• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Sony Counter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey.

I know this has probably been discussed til nauseum but I still can't believe that MS bought Bethesda. For a gamer like me, I was pretty confident that all the typical blockbuster multi-plat games would remain multi-plat. Missing out on TES, Fallout, Starfield, etc. is a huge deal. That almost forces me to get an XSX down the line so brilliant move from MS.

Although, I'll probably buy both consoles again this gen...my question is:
- Do you think that Sony will counter and reveal a big acquisition?
- Many rumours that Sony paid for an exclusive/timed exclusive for GTA6, do you think there's any truth there?
- Do you think there's a chance Bethesda IPs end up on PS5 as well? I'm think MS has the advantage because of GamePass or perhaps a timed exclusive but my gut feeling is that its an full exclusive to Xbox.

Thoughts?

MrS

Banned
No, no need to yet. Down the line if they're struggling? Sure.
- Many rumours that Sony paid for an exclusive/timed exclusive for GTA6, do you think there's any truth there?
Yep, I believe that. Great way to move consoles
- Do you think there's a chance Bethesda IPs end up on PS5 as well?
I don't think there's any chance of that happening and MS would be foolish to allow it to happen.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
9leP6cE.png

AmuroChan

1. Probably not, because it's unlikely they'll acquire a publisher as big as Bethesda. I do, however, think they'll reveal their new San Diego studio soon, who's rumored to be working on Uncharted 5.
2. Again, unlikely. GTA is too massive to be a timed exclusive for any platform.
3. Some definitely will. By releasing Bethesda's games on PS5 for $70, it actually makes Gamepass even more attractive.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
1. I have no idea what Sony will do regarding acquisitions
2. I've heard a lot of GTA6 timed exclusivity rumors too and considering how much moneyhatting Sony has already revealed for next gen, I'm inclined to believe it
3. I do not think there is a chance Bethesda Softworks games will end up on any console but Xbox beyond any existing moneyhats/contracts

Ellery

- They probably will one day, but it is not like they desperately need it right now. The only thing Sony needs right now is the vault from Scrooge McDuck for all that preorder money
- I don't believe in GTA 6 coming out anytime before 2023 and no deals are in place yet.
- Yes there is a chance, but I think besides Deathloop and Ghostwire the next Bethesda games will be PC and Xbox only. Maybe Xbox Gamepass first, then PC gamepass then PS5 digital/physical for Full Price one year later or so?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
care-so-little.gif

I get it, some of you are fans of their games.
I like DOOM and TEW, and yeah there is a cult following their WRPG
but all their games become £15 on Amazon within a year and mostly nobody cares
And the big sellers are more popular on Xbox anyway because they use to be Xbox exclusives

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think Sony HAS to counter.

They'll be fine for the next couple of years but once Microsoft's 24 studios starts churning out exclusives it'll be difficult for current Sony (14 studios) to compete.

Microsoft is going to be a monster in 2022 and beyond.

Kokoloko85

Id rather they invest and expand there studios. But a couple new studios wouldn’t be bad.

Its not going to be easy for MS to keep supporting these studios with Gamepass money. Either a drop in quality or quantity will happen

Keihart

I would be more worried about game prices...between that 70 tag and the Steam/Epic/GoG prices, it's looking like a very hard sell getting most games on PS if you have the option, at least for me, even when i prefer playing on my console.

Antelope

Reactively buying companies to keep pace with your competition is a sure-fire way to go out of business. Most mergers and acquisitions fail or fizzle.

Sony Corp. aggressively trimmed down ten years ago because they were way too bloated and losing money. Now they have cash on hand and an excellent credit rating. Their current strategy seems to be selective acquisitions with proven partners and/or for strategic tech they want for their picture/movie/game sector.

So I expect moves like buying Insomniac—a proven and prolific partner—not buying out entire publishers with strong IP but weak performance. Maybe they will buy Bluepoint, Housemarque, Or make a bigger deal with Epic considering how cozy the two have become.

Drewpee

Banned
I know this has probably been discussed til nauseum but I still can't believe that MS bought Bethesda. For a gamer like me, I was pretty confident that all the typical blockbuster multi-plat games would remain multi-plat. Missing out on TES, Fallout, Starfield, etc. is a huge deal. That almost forces me to get an XSX down the line so brilliant move from MS.

- Do you think there's a chance Bethesda IPs end up on PS5 as well? I'm think MS has the advantage because of GamePass or perhaps a timed exclusive but my gut feeling is that its an full exclusive to Xbox.

Thoughts?

I think there is truth to the GTA6 rumor but it matters so much less than it did before the Bethesda announcement. That move puts everything into perspective and the 3rd party exclusivity deals by Sony seem petty by comparison. It will absolutely move consoles for them in the short term though.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Sony doesn't need to counter MS in my opinion. This also isn't a zero sum game, they can both "win". Sony is most likely going to continue to sell a shot ton of hardware and software, and MS will sell more hardware and software than they did in the previous gen.

ayokunaj

Yes. They can counter my investing more in their WW studios. Elevate most of them to multiple team/franchise studios.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Thoughts?
How many threads of this do we need? Did you somehow miss the 500 others?

All_Might

The acquisition of Zenimax was brilliant from Microsoft. I am definitely planning on playing Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI, I don’t know if I’ll upgrade my pc or buy an Xbox Series X for it. That could very well be the first Xbox I will ever buy. I don’t know if Sony really needs to counter with another acquisition, since their game output is very strong anyway. But if they did something like Grand theft auto, that would surely change a lot of things (though I don’t think that’s very realistic).

Blond

Banned
I just still think it’s hilarious the internet spent ten years shitting on Bethesda and now they’re suddenly the most valuable company on earth. The best games from them weren’t even developed by them but published, I’m more annoyed at the loss of Tango and ID than Bethesda lol

Sony have the most powerful weapon in modern times....... Brand loyalty.

The PS5 could be filled with used tampons and it would still outsell the Series X.
Yeah history has proven us this wasn't the case.

People happily jumped ship from Nintendo to Sony with the PS1, despite Sony being the new kid on the block.

Sega failed to retain its customer base with the Dreamcast/Saturn.

Xbox blew up from 24M sales to 85M sales with the 360 whereas Sony sold half as many PS3's as PS2's.

The Wii U was a colossal flop compared to the Wii.

If the PS5 ends up sucking, people will have no qualms about ditching it for the Xbox.

Brand loyalty in the video game market is weak despite what the vocal fanboys would have you believe.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Sony don’t have enough money to buy exclusivity of GTA6 lol. The game has made *billions* of dollars. Probably tens of billions of dollars by now. They also don’t have enough money to make an acquisition like zenimax.

They don’t need to do anything, the generation is theirs to lose, and there’s really nothing they could do to lose it.

Yeah history has proven us this wasn't the case.

People happily jumped ship from Sony to Nintendo with the PS1, despite Sony being the new kid on the block.

Sega failed to retain its customer base with the Dreamcast/Saturn.

Xbox blew up from 24M sales to 85M sales with the 360 whereas Sony sold half as many PS3's as PS2's.

The Wii U was a colossal flop compared to the Wii.

If the PS5 ends up sucking, people will have no qualms about ditching it for the Xbox.

Brand loyalty in the video game market is weak despite what the vocal fanboys would have you believe.

All those happened because of one thing. Exclusive games.

If MS leverages the Bethesda deal, it could eat into Sonys marketshare in a massive way. Announcing Starfield, ES6 and FO5/New vegas 2 as an xbox exclusive would be the biggest FU Sony ever got since the PS3 days.

All those happened because of one thing. Exclusive games.

If MS leverages the Bethesda deal, it could eat into Sonys marketshare in a massive way. Announcing Starfield, ES6 and FO5/New vegas 2 as an xbox exclusive would be the biggest FU Sony ever got since the PS3 days.
No, and that's grossly oversimplifying the reality of the market.

sincarra

Sony doesn’t really need to purchase major studios. Microsoft’s reason stemmed from a lack of first party exclusives—or rather a lack of consistency. This counter is simply releasing great exclusives, which they‘all continue to do. And they’ll all be successful: Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft.

My only hope for this generation is that Sony gives us an online multiplayer game. Maybe a SOCOM or even Resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom