• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your wife or spouse dislike it when you play games?

Does gaming bother your spouse?

• Total voters
My wife and I typically play the Switch together, other than that she does not care that I play video games. I also take care of my responsibilities as well, often times, she'll look at me and ask me if I would like to go play my games.

MiguelItUp

GF doesn't really play games, but she doesn't care. In her spare time she watches Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc.

If you're with someone that won't allow you to be you through and through, maybe they're not entirely for you. Unless you legitimately have a video game problem where you wanna play 8 hours a day rather than do anything, then that's a separate issue, lol.

Pedro Motta

giphy.gif

Dr.Morris79

..Are you me?

Maybe my wife has a long lost sister. Wait, are you my wife trying to put the feelers out if this is a bad thing?

This sounds dangerously similar to what she does..

Please dont be her, this is my last bastion of hope :messenger_tears_of_joy:

(If you are her, we're out of milk)

Just_one

My wife doesnt bother , actually is ok with me playing.

She just goes watch big brother or other reality shows she likes. she also liked to play , shes currently obcessed with stardew valley on switch.

We used to see a lot of shows a few years ago but she kinda lost interessted in that and just sees reality shows which is a bummer because i end up seeing things by myself...i really miss that but that damn 24hours big brother channel just stays on or she´s at instagram seeing stories over and over after dinner....

Md Ray

Fortunately, no. My wife's something of a gamer herself. A causal one, I might say. Although, if I spent too much time gaming then she sure does give me an earful about it.

She hated when I played with my friends back in 2011(we played a LOT of wow at the time), but now she's cool with me spending a more time gamming, the irony is that now that she doesn't care I can't do it anymore because I dont have any friends to play with.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Nope.

But I can't bare her tiktoks, I swear if I hear "oh no, oh no" one more time, I think I'm going to stamp on her phone. :)
Just when I thought I had erased that fucking song from my head...

On topic: nah my wife plays games too, she recently beat kirby the forgotten land since we got an Oculus recently she's chewing thru games. Beat the 3 episodes of vader immortal over the weekend lol.

HTK

Banned
My g/f doesn't like it, I just show her the door if it bothers her that much because I ain't tossing my hobbies and things I enjoy for anyone.

K' Dash

Since my baby girl was born 10 months ago she gets pissed if I play games instead of doing chores around the house or helping with my daughter.

I'm in college again, been for a year now, if I try to study, do homework or a zoom call for a group project SOMETIMES she also gets a bit cranky.

Anything that's entertainment I do it after everyone gets to bed.

So... I don't play anything anymore.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Just when I thought I had erased that fucking song from my head...

On topic: nah my wife plays games too, she recently beat kirby the forgotten land since we got an Oculus recently she's chewing thru games. Beat the 3 episodes of vader immortal over the weekend lol.
My other half plays games too, she loves animal crossing New horizons and dead by daylight, and we are going to play sniper elite 5 together :)

I was watching her play viva pinata earlier, another game she loves. :)

I need to grab her that kirby game still, as I want to play it too haha XD

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
My wife knew I was a gamer when we met and she wasn't but has since become a gamer herself.

For years she ran a Priest in WoW to be my healer as I tanked in dungeons and raids.

Any idea how easy it is for a geared out Tank/Healer combo to get into groups?

OZ9000

Banned
Since my baby girl was born 10 months ago she gets pissed if I play games instead of doing chores around the house or helping with my daughter.

I'm in college again, been for a year now, if I try to study, do homework or a zoom call for a group project SOMETIMES she also gets a bit cranky.

Kids always throw a spanner in the work.
No, she frequently asks me what I'm playing if I'm on PC or Steam Deck and when it's not obvious like PS5 games on TV. We often play Mario Kart together or she plays Animal Crossing while I'm doing something.

You should talk to her, mate, and get to the bottom of it. Even if she can't find an answer at first but you guys have to dig through that, otherwise she keeps getting annoyed (for whatever reason) and this gonn annoy you and soon you're all in a fight over the stupidest things.

I work with couples and people, parents, kids etc for a living and I can tell you from experience that it is a problem she has to figure out and it's something in her perception and it's not you going after your hobby per se. It is the way she sees the world and you. She has to work on her mindset regarding your hobby.

Obviously you can and should help her with that, maybe make her understand what it is you see in video games and how it's not different from any other hobby like reading, watching things on TV, going to the cinema, theatre etc. She obviously don't have to love it but she should respect that. Don't make an argument about other things, keep it on topic, but tell her you respect her hobbies as well and you wouldn't want her to ditch the stuff she loves. Tell her that you want mutual respect in your relationship.

So, be honest about it. Tell her why you want to get to the bottom of it, like you don't want it to become a bigger problem later. Also ask her why she would want you to have a different hobby. Then make her understand that you doing things/having hobbies aren't meant for her enjoying but it's for you. It's not your job to have a hobby what she finds "cool".

if it's early on and you aren't in that relationship for years or kids aren't involved and If she doesn't appreciate honesty and can't give you the smallest respect ditch her before some psycho shit starts. I've seen that plenty and it usually ends bad for men because women get away with a loooot of shit if they really go down that route.
Good advice. Thanks.

Who would be stupid enough to marry somebody who doesn't like videogames and share their hobbies?
One doesn't have to like videogames to let their partner enjoy them..... My girlfriend isn't a gamer, yet she encourages me to enjoy my games. It's a mindset.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
No my wife is a gamer. We don't usually play together, as we like different games (she is into very bro games like Call of Duty, funny enough), but we both get the need to blow off steam with games.

Kacho

Gold Member
Nope. My wife usually shows interest by asking questions about whatever I’m playing. I usually don’t play games until the night time so my playtime is never an issue since I’m not neglecting other stuff.

ahtlas7

Both of us game. My wife is basically a BioWare gamer (Kotor, JE, ME, DA) but neither of us spend long periods gaming, it’s just one of our hobbies.

Roberts

We used to play couch co-op back in the day. Stuff like Diablo 3 and even older stuff like Dungeon Siege 3. Now she doesnt care about it at all but never complains about my gaming habits. As it should be.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Get a divorce dude.
I have this miserable friends who ESCAPE to sit in a fucking car in a garage in order to not sit with their wifes lol.
My one buddy FINALLY upgraded to ... 1060 6gb and I had to buy it for him and then we had to play the whole scheme where their old pc "broke" so I came in to "repair" it an installed new gpu. and that lady gets angry when he sits in front of the pc.
Another buddy have a wife that finds him something to do, the MOMENT he touches the pc. And he is the most good guy I've even knew. He earns 5x much as she, takes care of kid, taxes, home. She sits on her ass and only finds him stuff to do lol

John Bilbo

Get a divorce dude.
I have this miserable friends who ESCAPE to sit in a fucking car in a garage in order to not sit with their wifes lol.
My one buddy FINALLY upgraded to ... 1060 6gb and I had to buy it for him and then we had to play the whole scheme where their old pc "broke" so I came in to "repair" it an installed new gpu. and that lady gets angry when he sits in front of the pc.
Another buddy have a wife that finds him something to do, the MOMENT he touches the pc. And he is the most good guy I've even knew. He earns 5x much as she, takes care of kid, taxes, home. She sits on her ass and only finds him stuff to do lol
Fucking hell Jesus Christ

G-Bus

Banned
Wife was weird about it for years. Just a weird attitude towards me if I played a lot or for a few hours straight in a day. But her watching Netflix all day is fine? Yes I'd point it out and laugh that it's the same thing and she has nothing to say.

Been good these last few years. Honestly don't give a fuck anymore. I work and spend a shit load of time with my kids and only game in the evenings when they're in bed.

Bought a new tv just for gaming last year and I'm getting a sound system in a couple months.

I just point to the door if she gets bitchy. Im allowed my hobbies.

Georome

Yeah, my wife is fine with it. The only conflict we have about videogames is when she takes over the PS5 while I'm not home and exits out of my in-progress NHL game to play Ratchet and Clank. The Switch is the best thing to happen to our relationship, because she can play Mario Odyssey on mobile mode while I'm playing other games on the TV.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Kids fuck up everything. She's only going to get worse from here on in as the kid slowly chips away at her patience, looks, and self worth. Have fun.

One thing I did to get around her complaining was to take the kids to my gaming room, and let them play in my room while i played my games. It wasnt the most immersive experience but this way she got to have a break while i got to play my games. That and putting kids to bed at 9 PM sharp.

Another thing you can do is ask for an hour and a half after you come home to wind down. Doubt she will say no to that. You can play during that time. Then take over your daughter for the next two hours until 9 then put her to bed yourself and you have a good 3-4 hours of gaming time after that.

Nope my wife games....she has a select group of games she pretty much hones in on and makes it her goal to get every trophy and/or achievement..Shes actually like 4 trophies away from getting the platinum in MK11 and it's been hilarious/crazy to watch(And she beats the shxt out of me in the game lol)..Shes a hospital executive and uses games to unwind after work everyday

Last edited:

Apocryphon

It depends. She doesn't like it when I get angry and yell playing Warzone. And she doesn't like when I play bloodborne because of its artstyle. The rest she doesn't mind unless as long as I'm not neglecting anything. We even play some coop games together, like it takes two, Rayman Legends and similar.
I'll never understand grown men yelling at the TV in online multiplayer games 😂

I'm not trying to paint with a broad brush, but there are certainly women out there who seem to desire the misery of their man, women who are bothered by the joy of their partner.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Kids fuck up everything. She's only going to get worse from here on in as the kid slowly chips away at her patience, looks, and self worth. Have fun.

One thing I did to get around her complaining was to take the kids to my gaming room, and let them play in my room while i played my games. It wasnt the most immersive experience but this way she got to have a break while i got to play my games. That and putting kids to bed at 9 PM sharp.

Another thing you can do is ask for an hour and a half after you come home to wind down. Doubt she will say no to that. You can play during that time. Then take over your daughter for the next two hours until 9 then put her to bed yourself and you have a good 3-4 hours of gaming time after that.
I know people swear by kids and I will be lone sad fuck when I grow old... but I am 33, wife is 32 and we do not have or want kids and we are so happy lol.
Life is s comfortable. I get home, buy whatever games I want, play video games.
I go meet my friend who is miserable with kids and his witch wife. All around me people have kids problems...

I would probably agree no problem if my wife wanted kids but she does not. I am not even against it tbh but it's not my first choice

Jboemios

Banned
My wife does not like it when I play video games. Although has no problems if I end up wasting time via TV shows etc. In truth I'm not even sure why it bothers her so much! She previously felt gaming was reserved for losers only however I have a very good job and earn double her monthly salary. Gaming is just so much more fun than watching some garbage on Netflix.
Your wife is a Stacy. Stacy's partner are called chads. Chads dont play Video games. Your wife want you to be a chad

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm not trying to paint with a broad brush, but there are certainly women out there who seem to desire the misery of their man, women who are bothered by the joy of their partner.
Christ... that is a perfect description of his wife... oof.
Funny thing is, I knew it, he knew it... everyone knew it before they had a kid and marriage. I guess that's just what love does lol

lem0n

Whenever I read these kinds of threads I'm always thankful for what I have, lol. My lady isn't really into playing games aside from Switch, but she loves to hang out when I play them and watch. Not all the time, but when it's something new or more interesting than Gran Turismo she's somewhat invested. Has never in the 6 years we've been together given me a hard time about them. We both allow each other to indulge our favorite hobbies with no judgement.

Top Bottom