• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don’t care what anyone says. Cyberpunk 2077 is amazing and should be played

Maddux4164

I bought this game at launch on PC

Played 30 hours and had a blast. Didn’t finish it. Let’s say stuff happened

Double dipped and got it on Xbox and playing the new patch

Put 20+ hours into the Xbox version. It’s as good or better than my previous experience

You simply don’t get this type of world in any other game. Also the soundtrack and vibe is DELICIOUS. It’s not a “GOAT”. Cmon now

But that’s a list frankly 99% of games I play aren’t on. What say you all?
v021UHY.jpg

Maddux4164

It’s alright once you’re not playing on last gen. Some elements of the game are 10/10, others are 5/10. Lots of promised stuff was either missing or misrepresented in terms of scope and depth. Overall I’d say… 7/10 maybe?
Not a bad quick summation

My PC not sure how it’s considered

GTX 1070 and 16gb ram etc

My Xbox is an Xbox one X (not series)

But it’s still a pretty game and I’m having a blast once again as I did on PC. No… it’s not revolutionary or anything. It’s a very fun RPG/FPS in a setting we don’t see often in gaming

bbeach123

I wish the game start more... Slowly . Like gta san andrea or rdr2 slow . You get introduce to the city , the npcs , the mission .

But no , they throw you into the world , npc you dont know bombard you with phone call , the map give you hundreds of quests . Its overwhelming , I didnt feel immersive into the world .

Last edited:

Maddux4164

I wish the game start more... Slowly . Like gta san andrea or rdr2 slow . You get introduce to the city , the npcs , the mission .

But no , they throw you into the world , npc you dont know bombard you with phone call , the map give you hundreds of quests . Its overwhelming , I didnt feel immersive into the world .
Whew. RDR2 is AWFUL for about an hour (due to the start) as is Skyrim.

I HATE the way those games started. Honestly Cyberpunk starts slow also. Takes about an hour or so before you get “released” into the world and can do what you want.

TrebleShot

You know what I got it when it in the sale and its a good game, not the shit show people made out.
But I will say it hardly keeps my attention, Ive been burning through the main campaign and trying to get it done.

V impressed with the world they have built and environment. But Its an open world first person shooter, there isn't too much they can do to really innovate, my point is there isn't much here going on that I haven't seen before.

Chukhopops

Yeah it’s excellent, makes me wish CDPR had waited a year more to launch it. The scope of the game, the characters, the stories and the world building are just unparalleled.

I think the generation will end before there exists a more ambitious game.

Maddux4164

You know what I got it when it in the sale and its a good game, not the shit show people made out.
But I will say it hardly keeps my attention, Ive been burning through the main campaign and trying to get it done.

V impressed with the world they have built and environment. But Its an open world first person shooter, there isn't too much they can do to really innovate, my point is there isn't much here going on that I haven't seen before.
Wish there was more interaction frankly myself. As a launch player, this was my expectations.

tommib

I played half of it on PS4 pro and the other half with the PS5 patch.

Loved driving around, the music, the nightclubs but there are still too many bugs that take me out of the experience. I had so many bugs on main missions and with critical dialogue scenes. Like people floating, heads turning like the exorcist, NPCs appearing/disappearing… it’s too much. It’s too ambitious and very hard to QA.

Maddux4164

I played half of it on PS4 pro and the other half with the PS5 patch.

Loved driving around, the music, the nightclubs but there are still too many bugs that take me out of the experience. I had so many bugs on main missions and with critical dialogue scenes. Like people floating, heads turning like the exorcist, NPCs appearing/disappearing… it’s too much. It’s too ambitious and very hard to QA.
Def won’t carry water for this game and bugs

Maybe I’m an idiot (that’s possible) or don’t notice unless it’s game breaking (had a game breaking mission bug on PC at launch)

But haven’t had many bugs that I can point out. No doubt I’m sure if I gazed at every detail I’m sure I’d see it. But I’m likely just a shill and loser who can’t tell a bug from a feature 😂

Maddux4164

Yeah it’s excellent, makes me wish CDPR had waited a year more to launch it. The scope of the game, the characters, the stories and the world building are just unparalleled.

I think the generation will end before there exists a more ambitious game.
Ambition wise… can’t think of anything in development that would have such. Witcher 4? GTA 6? Starfield? ES 6? Those would be the big hitters that I can name. They BETTER deliver.

Sadly probably won’t see any of those until 2023 (late and starfield) the rest I’d say 2025-2027 era.

We will be waiting until PS6 launch for them

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It’s alright once you’re not playing on last gen. Some elements of the game are 10/10, others are 5/10. Lots of promised stuff was either missing or misrepresented in terms of scope and depth. Overall I’d say… 7/10 maybe?

This about sums it up for me. I had a shockingly bug-free experience on a good PC at launch. I absolutely loved some of the characters, bits of the story, the world itself - but as a video game it really wasn't that great at all. 7.5 for me.

It has some very great characters, well-written quests, and solid gunplay. However the open-world aspect is poor compared to games like GTA5 or even Witcher 3. There are no interesting side games like Gwent to partake in and if you look past the nice decor, you'll see that the streets are pretty lifeless. Also, we were promised a deep RPG experience with life paths, yet the game plays like a normal 3rd person shooter with tacked on RPG elements. Mass Effect 3 was more of an RPG than this game IMO

Maddux4164

It has some very great characters, well-written quests, and solid gunplay. However the open-world aspect is poor compared to games like GTA5 or even Witcher 3. There are no interesting side games like Gwent to partake in and if you look past the nice decor, you'll see that the streets are pretty lifeless. Also, we were promised a deep RPG experience with life paths, yet the game plays like a normal 3rd person shooter with tacked on RPG elements. Mass Effect 3 was more of an RPG than this game IMO
Hard to pick much apart. Could. But I see where you’re going.

killatopak

Gold Member
I like the game.

There’s very few games in the cyberpunk genre more so AAA ones. My experience was practically bug free and I played on last gen so I guess I was lucky. Bought it and played it day 1 too.

Nydius

Agreed with all of this.

Night City is beautiful, there's some decent characters, but the open world and the RPG is just middling at best.
For all its beauty, Night City just feels... dead.

Games like GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas offered so much more distractions than Cyberpunk did. I kept waiting to find things like recreational braindances or minigames to play... but all they ever really gave us were JoyToys and bars. Didn't really have any wonder of discovery either. And when they did finally add apartments to buy, they put forth the bare minimum. The apartments really aren't all that interesting. Ooo I can pretend to play guitar in one and shoot a single pool ball in another.

It's an okay game. But could have been so much more.

Maddux4164

I like the game.

There’s very few games in the cyberpunk genre more so AAA ones. My experience was practically bug free and I played on last gen so I guess I was lucky. Bought it and played it day 1 too.
See this is what I mean. We never ever get to play a cyberpunk game

They really don’t exist

So this was much needed and I’m impressed by it. Again is it a GOAT? Hell no. It’s definitely fun and well worth playing for fans of:

FPS
RPG
Story
Cyberpunk era
High production

Maddux4164

Agreed with all of this.

Night City is beautiful, there's some decent characters, but the open world and the RPG is just middling at best.
For all its beauty, Night City just feels... dead.

Games like GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas offered so much more distractions than Cyberpunk did. I kept waiting to find things like recreational braindances or minigames to play... but all they ever really gave us were JoyToys and bars. Didn't really have any wonder of discovery either. And when they did finally add apartments to buy, they put forth the bare minimum. The apartments really aren't all that interesting. Ooo I can pretend to play guitar in one and shoot a single pool ball in another.

It's an okay game. But could have been so much more.
If they ever expanded on “interactive” level

Whew. This game would be revolutionary frankly.

Certainly GTA5, RDR2, San Andreas, hell… Bully… are FAR beyond this game when it comes to street level interaction

Gandih42

It seemed to my like there was always a pretty great game buried under the launch disaster. I'm thinking I might need a breather from the Souls-genre once I finish Elden Ring, I figured this could be it. Anyone have experience with it on PS5? I honestly don't care too much about the visual fidelity, but I'd like it to run good.

Nice to know people are really enjoying it, despite the massive shitstorm it initially caused.

Maddux4164

It seemed to my like there was always a pretty great game buried under the launch disaster. I'm thinking I might need a breather from the Souls-genre once I finish Elden Ring, I figured this could be it. Anyone have experience with it on PS5? I honestly don't care too much about the visual fidelity, but I'd like it to run good.

Nice to know people are really enjoying it, despite the massive shitstorm it initially caused.
Well, no PS5 experience and you’d be in for a treat in next gen

I’m 25 hours in on Xbox One X and have 30 hours on my PC (GTX 1070)

So as far as frames and resolution… you are golden. Because I’ve seen a very smooth game in my 60 hours combined experience

Maddux4164

Also funny you mentioned “souls breather”

As I’ve finished DS on switch recently and currently playing Elden Ring (LOVE IT)

So yea. It’s a good departure from a game like a Souls genre one

Also you get RT and all the fancy stuff on PS5 Cyberpunk 2077

I bought this game at launch on PC

Played 30 hours and had a blast. Didn’t finish it. Let’s say stuff happened

Double dipped and got it on Xbox and playing the new patch

Put 20+ hours into the Xbox version. It’s as good or better than my previous experience

You simply don’t get this type of world in any other game. Also the soundtrack and vibe is DELICIOUS. It’s not a “GOAT”. Cmon now

But that’s a list frankly 99% of games I play aren’t on. What say you all?
v021UHY.jpg
Played the free trial on series s, ashame it wasnt 60fps but 30 will do, loved the way convos in the gane worked, pretry innovative if you ask me, then once the combat started thats when i uninstalled the game, never experienced any glitches but it literally felt like eurojank but in a fps, felt very odd, could kinda tell enemys would become bullet sponges later game

TwiztidElf

I agree OP. 8/10 game for me.
I played the PS4 version on PS5 at launch, and enjoyed it, bugs and all, despite not really liking the Cyberpunk setting.
Then replayed through on the PS5 recently and had a good time with it. Played as a male V this second time, with a completely different build, and got to see all the Panam stuff. 👍

Not justifying the bugs in the original release, as they're unforgivable, but they can be talked away within the rules of the world.
T stance? Side effect of a popular drug.
Cars going through buildings? NPC's teleporting? Who's to say they can't? Or maybe the main character is hallucinating? Or just holograms?

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I finally permanently deleted the game last Saturday, after the disappointing next gen update. CDPR will never touch my wallet again.

5uHzQNM.gif

Maddux4164

I agree OP. 8/10 game for me.
I played the PS4 version on PS5 at launch, and enjoyed it, bugs and all, despite not really liking the Cyberpunk setting.
Then replayed through on the PS5 recently and had a good time with it. Played as a male V this second time, with a completely different build, and got to see all the Panam stuff. 👍

Not justifying the bugs in the original release, as they're unforgivable, but they can be talked away within the rules of the world.
T stance? Side effect of a popular drug.
Cars going through buildings? NPC's teleporting? Who's to say they can't? Or maybe the main character is hallucinating? Or just holograms?
Yeah. Not excusing a SHIT launch by such a beloved Dev

But I’ve so far got 60 hours in on PC and Xbox combined

My experience was likely much different from launch base console owners even with my “lowly” GTX 1070.

But it was a blast. It absolutely can be improved and it’s WORTH improving also.

Fun romp. It’s cheap now. Many patches. Definitely a good time to give it a go

Winter John

I've played a couple of hours. It was ok but I decided I'm gonna wait until all the expansions are done and it's complete.

If they really want to do right by the game and repair the hit to their rep after all the fiasco, they should spend an entire year of development adding the major missing things people want to the game, and have it as a 'free expansion'.

1) Make the city interactive by adding the cool activities in buildings, on the street etc that people expected to have. They should go all out with this and add braindances, vendors selling unique new stuff, mini games etc. Even smaller things that bugged me like all of those street food vendors outside your initial apartment block who are non-interactive... why can't you buy a diverse range of food and drinks from them? Basic 101 stuff missing.
2) AI should be very heavily improved - NPC AI and police AI.

Unfortunately they might need to exclude those additions from the last gen versions as they're beyond their limit, but so be it. Once they've added those, I think the game would be elevated so greatly that they could make some excellent story DLC adding new narratives, cars, weapons etc and people would want to buy them.

Raphael

Fantastic game. The open world elements sucked mostly however. You can see with the sheer scale of the city the devs initially wanted a lot more from it but had to cut down, and cut down a lot to the point where apart from the main character questlines you are left with ubi style map ticks.

If they would have scrapped old gen and given it 2 more years to hone the side content it would have been up there among the goats.

Still at least an 8/10 for me and looking forward to the expansion.

Recently finished it again, my impressions remain the same, tho it's a shame what CDPR could've done with it. It has one of the best atmospheres out there, prolly the best, and the main/side quests and its characters are all very memorable. People who say the gameplay is shit simply have no idea how to play the game or make it fun, which is what makes immersive sims great. I honestly dont see how unleashing a massive corruption and a cyberpsychosis quickhacks on a bunch of enemies and just silently watch the chaos unfold isnt fun? Or how you can just go with melee build, slowmo and just cut off their heads with a samurai sword or a monowire. The jankynes of it will never get fixed if thats what ppl are expecting, even Witcher 3 was janky.

Melon Husk

I read the title as "Cyberpunk 2077 is amazing and should be delayed"
Recently finished it again, my impressions remain the same, tho it's a shame what CDPR could've done with it. It has one of the best atmospheres out there, prolly the best, and the main/side quests and its characters are all very memorable. People who say the gameplay is shit simply have no idea how to play the game or make it fun, which is what makes immersive sims great. I honestly dont see how unleashing a massive corruption and a cyberpsychosis quickhacks on a bunch of enemies and just silently watch the chaos unfold isnt fun? Or how you can just go with melee build, slowmo and just cut off their heads with a samurai sword or a monowire. The jankynes of it will never get fixed if thats what ppl are expecting, even Witcher 3 was janky.
Playing through the main story once as Cyberninja probably does the game most justice

Last edited:

yamaci17

I read the title as "Cyberpunk 2077 is amazing and should be delayed"

Playing through the story once as Cyberninja probably does the game most justice
yup playing the game lika a cheap borderlands clone will derail the game's fun greatly. gunplay is not that great. it could've been better, sadly its not

stealth, katana, mantis blades, quickhacks, sandevistan... now that's where the gameplay value is at.

to me story is exceptional. far better and more original than most of the "sony exclusive" games (i'm making the comparison because it is relevant. we see people praising how good their stories are but somehow Cyberpunk's story does not get attention from them. it is a very interesting behaviour to observe. as a matter of fact, i've did some researching and some people here who keep downplaying about how the story is not great somehow thinks uncharted series have great and exceptional stories. to me, cyberpunk provides 2x more story value than any ND game there is. truly, people are not investing into the story, and they think it is the game's fault. well it is not. it is your personal preference. it does not devalue the game's exceptional story. it is a story told beautifully through well crafted characters and dialogues. )

its a decent 8.5/10 game for me. wish it had similar choice trees Witcher 3. and a better gunplay. then it would be a masterpiece class of game. sadly its not in its current form. not being able to change how the story actually evolves was a thing i missed mostly coming from w3

Last edited:

ZehDon

It was my Game of the Year. It'll be a game people discover in the years to come and wonder how it was overlooked. The best open world city ever made, and one hell of a tale worth enjoying more than once. Playing it on a top of the line PC is truly incredible, only RDR2 sits above it graphically, and even then, CP2077 has a scale that RDR2 doesn't approach.

Top Bottom