• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal. Got to try it, and god it sucks!

Doom Eternal suck!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev Kev

Yeah. Terrible. /s

it looks impressive but its not fun to actually play, thats the whole point.

its tedious, overwhelming, annoying, forces you to play a very particular way and its horribly difficult on top of all that (and i was playing on the lowest difficulty). more power to you if you like all of that and stuck it out long enough to "git gud", but i am seeing this topic pop up every 2 or 3 months on gaf alone, and its always the same complaints. this isnt just a few people didnt like it scenario, this is a 50% of us hate it for perfectly valid reasons, while the other 50% like it for the same reasons those other people hate it for.

it can be both at the same time. the real story here is why the fuck they would make such a polarizing game, especially with how universally loved 2016 was? why not stick with the formula of doom 2016 when it was so succesful? perhaps they could have made some subtle changes, maybe 1 or 2 big changes, but why make so many wildly huge changes and alienate half of your fan base?

it doenst make any sense. whether you love it or hate it, the doom franchise is losing half of their fanbase (or more?) just to please the sweaty, hardcore, ultra fast, ADD players, and that is a problem.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
lol, oh yeah why stop now? keep avoiding anything even close to resembling actually addressing my points and just spout trolly bullshit. ill be over actually using my brain because im not a fucking retard
cfdf13e6ce33fa481129b63eb34d1350.jpg

Doom Eternal on Nightmare/Ultra nightmare is the opposite of slow.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
or youre just a retard and you dont know how to make a good argument, just point your finger and tell someone to git gud.

but you do you buddy... you do you.

You should git gud at being offensive. There's a myriad of reasons here and everywhere why Doom Eternal is a fantastic game. I can even link you my review if you wish but sometimes, as is the case with a forum, you can just live a little. Try not to get offended. Your opinion sucks and so does OP, so stop sucking my dude.

I finished the game and the DLC on Nightmare FYI. Git gud ya suckers.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

its tedious, overwhelming, annoying, forces you to play a very particular way and its horribly difficult on top of all that (and i was playing on the lowest difficulty). more power to you if you like all of that and stuck it out long enough to "git gud", but i am seeing this topic pop up every 2 or 3 months on gaf alone, and its always the same complaints. this isnt just a few people didnt like it scenario, this is a 50% of us hate it for perfectly valid reasons, while the other 50% like it for the same reasons those other people hate it for.

it can be both at the same time. the real story here is why the fuck they would make such a polarizing game, especially with how universally loved 2016 was? why not stick with the formula of doom 2016 when it was so succesful? perhaps they could have made some subtle changes, maybe 1 or 2 big changes, but why make so many wildly huge changes and alienate half of your fan base?

it doenst make any sense. whether you love it or hate it, the doom franchise is losing half of their fanbase (or more?) just to please the sweaty, hardcore, ultra fast, ADD players, and that is a problem.
I gotta question a few things here:

Firstly, you stated that you were playing on the lowest difficulty. Later you question what they would make such a game in light of DOOM 2016's formula. If you were so devoted to DOOM 2016, you wouldn't be playing Eternal on the easiest difficulty and call it "horribly difficult", would you?

Secondly, you state, "50% of us hate it...while the other 50% like it." This is objectively false given DOOM Eternal has a "Very Positive" rating on Steam out of 100K reviews(over 90% were Positive).

Thirdly, for your, "why make so many wildly huge changes and alienate half of your fan base?" DOOM Eternal sold over 3 million copies in launch week, 3 times that of DOOM 2016's launch month and generated nearly half a billion dollars revenue before Ancient Gods DLC released. That should answer your question.

Kev Kev

Firstly, you stated that you were playing on the lowest difficulty. Later you question what they would make such a game in light of DOOM 2016's formula. If you were so devoted to DOOM 2016, you wouldn't be playing Eternal on the easiest difficulty and call it "horribly difficult", would you?
first of all thank you for actually addressing the argument unlike the douche bag above. i dont have a lot of time so ill sayw hat i can...

i started on normal, then bumped it down to the easiest. i dont care for difficult games to begin with, so yes to me eternal is way mroe difficult, and that is no bueno for me (and it seems im not the only one, hence this topic and countless others like it)

Secondly, you state, "50% of us hate it...while the other 50% like it." This is objectively false given DOOM Eternal has a "Very Positive" rating on Steam out of 100K reviews(over 90% were Positive).

Thirdly, for your, "why make so many wildly huge changes and alienate half of your fan base?" DOOM Eternal sold over 3 million copies in launch week, 3 times that of DOOM 2016's launch month and generated nearly half a billion dollars revenue before Ancient Gods DLC released. That should answer your question.
i can put both of these points under the response of sales numbers and reviews dont always tell the whole story. plenty of games that i hate get great reviews and sell a lot. the 50% isnt necessarily accurate tho, lol im not saying it is. it could be more it could be less, i dunno. im seeing these i hate doom eternal for xyz reason popping up on gaf every few months, and the complaints are always the same thing.

doom 2016 and doom eternal are wildly different games. the need to dial it back and find a happy medium between the two, or im out, along with an ass load of other doom fans apparently.

Kev Kev

You should git gud at being offensive. There's a myriad of reasons here and everywhere why Doom Eternal is a fantastic game. I can even link you my review if you wish but sometimes, as is the case with a forum, you can just live a little. Try not to get offended. Your opinion sucks and so does OP, so stop sucking my dude.

I finished the game and the DLC on Nightmare FYI. Git gud ya suckers.
ummmm.... go fuck yourself?

lol i have no idea how to respond to such ignorance and immaturity. but again, you are just doing you, so what more should i expect?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
first of all thank you for actually addressing the argument unlike the douche bag above. i dont have a lot of time so ill sayw hat i can...

i started on normal, then bumped it down to the easiest. i dont care for difficult games to begin with, so yes to me eternal is way mroe difficult, and that is no bueno for me (and it seems im not the only one, hence this topic and countless others like it)

i can put both of these points under the response of sales numbers and reviews dont always tell the whole story. plenty of games that i hate get great reviews and sell a lot. the 50% isnt necessarily accurate tho, lol im not saying it is. it could be more it could be less, i dunno. im seeing these i hate doom eternal for xyz reason popping up on gaf every few months, and the complaints are always the same thing.

doom 2016 and doom eternal are wildly different games. the need to dial it back and find a happy medium between the two, or im out, along with an ass load of other doom fans apparently.
Doom 3 and 2016 let you aim on the Y axis. True Doom fans should shit on Doom 3, 2016, and Eternal too. To hard to aim in 2 axis.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You know those Dark Souls threads where someone picks up a game in the series, plays just the first section/area, blames the tutorial and the gameplay systems, and then uninstalls it to come onto a forum, call it trash, and seek some form of validation?

I understand now.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
ummmm.... go fuck yourself?

lol i have no idea how to respond to such ignorance and immaturity. but again, you are just doing you, so what more should i expect?

In case you haven;t figured it out, I'm just fucking with you. I don't really mean you guys suck. We all have different tastes and skills. It's fine, but I remember recommending some random dude to play the game on Nightmare and he gave it a try and it was the best decision he made. I'm not joking when I say, DOom Eternal on Nightmare is a puzzle shooter. It's the dark souls of shooter. You need to think on your feet and you need to adapt really fast. It's an amazing feeling, one we never get in a lot of fps's where you just press forward and shoot and be done with it. It's fine if you guys don;t like it, but the game is anything but shit.

dcmk7

Banned

That's impressive.

Where did you get that figure from?

Razvedka

Banned
I thought that Eternal was one of the best games made in many, many years. Unlike ID Software, I didn't mind the Doom3-esque 'serious' vibes that DOOM 2016 had but I can appreciate them wanting to go back to their roots a bit more. That said, I do prefer the story and characters more in Eternal. I felt, surprisingly, like Doom actually had lore and a real story to tell about the Slayer.

The gameplay is pure art. I played it only on Nightmare and the feeling of accomplishment when you kill a Marauder, or when you beat the game, absolutely awesome. You feel like a machine or a war god.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

That's impressive.

Where did you get that figure from?
I've read it from multiple sources, but just googled it...

https://screenrant.com/doom-eternal...ion copies,of over 100,000 concurrent players

I actually own the game. I’ve played it both ways. Simply put, this game was designed around KB/M and using a controller is practically impossible for the average gamer out there to go into the highest difficulties and expansion.
Well, lower difficulties to exist to cater to those people. If they want to play at a higher difficulty but they can't do it, well, that's on them and they need practice, haha.

Then you have Hugo that plays with a controller and makes it look pretty easy.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Well said. Either polar experience is valid.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

dcmk7

Banned

Thanks,

That says launch month not launch week.

Impressive figure none-the-less.

HF2014

You know those Dark Souls threads where someone picks up a game in the series, plays just the first section/area, blames the tutorial and the gameplay systems, and then uninstalls it to come onto a forum, call it trash, and seek some form of validation?

I understand now.
Your pushing it there. I dont need to put three hours in it to realize it doesnt hook me as Doom 2016 . Everything from the beginning from Eternal was the opposite of 2016, being Doom and being fun.

the game is definitely not fun at all
it's like working a stressful job, zero enjoyment is what I found
juggling 10 different systems just to have ammo basically, it's a joke. 2016 Doom was great, I beat it twice
I dunno how far I made it with this one, pretty far probably 10+ hours. It's just not a fun game, I never felt rewarded but more relieved that a section ends because it's such a chore to engage in combat

MiguelItUp

Thanks,

"The numbers are crazy, but not too surprising given Doom Eternal's record-breaking statistics from the start. More than 3 million copies of Doom Eternal sold within a week, which is three times higher than Doom 2016's launch month sales."

Your pushing it there. I dont need to put three hours in it to realize it doesnt hook me as Doom 2016 . Everything from the beginning from Eternal was the opposite of 2016, being Doom and being fun.
I mean, to be fair, anything more than 10/15 minutes is better. It sounds like you didn't even make it through a quarter of the first level.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

That link takes you to a page with no sales figures on.

The 3 million figure looks to be for the launch month, and it's from an analyst not from Bethesda.
giphy.gif

Well, there are plenty of analytics out there from multiple sources for you to find what suffices for you on your own time. I was just helping. :)

Doom eternal with it's 2 dlcs was the goty of last year for me , when u get in to the rythm of combat there is absolutely no game that comes even close to doom eternal
If by rhythm you mean running in big circles I agree but GOTY.. No. it was an OK game, the 1st DLC was good and the 2nd was a waste of time.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Your pushing it there. I dont need to put three hours in Sekiro to realize it doesnt hook me the same as Dark Souls. Everything from the beginning of Sekiro was the opposite of Dark Souls, being Dark Souls and being fun.

All I had to do was change a few words for you to hopefully understand.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Thanks,

They misreported. It should state 3 million digital copies sold in the first month from what I've seen on other sites reporting on the SuperData story.

The nearly half of billion dollars in revenue pre-Ancient Gods DLC is just as impressive. DOOM Eternal is a megaton of a game considering the bulk of it's content is geared towards SP.

gypsygib

I'm normally not a snob and people are free to not like a game but the complaints for every "Doom Eternal Sucks" thread I've seen just shows that the person didn't understand the gameplay.

I can relate a bit because I had moments when having to juggle flame/chainsaw/weapon switch/nade/nade switch/speed/movement/platforming and aiming was too much of a multitask but once it clicked, I discovered the gameplay was a FPS masterpiece.

ZehDon

... its tedious, overwhelming, annoying, forces you to play a very particular way and its horribly difficult on top of all that (and i was playing on the lowest difficulty). more power to you if you like all of that and stuck it out long enough to "git gud", but i am seeing this topic pop up every 2 or 3 months on gaf alone, and its always the same complaints. this isnt just a few people didnt like it scenario, this is a 50% of us hate it for perfectly valid reasons, while the other 50% like it for the same reasons those other people hate it for...
Best point in this thread.

The reasons I don't like DOOM Eternal are the reasons others do. I'll put the effort into difficult games that I still enjoy; I won't bother with games that I don't. Hence having never finished this one. Telling others to "Git Gud" doesn't make sense when they don't enjoy the game.

Greggy

No wonder it was the first GOTY contender to come from the FPS genre in years.
I expect a lot more “I hated game X made by Bethesda because the rain didn’t sound wet enough” threads on this forum as we get closer to E3.
now onto the next topic.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Doom and Doom 2 weren't deep gameplay games. You ran, you shot, you killed demos. That's what Doom 2016 is. That's not what Doom Eternal is, and it's worse for it.
Weird, for me DOOM 2016 felt more like the proper sequel to DOOM II while also referencing DOOM 3 in more ways than one. It's why I didn't like Eternal initially as it felt so 'gamey' in terms of audio and visual design.

Oh well, I love both games a ton and I'm hoping Bethesda do another one of these (or Quake?). As a boomer shooter fan I'm just glad we still get the occasional big budget offering along side the plethora of indie titles.

I'm not so interested in Eternal, just doesn't strike a chord with me and even on gamepass I'm yet to install it.

2016 I finished the campaign and loved every second of it.

GametimeUK

I feel that comparing Eternal to 2016 and being put off by the way it's direction went is valid. They play pretty differently. As a game on it's own though it's very very remarkable.

So..

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Oh of course it's valid to be disappointed in a change of direction, but OP said he didn't understand the appeal of the game. I'd argue he didn't get to the point where it clicks for most people and the appeal becomes apparent. If he didn't like the change in direction then that's fine, but that's a separate conversation.

HF2014

All I had to do was change a few words for you to hopefully understand.

Well i dont. Your comparing Doom Eternal as if it was a Souls game? Its not the difficulty that dissapoint me, it just they made it like a more, how can you say it, ´arcade ´ shooter? Playing it didnt made me feel playing a Doom game. Anyway, not here to be here to try to push you my argument, you got your side of seeing things, i got mine.

I mean, to be fair, anything more than 10/15 minutes is better. It sounds like you didn't even make it through a quarter of the first level.

If you take this video , i played till around the 50 minutes mark, which on my side was a bit around an hour. It gave me enough time to notice everything i dislike about it and made me decide to stop playing cause i was not having fun with this.

eh, more wack gamers that can't seem to do anything more than strafe and shoot. which is essentially what doom 2016 was.

you basically are saying "i can't deal with verticality, mobility, options etc, it's easier for me to play corridor shooters that let me use the same gun over and over and have none of these features"

please don't influence my games, you people make things more boring. same people that i bet like souls over bayonetta or DMC because they can't do sick shit. gotta keep it basic for these kids.

and probably playing on a gamepad.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
If you take this video , i played till around the 50 minutes mark, which on my side was a bit around an hour. It gave me enough time to notice everything i dislike about it and made me decide to stop playing cause i was not having fun with this.

It's like you just took off the training wheels, rode to the end of the sidewalk and just called it quits, with all those sweet jumps and trails right around the corner.

But hey..You don't like it, ya don't like it. It is what it is. It def. switched the formula up from 2016 and I loved it for that reason. I LOVED 2016 but if I'm honest with myself I just went around 90% of the time with the Super Shotty and just murdered everything and it was super easy as a result. It never really was a huge challenge. Eternal kinda forces your hand to learn and adapt and if you can't accept it, you'll have a miserable time trying to push back against it's systems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom