• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the PS5 - Series X StockX price mean anything?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

The PS5 scalp price is as low as it's ever been at $695. I assume this is good news as it might mean we're closer than ever to seeing units on store shelves.

The XBox Series X on the other hand is $715.

Am I reading too much into this or does this suggest that public perception between the two is starting to shift? Is the ship starting to turn around for Microsoft and the XBox brand thanks to their acquisitions and GamePass? Their efforts were bound to pay off eventually but this seems particularly fast.

baphomet

StockX covers all the major sites for recording sales. If you look at the recent sales it's for everything.

It directly reflects scalping potential for most scalpers.

For months now ps5s haven't been worth scalping really.

It doesn't have any to do with showing Xbox being more wanted than ps5. it shows there's way less Xboxes out there in the resell market.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
StockX covers all the major sites for recording sales. If you look at the recent sales it's for everything.

It directly reflects scalping potential for most scalpers.

For months now ps5s haven't been worth scalping really.

It doesn't have any to do with showing Xbox being more wanted than ps5. it shows there's way less Xboxes out there in the resell market.

Doesn't it mean that there's more demand, relative to supply, for the Series X compared to the PS5?

I know it's not an all encompassing statistic because the supplies aren't equal, but perhaps it's an early sign?

Topher

Gold Member
Doesn't it mean that there's more demand, relative to supply, for the Series X compared to the PS5?

I know it's not an all encompassing statistic because the supplies aren't equal, but perhaps it's an early sign?

If we assume Sony and MS are producing the same number of units then the higher price would indicate more demand for Xbox Series X. But as you say we don't know what the supply is. If I had to guess I would say Sony is producing more than Microsoft.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned

Using StockX in an attempt to extrapolate console demand is quite moronic and certainly bizarre behaviour. I could just as easily produce ebay listings in the UK where PS5 is generally priced higher than Series X. In short, it means nothing.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
What it means is that as more people get their hands on these the aftermarket prices go down. One being a few dollars more than the other in scalper land doesn't really mean anything.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Using StockX in an attempt to extrapolate console demand is quite moronic and certainly bizarre behaviour. I could just as easily produce ebay listings in the UK where PS5 is generally priced higher than Series X. In short, it means nothing.

PS5 demand is, of course, higher in the UK.

Seems that idea is gaining traction.
I have no dog in the race of the system war as I own ps5 and series x. There was no doubt ps5 was the winner in 2020 thanks to exclusive like demon soul remake and Miles Morales; both games are amazing. In the beginning of 2021, ps5 got returnal, good game but not my cup of tea, and ratahet and Clank, which look and play amazing but it is so short for $70 price tag. The only other big hitter is deathloop. Series got the Flight simulator out, and with FH5 and Halo coming up in hloiday it can be quite a hit. AND to be honest, at least for usa, both ps5 and series X are essential oos unless you are lucky with restock.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Ahahaha, of course for almost a year it didn't matter for shit and now that PS5 stock is getting better (proven by how much it's selling, UK PS5 is selling almost Switch and Series combined, same for other places in Europe, it outsold Series in NA last month), NOW this shit starts to matter.

Man.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Ahahaha, of course for almost a year it didn't matter for shit and now that PS5 stock is getting better (proven by how much it's selling, UK PS5 is selling almost Switch and Series combined, same for other places in Europe, it outsold Series in NA last month), NOW this shit starts to matter.

Man.

Um, it's to be expected that the PS5 was the more in demand console considering the brand histories and launch lineups.

As such, the PS5 price was always higher. The story here is that's no longer the case.

AnotherOne

Means xsx is hot af..oh wait maybe the new ps5 model is hotter.
vlOxHd7.gif

th4tguy

The PS5 scalp price is as low as it's ever been at $695. I assume this is good news as it might mean we're closer than ever to seeing units on store shelves.

The XBox Series X on the other hand is $715.

Am I reading too much into this or does this suggest that public perception between the two is starting to shift? Is the ship starting to turn around for Microsoft and the XBox brand thanks to their acquisitions and GamePass? Their efforts were bound to pay off eventually but this seems particularly fast.
The halo special edition console drove prices up. It’s temporary.

baphomet

Riiiight....

Don't believe me, I give no fucks.

I'm in numerous reselling groups and have been for nearly a decade. If people aren't making a least a couple hundred it's not worth their time. You should be happy the actual reselling groups moved on from consoles months ago. $200 on a console isn't worth the time when you can make $4k+ on a pair of $200 shoes, and buy them 20 at a time.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Um, it's to be expected that the PS5 was the more in demand console considering the brand histories and launch lineups.

As such, the PS5 price was always higher. The story here is that's no longer the case.

That would only be the story if they were both as supply constrained, which they aren't. Unless you have a theory for why PS5 is outselling the Series everywhere?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Sony is probably producing 3 times as many PS5s as MS is Series X.

Either way, aftermarket value is going to be based on a number of factors. A lot of ridiculously priced PS5s probably never sold in the first place. Scalpers love to keep prices high even if the aftermarket stock isn't remotely selling out.

Last edited:

Keyword is relative to supply. Few months ago we had some leaks that Sony is buying twice as many silicon waffers from AMD as Microsft. And Microsoft splits the number they receive beetween making series X,S and datacenters for xcloud.

Also X has bigger soc size than ps5 through we don't know if both have same yields.

Quasicat

What’s your preference? How did you decide?
For consoles, I found a Series X, but I’m still checking stores for a PS5. As for Covid, I went with J&J. The mRNA stuff is too new for me, plus anecdotally, I know people who got those shots and started having heart issues. J&J has used their technology since the 70s and they had success in their Ebola treatments which is similar in technology. Plus, I’m a wuss and one shot sounded better than two.
Some people will say that it’s not as effective, but no matter which one you pick, getting COVID with a vaccination doesn’t send you to the hospital as bad as not getting vaccinated.

The actual sale speed is more important than the price to be honest. If I have 30 PS5s that are moving at what is perceived to be an amazing deal and only 15 Series X/S that sale slower at a slightly higher price then the math is undeniable.

Top Bottom