• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Director Opens Up About A Possible Female Slayer

FluffShake

Female Slayer huh. Let me tell you about a game called Hedon..

vkS0L8O.png

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
do people really care? think Gina Carano murdering her way through a space station... i see no problems, its not like they'll have some big tittied waif ffs

Kuranghi

I think the original games have always showed a guys face at the bottom next to the health bar. I do NOT like my doom guy to talk but they did have a little face that got damaged in the OG doom games.

Of course! You're right, I haven't played the OG games much so totally forgot. I could almost still disasociate that with the character anyway tbh, its more just a guide for damage.

In this case i don't think it's a big deal. If some chick wants to play as a female while they slay demons that's fine by me. Hopefully we get the choice to choose male or female though. But if they choose to make a whole separate game where it's just a female, that would suck for people who just like to play as male, and that means we have to wait longer for more doom.

jonnyXx

Not sure how I feel about it personally. On the one hand I think that it would be awesome to have multiple characters that provide a different but similar gameplay experience. Kind of like Dante & Vergil in the DMC games. On the other hand I feel like it would take away from the Slayer and he would feel less special/unique if there is another character similar to him.

But if the idea is to replace the Slayer then hell no.

Anger about female playable characters in general or certain games?
That's the part it's hard to be sure of, if it was about putting in female characters I assume most would be OK for it, but the arguments are actually going the other way around, maligning "cis white males", whiteness, etc. It actually gets in the way of conversation on the topic.
Doom seem like a good fit. You don’t always wanna do a new IP for a female protaganist. Or ar at least if this becomes common it would be bad.
The character is pretty generic to begin with.
Like Half Life 3 could have a female protagonist shooting but Zelda might be bad.
Alix is pretty bad ass to begin with, we could play a part of the game from her perspective, but Half Life is also about Morgan Freeman, the mute hero (which bears the name of a famous black actor for some reason)... However they have made DLC with other protagonists (Blue Shift I believe).

Either way, I'm not against swapping genders, gender neutrality, etc. It's the people going out of their way to use gender/ethnic background etc. as wedge issues to essentially control culture and those who benefit from it.

There are tons of sexually ambiguous characters in past entertainment, take a look at what we have from the 70s, it was pretty amazing back then, and it would still be if it was not so politicized these days. A movie like Rocky would never have existed in the current period without the producers or someone in the decision chain saying, hey this guy is pretty poor we should make him black, maybe even trans. Also, he should not be beating up a black guy that would be beating side ways, he should be punching up. Plus make Rocky have a car accident before the fight so he can fight the other guy from a wheel chair, show his struggle against the promoters to make the ring accessible for all people. Then he wins against all odds! Now that would be a message I could get behind. Oh I forgot, instead of being a looser who hangs out at the gym never realizing his potential as an athlete he should hang out at the gay bar and just be good at fighting because he has to fight all these cops all the time he gets in or out of this place.

That's a message I could get behind!

sn0man

I know you're making a joke but don't get me wrong, I don't want a woke Doomgal either. I simply trust that if Hugo is going to add a female Doom Slayer to battle alongside the male, then he'd want her to be leveraging the strengths of a fictional female character, which have typically centered around mobility.

I don't know about it being a new hard mode, just a new, second character that plays differently enough from Doom Slayer to make it an interesting experience.
My point was in the case of doom and post-2016 I think fear of ruining the series is ridiculous. I think many folks just get too sensitive about adding women or PoC to games.

Regardless, adding new gameplay could be a great addition. I was thinking the glory kills could all be redone for each gender so you could replay the game as the other gender and the kills would be fun to see how they do them differently.
Yeah, good luck lifting a BFG or even using a chainsaw properly. ;)
Yes. This series is a deep simulation.

B70RTdi.jpg

Not sure how I feel about it personally. On the one hand I think that it would be awesome to have multiple characters that provide a different but similar gameplay experience. Kind of like Dante & Vergil in the DMC games. On the other hand I feel like it would take away from the Slayer and he would feel less special/unique if there is another character similar to him.

But if the idea is to replace the Slayer then hell no.

The loner aesthetic being ruined is true. I don’t want dialogue between them. It’s just a simple pick a character and go thing. They could pull a funny joke and change the planet from Mars to Venus but otherwise make the games the exact same in lore/story. Just a tiny, “we get it we’re doing a gender thing.”

Maybe one other kinda cute change. Instead of collecting plushie doom dolls it could be little tiny doom weapon keychains for doom gal but they need to not fall for the temptation to have speech about it.

sn0man

Of course! You're right, I haven't played the OG games much so totally forgot. I could almost still disasociate that with the character anyway tbh, its more just a guide for damage.
Yeah when I heard they were bringing back doom 2016 I thought it would be cool if they did had a little smartphone app that took your picture and made a personalized OG doom head and showed it get angry and take damage like the game did. Just like all kinds of young black guy, random white grandma, everyone just having a fun little doomified version of their head as a dumb smartphone app.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Mythbusters did a cache and carry episode for DOOM. It's a classic...

Too long, didn't watch:
Results were that Adam and Jaime were totally bogged down by the weapons, but the 6'4" 245lbs Slayer stand-in beat even their control times(1 weapon at a time). Conclusion: The Slayer's size and strength makes a scientific difference in his killing performance.

Last edited:

TheContact

a female doom lead would be fucking great. hey elektro u can just boycott doom games if you're so upset, that's your right. maybe also boycott horizon zero dawn, half life alyx, metroid, tomb raider, bayonetta, celeste, mirror's edge, etc... gotta be consistent with your beliefs

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
a female doom lead would be fucking great. hey elektro u can just boycott doom games if you're so upset, that's your right. maybe also boycott horizon zero dawn, half life alyx, metroid, tomb raider, bayonetta, celeste, mirror's edge, etc... gotta be consistent with your beliefs
Do you seriously struggle to see the difference between creating new IP's with female characters and changing the existing male characters to make them female? Just because someone is against making the doom guy female doesn't mean they're automatically against female protagonists in video games.

TheContact

Do you seriously struggle to see the difference between creating new IP's with female characters and changing the existing male characters to make them female? Just because someone is against making the doom guy female doesn't mean they're automatically against female protagonists in video games.

i see the difference, i just don't see why introducing a new character with an opposite gender into an existing IP matters. uncharted, AC, resident evil, half life, silent hill all did this. a female doom slayer would be awesome and i have a hard time understanding why anyone would be upset about this

Since you mentioned Bayonetta. That's one of my fav games. I'd hate to play as a male character in Bayo. Cereza just simply fits in the story and is an awesome character. Same thing with Doom. Don't change what ain't broken.

My point was in the case of doom and post-2016 I think fear of ruining the series is ridiculous. I think many folks just get too sensitive about adding women or PoC to games.

Regardless, adding new gameplay could be a great addition. I was thinking the glory kills could all be redone for each gender so you could replay the game as the other gender and the kills would be fun to see how they do them differently.
Yea, "sensitive" is a fairly suitable word for this phenomenon though I think it's limited to a vocal few as opposed to "many folks".

Anyway, I'm sure Hugo had quite a few ideas but implementing them and doing justice to both Doomguy and gal was not working out.

And while I'd expect the glory kills to be newly choreographed and animated for her, I'd like it if they functioned differently from a gameplay perspective too.

Excess

Public Relations Team: Any publicity, whether it's negative or positive, is good publicity.
Human Relations Team: We want to avoid any potential litigation by our female employees when they feel the need to retaliate for the slightest workplace infraction.
Marketing Team: We're expanding market share by appealing to the next largest demographic.
C-Suite: All of the above will increase profit.

Anyone else, please feel free to add any departments I've left out.

EDMIX

Cool let me know the first DOOM game where your gender plays a role in the story and that will be the one I skip.

You could have told me reboot Doomslayer was a female this whole time and that would be fine. That's true equality, is it not? The gender hasn't come up until this point, why even start now?

See this is where I jump off. Just give me a game about shooting demons. Now it has to "impact the gameplay in a way that was meaningful". What does that mean? Do I reload weapons slower as a woman? Are demons now attuned to my period blood?

That's the problem, they can't just plug in a woman, they have to "make a statement". It can't just be a woman doing the Doomslayer things (which would be fine). It has to be an opportunity to virtue signal and cram some cringy male feminist shit into the gameplay and story. So now a simple game with a simple story that was just "blank avatar shoots demons" is going to have to feature gender stuff. DOOM is supposed to be fun b-movie trash. This would be like getting a lecture on economics from your soft drink.

Thank you. I never understand this stupid bullshit of "impact the gameplay". Nahhhhhh, fuck it, its just a damn game. The Doom character being a GUY doesn't even have much of any impact on gameplay to such a degree where someone NEEDS it to be a guy to understand the game or something. You shoot stuff, kill demons. That isn't some idea only locked on to 1 race or gender or anything weird like that and if they want to change the character, the don't need some "meaningful" shit in the game. I recall disagreeing with someone in my film class years ago when they argued for African Americans to have more meaningful roles, their heart was in the right place and I don't think they meant it in a mean spirted way or anything like that, as a Black male I had to let them know. Denzel Washington played one of the sickest bad guys of all time in Training Day, not a doctor, not a lawyer, but a corrupt murdering cop. Equality doesn't mean only make roles for those characters in um "meaningful ways" or "it must impact" blah blah blah, it means allow the same fucking freedom for ANY FUCKING RACE OR GENDER to play the role.

Thats it.

You don't have some backstory on Doom guys dick or his love of being a man or his life and how being a man has made his life or anything dumb like that, give that same freedom to a female. As a black male, understand you are not giving some complement by making it seem as if for someone who looks like me to get a role in a show, it MUST be "meaningful" and I must play doctor or lawyer or some shit. I'm saying right now, as a minority....we simply want the SAME freedoms. That means if the character is a black guy, no he doesn't need to give some backstory on being black in the hood or his blackness or anything odd like that, same with any female or any race or gender. The gaming community is literally asking for something they don't even ask for the characters that are even fucking being replaced.

Imagine.....they are asking for "impact the gameplay in a way that was meaningful" yet not asking that of the actual fucking character in DOOM RIGHT NOW. It doesn't matter in Doom right now, it should NEVER matter in Doom in the future if the role is a girl.

If this was Life Is Strange 3, then sure I'd agree to that as the game is about characters, narrative, story etc, but keep the same energy regarding each project, people need to relax on trying to give all theses dumb requirements on if its a girl, minority etc. If it didn't matter in the game prior, allow for it not to matter if the character changes. No messaging in the game exist regarding Doom Guy gender, none should be needed if they make it Doom Girl.

Equality also means allowing Doom Girl to exist without any deep "meaningful" explanation in regards to her gender. Did we get one for Doom Guy?

Butch_0451

Change is only good when it trumps it’s predecessor. What bothers me is not so much the use of a female character that you’d only occasionally see during cutscenes with some subtle gameplay tweaks here and there but that devs refuse to understand who their market is. On the subject of Doom I just don’t see how that change would add much value if anything it might even alienate the fan base.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Sure, but why not just make a new game/franchise? If they're all so confident about games with female leads, why do they keep shoving them into existing franchises? Are they afraid people wouldn't buy them otherwise?

Ironbunny

Whatever, remember Marvel?

Is that real? :messenger_frowning_ Havent really followed comic's but man those are some twigs compared to the 90's comics. Hopefully Colossus is still the same. Atleast he was somewhat intact in Deadpool 2.

YES! She's the one!

I would love this. It would piss off the sjw's like a mad cow disease while appeasing some of the original doom fans. Just keep her current (thick) form and add some demon steroids.

Last edited:

SSfox

Some western devs are in lack of gameplay innovations and ideas, so much that the only thing they can think about is stuff like: "gendre switch", "what about more inclusivity?" or other nonsense.

RDR1 and 2 are some of my fav games of all time. Please rockstar don't follow those clowns.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I'd welcome a second playable character in the Doom franchise.
There's no reason at all a main character in the series couldn't be female - it's a very blank slate character anyway, so they can basically do whatever background they want.

As long as they don't do some dumb genderswap ala "Oke doomguy has boobs now lulz!", but properly introduce her, I'd be all for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom