context of a Doom game. So decided to wait for a cheap price grab, and well, its on gamepass. For 1$ for a month, why not. Here is my chance to try it.

I played with it for about an hour. First, there is this beth account you need to sign up for the game ( turn off wifi and it bypass, not a big concern here ). Then it start. First, the shotgun sound sucks. Period. Its already a big down for me, well, because all shotgun sounds in Doom game sound just great, and this one doesnt.

Then you start playing, getting slammed by tutorials out of the gameplay, i found this pretty average. Then again, your getting the chainsaw which is now it seem the only way to replenish your ammo, so you constantly need to use it when your out of ammo. Fans of violence here will probably applaude this decision, i dont. The you get some kind of gas thing you need to throw over your enemies, im not sure i understand the meaning or fun of this part. Then to ice the cake, why not throw some Spider-Man stuff in there, climbing walls, poles and making jumps . WTF.

No, i didnt even got to the part where you need to get a grappling hook, i uninstalled this game pretty quickly. Sure there is less ´arena ´ like fights which some were complaning ( it never bother me ), but still this game feel like a more arcade on steroids Doom game than something that feel like a real Doom game.

2016 Doom is still the king! Its a shame they change direction on how well the first game was made to make this mess. Perhaps in the minority here ( it got great scores reviews ), but i just can’t understand these great reviews about it.
*YOU'RE*

Also your opinions suck

mr.dilya

Banned
Yeah.....I wouldn't say it sucks but it's definitely a drop off from Doom 2016. in my opinion. I don't like the "kill arena after kill arena" style of gameplay. I prefer exploration.

A lot of people didn't like the platforming but that's one of the few things I actually liked about it.

Right now I am playing Wolfenstein Blade of Agony (a free game) and I'm having much more fun with it.

Ellery

Loved it. Amazing game. Quite difficult, but that just makes it more rewarding. Well worth buckling up, getting good and playing through it multiple times.

Runs like a charm on PC. I wish all games were that smooth

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I love this game, but the ammo drops do feel awkward to me.
You wouldn't think immersion would matter in a game like Doom, but bits of ammo flying out of demons just does not compute with me. I'm not sure why finding random dumps of ammo all over each and every level feels better to me, but it does. I almost wish ammo was less of a factor in general. Don't get me wrong, it's obviously core to the design, but if they could shift slightly away from that as a pillar of gameplay, I'd be pretty happy. Maybe in the future, only especially powerful weapons would require ammo pick-ups? I don't know, I'm not a game designer.

I really love the level design though. It made combat encounters a blast.

Last edited:

HF2014

''We want fast paced shooters'' they said
''We want shooters with weapon wheels'' they said

Team ID " Here's doom eternal, incredibly fast paced and encourages no DEMANDS weapon switching.

Them. There's too many enemies, why I am always running out of ammo, why cant I always use the Super shotgun, bad game, poorly designed etc etc😭😭😭

Jokes aside doom eternal just encourages you to play a certain way. Once it clicks its sublime best single player first person shooter ever. It's not that difficult if my uncoordinated ass can beat nightmare 3 times you can too and it took me 90 hours to beat dark souls.

I can understand if someone prefers doom 2016 brutal simplicity but like others have said eternal make that borderline unplayable now. I have tried watching youtube speed runs of 2016 and get bored after 10 minutes.

Surprised it gets a negative reaction on gaf and other gaming sites that seem to really enjoy hard high skill games like dark souls, devil may cry etc

Its maybe part of the problem. You’re not the first one putting a Dark Souls reference in here, and tbh, its not what im looking for when playing Doom. They change the formula of the first to make it more harder and less focus on using the weapon you love, and really hate that you constantly need to use the chainsaw, using tactics, etc. I watch the video someone post here where there is grappling hook and portals, and i really dont like it.

Its not that im not up for a Dark Souls game, hell, iv beaten all freakin souls games, enjoy everyone of them. Its simply not something i expect in some way being in Doom, when Doom is about to shoot and kill and area map puzzle. This game simply suck for me and for some here. Very dissapointed by the way they did this new Doom.

I listened to a couple buddies debate n rib each other over whether the latest Call of Duty or Titanfall was better and it sounded like a similar comparison in a way. One liked CoD better for it's boots on ground simplicity the other liked TF better bc of the more advanced traversal and creativity it requires. For what it's worth I enjoy both.

I haven't played either of the latest Doom games but I have a feeling I'm in for a treat with both and I like the idea the second one really changes up the formula from the sounds of it.

Its maybe part of the problem. You’re not the first one putting a Dark Souls reference in here, and tbh, its not what im looking for when playing Doom. They change the formula of the first to make it more harder and less focus on using the weapon you love, and really hate that you constantly need to use the chainsaw, using tactics, etc. I watch the video someone post here where there is grappling hook and portals, and i really dont like it.

Its not that im not up for a Dark Souls game, hell, iv beaten all freakin souls games, enjoy everyone of them. Its simply not something i expect in some way being in Doom, when Doom is about to shoot and kill and area map puzzle. This game simply suck for me and for some here. Very dissapointed by the way they did this new Doom.
Okay that's fair enough if it's not for you it's not for you 🤷‍♂️

But if you have only played for an hour, maybe give it a little bit longer and it might click for you. What difficulty are you playing on?

I don't think it's hard necessarily it just requires to be played a certain way. Once you have the basic's down you can be much more creative in how you play in comparison to 2016. Doom 2016 offers more freedom at first but doesn’t expand much beyond that. Whereas Eternal can feel restrictive at first, but you get a lot more freedom the better you get at the game.

Last edited:

HF2014

Okay that's fair enough if it's not for you it's not for you 🤷‍♂️

But if you have only played for an hour, maybe give it a little bit longer and it might click for you. What difficulty are you playing on?

I don't think it's hard necessarily it just requires to be played a certain way. Once you have the basic's down you can be much more creative in how you play in comparison to 2016. Doom 2016 offers more freedom at first but doesn’t expand much beyond that. Whereas Eternal can feel restrictive at first, but you get a lot more freedom the better you get at the game.

Been playing on regular difficulty i guess, started the game by not changing it. Perhaps lowering the difficulty could make it more appealing, hoping the weapons change because out of ammo or use of chainsaw will be less frequent?

Yeah i had the experience of being assaulted with menus and tutorials and options, and then, with the climbing shit, just nope'd the fuck out.... Definitely been wanting to give it another go though.

Danknugz

this belongs in r/unpopular opinion but I honestly wasn’t that hyped on doom 2016 either. The aesthetic was too “cool” just say no to dubstep doom.

also the fact that they removed death match from doom eternal is straight blasphemy. No words for that colossal failure of a decision.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

What i mean about this is sure using the chainsaw in the first one was great, but having to do this action every three minutes turn off the joy of doing it. If you love the bloodbath about it and need it every minutes well its what i ment.
I've not seen anyone using chainsaw from those YouTube leet gameplays :goog_unsure:

raduque

Agreed with the OP. Strong platforming elements is always a NONO in fps. Doom eternal is a very tedious game. Not only are the platforming bits awful (and there are tons of them) but Doom guy is completely underpowered compared to Doom 2016. The only good thing I can say about this game is that it has amazing graphics.
Platforming in FPS' are the worst. I got stuck on that stupid level trying to climb back out using the yellow poles in that circular room for like 45 minutes.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yeah.....I wouldn't say it sucks but it's definitely a drop off from Doom 2016. in my opinion. I don't like the "kill arena after kill arena" style of gameplay. I prefer exploration.

A lot of people didn't like the platforming but that's one of the few things I actually liked about it.

Right now I am playing Wolfenstein Blade of Agony (a free game) and I'm having much more fun with it.
Holy Gabe!!! That is some GOTY material! Game is really cool!

Retinoid

I don't think it sucks but Doom 2016 was overall a better game for me. Eternal tries too many different things and ends up feeling a bit disjointed in its direction with the intense battles mixed with the tacked-on platforming segments and movement mechanics. I understand that Id Software wanted to add more dimension and depth to the gameplay but to me it just ended up not working as well as I'd have liked. 2016 on the other hand knew what it was and stuck to its guns throughout the entire game and consequently felt like a much more focused experience.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it sucks but it sure as shit has less content than 2016. Deathmatch on 2016 is still good an active on PC. As for them dropping snap map that is just a real shame.

BUT DROPPING ARCADE MODE! Like what in the heck were they thinking. Doom Eternal feels like it was made for Arcade mode. Really hope it gets added back into Eternal soon!

The gameplay is solid!

Last edited:
🤷‍♂️
Been playing on regular difficulty i guess, started the game by not changing it. Perhaps lowering the difficulty could make it more appealing, hoping the weapons change because out of ammo or use of chainsaw will be less frequent?
Well you can increase your ammo the further you get in and you get more weapons so you have a higher a higher total ammo pool.

But you never get as much as doom 2016. Learning to chainsaw enemies is the one thing you always have to do. You can kinda stick with one primary weapon but you have to be really aware of when your chainsaw has recharged

If you still want to give it a ago I would suggest just remembering to use it in between the big arena fights. So your always fully stocked when you enter a battle. Before long you will doing it second nature in the big fights.

Personally I like games with strict ammo limits as it forces you to experiment with other weapons and hopefully get more depth out of game.

But it ain't for everyone. I think the difficulty mainly effects the damage the enemies do

Sygma

Doom Eternal is quite honestly the craziest power fantasy out there, and people saying that they dont have enough ammo to manage the encounters / complaining about the combat design simply don't have it in them. Not only is the slayer utterly broken at every level possible, the movement tech in there allows you to take close to no damage at all and the way you can burst damage continuously with quick swap and getting creative simply put to shame Super Shotgun 2016. Levels are also much better

It just put your ass in check and you didn't like it op, its ok, you're not alone

raduque

Doom Eternal is quite honestly the craziest power fantasy out there, and people saying that they dont have enough ammo to manage the encounters / complaining about the combat design simply don't have it in them. Not only is the slayer utterly broken at every level possible, the movement tech in there allows you to take close to no damage at all and the way you can burst damage continuously with quick swap and getting creative simply put to shame Super Shotgun 2016. Levels are also much better

It just put your ass in check and you didn't like it op, its ok, you're not alone
I'm not sure how you can say it's a power fantasy when you don't obliterate everything with just a couple of shots.

The words "power fantasy" to me means "baddest motherfucker, completely unstoppable, unkillable, destroys everything with a single glance". Doom Eternal isn't that.

Sygma

I'm not sure how you can say it's a power fantasy when you don't obliterate everything with just a couple of shots.

The words "power fantasy" to me means "baddest motherfucker, completely unstoppable, unkillable, destroys everything with a single glance". Doom Eternal isn't that.

Its exactly that tho, which further proves my point, people just don't know how to play it and then claims it is what it isn't. Again, the slayer is beyond broken in Eternal and so are the weapons when you know how to use them.

Little example : 3 charged rockets into a cacodemon is the fastest way to kill one. You can kill a marauder within one stunlock, not counting the hammer in ancient gods part 2, and so on and so forth

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I picked it up this week. I like what I see so far. I just wish these guys would push their graphics engine further like the old days.

QSD

What I really don't get about the new Doom games is how the Demons just look/feel so cartoonish... Doom 3 did a far better job of actually making them seem like Demons (e.g. threatening).
Story feels equally cartoonish/kiddified to me. What happened to the satanic imagery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom