• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the show "Silicon Valley" get good eventually?

DanteFox

I'm trying to decide if I should stick with it. I'm currently two episodes in and it's a bit one-note. Just curious if it catches its stride later on or what?

I enjoyed it very much. But I've spent many years in companies doing programming work, so like Office Space it's quite recognizable and therefore more fun I suppose.

There are some very solid jokes and concepts in there if you ask me. Mike Judge is a pro and he let himself get counseled on the corporate world very much.

Quasicat

It definitely improves in a couple more episodes. The last couple of episodes of season one are really where it picks up and it’s really good after that. At first, I did not care for it, but once they get to
TechCrunch
I loved it until the end at that point, which was season 5.
After all of that, I will tell you that I did eventually see the last season, and hated it. They ended it perfectly in Season 5, but came back after while for season 6 and took it someplace that did not make sense with the rest of the series.

Ionian

Really enjoyed the first few seasons but just seems to spin in a loop for the later ones as it's always the same thing happening.

Still finished it though as was watching when it was airing but doubt I'll ever go back to it.

If Season 1 doesn't catch you, probably not for you.

Last edited:

RPS37

I love this show. Just started it. About to finish season 4.
If it didn’t hook you in the first few episodes, it’s probably not your thing.

The best part of the show is the housemates trashing each other. Peak of the show is probably the Mean Jerkoff Time discussion.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Every show gets worse over time, unfortunately

Really? I think many shows tend to improve over the first 3 To 5 seasons and then tend to decline. I can’t really think of any shows where the first season is my favorite.

Last edited:

frostyxc

Mike Judge is my thing. He could assault a lady in a walker in the name of peace, and I would applaud him. Silicon Valley has its ups and downs, but overall, I really enjoyed it. I will say that Thomas Middleswapmywife got a bit grating by the end of the series, though, and Amanda Crew was underutilized.

MrFunSocks

Banned
The first 3 seasons are amazing. Goes downhill after that, but is still worth it for the odd amazing episodes.

The frequent “oh now we’re screwed! Oh last second amazing idea saved us! It’s all about to go well! Oh no Richard screwed up at the last second and now we’re ruined!” pattern got old.

Last edited:

quickwhips

I liked it but i like dick math jokes and calling my friends fags. Its probably to low brow humor for some? Last season wasn’t good though.

Last edited:

nush

I enjoyed it very much. But I've spent many years in companies doing programming work, so like Office Space it's quite recognizable and therefore more fun I suppose.

Same, it's one where you'll miss out on some of the humor if you've not been in or aware of those environments.

Silicon Valley S01 E08 was really damn funny.

If you feel like you're gonna quit before then at least see that episode. Then re-evaluate.

Every show gets worse over time, unfortunately
Wrong.

Every season of Halt and Catch Fire was an improvement over the previous season. That's the GOAT though.

Last edited:

Raphael

It gets really good and hooks you like mad. Its a bit annoying with always chasing a solution for a new problem one after another, but i guess thats how they grab you. My wife and me binged the whole thing On a weekend. Last season is way worse, but still alright and concludes the series Ina satisfying way i would Say.

TheContact

I enjoyed the show at lot. I liked it enough to watch it through twice. It’s funny, but I’m also a tech nerd so there’s a lot of fan service there.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I couldn’t stomach the last season. After season 2, it just starts being more bad than good. I can’t believe I put myself through so much of it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It’s hilarious through and through but I suspect less funny if you haven’t worked with liquidation preferences, non-voting shares, antidilution protection, articles of association and such, and are not an avid Techcrunch reader

Top Bottom