• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolby Vision Gaming Now Available on Xbox Series XIS

Bartski

Gold Member

How Series XIS and Dolby Vision make your gaming experience better

Dolby Vision takes gaming to the next level through incredible brightness, color, contrast, and detail. Games in Dolby Vision automatically map to any display that supports Dolby Vision, delivering players the benefit of seeing the best possible picture available. Dolby Vision is also compatible with next-generation features available on Xbox Series X|S such as DirectX Raytracing, automatic low-latency mode (ALLM), Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), and up to 120FPS depending on the capabilities of your TV.

• Gaming in Dolby Vision launches today on Xbox Series X|S. More than 100 next-gen HDR titles optimized for Series X|S are available now or coming soon in Dolby Vision.
  • In addition, thousands of classic HDR10 and Auto HDR games will benefit from improved picture quality through new Dolby Vision enhancement on Xbox Series X|S
  • Xbox Series X|S are the first game consoles to support gaming in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, which enhance gameplay with both full-spectrum visuals and immersive audio.
  • Dolby Vision is compatible with next-generation features available on Xbox Series X|S such as DirectX Raytracing, Automatic low-latency mode (ALLM), Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), and up to 120FPS.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

oh yeah snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I thought it was already available since launch

-_-

HDR has been available but not the Dolby vision brand of HDR

Reizo Ryuu

Only tvs with some kind of custom EDID support dolby vision and 120hz at the same time.
Which means it's not worth it for all other tvs because, AFAIK, in those cases dolby vision doesn't have a "game mode", which of course translates to huge input lag at 60hz.

Kuranghi

Sorry to be negative off the bat but isn't this like Auto HDR but to enhance already existing HDR10 outputs instead of to go from SDR to HDR10? I know thats definitely a better starting point but really something has to be graded in DV to get the benefits afaik, games are definitely different from movies in how you can manipulate the engines internal workflow but judging from Auto HDR I don't think they can really affect it as much as you'd think, which is fair enough since it would be a nightmare to standardise a system that works with all engines/workflows.

I'm aware thats not the same thing as Auto HDR but as far as I've seen the resulting output is bad just in a different ways between them: PS5 elevates blacks and stretches the whites up too high and makes for an unpleasnt output imo, whereas Auto HDR on Xbox makes things looks like you have dynamic tonemapping on the TV except probably not as good as whats in your TV, which is better than the PS5 method but still rubbish imo, I'd just turn it off and stick with SDR.

Obviously some TVs don't have very good dynamic tonemapping so you'd think thats a boon for them but the crossover of that and it just being a bad set for HDR (eg same brightness output in HDR as SDR, no FALD backlight, poor panel quality or having a FALD but its slow to react and leads to visible cloud/bloom trails around the screen when you move the camera quickly) is almost 100% so you shouldn't be using HDR on those sets if you want a great picture anyway, let alone Auto HDR.

When devs start 9/10 times (instead of 5/10) getting real HDR output looking as good as the SDR in every way via experience, calibration tools and standards then I think its time to think about Auto HDR solutions, right now it just seems bad in every way to me, I see no upsides to it and you could have a better time turning your backlight to the max you can stand in the dark in SDR mode.

TL;DR - Don't use this or Auto HDR if you don't have a FALD LCD at least, it will only give you worse picture quality from blooming light in the dark areas and overall elevated black level due to backlight having to be at max in HDR mode but the TV not being able to dim down the dark/black parts of the screen in zones like an FALD or OLED can.

Last edited:

PrimeX

Thought Dolby Vision is only for movies but is nice to hear they developed a standard also for gaming. Hopefully is not the same as movies, I would hate gaming with movie bland standard.

Reizo Ryuu

Jesus dudes... Not every game is 120hz, great feature to enjoy 60fps gaming
..Do you not understand how the xsx hz setting works? It's system wide, so even if a game is 30fps, the TV will still receive a 120hz signal.
Being at the native hz for the tv produces the absolute lowest input lag possible, even allowing the use of non-game modes without much problems.
At other hz settings, like 60, the input lag rises sharply outside of game modes.
Many tvs don't have a game mode for dolby vision, so no it's not a "great feature to enjoy 60fps gaming" when your experience is literally worsened by much higher input lag.

e3IhfSi.png

90ms... no thanks.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Sorry to be negative off the bat but isn't this like Auto HDR but to enhance already existing HDR10 outputs instead of to go from SDR to HDR10? I know thats definitely a better starting point but really something has to be graded in DV to get the benefits afaik, games are definitely different from movies in how you can manipulate the engines internal workflow but judging from Auto HDR I don't think they can really affect it as much as you'd think, which is fair enough since it would be a nightmare to standardise a system that works with all engines/workflows.

I'm aware thats not the same thing as Auto HDR but as far as I've seen the resulting output is bad just in a different ways between them: PS5 elevates blacks and stretches the whites up too high and makes for an unpleasnt output imo, whereas Auto HDR on Xbox makes things looks like you have dynamic tonemapping on the TV except probably not as good as whats in your TV, which is better than the PS5 method but still rubbish imo, I'd just turn it off and stick with SDR.

Obviously some TVs don't have very good dynamic tonemapping so you'd think thats a boon for them but the crossover of that and it just being a bad set for HDR (eg same brightness output in HDR as SDR, no FALD backlight, poor panel quality or having a FALD but its slow to react and leads to visible cloud/bloom trails around the screen when you move the camera quickly) is almost 100% so you shouldn't be using HDR on those sets if you want a great picture anyway, let alone Auto HDR.

When devs start 9/10 times (instead of 5/10) getting real HDR output looking as good as the SDR in every way via experience, calibration tools and standards then I think its time to think about Auto HDR solutions, right now it just seems bad in every way to me, I see no upsides to it and you could have a better time turning your backlight to the max you can stand in the dark in SDR mode.

TL;DR - Don't use this or Auto HDR if you don't have a FALD LCD at least, it will only give you worse picture quality from blooming light in the dark areas and overall elevated black level due to backlight having to be at max in HDR mode but the TV not being able to dim down the dark/black parts of the screen in zones like an FALD or OLED can.

With DV movies they are specifically graded on a per-scene basis.

Most TV's will give you 2 options for DV, DV bright and DV dark. I don't know of any TV's that have a specific DV game mode.

Fredrik

Cool, I will try this after work, my 4yo Sony TV managed to surprise me with 120hz, let’s see if it can do Dolby Vision gaming too.

reksveks

One thing to keep in mind is that in the end he says that currency games (at least those he tested) are just converted to DV by Xbox Series X and not built natively to support DV (yet). I hope he does a new video when those games come (Halo first?).
Yeah, I am hoping that FH5 and MSFS will add native support soon but might be a reason Halo got called out.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
With DV movies they are specifically graded on a per-scene basis.

Most TV's will give you 2 options for DV, DV bright and DV dark. I don't know of any TV's that have a specific DV game mode.
Few of the LG OLEDS do. 2018 series if I remember right.

There was as issue with ALLM being off during the testing of DV on Series X/S but I dont think it was ever determined if it was a software thing on the Xbox, TV or both. I have to assume the DV 120FPS patch/update will come with ALLM support but nothing is guaranteed with LG.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

TrebleShot

Great feature, DV really should be the industry standard, hoping this comes to PS5 in a year when their marketing deal ends with MS

ManaByte

Great feature, DV really should be the industry standard, hoping this comes to PS5 in a year when their marketing deal ends with MS

I don't think it's a licensing deal. Dolby requires a licensing fee to be paid to them for both Atmos and DV (and there's also a certification process for the hardware). That's why the Dolby Atmos for Headphones codec is a $20 purchase; that's the Dolby licensing. MS doesn't seem to have an issue with that, whereas Sony seems to have decided to not support it and instead make their own 3D audio format with Tempest to avoid having to pay the licensing to Dolby.

TrebleShot

I don't think it's a licensing deal. Dolby requires a licensing fee to be paid to them for both Atmos and DV (and there's also a certification process for the hardware). That's why the Dolby Atmos for Headphones codec is a $20 purchase; that's the Dolby licensing. MS doesn't seem to have an issue with that, whereas Sony seems to have decided to not support it and instead make their own 3D audio format with Tempest to avoid having to pay the licensing to Dolby.
Sorry that’s what I was referring to, but somewhere not sure where I am sure I read that Sony would have been happy to pay it but they have a marketing deal with Dolby for 2 years until after launch hence Sony was forced to make their own.
Could be BS.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Jesus dudes... Not every game is 120hz, great feature to enjoy 60fps gaming
huh? Ratchet has a 40 fps mode for its 120 hz displays.

You do know you can play 30 fps games in 120 hz mode and you get faster response times?

reksveks

Sorry that’s what I was referring to, but somewhere not sure where I am sure I read that Sony would have been happy to pay it but they have a marketing deal with Dolby for 2 years until after launch hence Sony was forced to make their own.
Could be BS.
There was the incorrect post from xbox France and that said it was exclusive however they backtracked on that.

I think Sony just doesn't want to pay for third party licenses that they don't have to. They don't support DV in media apps yet.

Andodalf

Banned
Could be BS.
This was a hot spicy story so a lot of people ran with it, but it’s completely untrue. MS has a marketing deal but that in no way prevents anyone else from having the product. It’s like saying Sony having marketing for Cod means the game can’t come to Xbox. Obviously silly.

ManaByte

Could be BS.

That 2 year thing was a bogus story that was quickly revoked.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Could be BS.

That was already debunked. There is no marketing deal between MS and Dolby. PlayStation can implement it any day now. The only big improvement i see with DV for gaming is that you don't have to bother with HDR settings anymore. But atm not a huge difference with HDR10.

legacy24

Just tried this and got very bad input lag unless your tv has a specific DV game mode it's not worth it imo another thing is that no game has been natively made using DV so we won't see the true difference between this and HDR10 until that happens.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
The more features the better, but what about the dashboard tho? We know 4K res is coming as per the insiders update, but an HDR would've been welcomed as well. Just slap the Auto-HDR feature on it and we're good to go to have a seamless HDR experience.

Last edited:
I'd have to turn off the 120 hz console setting to use this, so it's not for me. Maybe when I buy a new TV next year or so.

thatJohann

Just tried Dolby Vision gaming on my LG B7 OLED and I did notice a bit of extra input lag on Dolby Vision game mode. Puzzled as I thought I had read that on LG B7 OLEDs, the input lag on both HDR10 and Dolby Vision when using Game Mode was the same. Will have to do further testing. For reference I tried Halo 3 campaign on MCC. It did look better on my eyes, tho.

Allandor

I thought it was already available since launch

-_-
It was only dolby vision playback for movies. Now it is also available for games.
Looks great but my x900h does not support a game-mode with Dolby vision enabled. Latencies are much to high to play with it. Had to disable Dolby vision on my xbox because of that. Well I don't have a BR with dolby vision so this shouldn't be a problem. But I really want that update, but I guess sony won't add such a mode as the PS5 does not support dolby vision.

emilegc

It was only dolby vision playback for movies. Now it is also available for games.
Looks great but my x900h does not support a game-mode with Dolby vision enabled. Latencies are much to high to play with it. Had to disable Dolby vision on my xbox because of that. Well I don't have a BR with dolby vision so this shouldn't be a problem. But I really want that update, but I guess sony won't add such a mode as the PS5 does not support dolby vision.
It was DV for streaming apps. Not for UHD discs, which the Xbox doesn't support.

Top Bottom