• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 32X Resurrection: massive hacking improvement of sega 32x Doom finally released !

celsowmbr

Banned

This hack completely replaces the original engine, adding performance improvements and new features, as well as missing levels from the Jaguar port.

• Multi-region, supports both PAL and NTSC.
  • Smoother yet faithful gameplay.
  • New PSX-like title screen.
  • Rendering has been spread across both SH2 processors for better speed.
  • User input is processed at 30FPS, while game logic runs at 15FPS.
  • Low (two pixel modes) 128×144, 128×160, 160×180 and high detail 224×128, 252×144 video modes.
  • Soundtrack courtesy of Spoony Bard: https://www.patreon.com/SpoonyBard
  • Selecting between no music, VGM FM music, or playing music from attached Sega CD (requires Sega CD in addition to 32X).
  • Stereo panning for game sounds.
  • Save ram support - keeps track of finished levels, health, armor, weapons and ammo - eight save slots as well as an auto-save at the end of each level.
  • Includes Saxman’s 24 Level Expansion pack.
  • Restores sprite directions from the Jaguar version as well as in-fighting between monsters.
  • Level fixes courtesy of Wavy.
  • Spectres look the way they did in the original PC version.
  • Jaguar Doom HUD assets.
  • Three drawing modes: the regular sector based lighting (although it’s better than the original Doom 32X in that sprites also use this lighting, no more 100% bright sprites!), “potato” mode which doesn’t texture floors or ceilings for slightly better speed, or the original Doom fading light rendering (which is just a smidgen slower and looks a little muddy given the fifteen bit palette of the 32X).
  • ‘Always run’ option.
  • Support for three-button and six-button pads, as well as the Sega mouse. You can choose how to map the primary three buttons in the menu.
  • Verified as working on Kega Fusion 3.64, a Model 2 Genesis + Model 2 CD + launch 32X, a CDX + 32X, with a NeoFlash NeoMyth MD and the V1 Mega EverDrive, and also with Mega EverDrive Pro.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Man thats quite impressive compared to the initial release version.
Lots of added improvements,. full screen window, and much improved framerate.
Not sure about the 180p though lol.

fart town usa

Gold Member
So this is really cool and I love stuff like this but what's the point? Sounds like they just made it closer to the PC release?

Thaedolus

So this is really cool and I love stuff like this but what's the point? Sounds like they just made it closer to the PC release?
These kinds of projects that run on original hardware (assuming this one does) breath new life into old games. There’s a guy that’s been ROM hacking SNES games by utilizing the SA-1 enhancement chip to eliminate slowdown, which is fully compatible with original hardware, and it’s great shit. Gradius III can run on a donor SA-1 cart or ever drive with zero slowdown on an OG SNES now. It’s cool stuff to see.

cireza

Banned
Awesome job. Going to try this later today. I wonder how big the rom ends up being with this patch.

Does Unholy Cathedral work ?

I would love to put the redbook soundtrack of Saturn Doom if possible. Going to check this...

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Its an impressive job. One of things it catches me is the music. 32x is well know for its "fart" music. But this made good use of the MD audio chip(yomohaya, I forgot now), and it sounds pretty good alright.

I think you answer your own question. These ports at time tried to get the closest they could to the actual version(PC). But due to a lot of problems, they aren't. So, the closer you can get to the PC version with the current console the better.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
I saw it yesterday, I really love project like these. The resolution in fullscreen mode should be higher than the original.

fart town usa

Gold Member
These kinds of projects that run on original hardware (assuming this one does) breath new life into old games. There’s a guy that’s been ROM hacking SNES games by utilizing the SA-1 enhancement chip to eliminate slowdown, which is fully compatible with original hardware, and it’s great shit. Gradius III can run on a donor SA-1 cart or ever drive with zero slowdown on an OG SNES now. It’s cool stuff to see.
Ahhh, I get it now. The fact that it's running on original hardware makes a lot more sense. I kind of read it as them just lifting the PC version to the 32x.

Thanks for clearing that up.

cireza

Banned
So I gave it a try on my Everdrive. Works perfectly well.

They have restored the lighting, this is very nice. Gameplay is smoother, and you can fill the screen.

There is a save feature but for some reason it did not want to save. They also say that you can use a CD, ok great, but how do we know which track is going to be used when ? It is not documented anywhere.

Great effort overall, very impressed.

nkarafo

Holy shit, this is even better than i expected. I think this would make the 32X port the best pre-N64 console version. PSX Doom is nice and all but the graphics are stretched horizontally too much. This is almost perfect.

stranno

Very, very impressive! The Dual SH2 rendering is some godly codemagik.

OP, based on this you got me inspired to make a thread about another Doom game that got a treatment: Here is Doom 64: Merciless Edition II for Nintendo 64.
Game Boy Advance has GBADoom as well, not a hack, but a complete port of prBoom for GBA. It has an infinite list of improvements over the original Doom 1 and Doom 2 ports, of course, and it runs at the same framerate (35FPS in first levels, but it can fall to 10FPS in some areas). It should even run Sigil, iirc.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Game Boy Advance has GBADoom as well, not a hack, but a complete port of prBoom for GBA. It has an infinite list of improvements over the original Doom 1 and Doom 2 ports, of course, and it runs at the same framerate (35FPS in first levels, but it can fall to 10FPS in some areas). It should even run Sigil, iirc.
Do you also accept it that through that engine, Chex Quest is available for GBA? ;)

Video:

Cattlyst

That is super impressive. I love the ingenious use of the Sega CD to add additional music support. You could legitimately burn the 3DO soundtrack to CD and play that! Only thing missing is the awesome PS1 intro soundtrack. If I still had a 32X I'd certainly be trying this out.

Drew1440

Always fascinated by these old ports of Doom, especially when they were handled by third-party developers.
3DO Doom had a tragic development story, being developed by only one person, its a wonder the game was able to be released.
One Youtuber has been trying to optimize the game after the developer released the source code for the 3D0 version.

With this and the 32X improvements, I wonder if we could get audio on the famous Jaguar version?

fart town usa

Gold Member
The ball's in your court, Carmack.
Time to get that Jag port running 200% faster like you once said was possible.
*Carmack wakes up in a cold sweat*

season 3 riverdale GIF

Futaleufu

The fans did a great job, had Doom been released as this it would've been a killer app for the 32X

I saw it yesterday, I really love project like these. The resolution in fullscreen mode should be higher than the original.

The original PC version runs at 320x200 with a ceiling of 35 fps.

Last edited:

Agent X

With this and the 32X improvements, I wonder if we could get audio on the famous Jaguar version?

There's a group of people that have been working on an improved version of Doom for the Jaguar for a while. They've restored music during gameplay (the original Jaguar version only played music between levels), added some missing enemies back from the PC version, and made other various improvements. Here's a thread from AtariAge that discusses their efforts:

Romulus

Makes me really wonder how much better other versions would be now with modern optimization techniques. Not to mention it seemed like every console doom had like 2 people working on it under some ridiculous time crunch.

The fans did a great job, had Doom been released as this it would've been a killer app for the 32X

Almost makes me wonder if it could've saved the 32X.

I mean, probably not, since not even Star Wars could save it. But the 32X had this persistent problem of ports feeling like they were.... lacking somehow, usually in the sound department or in a "not really looking much better than a Genesis game" graphics department. It really needed more like this new 32X Doom.

Futaleufu

Almost makes me wonder if it could've saved the 32X.

I mean, probably not, since not even Star Wars could save it. But the 32X had this persistent problem of ports feeling like they were.... lacking somehow, usually in the sound department or in a "not really looking much better than a Genesis game" graphics department. It really needed more like this new 32X Doom.
I think the biggest problem of systems like 32x and Jaguar was that they were still releasing games on 2 to 4 mb cartridges. No space to put quality samples or decent textures. The average Neo Geo game at the time was 10 times bigger.

Top Bottom