• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don’t care what anyone says. Cyberpunk 2077 is amazing and should be played

Cyberpunk 2077 was real life tinder at launch
her-tinder-profile-picture-vs-when-you-meet-her-in-person-cyberpunk.jpg

SkylineRKR

Biggest let down in years for me. Not a patch on Witcher 3. The gameplay feels so restricted and dated. So much for all the 'Welcome to the next generation of open world games' nonsense.
The characters and npc's are just too edgelord too to really get into the story. I found the game boring to be honest, and a real struggle to finish.

Cyberpunk atmosphere is really good but its open world design is ancient. There is absolutely nothing to do besides samey shootouts. Other than that I enjoyed my time with it, but I would feel ripped off if I paid full buck for it, even after the upgrade.

Several games, like San Andreas, TW3, RDR have this beat though. If I compare this writing to TW3, then its like CDPR put a B crew on it or something.

Markio128

I played and completed it recently on PS5. I really enjoyed it for the most part. The only thing I didn’t like was the character levelling and upgrade system - it seemed needlessly convoluted and a lot of the upgrades had little effect.

tassletine

The game was marred by having no real ambition to push anything forward, except perhaps in the sheer amount of excellent art direction -- even there it severely overstretched it's self, with repeated assets leading to an impressive then oppressive then ultimately boring city. When the game focused it's self, it worked, but beyond that it frayed out into a wasteland of the same old shit, bugs and nonsense.

Guilty_AI

Cyberpunk 2077 is just big.
Deus Ex and Shadowrun are deeper and are actual RPGs.
Deus Ex deep? Look, i loved both the first one and HR, but the original has some terrible rpg mechanics and HR's are very shallow. They can barely be called actual rpgs.

Last edited:
The concept is amazing (including Keanu Reeves as your ghost companion), but the execution was below average.
And that’s when I totally ignore all the game breaking bugs.

In the end it plays like a bad first person shooter. They should consider hiring more game designers for their next project and make sure the game itself is actually fun to play.
And I don’t know what happened to the writing team of The Witcher 3, but pretty much every side quest story in Cyberpunk is dull as fuck.
No way in hell is the sidequest involving the pedo serial killer "dull". Added twist is that the killer is in a coma and you have to race against time to find the missing kid which you can screw up.

TastyPastry

i'll play it again once the last patch is released and all the expansions (hopefully they make more than just one) are out. base game just has too many lows for me and there is not enough good stuff yet (the main story is way too short) so my hope is that the expansions are going to also imrprove the game in general

fermcr

Played Cyberpunk 2077 at launch... it was good game, not great.
Maybe play it again in a few years from now.

Petopia

Banned
So you're saying that we should wait til 2022 to play this game while It was released 2 yrs dead on arrival?

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

No way in hell is the sidequest involving the pedo serial killer "dull". Added twist is that the killer is in a coma and you have to race against time to find the missing kid which you can screw up.

There were some good ones. Like the one with the guy who wants to be crucified. But a lot of them were weak and the main story was especially weak and short.

yamaci17

definitely faked. this is what it she looked like on PS4 at launch:

Gms8L9n.jpg
its not fake, its how the game looks without contact shadows;

i tried my best, suggesting all my friends to enable contact shadows regardless of other settings. that setting should've been enabled for medium preset, even. its a big hindsight by developers (do note that, i talk about presets. so your settings can be all low but you can still enable contact shadows optionally). it is only enabled with ultra preset by default. it is enabled for all consoles (xbox one included)

Veg5VSx.png

and with low textures, it would probably look like that. so its not surprising, that much. so lets say game looks like that on low :)

Last edited:
No, Deus Ex and Shadowrun are not as vast, extensive and deep as Nightcity.
Deus Ex has a much more intricately crafted world and the attention to detail in each hub-location (speaking of Human Revolution & Mankind Divided) is a league ahead of Cyberpunk 2077. Cyberpunk feels more like a parody of the future while Deus Ex seems much more grounded in reality which helped me connect with the story at a deeper level.

1473195718_deus-ex-mankind-divided.jpg

Guilty_AI

Deus Ex has a much more intricately crafted world and the attention to detail in each hub-location (speaking of Human Revolution & Mankind Divided) is a league ahead of Cyberpunk 2077. Cyberpunk feels more like a parody of the future while Deus Ex seems much more grounded in reality which helped me connect with the story at a deeper level.

It only feels that way because, since Deus Ex maps are smaller, you might explore areas more intrinsically. Not to mention in HR there were like only like 2 or 3 areas that felt actually vast, with many others being almost corridors.

If you took the time to explore the night city, especially areas with missions, you'd find a very similar level of attention to detail, which is quite amazing given the much larger scale of cyberpunk.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I spent time with it after the next gen update. It's ok on consoles now but you can tell it was made for PC. I expect it's best there.

I would like it more with a third person mode while walking. I don't know how much time they spent on the character customization prior to jumping into gameplay but it was time wasted considering how little time you actually see your character. Give your character tits and a penis and never really see either again. I guess that's important to some people.

jaysius

Banned

It only feels that way because, since Deus Ex maps are smaller, you might explore ares more intrinsically. Not to mention in HR there were like only like 2 or 3 areas that felt actually vast, with many other being almost corridors.

If you took the time to explore the night city, especially areas with missions, you'd find a very similar level of attention to detail, which is quite amazing given the much larger scale of cyberpunk.

All true, and the saddest thing is that Deus Ex is probably not going to get a fair shake at a super high budget game because of the current state of the developer.

I do love Deus Ex more, but Cyberpunk is really letting you feel like you're living a cyber punk life in a futuristic world.

I just wish cars drove better, at least for me they're all over the fucking road at almost any speed, there are 1 or 2 that drive nicely but they're rare.

I think OP enjoys cyberpunk, I do too, I think your enjoyment of cyberpunk greatly impacts how you feel about this game now that it's in a playable stable state.

I loved The Witcher 3, possibly my favourite western developed RPG to date, and played it for 170+ hours across PS4 and PC but I did not enjoy Cyberpunk 2077 at all.

I thought it was vastly overhyped in the run up to launch and ultimately disappointing personally. Played the PS4 version on my then-new PS5 and encountered numerous bugs and glitches, including whole chunks of scenery disappearing and reappearing as I rotated the camera, that just put me off playing it. Tried it on PC a little later when I picked it up cheap but felt equally underwhelmed by the game. I tried to pick it up again when the free PS5 patch arrived but, unfortunately, the damage was already done and I just could not get back into. I personally think Cyberpunk 2077 is CDPR weakest game to date, by far. It was rushed and clearly released before it was completely finished. The world feels lifeless and while the city is potentially a very interesting location, there's very few buildings you can actually go into and this just makes the game feel even more limited and artificial, certainly in comparison with The Witcher 3 where you could enter pretty much every building you could see.

I will say that I enjoyed the first 10 or so hours of the game. After that, definitely not so much. Terrible A.I. too.
In witcher 3, every shack in no mans land was exactly the same. Hooray for repeatable prefab interiors Bethesda has nothing to worry about.

its not fake, its how the game looks without contact shadows;

i tried my best, suggesting all my friends to enable contact shadows regardless of other settings. that setting should've been enabled for medium preset, even. its a big hindsight by developers (do note that, i talk about presets. so your settings can be all low but you can still enable contact shadows optionally). it is only enabled with ultra preset by default. it is enabled for all consoles (xbox one included)

Veg5VSx.png

and with low textures, it would probably look like that. so its not surprising, that much. so lets say game looks like that on low :)
So it’s not fake but it’s very disingenuous. Lol

yamaci17

So it’s not fake but it’s very disingenuous. Lol
yup. its very disingenuous. its also very disingenuous towards consoles and their users. so many so called "pcmr" people bullshitting on ps4/xbox one, sharing that screenshot about how the game looks like that on consoles. reality is, that's a crucial graphical setting that is enabled across all consoles, but it is only enabled with ultra preset on PC. and most of the PC users I bet will just use medium/high preset without much of a thought, so they most likely experienced that scene without those valuable contact shadows, which is very funny to me, despite being a pc guy myself

consoles always use crucial settings that gives you most bang for your buck. that is why I adore optimized settings. have the crucial settings on, ditch the useless settings. that should be the mentality for most PC users if they want the most lifetime out of their PC. but of course, that's a hard mentality to instill upon people when most of them are very accustomed to max out games instead

nemiroff

Gold Member
In my experience on PC it's an often a great experience with some very disappointing flaws.

Last edited:

chriskun

I find it interesting how much weight people put on “things that were promised” when judging games. Are you judging the game or the PR cycle? Makes me glad I broke out of the buying games on release and listening to gaming podcasts cycle.

This game was the reason for me getting a 3090 in 2020. But didn't stick around during its release because the game was simply trash. (Still waiting for them to finish making the game and add more content.)

Ended up playing a lot of RDR2 & Dirt Rally 2

Last edited:

BlueHawk

Neo Member
CP2077 was one of my top 5 RPGS of the last 5 years, no cap.

Amazing game but due to their greed/rushing to get it to market - it will go down as a top 5 worst game of the last 5 years. It’s always referenced to when a game goes bad.

DukeNukem00

Banned
Tell me you're on 4chan without telling me you're on 4chan.

This formulation is getting beyond obnoxious. Once the internet finds a new catchphrase, it makes sure to hammer it into oblivion. Dont really know what exactly you're trying to say there, but these are my own screenshots while playing the game. I dont use 4chan

VN1X

Banned
This formulation is getting beyond obnoxious. Once the internet finds a new catchphrase, it makes sure to hammer it into oblivion. Dont really know what exactly you're trying to say there, but these are my own screenshots while playing the game. I dont use 4chan
I'm saying you lot posting sexy polygons are weirdos. :lollipop_astonished:

Orbital2060

It is pretty awesome but I cant forgive the developers for still not understanding how to design a user interface that works well on a controller. It feels awful to navigate the menus and there is very little feedback when clicking on icons, its basically a PC ass game meant to be played with a mouse and kb where you can click around the menus easily like that. The Witcher games were the same, there I just stopped changing gear or levelling up because going into the menus with the controller drove me nuts. I never finished the Witcher because of that, but I dragged myself through CP because of the Johnny Silverhand story which felt like a 9/10 game on its own in a much bigger 6/10 game. And some of the interactions with NPC and friends were pretty good. Getting the bike from Jackie after a certain fact was a great moment. But then later in the game during a mission with Panam on the outskirts of the city there was a moment where you could forward the romance narrative with her but instead I went around the site to scavenge some stuff and in a bathroom round the corner there was a ginormous silver dildo stuck in the toilet. And it completely ruined an otherwise great storyline because I couldnt stop chuckling at the juvenile minds who thought all this lurid sex crap was a good idea.

So a very conflicted game imo, that have parts and design choices that seem incongruent and keep it from being a genuinely great game.

Next time at least I hope the studio realise they are making games for consoles, and also leave all the lewd context behind.

Last edited:

Sentenza

We are the same here.
In the sense that I also don't care about you say.

I still think Cyberpunk is at its core a terribly designed game and its issues go way past the technical shortcomings that made it notorious at launch.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
It's a simply stunning fps that feels like a half-baked rpg. I really enjoyed my first playthrough a whole lot and then upon replaying you kind of see how shallow a lot of the systems in place are and it kinda killed the momentum I had for a second playthrough. I didn't have 90% of the problems I kept seeing reported when I played it on launch on PC. I haven't give it more than 3 hours or so since it's last major update, which is kind of barely out of the starting moments, but it felt like I was about to just replay the exact same game and have the same experience and THAT killed my enthusiasm for it.

Last edited:
Deus Ex deep? Look, i loved both the first one and HR, but the original has some terrible rpg mechanics and HR's are very shallow. They can barely be called actual rpgs.
By that measure, I would say that Cyberpunk can't be called an actual RPG either. It plays like any other open world checklist collectathon, and almost none of your decisions affect anything until you simply pick your ending.

Maddux4164

By that measure, I would say that Cyberpunk can't be called an actual RPG either. It plays like any other open world checklist collectathon, and almost none of your decisions affect anything until you simply pick your ending.
After reading both posts

I’ll agree.

If you can’t call Deus Ex an RPG

Cyberpunk sure as shit isn’t one

Drizzlehell

Banned
Judy. Ahh. Judy. Think 99.9% of players (male and female) wish she was real 😂
I think she's overrated, but mostly because of her personality.

Which is kind of a sign of good writing if one can be put off by a fictional video game character this way. It's one of CP2077's strengths. Pity that the game disappointed on so many other levels.

I think she's overrated, but mostly because of her personality.

Which is kind of a sign of good writing if one can be put off by a fictional video game character this way. It's one of CP2077's strengths. Pity that the game disappointed on so many other levels.
I think Judy was written very poorly actually. There's scenes where she yells at you one second, then turns right around and says what a good person you are in the next breath. Very uneven character swings imo. She is maybe the worst main character in terms of the writing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom