• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Director Opens Up About A Possible Female Slayer

YuLY

but Half Life is also about Morgan Freeman, the mute hero (which bears the name of a famous black actor for some reason)
wha? its Gordon Freeman...

Like others have mentioned already, Doom 2016 was the peak. Then they made a Dark Souls FPS and now it looks like its gonna get pandering.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
just give Lucy her own game, body positivity tokens, just make a couple changes in her gender, back story and hair color, SJW will run and buy the game as they usually do when devs cater to them :messenger_winking:

p_lucy.jpg

I would actually appreciate a game starring her. Could be pretty badass.

GamingKaiju

I’m not that bothered buttt the Slayer is ripped to fuck his bicep alone has 10 Dwayne Johnson’s in it so she going have to hit that gym hard I mean how else are you going to rip and tear until it is done.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I’m not that bothered buttt the Slayer is ripped to fuck his bicep alone has 10 Dwayne Johnson’s in it so she going have to hit that gym hard I mean how else are you going to rip and tear until it is done.
Magic. Or Tech. Or anything, really.

It's pretty clear the Doom Slayer is not entirely human (at least not anymore) as no human could do what he can - no matter how much you hit the gym.
As such, it sounds reasonable that any person fueled by enough rage and hatred could receive whatever kind of "treatment" he had with similar results.

angry season 1 GIF by American Gods

Sony

Nintendo
Doom guy is a mostly silent protagonist so a Doom girl will require the minimum amount of effort to implement (mostly just models). So no, I don't mind.

regawdless

Banned
As long as they do it in a "believable" way - meaning some explanation that she is inhuman, some powerful mythical being - sure, go for it.

Don't know what how they could add something of value though. Only a skin swap? Doom Guy is like the most masculine thing in existence. If we only switch the skin and the voice while everything else remains the same, what would be the purpose?

That said, personally I would be cool with a female Doom Slayer. Make her personality fun and crazy, convey it with nice animations and actions from time to time, I'm in.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This doesn't matter at all really unless they change the slayer completely. Doom guy doesn't have much of a personality and doesn't speak. So what's the point of changing the gender? Nothing would be gained.

Like others have mentioned already, Doom 2016 was the peak. Then they made a Dark Souls FPS and now it looks like its gonna get pandering.
I agree with that, I played Eternal for around half an hour and dropped it... I get it, the game looks good, but the whole mechanic that forces you to play a certain manner to get the ammo just killed it for me.

Kholinar

Banned
Maybe...Doom Slayer's face on the UI on the original Doom games?
ss_c8f0c20768412066cd1e182705b14d26acc4beb0.1920x1080.jpg
Mate, it could be a fucking pretzel and it still wouldn't affect the game in any meaningful way. These games aren't narratively-inclined; DOOM is purely about an armored individual killing demons at its core. A female Slayer is basically a cosmetic change (and maybe a slight moveset change) and that's it.

It's not like changing Master Chief's gender who's already an established character with iconic history and lore. It's the friggin' Doom Slayer. No one gives a damn about the lore in DOOM games.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Maybe...Doom Slayer's face on the UI on the original Doom games?
ss_c8f0c20768412066cd1e182705b14d26acc4beb0.1920x1080.jpg
The argument was that nothing hinges on the gender. The way an animated portrait looks is pretty irrelevant to the gameplay of Doom.

See?

Last edited:

royox

Mate, it could be a fucking pretzel and it still wouldn't affect the game in any meaningful way. These games aren't narratively-inclined; DOOM is purely about an armored individual killing demons at its core. A female Slayer is basically a cosmetic change (and maybe a slight moveset change) and that's it.

It's not like changing Master Chief's gender who's already an established character with iconic history and lore. It's the friggin' Doom Slayer. No one gives a damn about the lore in DOOM games.
I read your post as "nothing implies doom slayer is a guy"...well...we know it's a guy...or a trans man at least lol

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Imagine being an adult who cares about this.
I mean, that kind of point is moot when several people are actively discussing the topic on a video game related forum...

As long as its Major im sold.
Not like im attached to doomslayer anyway
03bRrym.jpg
I appreciate you bringing Major up, haha. I totally forgot about her and would be down for this. I just always thought Crash made the most sense as she physically resembled a DOOM marine.

Like I've said before, I just want the worlds/universe to merge as much as possible. Let's go!

Those of you concerned about Slayer being replaced or disappearing, shouldn't be. There's absolutely no way he'd just disappear, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom