• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos are exclusive to Xbox consoles for two years due to an agreement between Microsoft and Dolby

Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Is this some kind of an advantage?
Its not really that. I wanna say something like this is unprecedented. Who knows.
Don't see a problem. After all I remember Sony & co. was touting Tempest being superior or whatever :messenger_tears_of_joy: And that nobody uses Atmos etc.
And of course some ppl are only looking at it thru the lenses of console wars. Congrats.

What this means is its a good idea Sony invested in 3D audio for the PS5. Whether Sony already knew this could happen or not, not sure.

reinking

Gold Member
tenor.gif

Genx3

Jesus fuck i am kinda salty about this.
because that means i won’t be getting dolby atmos on my ps5 exclusive games any time soon.
And as much as i like the 3D headphones audio... i fucking hate wearing cans...

fuck 😂👌😂

Has Sony consoles ever supported Dolby codecs?

There's your answer...

Kind of tired of Dolby and their BS with the formats.
Would be nice though if Sony had DV& Atmos.
Don't like headphones, AVR+ surround system all the time.

Let the baby wake up daddy is playing PS PS PS PS PS.

BeardGawd

Banned
Jesus fuck i am kinda salty about this.
because that means i won’t be getting dolby atmos on my ps5 exclusive games any time soon.
And as much as i like the 3D headphones audio... i fucking hate wearing cans...

fuck 😂👌😂
Guess what? Sony is pushing for their own standard (think Bluray) and doesn't want to promote Dolby which is available on a competing console.

If this is true (doesn't appear ro be an official announcemrnt?) and you like Dolby this would be good news because this ensures MS will push it and it will gain exposure. I wouldn't be surprised if Dolby offered this exclusive for pennies just to combat Sony being the defacto standard. Basically if Sony didn't have their own standard I doubt this would be exclusive.

Last edited:

99Luffy

Banned
2 years from now or from the launch date? Cause if that means next year PS5's will get dolby then not really a big deal.

99Luffy

Banned
Atmos is overrated, it's just the latest trick from Dolby to sell license. I mean Atmos for TV, Sound Bar and now Cellphones..... really?
Dolby Vision is great but I don't think it's a good idea from Dolby in order to win the HDR format war again HDR10+ open format.
Atmos is the biggest improvement in home theater since stereo imo. Yes, bigger than surround sound(which honestly never really wowed me)

Bankai

This REALLY sucks. I don't care about Dolby Vision in games (HLG is perfect), but for 4K blurays it is crucial. Ridiculous that it is "blocked" from PS5 now because of this deal. It's a fucking technical feature, not an exclusive game or something. Not cool.

edit: typo because of angry typing

Last edited:

MScarpa

this is hands down the most fucking retarded thing microsoft did.

way to fuck over people that paid a shit ton of cash for a dolby atmos set. 😂.

thank god i have a decent gaming pc.

"People talking about shit about Microsft like they're greedy ones. Just same random ignorant (in purpose or not? who knows) haters as usual..

Sure meanwhile Microsoft are using their earning money to release great products , also let's act like it's not Sony that been making you 70$ next gen games."

ManaByte

This REALLY sucks. I don't care about Dolby Vision in games (HLG is perfect), but for 4K blurays it is crucial. Ridiculous that it is "blocked" from PS5 now because of this deal. It's a fucking technical feature, not an exclusive game or something. Not cool.

edit: typo because of angry typing

Xbox doesn't do it for Blu-Rays either.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Dolby Atmos for games is amazing. Just starting to see DV being used for games and so far it seems decent, though not something that you will necessarily notice a difference between that and HDR.

FrankWza

PS5 headset support will automatically always be superior because the USB ports are closed on x. Unless you want to lose 2.1 full spec by using an adapter or until someone makes an hdmi 2.1 headphone dac that can utilize a mic workaround then x is limited to whatever usb headsets or amps that release with x chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom