• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolby Atmos’s Dev About PS5’s 3D audio "Tempest Engine"

ethomaz

Banned
Q- Is it true Dolby Atmos is capped at 32 objects?

No, that is incorrect. As a technology, Dolby Atmos can support hundreds of simultaneous objects.

That being said, we fall back on sage advice from developers of some of the first Atmos games: Objects are a fantastic tool, but restraint should be shown with respect to the number of objects active at any time. Too many objects in motion can create a confusing soundscape.

Developers have also told us that avoiding the horizontal "bed" for an all-object mix is an unnecessarily time-consuming and labor-intensive effort. So far, developers are creating next-generation mixes by blending bed audio and object audio. More is good, but more may not necessarily be "better."

Q- What do you think of Sony's mission to bring 3D audio to everyone?

Sony’s mission to bring 3D audio to everyone on PS5 is exciting, it reminds us of when we began the Dolby Atmos for games journey many years ago. There are now hundreds of millions of Dolby Atmos enabled products in the market, across several product categories (TV, AVR, soundbar, mobile phone, pc, game console, headsets). Dolby Atmos is also available at a wide range of prices – even as low as $15.

Q- Sony announced a deep focus on 3D audio. How does that impact Dolby?

We are thrilled that Sony is dedicated to using 3D audio in its new console. This can only be interpreted as a validation of the work we have done across all entertainment genres in implementing Dolby Atmos on the devices consumers use today. We will continue forward with our mission to ensure Dolby Atmos is supported as the standard in 3D audio on all endpoints.

Q- What is the impact of Sony's audio platform: Tempest 3D Audio Tech?

Similar to Microsoft's Windows Sonic Spatial Audio Platform, audio teams will rejoice that they have a powerful 3D audio platform to deliver their craft on PS5. We think this is a crucial milestone for game studios. We are excited to hear that Sony has committed to an evolution of its audio by establishing a bona-fide 3D audio platform for PS5. "Tempest" is not only a great name, but a great reference to one of our favorite arcade classics, as well.

>me when I experience the TEMPEST Engine for the first time
f4ac2deb8798876f17483f6c00b7c550.jpg

Vroadstar

Wonder how this will turn out, haven't tried Atmos but I do have 7.1 setup at home and got an Oculus Quest where when you are playing a game the sounds shifts depending on where you are looking. Is it the same here?

Goliathy

Banned
I have a true 7.1 setup for Dolby atmos and dts:x movies.
Already using Dolby atoms for Xbox one X.
Looking forward to PS5 and XBOX Series X in that regard.
So, Xbox will support Dolby Atmos, which my receiver supports too.
But what about PS5? Will it just use bitstream then?

Shmunter

I have a true 7.1 setup for Dolby atmos and dts:x movies.
Already using Dolby atoms for Xbox one X.
Looking forward to PS5 and XBOX Series X in that regard.
So, Xbox will support Dolby Atmos, which my receiver supports too.
But what about PS5? Will it just use bitstream then?
Assuming so. PS5 will calculate the soundscape and send the raw bitstream to the receiver, thus any receiver will reproduce the soundscape. That’s the idea.

Will the PS5 come with a microphone to measure acoustics for optimum results??

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Assuming so. PS5 will calculate the soundscape and send the raw bitstream to the receiver, thus any receiver will reproduce the soundscape. That’s the idea.

With a multiple speakers Audyssey calibrated setup they may have to... but maybe they have some clever solution up their sleeve. I would be an excited Wwise employee now :).

Goliathy

Banned

that would be nice. My receive has one, so maybe this will work too then?!
But we will see

dcll

Banned
My 10+ year old Yamaha receiver and Paradigm speakers still sound amazing to me, still haven't seen a reason to upgrade all these years later.

Fake

Why would they be impressed when Sony only doing something they already started reason I said their audio is nothing special. It's already available on Xbox and further improved on series X. Sony audio will be great for its VR reason I assume they spend so much focus on it.

Competition is always better for us. Don't matter if 'X' made first or 'Y' make better. Remember that.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure everything Cerny said, Dolby did years ago but hey, to each their own.

Top Bottom