• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM ETERNAL can do 1000 fps if your hardware can do it

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-eternal-can-do-1000-fps-if-youve-got-the-hardware-for-it/

Back in the days of Quake and Quake 2 (and probably others, but that's what I played), it was common for players to minimize graphical settings in order to maximize framerates. Speed is life in online games, after all. It's also great for bragging rights, and if you could maintain a solid 30 fps while the bullets were flying and the bombs exploding, you were a real hero on the id Software forums.

Things have changed somewhat since those long-ago days when players used console commands to remove Quake's framerate cap. Speaking to IGN, id Sofware's lead engine programmer Billy Kahn said that the id Tech 7 engine has been dramatically overhauled for Doom Eternal, enabling "bigger explosions, more vibrant looking particle effects," and a ridiculous number of frames moving from your monitor to your eyeballs every second.

"On id Tech 6, we maxed it out to 250 frames per second. This game, if you have the hardware right, it could hit 1000 frames per second. That the max we have," Kahn says in the video.

"And there's really no upper limit, I've had some hardware here locally that we built just for testing, where we had scenes running in the 400 frames per second. So people who have 144hz monitors, or even the new monitors that you'll see coming out that are even above that, going forward this game will hold up for many years and it will give you really amazing opportunities to leverage that hardware."

Does this mean it's finally time to stop asking if it can run Crysis? I'm thinking probably not—I'm a real stickler for tradition—but I wouldn't mind seeing what a game running at 1000 fps actually looks like. Check back in ten years, I guess.

Doom Eternal comes out on March 20. This is what it looks like in 4K.

By "supports" they just mean HDMI 2.1 can transfer that amount of data, it's just bullshit marketing speak that doesn't mean anything. You won't see that in anything other than maybe a 2D indie game.
The same way we heard 60fps, native 4k from last gen. It's the same this year. It just supports the standard, and that's it. Supposedly it even supports 8k, but let's see if 4k is even attainable for consoles @60fps, with medium to high settings (i won't even get into maxed out settings cause we all know how that goes)

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
By "supports" they just mean HDMI 2.1 can transfer that amount of data, it's just bullshit marketing speak that doesn't mean anything. You won't see that in anything other than maybe a 2D indie game.
Xbox One X can do Native 4K at great FPS already with only 6TF GCN. I expect some pretty impressive stuff next gen, especially if we don’t waste all our resources on RTX.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Xbox Series X Supports 4K @ 120 FPS 💦 😻

3qyy4p.jpg

TacosNSalsa

I'm not surprised Doom 2016 was very well optimized . Think would run on a potato at decent(ish) settings and 60 fps at LEAST. I saw a video yesterday that they said they are working to use the CPU even more efficiently than before ..oh man I can't wait for this game!!

EDIT: Ahhh..there's the video

Last edited:

K.N.W.

Xbox One X can do Native 4K at great FPS already with only 6TF GCN. I expect some pretty impressive stuff next gen, especially if we don’t waste all our resources on RTX.
Yes, but GPU power is not the main reason. Reaching such EXTREME framerates, depends firstly on CPU, if the cpu doesn't push enough instructions, the GPU cannot draw them. But, if you don't have enough GPU grunt, you can lower the resolution.
Which is funny to me, imagine playing a game like DOOM Eternal at 640p@500hz xD

Last edited:

-Troid-

Banned
ID tech engine is slaying it this gen. DOOM '16 looks great and has consistent framerates even on base consoles. I'm replaying it in anticipation for Eternal and on my One S it looks and plays fucking fantastic still.

IDTech(insert number here) and REengine shit on anything else this gen.

So I guess 120fps is possible on next gen consoles now, isn't it...….?
It's possible but TV's man. Maybe I'm out of the loop, I haven't bought a tv in a long time and I don't follow tv related tech stuff, but isn't like every/majority of consumer tv's 60hz?
If so, then I don't really see the point in 120 fps on consoles.

Romulus

I doubt many PCs will look as good as XSX version of Doom Eternal. Ps4/XB1 were potatoes compared to what this new machine is and it ran really well. I mean, even the Switch version looks like Doom on that garbage hardware. Closed box optimization with a 12TF GPU will look incredible.

Last edited:

Banned
I wonder how much the physics of the game would break when running close to 1000fps.

in Doon 2016 if you are close to 300fps (or somewhere in the 250fps range is enough I think) the collision detection spasms out and you can press some buttons through walls for example and the hit detection issues allow you to glitch out of bounds more easily.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Explain to me (a noob) how this matters if your monitor can't display 1,000 FPS

BiodegradableDisguisedDanishswedishfarmdog-max-1mb.gif
Well, it does at least mean that anyone who buys one of those crazy 360Hz monitors can potentially see what it actually looks like when a new game runs at 360fps on it (if their hardware can do it).

It's also future proofing. There was a time when 144Hz seemed like stupid idea to people. Times change. Also, you do have an improvement in latency when running at a higher framerate even if your monitor doesn't go that high. It's small, but it's there. All little things, but to be ready for 10+ years from now is cool from a technical standpoint.

I doubt many PCs will look as good as XSX version of Doom Eternal. Ps4/XB1 were potatoes compared to what this new machine is and it ran really well. I mean, even the Switch version looks like Doom on that garbage hardware. Closed box optimization with a 12TF GPU will look incredible.
Lmfaaaaaaaaaaaaaaao, why would the pc version look worse than the PC VERSION THAT CREATED ALL THE TEXTURES, ASSETS, EFFECTS, for the xbsx PORT?! Please explain that. Especially when lockheart exists? Please quote me on this.

Top Bottom