• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Xbox Record Party Chat? Know More About The Microsoft Gaming Console

reinking

Gold Member
Republic World

“We occasionally review a low volume of voice recordings sent from one Xbox user to another when there are reports that a recording violated our terms of service and we need to investigate. This is done to keep the Xbox community safe and is clearly stated in our Xbox terms of service.”

I want to point out this is not an Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Sony or any one specific company issue. This is an industry issue. We need to either accept it or.. ..stop communicating with the outside world? I fear we are too far in to remove it.

edit-I seem to have triggered a few folks because the headline was MS. Please read my statement. This isn't about one company. Sheesh.

Last edited:

Kylars Bluff

Neo Member
The Terms of Service sz “voice recordings “. Is this specifically “messages” or any type of recordings by MS?

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
This is referring to voice messages. If you send a voice message to another player and it is reported to Microsoft for content you might be banned. Same thing would happen on PSN. Voice messages are permanent recordings on both platforms. This is not the same as party chat.

Sony added some language to warn if someone records a party chat and sends it to Sony you might be banned. While I haven’t seen language on XBL party chat I assume Microsoft would take similar action if they were provided with a recording from a user.

Neither company is recording private party chats. Both companies will ban you if someone reports the content of a chat to their enforcement teams and is able to provide a recording as evidence. Moreover both companies want to warn users that people can easily record voice chat or stream via twitch so users should not say things that would get them banned or cancelled publicly.

Is this acceptable policy? Debatable. Certainly users who send unsolicited threatening and/or harassing material to other users via message should be banned. Should someone be banned for offending someone in a voice chat that they voluntarily joined? Probably not but that’s another story.

The short of it is neither company is “recording” you. If you are worried about being recorded and reported then make sure that you are only joining parties with people you know and trust and don’t mouth off in parties with users you are not familiar with. Talking about policy here is one thing but this whole “Sony is recording you” bit is just dumb. Give it a rest.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
So same as Ps5 now.
That seems to be what the article indicates. I came across it this morning looking for something else and thought I would share since this seems to be a topic these days. I think the our privacy ship has sailed when it comes to any electronic device.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Republic World

I want to point out this is not an Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Sony or any one specific company issue. This is an industry issue. We need to either accept it or.. ..stop communicating with the outside world? I fear we are too far in to remove it.

It's still worth discussing. The moment we all tacitly agree that we're too far gone to even warrant it being discussed, then that in itself is a problem. I don't agree with simply saying "well they all do it, so stfu". You posting this thread has merit in itself.

Kagey K

Banned
That seems to be what the article indicates. I came across it this morning looking for something else and thought I would share since this seems to be a topic these days. I think the our privacy ship has sailed when it comes to any electronic device.
No it says they check voice messages if they are reported. There is no way to record or report party chat on the Xbox one using the system features at this time.

Lets not let facts get in the way though. Xbox too.

Rolla

Banned
You know what I find hilarious

Amazon and most likely your smart tv, phone, and laptop, pc are listening to you right the fuck now. Ask the most powerful woman in Europe right now, if you think that's far fetched.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5de5598eea103f000653e41f%2F0x0.jpg%3Fbackground%3D000000%26cropX1%3D675%26cropX2%3D4518%26cropY1%3D0%26cropY2%3D3840

Aceofspades

Banned
Sony explicitly stated that they "Don't" record voice chats .

Edit: also Microsoft don't record voice chat they just dump entire servers into NSA hands.🤣

I remember reading that they signed a deal with them just like Google.

Last edited:

howitis3

not the same thing at all. this is for voice messages. sony said they would be recording your party chats. the difference being some a hole you dont even know messages you vs you talking with friends in party chat.

jaysius

Banned
The best thing to do in 2020 is to safely assume that whenever you say words near any type of microphone device(phone, console with mic, Alexa, Google Home thingy, iPad, Android tablet) that those mics are hot, and that the intended party isn't the only recipient. Yea that's a shitty realization, and yes our privacy has been decaying since we've gotten lazier with digital tech, but this is it, the reality is, NOBODY in most cases is listening to your actual words, there are probably bots parsing key words/threat words for special places like the CIA or NSA, the most of the words are just helping them learn how speech works and how to advertise better to you.

When you come to terms with this reality, and that there's nothing you can do if you enjoy your tech, the happier you'll be. Nobody is going to steal your mother's "secret" cookie recipe and blast it online, nobody cares that Becky has a nice bleached asshole, or that Tom's D is massive.

We're less consumers now and more byproducts for the corporations to exploit.

Last edited:

Kerotan

How is it good if MS or Sony don't have the ability to review reports from users? Of course they need the ability to record this stuff. Non issue and I suspect perverts have the biggest issue with that. Either that or paranoids who think the government are stealing their info and selling it to aliens.

Sethbacca

You're chatting on THEIR servers using THEIR service. They monitor it to ensure that you're not a little cunt that causes them to lose other customer's money. I'm not sure why you have any expectation of privacy. It's like continuing to use Facebook or Twitter while bitching about it. Don't do shit that will get you banned, or alternately use a service like Discord or something. Simple solutions.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Republic World

edit-I seem to have triggered a few folks because the headline was MS. Please read my statement. This isn't about one company. Sheesh.
Lol you mention Microsoft and Xbox twice in the title and then say it’s not about one company. If it’s not, why did you specifically target one company in the title?

Sending voice messages is different to recording chat. When you send a voice message of course it’s stored on their servers - it has to be stored there for others to be able to listen to it when they open it.

Nothing to see here.

reinking

Gold Member
Lol you mention Microsoft and Xbox twice in the title and then say it’s not about one company. If it’s not, why did you specifically target one company in the title?

Sending voice messages is different to recording chat. When you send a voice message of course it’s stored on their servers - it has to be stored there for others to be able to listen to it when they open it.

Nothing to see here.
I pasted the title verbatim to the linked article. I do not believe in changing titles when linking an article. I will never do that.

Handy Fake

Communications monitoring. Xbox Live includes communications features such as text and voice direct messaging and real-time text and voice chat. In order to help provide a safe gaming environment and enforce the Microsoft Code of Conduct, we collect and monitor direct messaging, and text communications in live-hosted multiplayer gameplay sessions and other features of the service, such as activity feeds and clubs.

GameDVR. Any player in a multiplayer game session can use GameDVR to record their view of the gameplay taking place in that session. The recording can capture your in-game character and gamertag in the game clips created by other players in the gameplay session. Note that if a player uses GameDVR on a PC, audio chat may also be captured in a game clip.

ToadMan

Is this acceptable policy? Debatable. Certainly users who send unsolicited threatening and/or harassing material to other users via message should be banned. Should someone be banned for offending someone in a voice chat that they voluntarily joined? Probably not but that’s another story.

Agree with what you wrote but to amplify this part it goes beyond platform bans.

These days there are an increasing number of laws which may come into play in such scenarios.

For example, the UK has hate speech laws for which such recordings would be evidence in a prosecution.

Other countries have laws prohibiting all sorts of discussions and language - so I think all services of this nature will have text effectively telling users that if they break those laws the platform holders may be compelled by law to turnover any recordings.

As you say those recordings may be taken other users.

geordiemp

Communications monitoring. Xbox Live includes communications features such as text and voice direct messaging and real-time text and voice chat. In order to help provide a safe gaming environment and enforce the Microsoft Code of Conduct, we collect and monitor direct messaging, and text communications in live-hosted multiplayer gameplay sessions and other features of the service, such as activity feeds and clubs.

GameDVR. Any player in a multiplayer game session can use GameDVR to record their view of the gameplay taking place in that session. The recording can capture your in-game character and gamertag in the game clips created by other players in the gameplay session. Note that if a player uses GameDVR on a PC, audio chat may also be captured in a game clip.

not the same thing at all. this is for voice messages. sony said they would be recording your party chats. the difference being some a hole you dont even know messages you vs you talking with friends in party chat.
So Sony said specifically that they would be the ones recording you? Cause I thought the copy said "user submitted" so which one is it? Is it Sony recording you or is it another user recording you and sending it to Sony? Cause there's a pretty big difference there. Can anyone clarify?

Lort

Banned
Microsoft and Sony have a reaponsibility to manage data hosted on their services such as text chat.

Only Sony records party voice chat.

“And there it is”

As it was several days ago when i first posted lol

MrFunSocks

Banned

I’m sure you’re probably trying to use this against ms, but this isn’t anything new or bad. Of course they record your voice messages and text chat. They need to in order for other people to be able to receive them. That’s how sending messages works lol.

Three

Microsoft and Sony have a reaponsibility to manage data hosted on their services such as text chat.

Only Sony records party voice chat.

“And there it is”

As it was several days ago when i first posted lol
Sony don't record party chat they already confirmed they dont you just agree that somebody else playing with you might be. Also this retaliation thread is uncalled for.

Three

I’m sure you’re probably trying to use this against ms, but this isn’t anything new or bad. Of course they record your voice messages and text chat. They need to in order for other people to be able to receive them. That’s how sending messages works lol.
The original article is about MS employees and contractors listening to cortona commands and recordings on your xbox not that the command was simply recorded for storage.

Original article which is actually old

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Republic World

SONY DOES NOT RECORD PARTY CHAT!

Sony merely warned users that other players can record the party chat and submit a clip to Sony for hate speech, harassment, etc...

Top Bottom