• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolby Vision Gaming Now Available on Xbox Series XIS

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
When the fuck will Dolby Vision come to pc.
I've looked around. there is not even a hacky donky media player to do it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I remember getting a UHD Blu-ray player for Dolby Vision, after all this time I only have a few films that actually have it.
Even the film's Disney have on Disney+ with DV don't have Dolby Vision on the UHD Blu-ray version.
It's nice to have, but it's not as widely used as they make out, mainly streaming services use it.

elliot5

When the fuck will Dolby Vision come to pc.
I've looked around. there is not even a hacky donky media player to do it.
i thought it was on PC, just very limited games supported it. Like didn't Andromeda support it? I know Halo Infinite will on PC, too.

GHG

Gold Member
i thought it was on PC, just very limited games supported it. Like didn't Andromeda support it? I know Halo Infinite will on PC, too.

That's standard HDR, not DV.

You might be thinking of Dolby Atmos?

Last edited:

wvnative

I can't get this to work on my E7. What games work?

Tried Forza Horizon 4 and NFS payback since it sounded like with DV enabled auto HDR would use that, but no matter what I try they both boot into HDR10.

I'm reinstalling gears 5 at the moment and will try that when it's done.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One of these days Ill look into a new sound system or home theatre. My current one is like 10 years old and is 5.1 channel sound.

I'm not an audiophile, so maybe I couldnt even tell the difference with the new Dolby stuff like Atmos, but I know my system is limited to Dolby DTS and Prologic according to settings.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Warning if you have your Xbox set to 120hz and use Dolby vision you will get a lot of color banding on LG tvs I have found it’s not really been worth it

Allandor

More specifically, media app. Still not got DV for uhd's.
Ah, yes.. there was something ...
But I also use amazon/disney/netflix of my tv. I don't see the need to use 60-80W additional power for those streaming services ;)

This is what I was wondering.
How is the input lag in Dolby Vision for gaming with Sony TV's?
The picture looks great, but the lag is really awful. Made this experience with the Mafia Remake. Once the xbox had this update, the visual were even better but it wasn't playable and mafia is already not a really fast shooter.

Last edited:
It has UHD drive, but doesn't support Dolby Vision playback of UHD disks that support it.
Correct. The general consensus is that UHD discs will be the last generation of physical media (ever) before the studios switch to all streaming. Which sucks because the bandwidth isn’t there yet to support streaming the way I like it (no artifacting and hearing the full audio track the way the director intended it).

Plantoid

..Do you not understand how the xsx hz setting works? It's system wide, so even if a game is 30fps, the TV will still receive a 120hz signal.
Being at the native hz for the tv produces the absolute lowest input lag possible, even allowing the use of non-game modes without much problems.
At other hz settings, like 60, the input lag rises sharply outside of game modes.
Many tvs don't have a game mode for dolby vision, so no it's not a "great feature to enjoy 60fps gaming" when your experience is literally worsened by much higher input lag.

e3IhfSi.png

90ms... no thanks.
Quickly, write an email for MS, they must know this.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I hope this works out. I know that Dolby Vision is supposed to look better and all, but on my TV it just takes it to a darkness level that is just too much for me, no matter how "realistic" the tones are.

Artistic

Pretty sure I've seen the Dolby Vision pop up on my screen when playing on my Series X already. Not sure I noticed a difference though.

Kuranghi

With DV movies they are specifically graded on a per-scene basis.

Most TV's will give you 2 options for DV, DV bright and DV dark. I don't know of any TV's that have a specific DV game mode.

Did you mean to reply to me? I agree with both things but I don't understand whats thats to do with what I wrote. Not trying to be a nobber, I just don't understand.

FrankieSab

I hope this works out. I know that Dolby Vision is supposed to look better and all, but on my TV it just takes it to a darkness level that is just too much for me, no matter how "realistic" the tones are.
Just calibrate the tv settings to your liking. Normally you have more that one type of settings for dv to begin with.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just calibrate the tv settings to your liking. Normally you have more that one type of settings for dv to begin with.

Yep even the brightest mode is still a bit dull.
I know I'm not alone in this one, it's a sony thing, many have complained.

Fredrik

Just tried it on my Sony XE9305, played some Ori WotW. Eyeball melting brightness. HDTVtest said it was unplayable on Sony TVs because of latency, but I don’t know, I guess I’m immune. I have a Marantz AVR between the console and TV as well which I assume add latency too, could still do some spirit trials no prob.
Not sure I like the insane brightness though.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Anyone know why its not working for me? I have an lg c8 but for some reason it wont activate even though its checked in the menu

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Can you get Dolby Vision for PC at all? This will make my decision on whether I get Forza Horizon 5 on PC or Xbox.

YCoCg

Quickly, write an email for MS, they must know this.
I'm sure they do know, it's on the TV makers now to push down the latency response when Dolby Vision is used for a games console. They'll get there eventually, HDR used to add a lot of latency before pretty much most current models reduced that.

It was only dolby vision playback for movies. Now it is also available for games.
Looks great but my x900h does not support a game-mode with Dolby vision enabled. Latencies are much to high to play with it. Had to disable Dolby vision on my xbox because of that. Well I don't have a BR with dolby vision so this shouldn't be a problem. But I really want that update, but I guess sony won't add such a mode as the PS5 does not support dolby vision.

I turned off all the processing available on my XH90 (UK version of X900H) and it still felt laggy. Would the VRR/ALLM update that's due to come at the end of the year eliminate the lag.

GHG

Gold Member
Did you mean to reply to me? I agree with both things but I don't understand whats thats to do with what I wrote. Not trying to be a nobber, I just don't understand.

Yeh, not disputing anything you said but was mostly addressing what your wrote about grading in your first paragraph, it was just expanding on what you said and clarifying the situation regarding how grading is done for movies.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Correct. The general consensus is that UHD discs will be the last generation of physical media (ever) before the studios switch to all streaming. Which sucks because the bandwidth isn’t there yet to support streaming the way I like it (no artifacting and hearing the full audio track the way the director intended it).
there doesn't need to be anything past UHD, 8k is too fine to notice much difference unless you have a huge screen, which will never be mass-market priced.. There's a market for UHD, like there is for vinyl. - for specialty labels - Arrow, Vinegar Syndrome etc. - there are enthusiasts who will pay.

Reactions: GHG

YCoCg

there doesn't need to be anything past UHD, 8k is too fine to notice much difference unless you have a huge screen,
Let's be honest, it's not the first time we've heard this, before you know it there's going to be 110''+ at consumer level and 4k will be struggling and movie studios will start pushing 8k upscales of their 2k Digital Masters.

skneogaf

uZt6zqf.jpg

its not just dolby vision but is made specifically for gaming so has the same input lag as normal game mode.

Hopefully it will become popular as dolby atmos is really underutilised, especially as its absolutely amazing when used.

Microsoft games usually have dolby atmos so I believe they will also support dolby vision as standard now.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Pointless unless TVs start supporting dolby vision + game mode
They already do.

On topic. Tried it Ori and the will of the wisps. DV had a bit more richness in the colors but it was a bit too much compared to HGIG.

Granted I hadn't calibrated the in game HDR settings to DV.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's nice to have, but it's not as widely used as they make out, mainly streaming services use it.
That's where most people consume their media these days, not physical discs.

Anyone know a good game to test this with? My LG OLED has dolby vision and it's amazing for movies so keen to see it for games.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That's where most people consume their media these days, not physical discs.
I know and it's a shame, the difference is staggering.
And I don't think it's just down to bitrates either.
I watched Loki for several episodes which was advertised as 4k DV on Disney+
and it was definitely DV, showed and everything.
But the picture wasn't right, it looked like a soft 1080p
So out of curiosity I downloaded a 4k HDR version and...yep! That's was definitely 4k
But that was clearly from the same source
Same with films I seen on streaming services to see if they're worth the upgrade to 4k and upon getting the 4k version the quality jumps again.
It's mind-blowing how much lower the quality "can" be between the Streaming and physical is.
I recently found out that they don't even use the same masters for streaming and UHD discs.
All the Star Wars films and Marvel films are completely different on Disney+ to the UHD versions.

Top Bottom