• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Opinion Doom creator John Romero on what's wrong with modern shooter games

SkylineRKR

Jun 22, 2011
Holland
Doom 64 was so fucking good, its ridiculous. It spoiled me on Eternal and I'm not lying. I couldn't get into Eternal. Not because of the weapons, but because of the ammo/armor/platforming/hazard mechanics. A shame because 2016 was legit classic.

Give me a decent weapon selection, some exploration and secrets and enough ammo to blast. I prefer that over arena style battles.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacReady13

Wonko_C

Jul 5, 2010
Cancun, Mexico.
It's fun in short bursts, and it would be kind of cool to see the original Doom in VR. But most people play games to chill at the end of days work - having to faff around with the headset, and play standing up and waving your arms around is exhausting, plus the gimped in-game movement.
Doom's already playable in VR:

Fast movement is possible in VR, I guess devs are just afraid of making people sick: (The grappling hook thing for crazy vertical movement looks awesome too)

I get that to most people it's just too much effort, but it's my favorite way to play Borderlands 2VR: Sitting on my office chair, Aim Controller in hand(s), arm movement is pretty minimal and not tiresome at all.

Then there's DOOM VFR. It is as fast (or even faster if you use the dash and shift movement) than DOOM 2016, the only difference is you can't jump. Shit gets crazy in Ultra-Violence.

Rudius

Feb 19, 2020
It's fun in short bursts, and it would be kind of cool to see the original Doom in VR. But most people play games to chill at the end of days work - having to faff around with the headset, and play standing up and waving your arms around is exhausting, plus the gimped in-game movement.
I chill in VR after work. You can play most games seated and the movements required are subtle. VR is not Wii or Kinect.

Reactions: Wonko_C

Bryank75

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Ireland
The way PlayStation can make shooters as good or better than PC is by focusing on PSVR shooters with great motion controllers with no lag.

I really want Half Life Alyx as a launch window game with PSVR 2. Then get the new Doom working in it, not with that teleportation stuff. All 120fps.

lastmessiah

May 14, 2020
I don't understand the appeal of looter shooters. I tried Destiny 2 and found the gameplay loop so dry and not compelling. So you get some "loot" with slightly higher specs after grinding the same enemies and then tailor your build so you can go grind some other enemies that are scaled to your build. And then the co-op aspect just makes the already dumb and incompetent AI even easier to defeat. Where is the draw? I'd rather just play a Battle Royale or a Survival game where I feel like I'm actually meeting resistance in my journey.

Wonko_C

Jul 5, 2010
Cancun, Mexico.
I don't understand the appeal of looter shooters. I tried Destiny 2 and found the gameplay loop so dry and not compelling. So you get some "loot" with slightly higher specs after grinding the same enemies and then tailor your build so you can go grind some other enemies that are scaled to your build. And then the co-op aspect just makes the already dumb and incompetent AI even easier to defeat. Where is the draw? I'd rather just play a Battle Royale or a Survival game where I feel like I'm actually meeting resistance in my journey.
I left D2 long ago but my friends who still play are all about the PvP.

DogofWar

Jun 11, 2020
Funnily, due to a bug (?), you can actually completely negate the inaccuracy of the chaingun in Doom. Just tap the fire key instead of holding it down. You can now shoot with perfect accuracy making the pistol rather obsolete.

Hehe, my first thought as well. Chaingun is essentially the sniper in Doom.

Great points by Romero overall. FPS is a genre that is suffering either from Michael Bay-syndrome or "realism". I don't want to be showered by new weapons, ammo, and skills to the point were I don't know how to use half of them but I also don't want to be able to carry maximum 2 weapons and 3 magazines the entire game.

All hail classic Doom! The most balanced and fun game ever made.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Feb 28, 2014
When is the last time John Romero made a good or relevant game?

Reactions: ElOdyssey

The Alien

Feb 10, 2018
Not enough Stevie "Killcreek" Case these days.....now we just have some dime a dozen Twitch Thots.

And not since John Romero, has any developer made you their bitch. Except maybe Todd Howard making Fallout 76 players his bitches
What is this smut?
.....and where can I find it?
(asking for a friend)

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Irrelevant
When is the last time John Romero made a good or relevant game?

Irrelevant, since he made the game that put shooters on the map. If shooters were a religion he'd be Christ and Carmack would be God. Every time you load up Call of Battlewar or Destinylands or Halolife and put a bullet in something you are praying at his church. He changed the face of the hobby you and I call our own. He doesn't need a second coming.

Shinobitron

May 3, 2019
Gyro aiming, is that what the steam controller uses? I had to put that thing away I couldn't get used to it. Not having the analog stick was killing me.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Jan 2, 2007
And not since John Romero, has any developer made you their bitch. Except maybe Todd Howard making Fallout 76 players his bitches
John is the only one ultimately made a bitch by that campaign. Daikatana was panned and that marketing campaign is part of the reason it got dogpiled like it did.