• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dontnod 'Refused Several Proposals' of Acquisition to Maintain Independence

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to IGN, Dontnod CEO Oskar Guilbert says that Dontnod had actually turned down a number of companies who wanted to acquire it in recent years.

"To be honest, we refused several proposals," he says. "There are a lot of people who are interested [in] the game industry and see the game industry as a new El Dorado for investing.

"...We raised 40 million euros in January. But for us, it was really important that the historic shareholders still have the majority, and still can keep the company independent. That's something really important for us."

Why is Dontnod so adamant that it stay independent? For Guilbert, it comes down to the identity that Dontnod has built up over the years.

"The values, the kind of games we want to do — it's really important for us that we keep this identity of the company for the future. [...] I don't want to be pretentious, but we're one of the game companies which do these kinds of games — like Life is Strange, like Tell Me Why, and Vampyr also in a sense. We really want to continue doing this. And we are lucky because our current partners, our people who put a lot of money in our company still let us do what we want to do.

"...Intuitively I think people know what it means, a game made by Dontnod. This is very important for us because we really want to continue to develop this brand, the Dontnod brand as something which is meaningful internally for us, and also externally for the players."

Check the link for more.

GHG

Only the first LiS.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Only Remember Me was good.

Bridges

I thought they were owned by SE but I guess they just publish LiS.

I could see MS wanting them for episodic Game Pass fodder but otherwise, yeah, I'll echo what LordCBH LordCBH said and say they all dodged a bullet

Kilau

Can't be super-woke if activision or take two are telling you what to make I guess.

They wanted to give Nilin a male love interest in Remember Me but were told they couldn't because guys playing the game wouldn't be able to handle it.

No wonder they choose the route they did next and found massive success to boot.

Shrap

Tencent owns a quarter of Dontnod. Dunno how they are still going after the junk they've put out recently. They went from mediocre with potential to just flatlining.

Dabaus

Banned
Off the top of my head Dontnod, Moon Studios, Bloober, all have admitted to being approached about being purchased (Probably by Microsoft) but turned it down. Any other studio is Microsofts orbit that rejected being acquired by them?

Banned
what became of this studio is still so sad to me... so much potential... al thrown out the window for cash grab, low effort, interactive movie games :messenger_persevering:

rm-nilin-promo.jpg

Last edited:
Woke points from media

Shit points from people who hates trans games probably

Imo it plays into that same tired streotype that Neil also did with Lev. I'm trans therefore my parents have to hate me

Its just bad
Is it tired? 1/10 parents wouldnt be hostile about it. Even me (a person that doesnt really give a fuck), would probably be like damn I have to deal with this? Plus theres so many games about trans people now?

And to think sony was gonna fund/publish their first game. I think in their case they dodged a bullet and I'm not talking about dontnod.

Matsuchezz

The first life is strange was pretty good and the acting was great. And the ost was ok. I had a lot of fun with that one. I bought lis2 but didnot care about it. It did not get me. I was going to download vampyr on plus but my ps4 died on me and i missed it. Silly me did not use the app to get it.

Reindeer

One developer I wouldn't mind being swallowed by Activision and being forced to support COD. Common Acti, do it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pallas

Gold Member
Only the first LiS.
Before the storm LiS and Vampyr.

Off the top of my head Dontnod, Moon Studios, Bloober, all have admitted to being approached about being purchased (Probably by Microsoft) but turned it down. Any other studio is Microsofts orbit that rejected being acquired by them?

Don’t assume it’s Microsoft. Their targets other than Bethesda and those already entrenched(PGG, Undead Labs) were financially struggling studios with mostly a decent track record.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Never heard of 'em. What games have they made?

Duchess

Life is Strange (the first game, with Chloe and Max) was their lightning in a bottle game (something I don't believe they've ever repeated).

Vampyr could've been great, but I stopped playing it due to the non-stop crashes. 2-3 per hour made it almost unplayable.

MadViking

Dontnod should stop being pansies and do a sequel to Vampyr but just remove the god awful souls-like gameplay loop.

That legitimately threw me off the game hard as I loved the game and dialogue options but just cant be arsed with the combat loop.
The game is so much better when played in easy mode.

They've made a bunch of games including shooters and RPGs but they're best known for their narrative adventure games. So far their catalogue consists of Remember Me (never played it consensus seems to be somewhat positive), Life is Strange (DN's first adventure game and their best work imo, aspects of it are flawed, but a favorite of mine), Vampyr (action RPG, my brother really liked it and from what I saw it looked good), Captain Spirit (short single episode prequel to LiS 2, not terrible but not great), Life is Strange 2 (awful game, terrible pacing, annoying cast, drama rings hollow and cringe worthy political preaching), Tell Me Why (surprisingly good, most ppl dismissed the game due to its marketing almost exclusively talking about the trans representation + DN's rep. But it's actually a good mystery with likable characters, outside of a few peak cringe moments), Twin Mirror (fucking horrible, basically an unfinished game, half baked mystery with a bewildering attempt at writing a lead with Autism).

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
They've made a bunch of games including shooters and RPGs but they're best known for their narrative adventure games. So far their catalogue consists of Remember Me (never played it consensus seems to be somewhat positive), Life is Strange (DN's first adventure game and their best work imo, aspects of it are flawed, but a favorite of mine), Vampyr (action RPG, my brother really liked it and from what I saw it looked good), Captain Spirit (short single episode prequel to LiS 2, not terrible but not great), Life is Strange 2 (awful game, terrible pacing, annoying cast, drama rings hollow and cringe worthy political preaching), Tell Me Why (surprisingly good, most ppl dismissed the game due to its marketing almost exclusively talking about the trans representation + DN's rep. But it's actually a good mystery with likable characters, outside of a few peak cringe moments), Twin Mirror (fucking horrible, basically an unfinished game, half baked mystery with a bewildering attempt at writing a lead with Autism).
Never heard of any of those games either. I wonder who was trying to acquire a studio like that?

GeorgPrime

Banned
Woke points from media

Shit points from people who hates trans games probably

Imo it plays into that same tired streotype that Neil also did with Lev. I'm trans therefore my parents have to hate me

Its just bad

I was giving it a try because normally i like Dontnod games.... but i dont know why i just quit it and never went back

Never heard of any of those games either. I wonder who was trying to acquire a studio like that?
Well Life Is Strange was a surprise hit, I'd think most people who pay attention to gaming have heard about it. Their other games don't have concrete numbers. Vampyr was a moderate success, clearing at least a million. As far as I can tell Life is Strange 2 bombed pretty hard. Twin Mirror and Tell Me Why seem to have done poorly as well, although I think TMW was a gamepass game.

Coming off of LiS and Vampyr they were looking like a healthy AA-range studio, not hard to imagine them getting offers back then. After a string of (what appear to be) financial bombs IDK who would bother. They've got 40 million in Tencent money to burn through, though. So we'll see what happens with their next project.

Traianvs

Remember me and Vampyr are amazing, yet low budget games. LiS is the best not telltale game ever.... Sadly, I think that LiS 2 and tell me why are terrible, a real bore to play. And I'm not saying this because of some retarded perception that a game with identity politics is sjw crap, I leave these comments to basement dweller neckbeards. They are just bad games...

Vampyr is amazing, one of the most overlooked games of the past decade easily.

Gonna buy Remember Me now that I see the thread praising it, and it looks like theres no forced liberal politics like in a lot of their titles.

Top Bottom