• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your wife or spouse dislike it when you play games?

Does gaming bother your spouse?

• Total voters
She doesn't mind, just doesn't get them and has no interest in them. There was a period she got annoyed as i was spending way more time on them but i balance out the wife/gaming time better now. Since having kids that time has been reduced again, just one of these things, life gets busy. I tend to not need much sleep and my wife loves an early night so i get most of my gaming done during the night.

My two oldest kids are around the age now where they are interested and capable of playing. Found myself buying more switch games now as it's something we can all play and enjoy together.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
No, but then again I usually don’t play very long sessions. I’m sure there’s a point where she’d become annoyed, but I feel like that’s got more to do with time being wasted rather gaming in itself.

Valt7786

I'll never understand why some couples (or well, maybe one half of the couple) insists on spending every single minute together and then getting the arse when the other wants to do their own thing. Find your own hobbies woman! I'm lucky enough to have someone who plays games as much as I do, we have our own setups next to each other, can sit playing whatever with headsets on etc, no problems. I've got friends who are only "allowed" on once a week for 2 hours while she's out, one whos gf will do everything to interrupt him as soon as he turns his PS on and another who just lets him get on with it for however long he likes while she does her own thing. Guess which one is happiest?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
If your wife complaints that you play games,
Play them even more,
Be a man!
#bostonbeaman

-------‐-----
Mine did... for years .. eventually I told her to fuck off... now she cant because Im gone

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
My wife plays WoW more than I play videogames. That said, she doesn't care in the slightest pretty much anything I want to do as long as our responsibilities are taken care of. My wife knew I was into pretty much 3 things when she met me, videogames, guitar, and drinking. I don't drink like I used to, but I still play videogames and guitar all the time.

I remember one time my wife dropped me off at a strip club to hang out with my buddies. A guy I never met was in the group waiting and he was like, "Who was that? My wife. Your wife just dropped you off at a strip club like she was taking you to daycare, gave you a kiss and said have a good time. Yeah? Dude...you're lucky."

We just celebrated 13 years of marriage last week. I'm a lucky guy.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Wife yesterday after I played rocket league with some friends:

"I can't believe you and your buddies play football with cars. I have never seen anything more stupid. I didn't want to say anything at the time but oh my god that is simply bizarre. Football with cars?!"

Lmao
Mine also hates Rocket League, despite me trying to make her play with me and our friends (yes, the people I play with are friends of both, more hers than mine), she tried and told it's not for her. Every time I'm playing it and she came across, she just shake her head, ask how can we like that game and carry on on whatever she's doing.

My ex-girlfriend liked videogames, animes etc, perfect girl!

She is Asian, and we broken because she had to return to japan, and distance relationship don't work at all.

We still talk, she has no plans to return to Brazil (because of her parents), or me going to japan (yet)...so...Yeah, its sad.

rofif

Banned
I'll never understand why some couples (or well, maybe one half of the couple) insists on spending every single minute together and then getting the arse when the other wants to do their own thing. Find your own hobbies woman! I'm lucky enough to have someone who plays games as much as I do, we have our own setups next to each other, can sit playing whatever with headsets on etc, no problems. I've got friends who are only "allowed" on once a week for 2 hours while she's out, one whos gf will do everything to interrupt him as soon as he turns his PS on and another who just lets him get on with it for however long he likes while she does her own thing. Guess which one is happiest?
Exactly this.
In my marriage there is no such thing as allowing things….
I play, she reads a book and we don’t need to talk for whole evening. It’s important to take care of yourself.

And hell, I get her a new kindle oasis and she is happy as fuck she can sit on the bed and read. The less I disturb her the better ;p

Javthusiast

Banned
Replace outdated wife with next level waifu
facts GIF

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
In my history some of them hated it, so I broke up with them, most didn't tho. Most played with me co-ops and sometimes even vs MP. Also most of them very fuck buddies, but my current GF plays games with me regularly. Feels good.

clarky

Gold Member
Depends, usually no, but if im on the latest and greatest with the atmos and sub turned upto 11 with Dorito's all over me and the place like an opium den for 14 hours straight then i tend to get funny looks.

Last edited:

Neilg

Early on she didnt get them and considered them for losers etc (based on prior experiences), but we've had a few philosophical conversations about it. when I'm 'winding down' after work/trying to relax, watching something completely passive like a TV show actually doesn't help me relax in any way, it's not quite engaging enough to let me switch off and especially after a rough day i find myself continuing to think about work. video games have that level of interaction and thought that demands just a little more attention and hits a more pure level of entertainment. I only watch tv and moves as more of an event to get stuck into them, but videogames serve a very specific purpose for me.
She totally understands what I get out of it and respects it. i play a couple hours a night, i'm not shouting abuse at teenagers on COD or shirking home responsibilities. she's not really interested in videogames but does like hohokum.
I think if I was playing league / COD / fortnite and getting worked up on voice chat for hours and hours, keeping myself to a schedule of when I 'have' to be on, she would not have the same level of respect.

Last edited:

Fredrik

My wife was cranky once when I was playing Elden Ring instead of getting my newborn ready for his bath. I never repeated that mistake since she’s super understanding and a bit of a gamer herself,
Yeah similar scenario at my place, with Elden Ring, having no pause will test any relationship, worst thing about the game tbh.

soulbait

My wife never grew up around video games and did not know much about them. However, for our first Christmas, while dating, she got me the original Xbox as my gift (I knew she was a keeper). So if she complains now, she knows what she signed up for. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

I think it really comes down to balance. If playing video games takes time away from spending time together or "adulting", then yes it would be a problem. But the problem would not be the video games, but me being a poor partner. Similarly, she loves to read books. She loves to spend a Saturday reading an entire novel or two. It is not big deal unless it interferes with our time together or our responsibilities as adults.

Sometimes you just want to enjoy your hobbies, and no matter what they are, your partner should respect your time with them. Now of course there are always limits to these things. If your hobby is causing financial strain or you are not doing your duties to help with the household/bills and such, then it is an issue. But it is not the hobby that is the issue, but your priorities and maturity as an adult.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
My wife does not like it when I play video games. Although has no problems if I end up wasting time via TV shows etc. In truth I'm not even sure why it bothers her so much! She previously felt gaming was reserved for losers only however I have a very good job and earn double her monthly salary. Gaming is just so much more fun than watching some garbage on Netflix.
It is the stigma of society.

And I am sure that the industry is already up to the task of cinema.

The worst thing is that, in a few years, everyone, more adults think they are gamers... Playing with cell phones.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'll never understand why some couples (or well, maybe one half of the couple) insists on spending every single minute together and then getting the arse when the other wants to do their own thing. Find your own hobbies woman!
Well, most have literally none and their only concept of spending free time in a relationship is getting all the attention and making sure you fulfill your duty to entertain them while they're "bored". That's a huge red flag and something I always try to figure out early on to run away before it's too late.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Depends on the game. If it's interesting to her, she'll sit and watch as I play. For example Final Fantasy XIV and Yakuza 7.

I had a hard time playing Last of US 2 though. And I've barely been able to play Strangers of Paradise

Korso

My wife plays more games than I do. It's a constant challenge to beat each others PSN level/Gamerscore. She's winning by the way. I think its important to support your partner's hobbies and interests.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had my wife try Elden Ring. She gets to do the tutorial area and immediately says she hates it. She says she can’t stand to see the ghost of other players and she hates how manual the game is. I ask her if she just wants the game to auto-attack and choose the weapons for her. In other words, push a button to win. She compared it to Morrowind, which made me laugh a little, said it wants you to do everything. Lol

I don’t really understand the sensitivity of that subject, but apparently that’s offensive? I guess some people can’t play games manually?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It is weird that video games are apparently a waste of time but a 3 hour Office or Come Dine With Me marathon is a-okay.

That's how hypocritical society is.

It is frowned upon to have video games as a hobby and they classify as the worst thing in society....

But it is correct or normal to get drunk every 3rd day, smoke or use drugs... WTF???

Jaybe

I had my wife try Elden Ring. She gets to do the tutorial area and immediately says she hates it. She says she can’t stand to see the ghost of other players and she hates how manual the game is. I ask her if she just wants the game to auto-attack and choose the weapons for her. In other words, push a button to win. She compared it to Morrowind, which made me laugh a little, said it wants you to do everything. Lol

I don’t really understand the sensitivity of that subject, but apparently that’s offensive? I guess some people can’t play games manually?

Your wife: “Eww…. manual.”

No GIF

Musashipan

My wife used to play Donkey Kong 3, Counter Strike, Mario kart and more Nintendo games. Nowadays she says gaming is a waste of time. She's been stressed with 2 jobs and college atm. I hope that in the future things change a bit.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
My girlfriend has never complained about me playing games, and when she played It Takes Two with me, she was actually better at it,

and now I feel bad about myself THANKS OP.

Kaachan

My husband and I got together thanks of games so I can't imagine having a spouse getting mad at me over video games. I would say sayonara early to that kind of behavior

Last edited:

skneogaf

The majority of women don't have hobbies so they hate it that we do, if video games are your hobby then she will hate it.

An ex girlfriend hated me playing video games as it just didn't benefit her, she hated me spending so much time at the gym but it benefited her with how I looked.

I can't think of many girls I've been in relationships with that have hobbies that they would do away from me.

FingerBang

The majority of women don't have hobbies so they hate it that we do, if video games are your hobby then she will hate it.

An ex girlfriend hated me playing video games as it just didn't benefit her, she hated me spending so much time at the gym but it benefited her with how I looked.

I can't think of many girls I've been in relationships with that have hobbies that they would do away from me.
Most girls I've been with had no problem with me playing games, but I always made sure to spend enough time with them and in general don't spend my days playing even if I have the chance.
I'm also a playful dude, so it's also a matter of personality. No boring woman who hates games is going to like me.

Not sure about the first sentence. I agree many girls don't seem to have hobbies and things they pour their time in, but the idea they hate your hobbies for that reason sounds weird to me.

Filben

Wife yesterday after I played rocket league with some friends:

"I can't believe you and your buddies play football with cars. I have never seen anything more stupid. I didn't want to say anything at the time but oh my god that is simply bizarre. Football with cars?!"

Lmao
Lol yeah, never understood that (often female) logic. Why is it okay to play football with your feet but not with cars? At least one guy must have said when football was invented "lol this looks stupid". Who decides which one is "cool" and which is "dumb"? It's completely arbitrary and consensual.

But once you set your mind straight you realise that everything is simply dumb or nothing is. Let people enjoy their things.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
No child support or alimony payments?
In my country we have something called "shared custody" when both take equal responsibilities over the children, so we share everything equally in half ... therefore no alimony and the child support is just what you spend directly with the children ..

Alimony in fact is almost non existing over here ... its an absolutely archaic and absurd law in most cases in my opinion

GymWolf

Your friends sound pretty miserable.

Imagine having a woman dictating what you can do for fun in your free time...

Zeroing

Banned
My sugar daddy earns more than me obviously but he doesn’t care, he knows I’m too busy playing videos games to be going out to find a replacement for him!

He’s actually grateful!

Nope, she has a life of her own. Also, this life includes gaming and she spends a lot of time doing it. Why would you even be with a partner who doesn't accept your interests or hobbies? 🤔

Top Bottom