• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don’t care what anyone says. Cyberpunk 2077 is amazing and should be played

I like it a lot. It hasn't captured me like the Witcher did but its pretty good. With all the hype surrounding it at release "pretty good" feels like I'm calling it dogshit, but it is what it is. Its still a solid title, I didn't have too many bugs when I was initially playing it and its only gotten more stable with all of the patches that have come out since, so I would say its in a good place now. I haven't really done much of the story because I keep restarting the game after taking long breaks from it, but I enjoy it when I'm playing it.

yamaci17

It was my Game of the Year. It'll be a game people discover in the years to come and wonder how it was overlooked. The best open world city ever made, and one hell of a tale worth enjoying more than once. Playing it on a top of the line PC is truly incredible, only RDR2 sits above it graphically, and even then, CP2077 has a scale that RDR2 doesn't approach.
with @4k dlss quality + RT GI + RT reflections, it sits above RDR 2 for me

at native 1440p with rasterization, it definetely looks worse than RDR 2. another game that TAA ruined heavily at 1440p (rdr2 is also ruined by TAA but at its core, it can still look beautiful even at 864p). at 864p, cyberpunk looks atrocious. take a look how rdr2 looks on ps4, and then take a look how cyberpunk looks on ps4. only xbox sx/ps5/rtx 2080 and above can give cyberpunk the justice when it comes to graphics, sadly (playing at 4k+dlss quality or playing with 4k lods and assets like ps5/sx does)
3gbneQo.jpg
sI0V2dI.jpg

8Z28gCh.jpg

there's something special with their GI system. it really looks beautiful and natural. that's why I was greatly saddened when I heard they'd be abandoning their engine in favor of Unreal Engine

Last edited:
Yeah, while I would love more side activities not merc related, Night City and its inhabitants are memorable as fuck. I boot it up every other day just to walk around doing a random job.

TonyK

I'm playing it just right now, 45 hours in it, and I truly think it's the worst game I played since I have the PS5 since launch. I mean, gameplay is horrible. It only consist in following icons in your map, hearing boring conversations (A LOT), and occasionally, shooting somebody with an erratic gunplay. In fact, I feel it like a visual novel with small moments of interaction.

As I loved The Witcher 3, the bad design of this game offends me. I hope CD Project will learn from this and return to the right path with their next game.

Roberts

Played it on my XsX after the last big patch. Incredible game, tbh and the open world never got old or boring. Some really cool quests and what I remember the most about it is that despite the setting and the world itself, most of the characters come off as really nice people. You don't get that often.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I have problems with the open world aspects, mostly that they suck, and combat/skills seem very unbalanced and not enjoyable to use. Story is good, except for Panam not getting it on with my girl V.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The core gameplay is definitely there as that’s my biggest appeal. I’ve played through it 4 times now and will probably do it again.

I can however see why some people are upset as it’s more akin to metal gear solid type of experience than a rpg as in if you just focus on getting to the the end you can beat it in a few hours and it’s just a bunch of cutscenes directing you to a guided path. Though you can get extra options by doing certain quests it’s all optional and it seems a lot of people can’t handle optional choices.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I enjoyed it and can't wait to go back to it once they have released all the DLC and expansions. I finished just before 1.5 came out so I'm excited for all that stuff they changed/added with that patch. I bought it day 1 on PC and yeah there was some bugs but nothing major. The most annoying (and funny) ones were V t posing naked out the roof of the car sometimes :messenger_tears_of_joy: Other than that...I think the most frustrating bug was when the map markers were goofed up but that was quickly fixed. The performance on PC was brilliant and I could even enable some RTX which I wasn't expecting to do.

A lot of people have made their mind up on the game and a lot of them probably have never even played it or don't intend to. I'm not saying the game is amazing or flawless. It has problems but it's such a great game. Characters you care about, a quite interesting story, a huge open world to explore (even if it is a bit wasted) that has a shit load of lore to get into, great combat with swords/guns and hacking/stealth.

I've played games in much worse state than Cyberpunk was at launch. Maybe it sucked on last gen consoles. They shouldn't have released it for them but at the same time I can't blame them cause that's where a lot of money was. I hope that people give it a second chance now that the next gen version is out. Not everyone will have a PS5/XSX yet but when you do get it I would recommend trying it out. It's only going to get better with the expansions if The Witcher 3 expansions were anything to go by.

Pretty game but I found it boring to play.

^ This is (exactly) me.
i finished the prologue (after the heist) and...i just can't find the courage nor the will to continue playing it.
The game feels like a slog to play with its heavy handed dialogue every 2 mins and the hand-hold-y, uber linearity of the missions .Also, the (shooting) controls are just plain shite, no matter how much you adjust the myriad of sensitivity options the freelook/aiming is either too slow or too fast (just like RDR2 and Hunt : Showdown on consoles for example)
To be honest, i don't know what i expected from the game, the dialogue could have been better though IMO as i've found it to be very forced and/or edgelord-y with its "ShiiiIIIIiiiT"/"FUCKkkKK"/EsseeeeΕΕee" every 2 seconds, maybe it gets better down the line but right now i've shelved the game since i "just can't®".

Maybe there's actually a good game hidden somewhere under the endless menus/UI, bad writing, empty/vacuous world and bad controls, glitchy/stutter-y audio bugs but i think that i'll never know and i feel like it's kind of a shame (?)
I must admit that the art-direction and graphics are very good though.

Edit : played/bought it for the XSX on sale after the 1.5 patch dropped

Last edited:
I haven't been able to bring myself to start it a 2nd time. I have no idea why I even bought it. Looks like the gameplay is not fun, and I've gotten my Cyberpunk fix through Ascent and Citizen Sleeper.

Making the game first person pretty much killed it for me.

I haven't been able to bring myself to start it a 2nd time. I have no idea why I even bought it. Looks like the gameplay is not fun, and I've gotten my Cyberpunk fix through Ascent and Citizen Sleeper.

Making the game first person pretty much killed it for me.

Yep, this too.
What's the point of having 11112859548656796 clothes (especially in a game where fashion is king just like the game also tells you) if you can't even look at your character ? And no, the horrible "activate mirror to use it" system doesn't count.

Funny , I just reinstalled it with the latest patch. I hope it's much better than I remember because I only played like 4 hours and got 3 gamebreaking bugs where I couldn't move the story forward.

Guilty_AI

Yep, this too.
What's the point of having 11112859548656796 clothes (especially in a game where fashion is king just like the game also tells you) if you can't even look at your character ? And no, the horrible "activate mirror to use it" system doesn't count.
Daggerfall:

dd0.jpg

LucasBR

It's a good game, I really liked but some stuff bothered me a lot!
The driving in this game is completely gobshite, impossible to drive the fastest cars in the game.
Melee combat is really bad, really struggled during the boxing quest.
Night City could have more life although the game's atmosphere is great.
I'd have enjoyed much more if the game was on third person.

Certinty

I mean, I played it at launch on the Series X and it was great but still with too many issues.

The amount of bugs was disgusting, never played a game even half as buggy as this. Some quite serious too which stopped me being able to complete some side quests.

But I mean besides that it was good. Game looked and played great, story was fine, characters were amazing as were the side missions for those characters.

I think people expected far too much, but without all the bugs at launch I think the game was fun enough. Glad to hear it's a lot better now though.

I loved The Witcher 3, possibly my favourite western developed RPG to date, and played it for 170+ hours across PS4 and PC but I did not enjoy Cyberpunk 2077 at all.

I thought it was vastly overhyped in the run up to launch and ultimately disappointing personally. Played the PS4 version on my then-new PS5 and encountered numerous bugs and glitches, including whole chunks of scenery disappearing and reappearing as I rotated the camera, that just put me off playing it. Tried it on PC a little later when I picked it up cheap but felt equally underwhelmed by the game. I tried to pick it up again when the free PS5 patch arrived but, unfortunately, the damage was already done and I just could not get back into. I personally think Cyberpunk 2077 is CDPR weakest game to date, by far. It was rushed and clearly released before it was completely finished. The world feels lifeless and while the city is potentially a very interesting location, there's very few buildings you can actually go into and this just makes the game feel even more limited and artificial, certainly in comparison with The Witcher 3 where you could enter pretty much every building you could see.

I will say that I enjoyed the first 10 or so hours of the game. After that, definitely not so much. Terrible A.I. too.

Last edited:
It's a good game. It doesn't have that "everything is connected" feel you get in the witcher or the random event fun of skyrim. It feels like a step back for the witcher 3 but still one of the best city designs in gaming. Just need more content.

MiguelItUp

I was fortunate enough to play it through to completion at launch with not the worst performance. I thought the game was cool, and honestly a pretty solid experience. But weeks after completing it I realized it was a pretty forgettable experience, at least for me. The beginning of the game felt the most memorable, and there are a couple of parts that stood out more than others. But I wish it just hit harder overall, it honestly deserved that.

Otre

Banned
Its a good game that fell victim to the imposible high expectations its marketing created. Its an open world modern Deus Ex. The atmosphere and graphics are fantastic, the story is just fine, the gameplay (shooting, stealth, movement and RPG leveling) is mediocre and the open world aspect is just awful. Its fun, but you can feel the game is barely holding it toghether by duct tape.

Thats 80 hours on a 3080, 5800x. By far the best version of the game.

If Human Revolution, Mankind Divided or those modern Shadowruns hadnt come out, it wouldve made a bigger impact.

Last edited:

ShakenG

Enjoying it a lot, on my second playthrough now. 1st run was basically a shooter (nomad) build and 2nd is mostly a Quick hacker (streetkid).. using contagion on everyone is hilarious, watching it spread through the whole enemy squad 😁

Doing all the side quests, gigs, are actually enjoyable, trying them from different approaches. Hacking into cams, going on rampage, slicing everyone up... quick hacking them to fight each other.. love it.

Jumping between this and GT7 has been great. Excited to see what they bring in the future, might have to do a 3rd playthrough as corpo.

stn

I loved it, personally. I started playing it on the OG XBox One when it released. Played a few hours and actually had a glitchless experience but decided to watch for patches. This year I returned to the game on a Series X, it was mostly flawless apart from a few very minor visual bugs. I'm looking forward to the expansions and DLC.

I got it on sale for $12 plus a steel case and waited 1 year for the next gen patch to play it. I never experienced any of the buggy bullshit that others had to deal with at launch, also playing on PS5 so load times were almost non existent. It's one of my favorite open world games in the past 10 years or so. Also the vibe is ON POINT. I was an industrial club kid when I was younger so this just checked all my boxes lol. On a side note, I had a friend who made his own cyberpunk-esque tabletop rpg lol. I played it once and had no idea wtf was going on... his name was "Swamp." Good times.

GenericUser

I really disliked:

- the controls (bad fps controls on console, bad menu navigation)
- keanu reeves (i usually don't like celebrities in videogames)
- the boring story (don't know, just didn't grab me or anything)
- boring skills, boring weapons
- looting enemies in general, The loot feels unrewarding.

I liked the good graphics and the driving physics.
Anyway, I dropped the game after playing like 10 to 15 hours or so. Never looked back.

ZehDon

....... stop playing the game on PS4 X1 and get a PC with decent RT capabilities.
I feel my i9 10900k and RTX 3090 is decent enough.

Where RDR2 outshines CP2077 for me is largely the extremely natural lighting RDR2 employees that adds a degree of tangibility that Cyberpunk lacks, even with the RT on psycho. Cyberpunk looks incredible in an artist way, where it's designed to look impressive, an ideal cyberpunk city, as opposed to a real place. RDR2 just feels so tangible that it's hard to not be impressed by the sheer breadth of how it looks and feels. Snow, grassy fields, dank cabin; everything feels solid, real, grounded, and for me, that gives it the edge.

Neofire

I bought this game at launch on PC

Played 30 hours and had a blast. Didn’t finish it. Let’s say stuff happened

Double dipped and got it on Xbox and playing the new patch

Put 20+ hours into the Xbox version. It’s as good or better than my previous experience

You simply don’t get this type of world in any other game. Also the soundtrack and vibe is DELICIOUS. It’s not a “GOAT”. Cmon now

But that’s a list frankly 99% of games I play aren’t on. What say you all?
v021UHY.jpg
I agree, I enjoyed this game very much on PS4 and ps5

TexMex

It’ll never not be a punching bag, and rightly so (mostly).

But it truly is great. If you can play it on ps5/series x you should. The discs are so cheap and the upgrade is free. It’s easy to get for 10-20 bucks that way, and it’s incredible.

Filben

I think they simply oversold it and didn't deliver up to their own ambitions and people's expectations they ultimately fueled in the first place.

It was a good game at release, still, if you skipped last gen versions. The state the game is in now is way better but there are still things left unfixed and maybe won't ever be fixed.

As of now what bothers me the most is the hit feedback when you get hit. So many times I'm getting damage from no apparent direction and it is really hard to tell. Add to that a relatively high input latency and fights become more chaotic than they had to.

Also, that V isn't really a great character and choices only give her/him nuance. You can't really play a corpo or something else. This is where old ass games like Bloodlines or Fallout is still miles ahead. Of course these games lean heavier to the CRPG genre than Cyberpunk and Cyberpunk's focus lies on world, setting, ambient and vibes (too bad they didn't captured that with an amazing cover shot and used the most generic cover ever).

I'm still some 30 hours in and it's cool but not close to being GOTY.

samoilaaa

oh man where do i start
missing features
lack of meaningful choices and consequences
boring characters
dead city filled with npcs that have zombie AI
cringy dialog
and the list goes on and on

witcher 3 is one of my fav rpgs of all time ( might be even no1 ) but this games is nothing even close to that

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
A solid 7.5 campaign with a 4 open World. The World looks nice but it’s awful in terms of NPC’s and side quests and activities when it comes to other big AAA open World games.

It could have been a 10 if they gave the developers another 18 months to cook it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The Cyberpunk hate lasted for a second and still sold millions, the game isn't going to be in anyone's top 10 games of all time lists, it's a decent game that was taken advantage of by reviewers over a game just needing a patch.

GymWolf

I enjoyed my first 80 hours run at launch, maybe i was lucky but on pc i had way kess bugs than other games like dying light 2 or any bethesda\ubisoft game at launch.

I'm gonna do a second run with different choices when they are finish to patch the game to fix game systems etc.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I couldn't even stand the free trial they offered earlier this year. Bad driving, bad shooting, bad writing.

Roxkis_ii

The game is fun and somewhat immersive. I enjoy the freedom they give you on how to handle missions. I just wish it was a new game plus to make it easier on people trying to get the extra special ending.

Haggard

Banned
I feel my i9 10900k and RTX 3090 is decent enough.

Where RDR2 outshines CP2077 for me is largely the extremely natural lighting RDR2 employees that adds a degree of tangibility that Cyberpunk lacks, even with the RT on psycho. Cyberpunk looks incredible in an artist way, where it's designed to look impressive, an ideal cyberpunk city, as opposed to a real place. RDR2 just feels so tangible that it's hard to not be impressed by the sheer breadth of how it looks and feels. Snow, grassy fields, dank cabin; everything feels solid, real, grounded, and for me, that gives it the edge.
That`s setting you are talking about, not graphics(tech). The prior is kinda up to individual taste, the latter is objective and CP 2077 is simply the game with the newer high end tech.

Last edited:
It never lived up to the hype. But really... how could any game live up to that kind of hype?

The game world itself, the atmosphere, the setting... that shit was on point! But everything else was pretty standard. I forget who said it, but they described it as a "first person GTA, set in a neon future that give you more character dating options" I was like, yea that's kind of an apt description. It's a good game, it's just not what it was hyped up to be. I think I saw ppl talking about it like it was going to be a greatest Open World RPG ever, it was going to be a game changer all before it was released.

I think we could have all enjoyed the game a lot more if it wasn't mad hyped. Ppl hated on it just solely based on hype.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I agree its quite good now, but im not going to give them a pass for the broken promises, and launching incomplete and broken

Top Bottom