• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Sony really only have a single game release for 2023 on PS5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

light2x

The year is about to start and all Sony has for 2023 is Spider-Man 2 as Wolverine already got delayed to 2024.

So that leaves Sony with exactly one AAA game for 2023 for the PS5 and one DLC. What do you guys think this means for Sony's first party in 2023?

AiYoZaGW2Y3vZUSBbYrioL.jpg

I was looking forward to Wolverine releasing year but it's a shame it got delayed. And to be honest I'm not really looking forward to Horizon DLC at all. Not a fan of those games.

Marvel-Wolverine_09-09-21-320x180.jpg

vivftp

Sonys lineup for first party and console exclusive content for 2023 so far is:

Spider-Man 2
Horizon CotM
Horizon FW Burning Shores
Forspoken
Final Fantasy 16
RE8 PSVR2 mode
2 live service games launching before the end of the FY (guessing TLOU MP and Helldivers 2)
MLB23
Destiny 2 Lightfall
Stellar Blade
Firewall Ultra

light2x

Sonys lineup for first party and console exclusive content for 2023 so far is:

Spider-Man 2
Horizon CotM
Forspoken
Final Fantasy 16
RE8 PSVR2 mode
2 live service games launching before the end of the FY (guessing TLOU MP and Helldivers 2)
MLB23
Destiny 2 Lightfall
Stellar Blade
Firewall Ultra
Out of those, only four are first party, one is a PSVR game and one is a multiplatform game. That leaves absolutely 1 major first party exclusive for the PS5 for the entirety of 2023.

So 1 game and 1 DLC for the whole year of 2023.

Last edited:

vivftp

Out of those, only four are first party, one is a PSVR game and one is a multiplatform game. That leaves absolutely 1 major first party exclusive for the PS5 for the entirety of 2023.

So 1 game and 1 DLC for the whole year of 2023.

These are either first party or being published by SIE:

Spider-Man 2
Horizon CotM
MLB23
Destiny 2 Lightfall
Stellar Blade
Firewall Ultra

The two live service games releasing before the end of this FY (March 31, 2023) would also be first party, but they're unannounced as of yet.

That's what's known so far until Sony has their showcase to flesh out their next wave of games

That would be one more than Microsoft had for Xbox in 2022. But, no.

Sony doesn't make a habit of announcing games 5+ years of release and talking about them conference after conference year after year.

Sony will have announced and released a ton of games in the period of time between announcement and release of things like Hellblade 2, Fable 2, Avowed, Elder Scrolls 6, Perfect Dark, etc. They already have.

DarthPutin

I think it's kinda fine if it's just Spider-Man. We needed them this empty year and they delivered. Next year should be overflowing with games, on both sides, with Squeenix exclusives for Sony and MS finally releasing stuff via Bethesda, at least two big games, plus everything multiplat that should be released.

I just want a showcase to have more solid grounds for speculation. TLOU MP would be nice, but they should take their time to avoid most MP's problems with content (still gonna have them, let's be honest, almost everyone does, but no need to rush).

fermcr

When Sony doesn't have 1st party exclusives to launch, they purchase 3rd party exclusives (timed???) like Forspoken and Final Fantasy 16.
Luckily for Sony there are bunch of incompetent people at Microsoft that are incapable of doing the same thing. Microsoft really are no competition for Sony.

Last edited:
MLB is yearly. Factions doesnt have a date but it has to be next year. Ragnarok DLC is just speculation but it makes sense to me.
Ragnarök DLC seems unlikely, last game never had it and team has likely moved onto the other title in development. Think the most we will get is new game+ patch, maybe with new armour etc.

Last edited:

Mowcno

They didn't have a show this year, doesn't mean nothing is launching next year. More will come.

TLOU Multiplayer is almost certainly a 2023 title. There will be some surprises too.

kyliethicc

Factions. Ragnarok DLC probably. MLB.
They didn't have a show this year, doesn't mean nothing is launching next year. More will come.

TLOU Multiplayer is almost certainly a 2023 title. There will be some surprises too.
TLOU Online is not coming out in 2023. Just an "update" aka a reveal trailer.

And Ragnarok not getting DLC. Williams made that clear in an interview.

vivftp

TLOU Online is not coming out in 2023. Just an "update" aka a reveal trailer.

And Ragnarok not getting DLC. Williams made that clear in an interview.
There is absolutely zero reason to proclaim TLOU MP isn't coming in 2023. That's when we'll learn more, per Neil, but that doesn't negate the possibility of it also releasing in 2023. MP titles don't really need the same multi-month/year marketing build-up that single player games typically get. If it does wind up being a F2P game then they could announce and release it on the same day if they really wanted to.

Releasing TLOU MP in proximity to the TLOU HBO series would also be a great marketing move to let them feed off of one another.

Anyways, Jim Ryan has stated that 2 unannounced live service games will launch before the end of this FY. The only live service games we have any inkling of right now are TLOU MP and Helldivers 2, since that leaked and has a trailer. They're at least in the running for a 2023 launch.

kyliethicc

There is absolutely zero reason to proclaim TLOU MP isn't coming in 2023. That's when we'll learn more, per Neil, but that doesn't negate the possibility of it also releasing in 2023. MP titles don't really need the same multi-month/year marketing build-up that single player games typically get. If it does wind up being a F2P game then they could announce and release it on the same day if they really wanted to.

Releasing TLOU MP in proximity to the TLOU HBO series would also be a great marketing move to let them feed off of one another.

Anyways, Jim Ryan has stated that 2 unannounced live service games will launch before the end of this FY. The only live service games we have any inkling of right now are TLOU MP and Helldivers 2, since that leaked and has a trailer. They're at least in the running for a 2023 launch.
lol no

Fbh

Maybe?.
Factions could still come out next year.

They also got FFXVI as a timed exclusive (and Forspoken though after the demo I'm more convinced it will flop)

vivftp

I’m not even expecting Spidey 2 in 2023 given the lack of anything we’ve received.
Insomniac very recently reaffirmed Spider-Man 2 as a 2023 title.

Tough to say if they'd consider Firewall a "live service game". Also worth noting that when Sony's referred to their new live service push, they haven't been including games like Gran Turismo, MLB or even Destiny in the list of games they've announced they'll be launching up until 2025.

Elios83

I’m not even expecting Spidey 2 in 2023 given the lack of anything we’ve received.
Just like God of War missing 2022... 👀 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Btw so far what has been announced are Horizon Call of the Mountain, Horizon Burning Shores, a Destiny 2 expansion, the usual annual MLB game, Stellar Blade, Spiderman 2.
More might be announced (Naughty Dog might be ready to release TLOU online) but it will be a really busy year and they'll also have some big third party exclusives like FFXVI, Silent Hill 2 Remake, possibly FF7R in December. Plus other interesting indie exclusives like Little Devil Inside.

With such a schedule of exclusives plus all the multiplatform games it will be an incredible year for gaming.

I don’t work in the industry. But I feel like if it takes 5-10 years to make a single AAA game something has gotten twisted somewhere. Surely there is a better way.

That said yes it looks light on Sony’s end this year. I’d like factions or at least something from naughty dog but I dunno if that’s possible.

kyliethicc

Insomniac very recently reaffirmed Spider-Man 2 as a 2023 title.

Tough to say if they'd consider Firewall a "live service game". Also worth noting that when Sony's referred to their new live service push, they haven't been including games like Gran Turismo, MLB or even Destiny in the list of games they've announced they'll be launching up until 2025.
MLB is a live service game and is one of the 12 live IP.

As is Firewall. Zero Hour got 10 seasons of updates.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Spiderman 2 is likely to be their biggest release yet. Plus they'll have FF16 as a PS5 exclusive and smaller stuff like TLoU Factions and Horizon expansion. And that's not counting their VR & gaas games I have zero interest in.

Last edited:
Spiderman 2 is likely to be their biggest release yet. Plus they'll have FF16 as a PS5 exclusive and smaller stuff like TLoU Factions and Horizon expansion. And that's not counting their VR & gaas games I have zero interest in.
Is factions gonna come out 2023?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom