• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Sony have an advantage seeing competitors E3 prior to their own event?

LRKD

They absolutely have an advantage, if their event was as bad as the rest they can now delay it for improvements, or even just straight up cancel it lol. Better to be a no show then be like some of the e3 presentations this year. That's assuming there is a event even being worked on.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I think they definitely have the advantage. For example if they feel Microsoft showing was weak they can hold back some game announcements. If they feel Microsoft showing had alot of games they can show of some more games that are further out.

Anyways here are my predictions for this rumoured July 8th event

More on announced games
- God of War Ragnarok (2021)
- Death Stranding Extended Edition
- Abandoned
- Stray
- Friday Night at Freddys
- Jett the Far Shore
- GTAV E+E
- Forsaken
- Deathloop
- Gran Turismo 7
- Horizon FW Trailer, Horizon Patch
DLC
- Ratchet & Clank DLC NG+ Arenas
- Returnal DLC
New
- Ghost of Ikishima
- Call of Duty 2021
- Arrowhead Games New IP
- inJustice 3
- ICO Remake, SotC, LGuardian Patches
- Last of Us Online

A nice mix of updates on old games and new announcements. I think Horizon will be delayed to February 2022, Ghost of Ikishima will be the November 2021 game. Last of Us Online will be a April 2022 game. God of War Ragnarok will be a June 2022 game. And finally Gran Turismo will be a fall 2022 releasing with PlayStation VR2. I also expect Sony to announce Last of Us Remake for next year but at another event for a Q3 2022 release.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Sorry OP, I usually say Xbox has a great chance to beat Playstation. But the first 2 years, there is no way Xbox will beat Sony line up. God of war and horizon zero down are the winners of these 2 years. Gt7 and Forza h5 will be toe to toe. As much as halo is great, there is no way it will carry them against these 2 big hits.

Starfield is what will make Xbox gain the grounds to fight Playstation big hits. After that is avowed, hellblade 2, new doom 2023. 2024 will be fable, perfect dark, outer world 2. But currently Microsoft line up is garbage against Playstation line up. There is no way those line up stand a chance against FW and Gw2.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Do you think Sony is Cheating having their conference after Microsoft's E3? I mean they've had plenty of time to study it and understand where they went wrong. I expect Sony's conference to be much better than Microsofts E3's since they had alot of time to prepare for it to be better. If Sony blows the doors off this presentation I expect Microsoft to drop E3 and do their own thing as well.
I’m sure it is an advantage but it doesn’t guarantee success. Xbox presentation last year went after Sony and it was fairly poor.

Barakov

Do you think Sony is Cheating having their conference after Microsoft's E3? I mean they've had plenty of time to study it and understand where they went wrong. I expect Sony's conference to be much better than Microsofts E3's since they had alot of time to prepare for it to be better. If Sony blows the doors off this presentation I expect Microsoft to drop E3 and do their own thing as well.
Eh.....All Sony has to do is show a couple good games and it's automatically better than E3.

maybe a little but sony pretty much have these things planned in advance. i doubt they change anything regardless of how E3 went. they have their own plan and they stick to it.

Yoboman

I dont think conferences work like this at all

There is probably 12-24 months of planning that goes into them. Besides maybe pulling games to show at a later date or slipping in a slide that undercuts the competitor (eg the infamous game sharing and reselling one) there's not much else you can do

They can't just conjure new games from nowhere, even games well in development need lead time to have something to show to the public

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
3WcNeh3.jpg

Dlacy13g

Cheating? No... But, I get the OP thought on this and yes I think it can be somewhat advantageous to Sony to go a few weeks later. Certainly they "could' have some time to react to certain things and put something into their show to try and counter something they saw that was big enough that they needed to respond to it. That said they likely will still have the same show they planned on regardless of what happened.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
No idea if it will matter for this event but that is definitely a Sony strategy. Look no further than the E3 where Xbox was destroyed for their used game policy on Xbox One. Sony had the same idea but did a 180 after they saw the backlash and even used it as a way to make themselves look better by comparison.
Cheating? No. A Sony strategy, definitely - See Also "We believe in generations"

Anyway, what's the date for the Sony conference and is it an actual full on conference or just a State of Play?

The Alien

Banned
Cheating? No.
Competitive advantage? Sure

Obviously they've used this in the past ("this is how Sony shares games"). Rumor was they also had a kinect like device bundled in. After Microsoft's show, they removed it and lowered the price. The rest is history.

Also saw some of that chicken game when recently announcing next-gen hardware.

Part of me thinks, as a market leader, they should go when they want (which is almost never first)....but def feel its their prerogative to go whenever they feel like it.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Are you suggesting Sony did all of this in the HOURS between Xbox's and PlayStation's conferences?
Yes. Most people know this and have said it for years. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. When things can get pulled last minute which has happened on numerous shows from all companies, having 6+ hours to make a decision that would in a way be a death blow to your competition is an eternity. The biggest difference is that Sony didn't have the camera connected to PS4 truly making it optional where as Microsoft for whatever stupid reason had it connected to the console.

Yoboman

Yes. Most people know this and have said it for years. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. When things can get pulled last minute which has happened on numerous shows from all companies, having 6+ hours to make a decision that would in a way be a death blow to your competition is an eternity. The biggest difference is that Sony didn't have the camera connected to PS4 truly making it optional where as Microsoft for whatever stupid reason had it connected to the console.
Sounds like a coping mechanism dug right out of 2013

Please tell me you're joking. That's the most absurd thing I've heard in a while. What you are suggesting is impossible.

Do you have any idea how many different parties would have to be involved in a decision and change like that?

Not to mention that theory suggests Sony wanted to sell the PS4 with a camera for $500, when thry thought the Xbox One would be $400. But, since Xbox was $500, then they needed to change it to $400 (so before they planned to be the one that was $100 more, but just couldn't deal with being the same exact price , so they did a 180 and had to be a $100 less?).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Please tell me you're joking. That's the most absurd thing I've heard in a while. What you are suggesting is impossible.

Do you have any idea how many different parties would have to be involved in a decision and change like that?

Not to mention that theory suggests Sony wanted to sell the PS4 with a camera for $500, when thry thought the Xbox One would be $400. But, since Xbox was $500, then they needed to change it to $400 (so before they planned to be the one that was $100 more, but just couldn't deal with being the same exact price , so they did a 180 and had to be a $100 less?).

"Most people know", my ass. No one believes this crazy conspiracy theory.
I'm not joking at all.

I'm not joking at all.

Read the article. If they did this, it wasn't the same day before their conference. They informed retailers, but managed to keep it from Microsoft.

Yoboman

I'm not joking at all.

Your source claims they cut it months before and you are claiming they did it hours before

RCU005

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

... no, I don't.

Honestly, I don't think the timing matters that much. Look at MS vs. Nintendo. Does that even matter to anyone that one was a couple days later? No.

I think the reality is Sony isn't showing anything right now because they have nothing to show at the moment. They'll do their thing when they're ready.

I do think that their attitude is coming off as arrogant though, and that its a shame they seem intent on diluting and damaging an annual celebration of games I've enjoyed for decades like it was Christmas. Their current marketing and messaging approach is not making me feel any goodwill towards them right now, and MS appears to have massively increased goodwill with their presser.

you said it yourself: Sony isn't showing anything because they have nothing to show. Why is that arrogant?

People is perceiving it like that because they have created nonexistent scenarios in which Sony has so many games to show like Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid remake, etc. which are just invented rumors pulled out from someone's ass, but then people believe them and blame Sony for not showing anything.

They have been doing their own thing for couple years and have work for them, so they are continuing doing so.

The marketing approach is working for them because the PS5 is selling out instantly.

Why do you say there's no goodwill from Sony? because they are not announcing made up games that rumors say?

Microsoft is having to work much more because they are trying to recover from the Xbox One disaster. The same thing happened to Sony with the PS4 and to Nintendo with the Wii U.

sainraja

I'm not joking at all.

I don't think you read the articles you are quoting. Sony made the move months in advance according to that article (where the author does not cite or name their sources). Not in direct response to the E3 show after it was aired. Shouldn't always go by the headlines.

According to multiple sources, in the months leading up to E3, Sony nixed plans to include the camera add-on with every system and shave $100 off its originally planned price of $499. Most importantly, it did so quietly, informing its retail partners only of the removal of the camera, not specifying the lower price so as not to tip its hand to Microsoft.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
No idea if it will matter for this event but that is definitely a Sony strategy. Look no further than the E3 where Xbox was destroyed for their used game policy on Xbox One. Sony had the same idea but did a 180 after they saw the backlash and even used it as a way to make themselves look better by comparison.
9f5f892c022192c371562ebc92e2724d_w200.gif

Yoboman

It took MS months to rework their OS and systems to undo the used games BS including a massive download on launch systems to update the system

If Sony were doing it as well, why didn't they have the same hurdle?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I simply don't believe that it was months before yet articles and reports didn't come out until late June 2013? Like, really? In the day and age of the internet, almost nothing is hidden. A better question would be why were they thinking of adding a camera and charging all you Sony fans (including me by the way) an extra $100 to begin with? Sony changed months earlier to beat Microsoft on price but yet, it wasn't known until the day of the conferences that Microsoft was charging $500 with Kinect. People can believe whatever they want. I see a company in Microsoft who fucked up and a company in Sony who changed some shit that fucking day and took advantage of Microsoft's fuck up because if you're Sony, why wouldn't you?

Thread making privilege's should be earned in some way.

It will go a long way to curb such garbage threads on this forum.

Oh well the mods won't do shit so I'll place OP and this thread on ignore.

Yoboman

I simply don't believe that it was months before yet articles and reports didn't come out until late June 2013? Like, really? In the day and age of the internet, almost nothing is hidden. A better question would be why were they thinking of adding a camera and charging all you Sony fans (including me by the way) an extra $100 to begin with? Sony changed months earlier to beat Microsoft on price but yet, it wasn't known until the day of the conferences that Microsoft was charging $500 with Kinect. People can believe whatever they want. I see a company in Microsoft who fucked up and a company in Sony who changed some shit that fucking day and took advantage of Microsoft's fuck up because if you're Sony, why wouldn't you?
You dont believe your own posted sources now?

Sony probably dropped it months before because they saw that people were already over the Kinect fad and motion controls in general. MS didn't read the room

But whatever fits your agenda, bro

sainraja

It took MS months to rework their OS and systems to undo the used games BS including a massive download on launch systems to update the system

If Sony were doing it as well, why didn't they have the same hurdle?
Sony is just better at making software than MS is! 🤣

(I'm joking)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
You dont believe your own posted sources now?

Sony probably dropped it months before because they saw that people were already over the Kinect fad and motion controls in general. MS didn't read the room

But whatever fits your agenda, bro

The source posted the article June 26th 2013. Sony informed retailers months earlier and not a single person leaked it??? HAHAHAHA. Yeah, right. Shit gets leaked all the time. Sony doesn't need to hide the price if they're telling you they removed the camera because you would already know the price is going to be at least $100 lower. I mean come on.

No agendas here man. I own both PS5 and XSX. The only agenda I have is not being loyal to any company regardless of who it is.

Dr Kaneda

I remember Cory Balrog said they took like over half a year to prepare that GOW demo at E3 2016. So it's not as simple as seeing what MS did 2-3 weeks ago and then 1-UPing them, these things takes months and months of planning and preparation.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sony absolutely is worried about Microsoft, and the opposite is true too. What a load of shit post above me
Sony know what they're doing. They've taken 3 out of the 4 generations since they've been in gaming

This will most likely be the 4th generation where Sony leads in console sales

teezzy

Banned
Sony know what they're doing. They've taken 3 out of the 4 generations since they've been in gaming

This will most likely be the 4th generation where Sony leads in console sales

I'm not saying they don't. I enjoy Playstation, and have owned all their hardware aside from Vita and PS5. I just get irritated by the cult-like fanbase and all their proprietary nonsense.

The very idea that Sony isn't concerned and taking notes on what Microsoft has been doing in regards to GamePass or what Nintendo is doing with Switch is silly. They're in competition for a reason.

Top Bottom