• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM ETERNAL can do 1000 fps if your hardware can do it

Just watched the vid and they say that the animations and particles max out at 60hz. Is it even possible to have the animations and particles sync with the fps or would that need to be done in intervals if at all? Are there any games that have animations beyond 60hz?

Just watched the vid and they say that the animations and particles max out at 60hz. Is it even possible to have the animations and particles sync with the fps or would that need to be done in intervals if at all? Are there any games that have animations beyond 60hz?
Tetris. Ok I'm joking, but that's a great question in all honesty, as most animations are limited to 30 or 60fps.

Romulus

Lmfaaaaaaaaaaaaaaao, why would the pc version look worse than the PC VERSION THAT CREATED ALL THE TEXTURES, ASSETS, EFFECTS, for the xbsx PORT?! Please explain that. Especially when lockheart exists? Please quote me on this.

:)

Oh, so you're saying my 1060 laptop will better than the 12TF console version, just because its the PC version? I also have a 2070 super, maybe I'm good there.

Lockheart? Where is the confirmation there? You're an insider?

I love that I said "I doubt many PCs" and the pitchforks came out as it I confirmed it. Most PCs are 1060 equivalent, which isn't even close.

Banned
I want to see a game running at 240 Hz. Never seen anything over 60 in all honesty.

if you play something at 144fps at first you will probably be like "oohhh that looks nice but it's not that much of a difference to 60"

then when you played for like 10min and go back to 60fps (by locking the framerate for example) it will actually be jarring for a few minutes. it will look super choppy to you for a while.

but it has the biggest impact in input latency more so than only visuals.
your inputs on a low latency 144hz monitor will feel absolutely instant compared to 60hz/fps
so 60fps will also feel very delayed for a few minutes when you played at 144fps for a while.

:)

Oh, so you're saying my 1060 laptop will better than the 12TF console version, just because its the PC version? I also have a 2070 super, maybe I'm good there.

Lockheart? Where is the confirmation there? You're an insider?

I love that I said "I doubt many PCs" and the pitchforks came out as it I confirmed it. Most PCs are 1060 equivalent, which isn't even close.
So let's go that route. The 1060 is still more powerful than xb1x. Let me ask you this, how many people, CURRENTLY, have a xbsx in their living room, kitchen, bedroom, etc? Pc's can be upgradeable, just like how people go from ps4 to the ps5 or xb1/xb1x to xbsx.

pitchfork-tool-vector-illustration-260nw-221461783.jpg

Romulus

So let's go that route. The 1060 is still more powerful than xb1x. Let me ask you this, how many people, CURRENTLY, have a xbsx in their living room, kitchen, bedroom, etc? Pc's can be upgradeable, just like how people go from ps4 to the ps5 or xb1/xb1x to xbsx.

What are you talking about? We were talking about visuals automatically looking better because they're on PC, then you pivot to your living room and kitchen? huh?

Last edited:
What are you talking about? We were talking about visuals automatically looking better because they're on PC, then you pivot to your living room and kitchen? huh?
He's talking about upgrading components. Let's say for the argument's sake that the new consoles have better visuals. He gets a new gpu, puts it in his pc and bam.
With pc's there's no limit. Devs can make the games as demanding as they want, there's always the possibility of upgrading. And you don't get that with consoles.

Romulus

I was talking about how the 1060 has better visuals than all current gen consoles.... And how just like people get new consoles, people can also upgrade their pc.

That's fine, and you're deflecting away from the point. Another point is the overwhelming majority of people are still running lower end cards. Sure, the possibility is there, you can build a $75k supercomputer if you really wanted to, but how many do? Not many at all. But why do games look better on PC because they're developed on PC? Never heard that before. My 1060ti isn't going to look better than a 12TF console. That's what I'm asking.

Last edited:
That's fine, and you're deflecting away from the point. Another point is the overwhelming majority of people are still running lower end cards. Sure, the possibility is there, you can build a $75k supercomputer if you really wanted to, but how many do? Not many at all. But why do games look better on PC because they're developed on PC? Never heard that before. My 1060ti isn't going to look better than a 12TF console. That's what I'm asking.
Will your Xbox 1 or 1x look better than the series X? That is the logic you are using, so I'll ask you that. And let me tell you a little secret about pc gamers. We don't care what the next man or woman builds. I can play games with someone running on potato hardware, and I can play with someone who is running a fucking super computer. I can be anywhere in between that spectrum, and I'll get a good experience catered to the hardware I can afford. There are people who haven't upgraded their computer in over 8 years, but can still play the latest games, albeit not at max settings of course, but they are fine with it. That's the beauty of pc gaming. We aren't FORCED to a single configuration only.

Consoles don't have that luxury. You are forced to not only upgrade to the latest platform, but you also are forced to get a single configuration. So that means enthusiasts or even power users, have no option but to get the lowest common denominator, which is a single hardware configuration. At most you can pick a different color option for a limited time only, or have a different color controller.

With that being said, my point is, who cares if someone doesn't want to spend the money on a 9900k and 2080 ti? Not every pc owner needs or wants that. Again, that's the beauty about pc gaming. YOU control every aspect of your experience. From the mouse, keyboard, audio, monitor, cpu, gpu, etc. If i want to have RGB, I can. If i don't, I don't. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Romulus

Will your Xbox 1 or 1x look better than the series X? That is the logic you are using, so I'll ask you that. And let me tell you a little secret about pc gamers. We don't care what the next man or woman builds. I can play games with someone running on potato hardware, and I can play with someone who is running a fucking super computer. I can be anywhere in between that spectrum, and I'll get a good experience catered to the hardware I can afford. There are people who haven't upgraded their computer in over 8 years, but can still play the latest games, albeit not at max settings of course, but they are fine with it. That's the beauty of pc gaming. We aren't FORCED to a single configuration only.

Consoles don't have that luxury. You are forced to not only upgrade to the latest platform, but you also are forced to get a single configuration. So that means enthusiasts or even power users, have no option but to get the lowest common denominator, which is a single hardware configuration. At most you can pick a different color option for a limited time only, or have a different color controller.

With that being said, my point is, who cares if someone doesn't want to spend the money on a 9900k and 2080 ti? Not every pc owner needs or wants that. Again, that's the beauty about pc gaming. YOU control every aspect of your experience. From the mouse, keyboard, audio, monitor, cpu, gpu, etc. If i want to have RGB, I can. If i don't, I don't. Hope that makes sense.

You claimed PC games look good because they're developed on PC, explain that. Still waiting for you to address what started the conversation. Now you're talking about setting configurations.

Most pc users running doom eternal won't look as good as the XSX version. It's just the way it is. I have a 1060 and a 2070 and I know that.

Last edited:
You claimed PC games look good because they're developed on PC, explain that. Still waiting for you to address what started the conversation. Now you're talking about setting configurations.

Most pc users running doom eternal won't look as good as the XSX version. It's just the way it is. I have a 1060 and a 2070 and I know that.
But who cares what MOST pc gamers have for their hardware? I have a high end desktop with one of, if not the best RTX 2080 Ti varients out there. Do I care what my other buddies on discord have? No, all I care about is that we can play all the games together, no matter if they spent 500 bucks or if they spent 3k on their computer.

And how can a game developed on a pc, look better than the pc's that they are created on? What kinda logic is that? Movie studio animators aren't running consumer level cpu/gpu's... Can i render a Pixar film on my desktop? Yes, but it would take years compared to the render farms they have. How can a console like the series x, beat computers with card's that have much higher tdp, no power limitations, better cooling, boost clocks, etc? If there series x can't even beat the 2080 TI, according to TERRORFLOPS, what makes you think the xbsx will suddenly beat current or even next gen gpu's?

Let's just take a scenario where the next gen consoles get some magical fairy dust, and somehow, beat every pc in existence. Let's just go with that hypothetical statement, cause we all know it's not true. But if this were the case, do you not think Nvidia and AMD will sit on their asses, and not make any gpu's for desktop, for the same year, or the next few years after the release of consoles?! Of course it's a hypothetical, cause consoles will still get beat by a 3 year old gpu upon their release.

Last edited:

Romulus

But who cares what MOST pc gamers have for their hardware? I have a high end desktop with one of, if not the best RTX 2080 Ti varients out there. Do I care what my other buddies on discord have? No, all I care about is that we can play all the games together, no matter if they spent 500 bucks or if they spent 3k on their computer.

And how can a game developed on a pc, look better than the pc's that they are created on? What kinda logic is that? Movie studio animators aren't running consumer level cpu/gpu's... How can a console like the series x, beat computers with card's that have much higher tdp, no power limitations, better cooling, boost clocks, etc? If there series x can't even beat the 2080 TI, according to TERRORFLOPS, what makes you think the xbsx will suddenly beat current or even next gen gpu's?

Let's just take a scenario where the next gen consoles get some magical fairy dust, and somehow, beat every pc in existence. Let's just go with that hypothetical statement, cause we all know it's not true. But if this were the case, do you not think Nvidia and AMD will sit on their asses, and not make any gpu's for desktop, for the same year, or the next few years after the release of consoles?! Of course it's a hypothetical, cause consoles will still get beat by a 3 year old gpu upon their release.

I honestly have no idea what you're point is now. My original post claimed most PCs wont top XSX, now you're saying who cares? Then why even quote me? Makes zero sense. You're just flexing PC options, which I love too, but you're just arguing with yourself.

I said most PCs. Not the cream of the crop. I would hope a $2k rig could outbox a $500 console lol. What are you even arguing about?

I honestly have no idea what you're point is now. My original post claimed most PCs wont top XSX, now you're saying who cares? Then why even quote me? Makes zero sense. You're just flexing PC options, which I love too, but you're just arguing with yourself.

I said most PCs. Not the cream of the crop. I would hope a $2k rig could outbox a $500 console lol. What are you even arguing about?
And I keep reiterating, that if you want to spend money on a pc to beat consoles, it's an option. Who cares if most pc's do or don't beat consoles. It's up to the user if they want to upgrade or not. I've literally started that each time now. That only means if you want to have better hardware than next gen consoles, you either already beat it from a few years ago, or you can upgrade to even better hardware when consoles release, or you don't have to upgrade shit, and can still play next gen games. Why does it matter to YOU specifically if most users have/don't have better hardware than consoles that aren't even released yet? I genuinely want to know what does that matter to you?

Last edited:

Romulus

And I keep reiterating, that if you want to spend money on a pc to beat consoles, it's an option. Who cares if most pc's do or don't beat consoles. It's up to the user if they want to upgrade or not. I've literally started that each time now. That only means if you want to have better hardware than next gen consoles, you either already beat it from a few years ago, or you can upgrade to even better hardware when consoles release, or you don't have to upgrade shit, and can still play next gen games. Why does it matter to YOU specifically if most users have/don't have better hardware than consoles that aren't even released yet? I genuinely want to know what does that matter to you?

That's always been the case though. You can spend more money for better shit, who's even arguing that?

Why does it genuinely matter to you though why I think that? That's even more puzzling that you're so interested in a stranger's mindset. How do you know if it even matters to me I'm not just baiting PCs users like yourself that are trigger happy to flex? Or maybe it does. We're talking about Doom eternal, when XSX comes out, itll look better than the vast majority of PCs, including mine. Thats what you quoted me on, yet you supposedly don't care. Lol. You're literally quoting like I insulted your 2080ti.

Last edited:
That's always been the case though. You can spend more money for better shit, who's even arguing that?

Why does it genuinely matter to you though why I think that? That's even more puzzling that you're so interested in a stranger's mindset. How do you know if it even matters to me I'm not just baiting PCs users like yourself that are trigger happy to flex? Or maybe it does. We're talking about Doom eternal, when XSX comes out, itll look better than the vast majority of PCs, including mine. Thats what you quoted me on, yet you supposedly don't care. Lol. You're literally quoting like I insulted your 2080ti. Chill.
Again, I. Me. Personally. Don't care if a 660 dollar purchase runs Doom better than someone else's pc or ps4/5. It doesn't matter to ME. I am a fan of working hard so I can afford the things I enjoy. It's not flexing, it's just a sense of ownership and working hard and reaping those benefits. This isn't a dick measuring contest. Instead of upgrading my pc, I could save that money. But again, I'm a fan of gaming so I don't mind if the Xbox series x had better visuals than my buddy who got his pc for 500 bucks, and I'm sure he doesn't care either, as long as he can play the game, that's all that matters.

And anyone who's "baiting pc users" is considered trolling, right? This is an online discussion, not a swamp.

Stuart360

Anyone think there will be a official release of this on next gen consoles?. I have been watching some high bittrate 4k vids of the PC version and fuck knows how they are going to get that running on current console, it looks incredible.

Romulus

Again, I. Me. Personally. Don't care if a 660 dollar purchase runs Doom better than someone else's pc or ps4/5. It doesn't matter to ME. I am a fan of working hard so I can afford the things I enjoy. It's not flexing, it's just a sense of ownership and working hard and reaping those benefits. This isn't a dick measuring contest. Instead of upgrading my pc, I could save that money. But again, I'm a fan of gaming so I don't mind if the Xbox series x had better visuals than my buddy who got his pc for 500 bucks, and I'm sure he doesn't care either, as long as he can play the game, that's all that matters.

And anyone who's "baiting pc users" is considered trolling, right? This is an online discussion, not a swamp.

So what's your main point though? You quoted me originally because I said most PCs wont look better than XSX. Okay, you dont care. Why are we here at this point?

I never said I was trolling.

So what's your main point though? You quoted me originally because I said most PCs wont look better than XSX. Okay, you dont care. Why are we here at this point?

I never said I was trolling.
My point, and you can look at several previous quotes, of me saying that who cares if xbsx looks better than more or less of pc's users specs? Is the xbsx out yet? Have you noticed that most pc users upgrade upon the release of a console? Who's to say that consoles won't be the lowest common denominator, as it's always been, in every single generation yet, and will continue to be? Once xbsx is 2 years old, and xb1 users are forced to upgrade, what happens when pc players can still play next gen games, WITHOUT having to upgrade? What does it matter if someone doesn't mind playing on settings that aren't ULTRA or EXTREME, when consoles have always been a mixture of low to medium and a few high settings, compared to pc?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Arbitrary resolution and framerate support should be a given. But I suppose whether arbitrary or capped to 400 makes little difference for frame rate so it's more important for resolution to not be fixed to a given selection but allow anything (so that devs don't have to specifically support things like ultra wide or whatever else but naturally support any and all manually set resolutions from day one of development). Still you never know how tech may evolve in the future so it's always best to not cap your game systems to any specific set of frame rate or resolution but let the user choose.

Still, this is kind of non news.

Edit: wtf is up with this being a console war thread again, lol? Consoles are cool but so are PCs, if you (as things stand, this can differ at times) sensibly upgrade (so, never the top of the line overpriced stuff) CPU every 2 console generations and GPU every generation but time both upgrades at roughly mid-console-generation rather than the start or end of one, you can play most games better than consoles and have a crazy back catalogue to revisit improved in UHD remaster style, free, all without paying any particularly exorbitant amount on the hardware. Plus cheap games, no online fees, VR, broad selection of different control devices, mods. The PC might struggle to keep up just before that mid-generation GPU upgrade point but you can postpone those few AAA type games for a while until you can soon destroy them & most consoles aren't bought at launch either anyway. Alternatively if you don't care for the cost you can drop a good amount every generation or even more frequently for the top stuff and never struggle to keep up or wait for your next upgrade to revisit a game you couldn't play optimally but that's just one personal choice, not all of PC gaming.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
It's possible.... But will it be implemented in AAA and non-indie/arcade games? That's the real question
Well Just the other day I was saying PS5 will do 4K 120fps and people were acting all skeptical and talking about PONG, when I specifically mentioned titles like Doom, Quake, World War Z, Apex Legends, Destiny, Unreal, Strange Brigade, COD, BF etc......Including many AA and indie games.....At least some of the bigger titles like COD, BF and DOOM can give options at 120fps....Maybe 60fps max raytracing or 120fps minimal raytracing etc....

It's possible but TV's man. Maybe I'm out of the loop, I haven't bought a tv in a long time and I don't follow tv related tech stuff, but isn't like every/majority of consumer tv's 60hz?
If so, then I don't really see the point in 120 fps on consoles.
By September this year the market should be flooded with 4K 120-240Hz TV's and there will be quite a few 8K TV's too

I doubt many PCs will look as good as XSX version of Doom Eternal. Ps4/XB1 were potatoes compared to what this new machine is and it ran really well. I mean, even the Switch version looks like Doom on that garbage hardware. Closed box optimization with a 12TF GPU will look incredible.
Don't forget, PC hardware won't stay stagnant, there will be $700-1000 cards that will play those games at higher clips.....Consoles will still lead with exclusives and lead the visual charge though, but I think PC will continue to push some more frames and settings if you have the money and kit.....

Romulus

My point, and you can look at several previous quotes, of me saying that who cares if xbsx looks better than more or less of pc's users specs? Is the xbsx out yet? Have you noticed that most pc users upgrade upon the release of a console? Who's to say that consoles won't be the lowest common denominator, as it's always been, in every single generation yet, and will continue to be? Once xbsx is 2 years old, and xb1 users are forced to upgrade, what happens when pc players can still play next gen games, WITHOUT having to upgrade? What does it matter if someone doesn't mind playing on settings that aren't ULTRA or EXTREME, when consoles have always been a mixture of low to medium and a few high settings, compared to pc?

We're talking about doom eternal. If you think PC users will suddenly upgrade to 12tf baseline, that's fine.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
We're talking about doom eternal. If you think PC users will suddenly upgrade to 12tf baseline, that's fine.
If you think console users suddenly will all upgrade to the new consoles, "that's fine". It's a process, it takes time, both for consoles and PC. They don't reach their millions of sales in a week. By the time most people do have the consoles there will also be mid range modestly priced PC hardware topping them. Nobody says you have to upgrade your PC the day a console does its pilot launch or whatever, if anything it's strongly advised against if you want to be sensible with your money, and if you don't care for the money then this doesn't matter, it's all a personal choice, not right or wrong.

Last edited:
What makes you think 1 or a million TF matters? Have you not done the BASIC research and easily found out TERRORFLOPS only matter to console warriors? In pc world, those numbers don't matter, as it doesn't correlate to performance. When will you finally get that?!

Higher terrorflops don't mean better performance. It just scares the kids away.

Last edited:

TUROK

ID tech engine is slaying it this gen. DOOM '16 looks great and has consistent framerates even on base consoles. I'm replaying it in anticipation for Eternal and on my One S it looks and plays fucking fantastic still.

IDTech(insert number here) and REengine shit on anything else this gen.
Framerate fluctuated constantly on base consoles. 50-60 on PS4 and 45-60 on One.

Still undecided which platform to get it on. I have a One X, but I also have a decent PC with a 1080 GTX (non Ti).

It's framerate vs resolution on this one. Hmmm.

Last edited:

Romulus

What makes you think 1 or a million TF matters? Have you not done the BASIC research and easily found out TERRORFLOPS only matter to console warriors? In pc world, those numbers don't matter, as it doesn't correlate to performance. When will you finally get that?!

Higher terrorflops don't mean better performance. It just scares the kids away.

Lol.. What's up with the all caps? They use the TF numbers. We compare to the older consoles TF stacked against previous cards and get very clear picture. I know you dont know anything about consoles but we've been doing this for while and its been accurate. A 1.4TF GPU stacked against a 1.8TF GPU performed exactly where I thought it would against 2013 cards, with the gap between them that I thought it would. That's considering I wasn't an expert eiither. Calm down, no one said it was 1to1 to PC TF estimates, that's not the way arrive there.

Last edited:
Lol.. What's up with the all caps? They use the TF numbers. We compare to the older consoles TF stacked against previous cards and get very clear picture. I know you dont know anything about consoles but we've been doing this for while and its been accurate. A 1.4TF GPU stacked against a 1.8TF GPU performed exactly where I thought it would against 2013 cards, with the gap between them that I thought it would. That's considering I wasn't an expert eiither. Calm down, no one said it was 1to1 to PC TF estimates, that's not the way arrive there.
You obviously don't know about consoles from that reply. I'm a gamer at heart. I literally work my ass off to play games, whether it be fire emblem on switch, bloodborne on ps4, and everything else on pc. I like to play games at their best. I didn't mind buying resident evil 4, 3 different times, because i enjoy the game, and if i can play it in a better fashion, why not? Ps4 was better visualy than xb1, xb1x is better visualy than ps4 pro. Switch doesn't care, and is eating up all the popcorn. And yet, here you are eating up all the PR from MS and Sony. Big oof on your part.

Romulus

If you think console users suddenly will all upgrade to the new consoles, "that's fine". It's a process, it takes time, both for consoles and PC. They don't reach their millions of sales in a week. By the time most people do have the consoles there will also be mid range modestly priced PC hardware topping them. Nobody says you have to upgrade your PC the day a console does its pilot launch or whatever, if anything it's strongly advised against if you want to be sensible with your money, and if you don't care for the money then this doesn't matter, it's all a personal choice, not right or wrong.

I.never said they would. Again, you're so quick to quote without reading the previous discussion. My whole point was most PCs wont stack up against the XSX when eternal comes out. That's it. I never made any statement like he did thar the baseline would shift.

You obviously don't know about consoles from that reply. I'm a gamer at heart. I literally work my ass off to play games, whether it be fire emblem on switch, bloodborne on ps4, and everything else on pc. I like to play games at their best. I didn't mind buying resident evil 4, 3 different times, because i enjoy the game, and if i can play it in a better fashion, why not? Ps4 was better visualy than xb1, xb1x is better visualy than ps4 pro. Switch doesn't care, and is eating up all the popcorn. And yet, here you are eating up all the PR from MS and Sony. Big oof on your part.

Explain why I dont know consoles from my response. Be specific.

I'd almost guarantee you have nothing specific or else you would have brought it up. Vagueness and deflecting is extremely suspect in your response here. Playing console games has knowing to do with understanding the machines and how they compare to PC cards.

Last edited:
I.never said they would. Again, you're so quick to quote without reading the previous discussion. My whole point was most PCs wont stack up against the XSX when eternal comes out. That's it. I never made any statement like he did thar the baseline would shift.

Explain why I dont know consoles from my response. Be specific.

I'd almost guarantee you have nothing specific or else you would have brought it up. Vagueness and deflecting is extremely suspect in your response here.
I'm saying the same thing you said, for the exact same reasons. You had no reasons. But to think xbsx will suddenly shit on pc's is laughable at BEST!

Romulus

I'm saying the same thing you said, for the exact same reasons. You had no reasons. But to think xbsx will suddenly shit on pc's is laughable at BEST!

I never said anything remotely close to XSX "shitting on pcs." Completely fabricated.

You also refused to be specific about why I didnt know about console to PC numbers. Just typical vagueness, deflection tactics, hoping I would say anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom