• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Director Opens Up About A Possible Female Slayer

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
tenor.gif

“I’ve thought about it,” he said, when asked about the possibility of a female Slayer. “I think if we did it, I’d want it to be lethal. I think it’s interesting how it would impact the Glory Kills and the weapons that she would have. The fighting style [would] certainly [be] all aggression, absolutely, but a different type of aggression.

“I would really strive to have it impact the gameplay in a way that was meaningful. I’ve definitely put a lot of thought into that, actually!”

He added: “Tonally, when it comes to designing the action, you think about, ‘if The Slayer is a Ferrari, then what would a female Slayer be? What would a Medieval slayer be?’ How would that effect things and what sort of analogies would you draw from that to allow it to influence the experience? It definitely would be cool.”

Kimahri

Banned
https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/0...ector-opens-up-about-a-possible-female-slayer

Oh god no. More forced female lead characters, gender equality, sjw and feminism bullshit. I really hope this doesn't become true. Fuck female doom guy, or doom girl. Why change something that ain't bad and broken?
What do you think? Would you like to see a female lead in Doom?
Why? Because there is an entire generation of people who've boiled their brains into thinking you can't relate to something and have a rewarding experience unless you can directly project yourself into whoever you're playing.

That is why. And game devs, movie makers, writers, everyone and their aunts are catering to this asinine delusional idea.

MiguelItUp

Considering the characters that existed in Quake 2 and Quake 3, this doesn't sound "radical" to me by any means. I think the knee jerk reaction regarding gender equality, feminism, and SJW isn't completely just here. I mean, we've had characters like Athena, Crash, and a ton more. So, in the DOOM universe the idea of a female Slayer may sound "ridiculous" to some, but I could certainly see it make sense. It just all depends on how it pans out. I think it's important to wait and see before blowing a gasket.

Plus, with Hugo being a Father, I could understand him playing with the idea. Especially when his daughter plays quite a few games. She might've just made a comment regarding it and he was like, "Hmm, maybe..."

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm older? But I can see situations that come off as pandering to whatever is hot in society or the media. But I can also see situations that just don't seem that way, and for whatever reason this "potential" possibility doesn't whatsoever.

Hell, I think it'd be pretty cool to see Crash return in some form. Especially since she was the only other DOOM looking marine (that wasn't just reskinned) that we've seen.

Edit: Just wanted to add with the fan service we've seen in both DOOM games, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw what I mentioned above. Especially with how the lore has been panning out. It'd just merge the DOOM and Quake universes even more so.

Last edited:
Cool let me know the first DOOM game where your gender plays a role in the story and that will be the one I skip.

You could have told me reboot Doomslayer was a female this whole time and that would be fine. That's true equality, is it not? The gender hasn't come up until this point, why even start now?

“I would really strive to have it impact the gameplay in a way that was meaningful. I’ve definitely put a lot of thought into that, actually!”

See this is where I jump off. Just give me a game about shooting demons. Now it has to "impact the gameplay in a way that was meaningful". What does that mean? Do I reload weapons slower as a woman? Are demons now attuned to my period blood?

That's the problem, they can't just plug in a woman, they have to "make a statement". It can't just be a woman doing the Doomslayer things (which would be fine). It has to be an opportunity to virtue signal and cram some cringy male feminist shit into the gameplay and story. So now a simple game with a simple story that was just "blank avatar shoots demons" is going to have to feature gender stuff. DOOM is supposed to be fun b-movie trash. This would be like getting a lecture on economics from your soft drink.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
See this is where I jump off. Just give me a game about shooting demons. Now it has to "impact the gameplay in a way that was meaningful". What does that mean? Do I reload weapons slower as a woman? Are demons now attuned to my period blood?

That's the problem, they can just plug in a woman, they have to "make a statement". It can't just be a woman doing the Doomslayer things (which would be fine). It has to be an opportunity to virtue signal and cram some cringy male feminist shit into the gameplay and story. So now a simple game with a simple story that was just "blank avatar shoots demons" is going to have to feature gender stuff.
What if the impact was just her talking off her helmet at the end like Samus in Metroid Prime?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
She'd be a strong, independent single mom who slays the (s)imps with her double-barrel OnlyFans, and takes on the man(cubbus) in family court with quad-damage divorce attorney. Satan didn't think it was funny when he lost custody of Damien and had to pay support.

P.S.- Forgot, she's wearing badly applied makeup the whole time and showing part of her midriff while jamming to Toxic by Britney.

mansoor1980

She'd be a strong, independent single mom who slays the (s)imps with her double-barrel OnlyFans, and takes on the man(cubbus) in family court with quad-damage divorce attorney. Satan didn't think it was funny when he lost custody of Damien and had to pay support.

P.S.- Forgot, she's wearing badly applied makeup the whole time and showing part of her midriff while jamming to Toxic by Britney.
dude , thats funny

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hell yeah. I hope she's better at everything than Doom Guy, humiliates him completely in a cutscene, and then the ending reveals that she's a proud trans woman and you're a bigot for paying attention to that.

UnNamed

Banned
For me this debate Doom toxic masculinity VS Female Doom by SWJ, REEs, agendas are on the same level of shit.

But at the same time, Doom with a woman is not Doom anymore. Just make another FPS with a female protagonist instead.

Atrus

Gold Member
If people want to play as one, just mod one in. There aren't as many people who want to play as a hypermasculine female character as much as there are with hypermasculine male characters and we can see that by the relative popularity of masculinized female bodybuilders to everything else.

For something like this you can easily judge the true demand by the relative popularity of a mod.

There is only one Doom Guy/Slayer but if a game developer wants to cater to a particular fetish then that's always their right to. It's how we get blockbusters like Ghostbusters 2016 and Oceans 8.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It would be fine so long as it's a muthe character like Doom Guy and not some cringe one-liner spilling machine.

Btw any news on Ancient Gods Part II? I want to play the DLC when both parts are available, but the waiting is killing me.
Honestly as an "old man" that grew up adoring "boomer shooters", all I want is more Quake and DOOM in my life. I love both and just want an endless flow. I miss my arena shooters, especially the multiplayer. As stupid as some may think the new lore has been, I welcome it, haha. Merge the worlds! Give me more!

So, last I heard on Hugo's Eternal stream he mentioned that things were going really well. Said that they're still in the ironing out/testing stage. But that's really about it. I'm hoping we get new details sooner than later.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Doom 2016 already ruined the main character. Doom Slayer is a shitty name and he now looks like a generic space marine. I couldn't care less about what they do as anything would be more interesting than what we have currently have.
Well, he was the original generic space marine, so I don't know how you think he should look like.

Doom.jpg

Honestly as an "old man" that grew up adoring "boomer shooters", all I want is more Quake and DOOM in my life. I love both and just want an endless flow. I miss my arena shooters, especially the multiplayer. As stupid as some may think the new lore has been, I welcome it, haha. Merge the worlds! Give me more!

So, last I heard on Hugo's Eternal stream he mentioned that things were going really well. Said that they're still in the ironing out/testing stage. But that's really about it. I'm hoping we get new details sooner than later.
Well at least we have great new games like DUSK, Prodeus and many others, but for me coming back to blasting Revenants with the Plasma Rifle was just perfect, can't get enough of it.

Glad to read that tho! Hope it comes out soon. All I've "seen" of the DLC was the new OST and that already made me hyped as hell to play it.

MiguelItUp

Don't give a shit about NuDoom.

Had much more fun with games like Dusk, Amid Evil, Ion Fury...
Not to derail, but I think what "NuDoom" has done in the realm of AAA is a great thing. The throwback gameplay, as well as Eternal's approach and overall sales.

Those were some phenomenal games. Regardless of what happens, I'm beyond happy that the gameplay I miss and want more of is still alive and well in the indie realm.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I don’t really see that as an sjw thing as long as it’s a different character. It’s not like they’re putting women into the front lines as a British or American soldier during WW2 or anything.

But perhaps I’m too detached from the franchise to give an informed opinion. I’ve only ever played 2016 and didn’t like it at all (just like the latest Wolfenstein games).

That's the problem, they can't just plug in a woman, they have to "make a statement". It can't just be a woman doing the Doomslayer things (which would be fine). It has to be an opportunity to virtue signal and cram some cringy male feminist shit into the gameplay and story. So now a simple game with a simple story that was just "blank avatar shoots demons" is going to have to feature gender stuff. DOOM is supposed to be fun b-movie trash. This would be like getting a lecture on economics from your soft drink.
Your entire post is so offbase that you should reread it one week later and ask yourself what you were thinking.

Here's Hugo's quote again (emphasis mine):
Can he not be referring to making her more agile, having a double jump, faster sprints, dashes and grapples?

And you realize such changes most likely need a retooling of the level design which might be why she's not in Eternal to begin with?

Where on earth are you getting the idea that Hugo is going woke?

Top Bottom