• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dogma is such a weird and wonderful movie

Umbasaborne

Banned
I have always had a soft spot for kevin smiths “viewaskew” universe of connected films. Many of them are bad yes, but I adore the clerks films, chasing Amy, and Dogma. But thinking about it, Dogma is such a bizarro movie in this universe. The rest of the films are dramatic comedies like chasing amy, or slice of life comedies like clerks, or mall rats, Yeah there is some out there stuff in jay and silent bob strikes back, but nothing on the scale of dogma. Dogma is a weird, religious fantasy action comedy with a great cast, and while the characters are literally fighting angels and demons (and poop monsters) jay and silent bob are just there. Yes the two stoner characters from clerks, the connective tissue of this universe are just there hanging around while all this fantasy action stuff is going on. I admire dogma because its just such a crazy swerve from what the other films in this universe are. Its like if they made a big fantasy action film and the fockers from meet the fockers were in it as side characters.

tldr: watch dogma, its a weird and wonderful movie. And if your an nj native like me, you’ll get a kick out of seeing locations like fucking red bank, or asbury park featured in it.

chixdiggit

tldr: watch dogma, its a weird and wonderful movie.
ben affleck jesus GIF

Great movie for sure.

John Bilbo

I went to see if you could rent the movie from Youtube for cheap, but it seems it is not possible.

You can find the whole movie there very easily for free though 🤷‍♂️

Umbasaborne

Banned
Pretty much. That's how I feel about all of Smith's work.
Yeah, i felt that way for a long time, but i finally got around to watching jay and silent bob reboot, and i expected to cringe, which i did, but it was also a nice nostalgia trip. And kevin smiths daughter genuinley had a great performance.

i still drive past that quick stop occasionally

bender

What time is it?
Mass geocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, outside of soccer.

It's really the only thing I remember about the movie.

As far as Smith's best work, I used to think it was Chasing Amy. I've outgrown his movies though as I struggle to get through any of them these days.

EruditeHobo

It's the perfect movie for Kevin Smith's lens. I used to think Chasing Amy was his best, but it's clearly this -- the sarcasm, irreverence, piss-taking humor, & sophomoric vulgarity is perfect for a movie about Catholicism.

EruditeHobo

As far as Smith's best work, I used to think it was Chasing Amy. I've outgrown his movies though as I struggle to get through any of them these days.

He makes overwhelmingly bad movies.

Clerks II is kind of okay. I'll watch Clerks III, because I like him as a person. And I do think his media/podcast empire is impressive as hell (or was at the time, not sure the current state of it). As a filmmaker, though, he's mediocre at best.

Billbofet

Smith is an interesting guy. I used to listen to his podcasts and his lectures on youtube - the story about his involvement with Superman is great.
That said, his movies are can't-get-it-out-of-your-mind-or-off-your-shoe dogshit. I was flipping channels last week and saw the Star Wars vs. LoTR trilogy scene from some Clerks movie - OOOF!!!

Keihart

Mallrats, Dogma and Chasing Amy are probably his prime, i enjoy Tusk too bug those 3 are classics for me.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I agree, it's still a great film with many laughs. Honestly, Dogma and Tusk are the only 2 Kevin Smith films I've seen and I liked them both. Tusk was disturbing in weird ways.
LOL

MilkyJoe

It's Smiths best film. Pity the blu-ray costs so much as it went out of print.

I got a copy on blu ray 20 pounds, not so long ago :messenger_beaming: :messenger_clapping:

It's a bit more expensive at the moment

The Skull

Really is a fantastic movie. Great balance of comedy and Smith's musings about catholicism. Also Jay's rant at the end kills me everytime. That and Linda Fiorentino is smoking hot.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
I was at the filming of An Evening With Kevin Smith 2 in London, on one the DVD Scene select thumbnails you can clearly see me sitting there in the audience. So technically, I've had a cameo in a Kevin Smith production. :messenger_sunglasses:

Quasicat

Where is it streaming legally?
It is totally possible that streaming or rerelease will not likely happen. The release rights moved around based on the content with the ownership ultimately landing squarely on Weinstein. Here is a good explanation of it:

The good thing about this, is that Weinstein is a bit preoccupied right now that he has not DMCA it off of YouTube yet and it’s still there:

TheMan

Haven't seen this one in aaaaages. Lol, I originally went to see this with my MOm when it was still in theaters. She's a fairly conservative churchgoer and walked out of the theater when the poop demon appeared.

Quasicat

Haven't seen this one in aaaaages. Lol, I originally went to see this with my MOm when it was still in theaters. She's a fairly conservative churchgoer and walked out of the theater when the poop demon appeared.
She made it pretty far in. My parents made it to when the angels went to Mooby headquarters and laid judgement on the executive staff. They stopped taking my recommendations after seeing it. ☺️ I really wish they would give Idiocracy a shot.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It's a boring piece of shit. Kevin Smith sucks at writing movies.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I need to watch it again. I wasnt a huge fan when I first saw it.

Clerks is one of my most favorite movies of all time. Mallrats is also good and funny. Chasing Amy was good but started to get a bit weird. After that it sort of went downhill for me. I recall Dogma being super preachy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom