• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal. Got to try it, and god it sucks!

Doom Eternal suck!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2014

I dont know what the hell happen between the way Doom 2016 was made and Doom Eternal, but clearly Beth really delivered a stinker here. When i saw the trailer of it, i was a bit hesitant, really not digging the grapply hook part, thinking it was out of context of a Doom game. So decided to wait for a cheap price grab, and well, its on gamepass. For 1$ for a month, why not. Here is my chance to try it.

I played with it for about an hour. First, there is this beth account you need to sign up for the game ( turn off wifi and it bypass, not a big concern here ). Then it start. First, the shotgun sound sucks. Period. Its already a big down for me, well, because all shotgun sounds in Doom game sound just great, and this one doesnt.

Then you start playing, getting slammed by tutorials out of the gameplay, i found this pretty average. Then again, your getting the chainsaw which is now it seem the only way to replenish your ammo, so you constantly need to use it when your out of ammo. Fans of violence here will probably applaude this decision, i dont. The you get some kind of gas thing you need to throw over your enemies, im not sure i understand the meaning or fun of this part. Then to ice the cake, why not throw some Spider-Man stuff in there, climbing walls, poles and making jumps . WTF.

No, i didnt even got to the part where you need to get a grappling hook, i uninstalled this game pretty quickly. Sure there is less ´arena ´ like fights which some were complaning ( it never bother me ), but still this game feel like a more arcade on steroids Doom game than something that feel like a real Doom game.

2016 Doom is still the king! Its a shame they change direction on how well the first game was made to make this mess. Perhaps in the minority here ( it got great scores reviews ), but i just can’t understand these great reviews about it.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
So you don't finish the tutorial, turn the game off and say it sucks...

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Eternal plays better than 2016 in every way. It's hard to even go back to '16 because of how much better Eternal controls and more options that you have.

I enjoyed 16's story more and it was cool to learn the origins and what not, but comparatively, that's about all that I enjoyed 16 more for.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I dont know what the hell happen between the way Doom 2016 was made and Doom Eternal, but clearly Beth really delivered a stinker here. When i saw the trailer of it, i was a bit hesitant, really not digging the grapply hook part, thinking it was out of context of a Doom game. So decided to wait for a cheap price grab, and well, its on gamepass. For 1$ for a month, why not. Here is my chance to try it.

I played with it for about an hour. First, there is this beth account you need to sign up for the game ( turn off wifi and it bypass, not a big concern here ). Then it start. First, the shotgun sound sucks. Period. Its already a big down for me, well, because all shotgun sounds in Doom game sound just great, and this one doesnt.

Then you start playing, getting slammed by tutorials out of the gameplay, i found this pretty average. Then again, your getting the chainsaw which is now it seem the only way to replenish your ammo, so you constantly need to use it when your out of ammo. Fans of violence here will probably applaude this decision, i dont. The you get some kind of gas thing you need to throw over your enemies, im not sure i understand the meaning or fun of this part. Then to ice the cake, why not throw some Spider-Man stuff in there, climbing walls, poles and making jumps . WTF.

No, i didnt even got to the part where you need to get a grappling hook, i uninstalled this game pretty quickly. Sure there is less ´arena ´ like fights which some were complaning ( it never bother me ), but still this game feel like a more arcade on steroids Doom game than something that feel like a real Doom game.

2016 Doom is still the king! Its a shame they change direction on how well the first game was made to make this mess. Perhaps in the minority here ( it got great scores reviews ), but i just can’t understand these great reviews about it.
I'm a very old person, and I'm not down with the hip lingo that the kids are saying these days, but does 'suck' mean 'one of the best first person shooters ever made and GOTY 2020' if you're 20 years old? As in: 'GOD, Half Life 2 sucked.'

That's the only possible explanation I can think of for your post.

Vaelka

DOOM 2016 is better in story and arguably things like UI design, and that's about it. DOOM Eternal is superior in terms of movement and combat, hands down. I don't even hate the Marauders.

Imo story is easily the worst part about the DOOM games, it just halts the action in a really awkward way imo.
I'd honestly prefer it if there was no story and it was just non-stop action with maybe some jumping puzzles.

I tried it through gamepass too when it first came to the library. I was enjoying it but moved on to another game and never went back to it. All I remember is worrying about ammo too much when I Just wanted to shoot shit! And also a million upgrade paths for everything! It's just too much.

bender

What time is it?
I don't think either are particularly good Doom games but I don't think their bad games either. They just aren't for me which is a shame as the guns themselves feel great, I just hate all the trappings surrounding the moment to moment action.

Hustler

I have yet to play Doom Eternal, love the 2016 game... but I bet you would have stuck it out longer if you had actually paid for the game.

Can we call this the Game Pass effect where we throw away games so quickly because they’re “free”?

ZehDon

No, you’re not alone. it’s huge step down from the perfected simplicity of 2016’s DOOM.

The ammo economy destroyed it for me. The overbearing tutorial pop ups (pause my game to teach me how to fucking SHOOT!?) and horrible story introduction that’s woefully inconsistent makes the first 30 minutes a cluster fuck of an introduction. But, fuck me - running out of ammo on every gun every few kills is some of the worst game design I’ve ever seen.

Instead of incentivising weapon diversity, the limited ammo economy punishes the player for playing the game. The more weapons you get, the more you need to juggle. More enemies means more juggling. Longer combat means more juggling. And the game piles on busy-work mechanics on top of this like they were on sale. Press this button to glory kill to get health. Press this button to glory kill to get ammo. Press this other button and then kill the enemy to get armour. The amount of sheer WORK required to play at the same efficiency as the 2016 title is an order of magnitude more.

What should have been a beautiful ballet of death and carnage became a mess of poorly thought out mechanical over-complexity. I’ve tried to get into the game multiple times, but the longer I play the worst it seems to get.

HF2014

I have yet to play Doom Eternal, love the 2016 game... but I bet you would have stuck it out longer if you had actually paid for the game.

Can we call this the Game Pass effect where we throw away games so quickly because they’re “free”?

Na. If it was not on gamepass, i would have wait for a used copy for like 10-15$, because of my doubt at first of the grappling hook. I didnt even get there and just got disappointed by playing it with what i was seeing and its not the same feeling as Doom 2016. My reaction would have been to sell it quickly back. Thanks to Gamepass in a way, it only cost me a dollar. Its even worst that i tough it would be.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
What Doom game that I actually want to play needs a tutorial? In 2016, Doomguy literally swatted the tutorial machine out of his way. NOW THERES A GAME
Well, when people are complaining about lack of ammo they obviously don't understand the very basic, CORE mechanics of the game and on misunderstanding how the game is meant to be played they just....*bad game bad* turn off, me no likey.

Eternal's mechanics are better in every way, you can no longer just abuse the double barrel shotty and are forced to rotate your weapons which encourages you to learn their strength and weaknesses. It's like those that complain about lack of ammo literally only use one gun and literally just wanted 2016 again. I am glad the devs grew and evolved the formula of 16'.

I enjoyed 16's story WAY more, but Eternal just plain plays better and is more challenging in the best way. If I could retroactively add Eternal's shooting model/mechanics to 2016 I'd play that game forever. As it is, Eternal is the one I'll play when I feel like ripping and tearing.

Last edited:
The problem with Eternal is that it introduces all these new mechanics really quickly without letting the player to get used to the thing they just learned 20 minutes ago. I actually didn't start getting the combat flow until I was 3-4 hours in. After that I loved it.

Overall I like 2016 better. Eternal is a great game, it just doesn't have the elegant pace of the first game.

Excess

First, the shotgun sound sucks.
Starting off pretty persuasive here. Shotgun sounds are important.

Then you start playing, getting slammed by tutorials out of the gameplay, i found this pretty average.
I don't like "average" tutorials, either. I like high quality tutorials.

Then again, your getting the chainsaw which is now it seem the only way to replenish your ammo, so you constantly need to use it when your out of ammo. Fans of violence here will probably applaude this decision, i dont.
I agree, there's too much violence in Doom.

Then to ice the cake, why not throw some Spider-Man stuff in there, climbing walls, poles and making jumps . WTF.
I heard there'll at least be a DLC like Spider-Man where they charge you full price for the game that requires the original Doom to play.

I ended up liking Doom Eternal better than Doom 2016. I felt it was definitely a good game. From my observations, a lot of people seemingly disliked Doom Eternal. It makes me REALLY wonder if Bethesda will really be as impactful and important as people are anticipating for Microsoft in the future when it seems like so many gamers dislike a healthy portion of their more recent offerings.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

e26.jpg

Like all things, the experience is subjective. Some hated 2016, some loved it. Some hated Eternal, some loved it. I'm a hardcore DOOM fan, so I love all things DOOM to some extent, unless it's not my cup of tea whatsoever. But I haven't had that problem, yet. I wouldn't have minded "more corridors and space facilities" like Hugo said, but at the same time I respect them for wanting to do a lot more with it. Create more lore, create an actual universe, etc. Did I agree with everything in Eternal? No, I didn't. But the end result was surprisingly very well done through and through.

The game got great reviews because it excels at a large number of things.

To be quite honest, you can play a large amount of games for as long as you played Eternal and you'll probably think they suck. You're barely getting your feet wet. Much like you can watch 15 minutes of a film and say the same thing.

But, if it's also just not your thing, that's fine too. It's why opinions are a thing.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

I am in the same boat (kinda) but it's funny seeing people say ID delivered a bad game rather than our skill wasn't there.

Doom Eternal is like Pokemon of shooters. (lol) Every enemy has a counter and the number of decisions you have to take on the fly keeps ramping up as you progress preparing for even more difficult enemies.

I think I stopped at the second marauder appearance with some small enemies in a confined space. Game mechanics is EXCELLENT, it was just too hard for me.

HF2014

I ended up liking Doom Eternal better than Doom 2016. I felt it was definitely a good game. From my observations, a lot of people seemingly disliked Doom Eternal. It makes me REALLY wonder if Bethesda will really be as impactful and important as people are anticipating for Microsoft in the future when it seems like so many gamers dislike a healthy portion of their more recent offerings.

Im not too worried tbh. Doom 2016 was great, they tried a different thing with Eternal, some liked it, some didnt, pretty sure they will take note. I expect great things from Elder Scrolls, you know, climbing walls would fit it better than in Eternal! 😉.

BlackTron

Well, when people are complaining about lack of ammo they obviously don't understand the very basic, CORE mechanics of the game and on misunderstanding how the game is meant to be played they just....*bad game bad* turn off, me no likey.

Eternal's mechanics are better in every way, you can no longer just abuse the double barrel shotty and are forced to rotate your weapons which encourages you to learn their strength and weaknesses. It's like those that complain about lack of ammo literally only use one gun and literally just wanted 2016 again. I am glad the devs grew and evolved the formula of 16'.

I enjoyed 16's story WAY more, but Eternal just plain plays better and is more challenging in the best way. If I could retroactively add Eternal's shooting model/mechanics to 2016 I'd play that game forever. As it is, Eternal is the one I'll play when I feel like ripping and tearing.

I didn't like the game, but it wasn't because of ammo. There were athousand little things that added up and turned me off of the game. Actually, the fact that the shotgun sound is weak and I can't melee lowest tier enemies to kill, alone make it a kinda shitty DOOM lol. I didn't care for the heavier focus on platforming and thought it just badly interrupted the flow (kind of like Sonic Unleashed when you turned it on for some face paced action and then had to deal with all the werehog crap.) I mean I get the ammo complaint but it's hardly an issue to me compared to my many other annoyances with it.

Corgi1985

Banned
The floating neon green 1ups, the floating question marks, weapon pickups being glowing icons instead of parts of the background absolutely kill any atmosphere the game is trying to provide. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking. The purple goo and tentacles absolutely do not belong in this fucking game either. Also, what was with the crash bandicoot platforming garbage?

Wolfenstein the new colossus, doom eternal, wolfenstein young blood. Like Yamcha, it's all downhill from here.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

giphy.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't like it either. I finished it but wtf. Too many systems, too much platforming, totally wrong story and atmosphere.
I really liked how 2016 was gritty and simple.
Also. Neither 2016 and especially eternal have doom combat result. Doom was always a bit slower combat puzzle. Like halo.
But 2016 managed to be great in it's own way and eternal overdone it. It is extremely repetitive with the systems use. There is no 10 seconds you don't have to use chainsaw or glory kill etc etc.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game is meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard. If you are playing with a controller, chances are you’ll never be able to finish it on higher difficulties. I know some people out there have done it, but it’s a huge handicap.
It don't matter. These games are made for everyone. I recently watch award one guy playing Xbox controller on PC and he is amazing

The game is meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard. If you are playing with a controller, chances are you’ll never be able to finish it on higher difficulties. I know some people out there have done it, but it’s a huge handicap.
I finished it on the level below nightmare, it's not that hard on console.

Do all of you guys that keep running out of ammo spend half your time shooting your own feet or something?

I love Doom 2016 and Eternal.
Eternal is D2016 high on cocaine with plat forming which imo break the madness in a nice way and I didn't find it frustrating at all.

Only things I don't like about the game are Marauders and the final boss.

Eternal is such a blast and an adrenaline rush. Also it's good training for my brains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom