• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal best lighting ever used in gaming?

Doom Eternal best lighting ever?

• Yes! It's the bees knees!

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • NO!

Votes: 96 84.2%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I am playing this in Ray tracing mode (1800p) with HDR on the PS5. The HDR settings in the game is a bit complicated but once you get them dialed in the game simply looks incredible. There is a solid argument for this game to be considered the best looking game period but the lighting is on another level. Neon lights pop out of the screen while the levels are just gorgeous. Ray Tracing is also insane how the light's shine off the gun's, enemies, and metal surfaces. It's amazing a game like this can run at 60fps on a $500 console. Best Lighting used yet? The Game looks much better than these screen shots if playing on a good HDR set but here some examples.

doom-eternal-1624985260057.jpg

Doom-Eternal-new-3-1920x1080.jpg

doom-eternal-ps5-upgrade-2-768x432.jpg.webp
doom-eternal-update-6-2.jpg

CityFight.PNG
1043246.jpg

1043245.jpg

doom-eternal-geforce-rtx-ray-traced-reflections-005-off-1920px.jpg
doom-rtx-ray-tracing-eternal-2_feature.jpg

doom-eternal-geforce-rtx-ray-traced-reflections-002-on-1920px.jpg
411f554ad4531841e807216bab9699e4.jpg

Guides_DOOMEternal9.jpg

Hugare

Not even close

"Lighting" can be very subjective, but Doom's is nothing mindblowing

If we are talking about the "most accurate", Metro Exodus would be up there.

Personaly, I love TLOU Part 2 lighting. It can look incredibly realistic sometimes.

HoodWinked

i think alot of doom eternal's lighting is baked? its why the game has such high performance.

but also it's kind of a boon due to the game's premise which allows the game to have high contrast florescent colored lighting to make things flashy. where as something like a baseball game they can't just stick random glowy things.

The lighting in Lego Builders is insane this is what you get when you allot the entirety of a game's rendering budget into only lighting.

Not even close

"Lighting" can be very subjective, but Doom's is nothing mindblowing

If we are talking about the "most accurate", Metro Exodus would be up there.

Personaly, I love TLOU Part 2 lighting. It can look incredibly realistic sometimes.
Baked.

mxbison

Cyberpunk on high end PC.

I haven't played RDR2 on PC but the lighting was already great on PS4 so I guess that's up there too.

tommib

I am playing this in Ray tracing mode (1800p) with HDR on the PS5. The HDR settings in the game is a bit complicated but once you get them dialed in the game simply looks incredible. There is a solid argument for this game to be considered the best looking game period but the lighting is on another level. Neon lights pop out of the screen while the levels are just gorgeous. Ray Tracing is also insane how the light's shine off the gun's, enemies, and metal surfaces. It's amazing a game like this can run at 60fps on a $500 console. Best Lighting used yet? The Game looks much better than these screen shots if playing on a good HDR set but here some examples.

doom-eternal-1624985260057.jpg

Doom-Eternal-new-3-1920x1080.jpg

doom-eternal-ps5-upgrade-2-768x432.jpg.webp
doom-eternal-update-6-2.jpg

CityFight.PNG
1043246.jpg

1043245.jpg

doom-eternal-geforce-rtx-ray-traced-reflections-005-off-1920px.jpg
doom-rtx-ray-tracing-eternal-2_feature.jpg

doom-eternal-geforce-rtx-ray-traced-reflections-002-on-1920px.jpg
411f554ad4531841e807216bab9699e4.jpg

Guides_DOOMEternal9.jpg
I really dislike this cartoon look that Doom now has. That Quake remaster made me realize that the new id stuff has been made for ADHD kids that can’t focus on non-neon abhorrent colours. Long live medieval cosmic horror and Doom 3 survival horror ambience.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Doom Eternal has great lighting, but on a technical level ill hand it to Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition. The raytraced lighting and shadowing there is so unbelievably natural that this is how next-gen is supposed to look like.

Ratchet & Clank PS5 is also very impressive since its movie-like lighting in real time. I'd love to read more about their technical implementations, however.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's nice but nah. Cyberpunk (on a good PC), Demon's Souls remake, Metro Exodus, RDR2.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
But rt is just reflections in this case. Does not change how lighting works

Yeah but it adds a lot to overall look of the game. I preferred 2016 before but after RT patch Eternal looks better.

But on topic: lighting in DE is nothing mindblowing tech wise. Standard stuff.

Jack Uzi

Banned
I don’t think it has the best ever lighting. But I’m playing this again for some reason with the PS5 1800p RT mode in HDR and I super feel where you are coming from 🦾

SafeOrAlone

Banned
No game needs a remaster like Red Dead Redemption 2. It's one of the best narratives, with an incredibly designed world, but plays like molasses.

I wanted to play it a second time, but just couldn't muster through it. Particularly the forced-walking within the camp segment. How maddening is that on a second playthrough?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Demon’s Souls RE has the best lighting I have ever seen. It’s constantly incredible.
I'm with you, sometimes I play Demon Souls just to see the visuals, it still blows my mind

Sony buying Bluepoint for a few remakes alone would pay off dividends $$$$

Top Bottom