• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Sony have an advantage seeing competitors E3 prior to their own event?

SNG32

Do you think Sony is Cheating having their conference after Microsoft's E3? I mean they've had plenty of time to study it and understand where they went wrong. I expect Sony's conference to be much better than Microsofts E3's since they had alot of time to prepare for it to be better. If Sony blows the doors off this presentation I expect Microsoft to drop E3 and do their own thing as well.

seth meyers wtf GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Nah, but I think people expect it to be better than it will be given the wait and hype, I think there a 60% chance it'll be really good and enjoyable, 20% chance it will be disappointing/shit and 20% chance it will be amazing showing stuff we've never seen before that blows us away. Even if its the latter "amazing show" though I bet those games will be years away, like 2023 with no month dates, or "end of 2023", meaning it will probably be 2024. Or just no date at all.

I'll be really happy if they show off most of the stuff from the big 2020 PS5 show, maybe get an update on the really far out stuff and more in depth on Horizon 2, showing something really new form of traversal or something like that.

I want to see Aloy sliding down a robo-titanosaur tail and shouting:

"Yabba *breath* dabba *breath* doo!"

Last edited:
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

... no, I don't.

Honestly, I don't think the timing matters that much. Look at MS vs. Nintendo. Does that even matter to anyone that one was a couple days later? No.

I think the reality is Sony isn't showing anything right now because they have nothing to show at the moment. They'll do their thing when they're ready.

I do think that their attitude is coming off as arrogant though, and that its a shame they seem intent on diluting and damaging an annual celebration of games I've enjoyed for decades like it was Christmas. Their current marketing and messaging approach is not making me feel any goodwill towards them right now, and MS appears to have massively increased goodwill with their presser.

MaDBrute

Banned
Do you think Sony is Cheating having their conference after Microsoft's E3? I mean they've had plenty of time to study it and understand where they went wrong. I expect Sony's conference to be much better than Microsofts E3's since they had alot of time to prepare for it to be better. If Sony blows the doors off this presentation I expect Microsoft to drop E3 and do their own thing as well.
Yes, they are going to hire 100k developers and develops 7 games in a span of one month.

What conference? 🤔

Drewpee

Banned

No idea if it will matter for this event but that is definitely a Sony strategy. Look no further than the E3 where Xbox was destroyed for their used game policy on Xbox One. Sony had the same idea but did a 180 after they saw the backlash and even used it as a way to make themselves look better by comparison.

yurinka

Sony is the market leader and MS a distant 3rd, Sony isn't worried about them.

They don't give a fuck about MS E3 presentation, the new game exclusives they announced were only another Forza Horizon (which looks great) and a bunch of CGs, and a bunch of multis or timed exclusives that will end on PlayStation. Nothing that will require them to tweak their plans.

Sure, Game Pass will get nice games for this an next year. But Sony's gaming division makes way more money than MS gaming division and Sony gets more money from their game subscriptions than MS and does it in a more profitable way, signing mostly older games.

So no need to worry or to rush, they will have their next game showcase when ready or when they consider it. As of now Sony doesn't need to rise the hype because they are selling out in a few minutes all the consoles they can produce, so maybe are saving the big announcements for once they have offer and demand more balanced after solving the chips issue.

On top of that, big companies plan ahead their main stuff several years ahead (to decide if they or when they will release a console revision or PSVR2, or to set up their exclusives roadmap, or to decide the next gen PS Now changes and focus) and only do small tweaks like making reveals a bit sooner or later, or delay something, depending on short term circumstances.

In fact, Sony skipping E3 did help MS to giving them more attention and 'win E3', which means nothing.

If Sony would have considered it was important for them, they could have been there to reveal the first gameplay of Horizon and GoW, announce there Death Stranding Directors Cut and the Firewalk game (that can be released next year, they have been working on it since 2018 so the game announcement must be close) plus to show more of some big known 2022 exclusives like GT7 or FFXVI and maybe announce Insomniac's 2022 game (Spider-Man 2?) and TLOU2 Factions, plus the reveal of the next CoD. Without big surprises or changes compared to what we know or can assume, they would have 'won E3' again.

But they didn't do it because didn't need it. They'll do their own stuff when they consider it's the proper time to do it, and away from other companies presentations to make sure they get the full attention.

And well, they didn't cheat because there aren't rules related to when a company decides to show their games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
MS waited two months last year after Sony went in early June. Did they cheat?

Sony already knows what they need to do. It's not their first rodeo. The only issue is that this is not the same Sony we all saw in E3 2015 and 2016. So no idea what they are going to do. We dont even know if they are going to have a conference yet. It's just rumors at this point.

Last edited:

splattered

Cheating no but it at least gives them the time to try and prioritize some megatons to counter starfield and other stuff that was well received. If Microsoft had fumbled their conference Sony fans very well may have gotten a big indie/VR showcase with a couple bigger games tossed into the mix.

TrueLegend

Playing safe is their thing now. Same with PS5 and UI reveal.I want a Sekiro mod that changes every enemy into Jim Ryan so I can do his seppuku for him to tell him "Hesitation is defeat, Jimbo". I am pretty sure they will show GOW:R, Forspoken, Finafantasy XVI, New GOT 1.5, Deathloop, and Ghostwire Tokyo in their conference with Kena launching. They will also introduce PC announcements of Bloodborne Remaster and PS5 launch, Uncharted 4 Pc Launch and PS5 remaster, Perhaps GOT too on PC, Last of Us Remake with maybe new mission tying it to the second game(drunkfuckery). With Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade, Bloodborne remastered with a price tag is given. Now only if they released a 60 fps patch for horizon zero dawn to hype Horizon: Forbidden west like they did with Ratchet and Clank 2016 game, I will be more forgiving to Jimbo is his "we believe in generations" back-peddling.

• LOL
Reactions: MrS

Nickolaidas

Banned
Sony is probably the strongest or second strongest brand name in video games in the entire world.

They can post a video of Jim Ryan taking a dump and it would hit 2 billion views in a day.

They don't need E3 to advertise their gaming products. It's the other way around.

Are they being arrogant asses for ignoring E3? In my opinion, yes.

Will it help their views if all eye are focused on them in a day? I think so.

Are they cheating? Not really. In the end, unlike console price reveals, it doesn't matter whose first in E3. Only who has the best games.

GymWolf

No.

They can't prepare a big vertical slice of gameplay for a couple of big games in a month, if they already have them, good, but they can hardly create something tangible in such a small time window.

Also, how do you conceptually beat something as good as gamepass unless you have a stronger counter-proposal?!

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Sony is probably the strongest or second strongest brand name in video games in the entire world.

They can post a video of Jim Ryan taking a dump and it would hit 2 billion views in a day.

They don't need E3 to advertise their gaming products. It's the other way around.

Are they being arrogant asses for ignoring E3? In my opinion, yes.

Will it help their views if all eye are focused on them in a day? I think so.

Are they cheating? Not really. In the end, unlike console price reveals, it doesn't matter whose first in E3. Only who has the best games.
They are not being arrogant asses for ignoring E3. ESA royally fked them in their ass last time they were around when they, made Sony to change their venue at last minute. Honestly, I want Geoff Keighley's summer game fest to replace E3. I hate all the drama but he at least has the skills to manage stuff unlike ESA.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
While Sony does have an advantage going after Microsoft, it's not cheating. It's the smart thing to do. They went after Microsoft in 2013, removed the camera from the PS4 and lowered the price to $400 after seeing Microsoft bundle in Kinect for $500.

While im pretty sure that Sony's State of Play showcase (or whatever it's being called) has already been recorded as things are starting to leak from it, Sony can always add/remove something last minute. In fact, this happens all the time.

As for Microsoft going away from E3, Spencer is on the ESA Board or some such shit so Xbox will always be part of E3 as long as there is an E3.

Reactions: MrS

anthony2690

Banned
I can imagine the main benefit is you can see what resonates well with audiences and what doesn't and you can plan accordingly.

Kinda like when Microsoft got back lash for saying they will support Xbox one with crossgen games and Sony said otherwise at the time.

It worked well in their favour and gave them a positive buzz leading up to release etc.

Or even the infamous 299 moment after the Sega Saturn show (honestly Sega were there own worst enemy back then though)

wolywood

Is it "cheating"? Of course not. Does Sony benefit from seeing their direct competitor show their cards first? Of course they do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom