• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal. Got to try it, and god it sucks!

Doom Eternal suck!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zaanan

Banned
I dont know what the hell happen between the way Doom 2016 was made and Doom Eternal, but clearly Beth really delivered a stinker here. When i saw the trailer of it, i was a bit hesitant, really not digging the grapply hook part, thinking it was out of context of a Doom game. So decided to wait for a cheap price grab, and well, its on gamepass. For 1$ for a month, why not. Here is my chance to try it.

I played with it for about an hour. First, there is this beth account you need to sign up for the game ( turn off wifi and it bypass, not a big concern here ). Then it start. First, the shotgun sound sucks. Period. Its already a big down for me, well, because all shotgun sounds in Doom game sound just great, and this one doesnt.

Then you start playing, getting slammed by tutorials out of the gameplay, i found this pretty average. Then again, your getting the chainsaw which is now it seem the only way to replenish your ammo, so you constantly need to use it when your out of ammo. Fans of violence here will probably applaude this decision, i dont. The you get some kind of gas thing you need to throw over your enemies, im not sure i understand the meaning or fun of this part. Then to ice the cake, why not throw some Spider-Man stuff in there, climbing walls, poles and making jumps . WTF.

No, i didnt even got to the part where you need to get a grappling hook, i uninstalled this game pretty quickly. Sure there is less ´arena ´ like fights which some were complaning ( it never bother me ), but still this game feel like a more arcade on steroids Doom game than something that feel like a real Doom game.

2016 Doom is still the king! Its a shame they change direction on how well the first game was made to make this mess. Perhaps in the minority here ( it got great scores reviews ), but i just can’t understand these great reviews about it.
Doom reboot was awesome, even though I kinda hated the repeated “lock you in a room with lotsa demons” parts. For the most part, it felt awesome from the start. You could pretty much play any way you wanted to. I enjoyed it so much, I went for the plat.
Eternal feels entirely different, forcing you to play a certain way, or you’re just not gonna make it. It never felt awesome at all. I bought it, played past the tutorial a bit, then deleted it. I will revisit it at some point, but for now it’s firmly in the “not for me” category. This from a guy who has bought every Doom ever released. Hell, I enjoyed Doom 3 way more than this, and that game wore out its welcome halfway through for me.

Kev Kev

they made a game where half of the gamers who played it find it too hard or too tedious, and as a result they quit and talk shit about that game.

that is a problem

it couldn’t be more clear than that. They need to find a happy medium between those who liked it and those who didn’t. Which is basically what doom 2016 was

Justin9mm

I'm quite enjoying it, it's decent but I'm finding it pretty difficult, is this game really hard or am I just crap at it!!! Probably a bit of both
It trains you to become better the more you play it. The secret is to keep moving and use the map. Doom is what they call an arena shooter, you use the environment by moving around it to stay alive. I was so bad at first too. You can't stand around long at all to shoot an enemy, if you are missing your shots, keep moving and try again or clear some of the small fodder imps that give you ammo by chainsawing them or glory killing them then go back to the other enemies. Don't be afraid to run away around the map using your dash to help you when you are overwhelmed.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
No, you’re not alone. it’s huge step down from the perfected simplicity of 2016’s DOOM.

The ammo economy destroyed it for me. The overbearing tutorial pop ups (pause my game to teach me how to fucking SHOOT!?) and horrible story introduction that’s woefully inconsistent makes the first 30 minutes a cluster fuck of an introduction. But, fuck me - running out of ammo on every gun every few kills is some of the worst game design I’ve ever seen.

Instead of incentivising weapon diversity, the limited ammo economy punishes the player for playing the game. The more weapons you get, the more you need to juggle. More enemies means more juggling. Longer combat means more juggling. And the game piles on busy-work mechanics on top of this like they were on sale. Press this button to glory kill to get health. Press this button to glory kill to get ammo. Press this other button and then kill the enemy to get armour. The amount of sheer WORK required to play at the same efficiency as the 2016 title is an order of magnitude more.

What should have been a beautiful ballet of death and carnage became a mess of poorly thought out mechanical over-complexity. I’ve tried to get into the game multiple times, but the longer I play the worst it seems to get.

What's that I can't hear you LUL

giphy.gif

But in all seriousness though as someone who initially didn't get on with Eternal I've since grown to love it and even prefer it over the 2016 title. Sure it has some things that still irk me such as the awful menus and UI design but overall it's everything DOOM 2016 was and better. I've finished them all on Nightmare (trying to go for an Ultra-Nightmare run for Eternal) and one thing I never understood were the complaints about ammo being too scarce. There are literally walking ammo dispensers in every encounter and plenty of pick-ups to boot! I can appreciate and respect plenty of concerns regarding Eternal but all this talk of "juggling mechanics" this and that is kind of silly. I guess some really just want no depth to the gameplay whatsoever. I mean if we're purely talking actions per minute then god forbid any of you ever play stuff like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, etc.

"Sheer amount of work" required you say?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I guess my main issue is that high level play is pretty cumbersome on gamepad. Looked up some clips after completing it and was like yeah, not gonna happen lol

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The platforming ruined it for me, and I never bothered to finish it.

This is how I felt. I enjoyed DOOM despite not being a fan of shooters in general but DOOM was pretty damn fun. Then Eternal comes along while it looks like it will be a better time it just feels like a semi-serious game plopped into a weird overly gamey situation.

. . .or it could have been just too fast for my old bones.

It trains you to become better the more you play it. The secret is to keep moving and use the map. Doom is what they call an arena shooter, you use the environment by moving around it to stay alive. I was so bad at first too. You can't stand around long at all to shoot an enemy, if you are missing your shots, keep moving and try again or clear some of the small fodder imps that give you ammo by chainsawing them or glory killing them then go back to the other enemies. Don't be afraid to run away around the map using your dash to help you when you are overwhelmed.
Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty far into it, just keeping getting overwhelmed and running out of ammo.. taken a break from it now, will pick it up again soon.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The gameplay takes a while to not only get interesting, but to "click" on the first playthrough. It ends up being incredible and the movement in 2016 is just sluggish in comparison.

Yes. The first couple try's to get into Eternal felt very disconnected, if that makes sense. The many mechanics and constant tutorial interruptions didn't helps matters much. Eventually I decided to lower the difficulty and just soak in all the information and learn to play the game was designed to play. Once you more or less understand what this game is about mechanically and control wise the game opens up significantly. The fast pace and precise way of moving is just incredible. But again, mainly designed around mouse and keyboard. Said that it's completely playable on the gamepad.

I feel that comparing Eternal to 2016 and being put off by the way it's direction went is valid. They play pretty differently. As a game on it's own though it's very very remarkable.

So..

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Last edited:
I have yet to play Doom Eternal, love the 2016 game... but I bet you would have stuck it out longer if you had actually paid for the game.

Can we call this the Game Pass effect where we throw away games so quickly because they’re “free”?
Interesting take. When I had a Xbox1 (till I gave it to my cousin for their X360) I dropped games so quickly on gamepass. Felt like there was nothing there. I was like wtf is this. Felt like Netflix.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The you get some kind of gas thing you need to throw over your enemies, im not sure i understand the meaning or fun of this part.
This is 100% optional.
It don't matter. These games are made for everyone. I recently watch award one guy playing Xbox controller on PC and he is amazing
Did he turn aim assist off?

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Doom 2016 is great but lets be real it has baby mode difficulty. The siege cannon and super shotty will decimate everything with ease.

Doom Eternal at least encourages you to cycle through most of your arsenal including modifications. I appreciated that.

MiguelItUp

Doom 2016 is great but lets be real it has baby mode difficulty. The siege cannon and super shotty will decimate everything with ease.

Doom Eternal at least encourages you to cycle through most of your arsenal including modifications. I appreciated that.
Very true. Another reason why they approached the gameplay loop that I mentioned in my previous post. If someone wanted to use one weapon to beat all of 2016, they could, and with flying colors. They didn't want that to be a possibility anymore as they felt it was too easy and simplistic. They wanted something more complex, so they leaned into the "combat dance" so to speak.

Does that make Eternal hard? No. But it certainly doesn't make it as easy and mindless per se. There's more strategy involved in the combat in various ways.

K' Dash

sucking at a twitchy shooter can really hinder your enjoyment, turn down the difficulty a couple notches and try again .

I played the game in nightmare, when I was doing the last level I was burned out as fuck, cause I don't have the reflexes to play this on that difficulty, but my pride carried me to the last boss, then I spent a couple days retrying it and said "fuck this shit", put it on the easiest setting and finished it.

What did I learn? as a full time software developer, student and husband of a VERY pregnant wife, mi gaming time is limited, next time I'll just play on normal. My days of playing on the highest difficulties are over.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, this always happens with any new game in a franchise that tries something new, a lot of people don't want to adapt, lol and they say we want new IPs instead of sequals.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Thought that Eternal was alright overall but never as good as the reboot, which felt like a more action heavy Metroid Prime. Eternal went way to much towards arena shooter. Finished the main game but quit the DLC after a few hours because it ramped it up even more.

HF2014

I didn't even like Doom 2016. The only one I enjoyed was Doom 3 because they made it scary (at least at the time it was scary).

I suppose it's easy to argue that Doom 2016 onwards is technically more faithful to the original, but were the original (two) games intended to be arcade-type shooters or were they only like that because of the hardware constraints at the time?
Well, see , Doom 3 was a great looking game, it had is moment, but it end up being the worst Doom game. But would need to finish Eternal to see if i put it there instead. Your probably not in the generation who have grow up playing Doom, Doom 2 Final Doom, these game were just great , atmosphere, puzzle, and amazing shotgun sound which if you wanted you could use as often as you like, not forcing you to constantly change weapon like Eternal.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Best FPS since F.E.A.R. Game plays glorious, looks great, sounds amazing and even makes my heart go dangerously doki doki on some of those slayer gates.

I can only cry for those that got filtered for having to use a chainsaw or having to watch a few tutorial screens pop up. Like really, wtf. Go play it seriously and you'll find an incredibly fun game.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Well, see , Doom 3 was a great looking game, it had is moment, but it end up being the worst Doom game. But would need to finish Eternal to see if i put it there instead. Your probably not in the generation who have grow up playing Doom, Doom 2 Final Doom, these game were just great , atmosphere, puzzle, and amazing shotgun sound which if you wanted you could use as often as you like, not forcing you to constantly change weapon like Eternal.
OG Doom/2/FD all still hold up fairly well. Modded Brutal Doom is insanely fun still. I played through all of the OG Dooms maybe a year or two ago with the Brutal Doom mod and it was insanely fun. The map design is still fantastic to this day.

2016 was the start of the new Doom formula, Eternal was the evolution of that formula. You could literally beat 16' with one gun and not break a sweat, it was piss easy and as a result the devs wanted to force your hand in making you use other weapons. In Eternal you are both stronger and weaker than you were in 16'. The "dance" of Eternal is what makes it so pulse pounding and fun. It's not for everyone, or for those that just want a piss-easy power trip that lets you mindlessly go through a level and it's a better game for it.

agreed misha collins GIF

I played 20 minutes and I just hated it.

Wolfenstein Youngblood is also terrible... Two duds.
Don't get me wrong Wolfenstein Youngblood is not good at all, but playing 20 minutes of Doom Eternal and saying it's bad does not make it justice. Try it for a couple of hours, try the movement improvement form Doom 2016 and tell us!

Dev1lXYZ

Clearly not. The guy I am watching (jrr) kills like 20 other players each match.
And do not act like there is headshot autoaim in there.

I actually own the game. I’ve played it both ways. Simply put, this game was designed around KB/M and using a controller is practically impossible for the average gamer out there to go into the highest difficulties and expansion.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Doom Eternal isn't tough at all, it's micromanaging pings and tings of fist/chainsaw/flamethrower while you're jumping around and now having to make precision shots on every other enemy while worrying about running out of ammo if you didn't use enough of them as walking ammo dispensers. It's the opposite of what made Doom 2016 fun. Maybe the precision shots that are REQUIRED(if you don't hit the weak spots the fights drag on far too long) not just "fun bonus challenges" on say the spider baddie are easier on PC on Consoles it feels like you're being forced to do too much that a controller can't really do for you.

Also I can't believe the broke the cardinal rule of NEVER PUT JUMPING PUZZLES IN A FPS past late 1990's, it's frustrating and annoying and poorly done.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I also tried it on Gamepass, wasn't feeling it...but I didn't like Doom 2016 either. Just not my type of game I guess. Something about the overt gore and level design just left me bored and annoyed.

TonyK

As I always say, I forced myself to finish Eternal, hating the game almost 50% of my playtime. And the only reason I forced myself is because I loved Doom 2016. If they continue with this gameplay loop of cooldowns, the franchise is sadly dead for me.

Last edited:

Hustler

Interesting take. When I had a Xbox1 (till I gave it to my cousin for their X360) I dropped games so quickly on gamepass. Felt like there was nothing there. I was like wtf is this. Felt like Netflix.
Yeah I've noticed this myself, not sure how long I would've stuck with Returnal if I had it part of a games library i subscribed to. For clarification, I have Game Pass as well. Not sure if it's just me, but I play on PS5 much more than I do with Game Pass. I do jump in when I see games i'm interested in or day 1 releases, but that's about it.

raduque

I have 15 hours in Doom Eternal and I don't know why. I don't actually like it, but I resolved myself to slog through it (kind of like I did with another awful game, GTA4). I loved Doom 2016. It felt like Doom/Doom2, remastered, and it was life-changing. Doom Eternal is too much. Too much weapon juggling, too much power juggling, too much movement, too much micro-management. I was expecting more Doom 2016, just on Earth. I will probably force myself to finish it some day, just like I did with GTA4. It will not be fun.

I guess some really just want no depth to the gameplay whatsoever
Doom and Doom 2 weren't deep gameplay games. You ran, you shot, you killed demos. That's what Doom 2016 is. That's not what Doom Eternal is, and it's worse for it.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
DOOM 2016 was a modern day DOOM that DOOM 3 completely swung and missed on.

DOOM Eternal was a 1st person take on a Satanic Mario high on crack and too much mushroom consumption.

I preferred DOOM 2016 being a purest and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom