• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Microsoft Owning Bethesda mean the end of free Community mods for future games?

I haven't been keeping up with Starfield or Tes6, but I am a bit concerned. Microsoft pushes their games into the horrible locked down Windows Store. You can't even view the game files. So if you wanted to tweak an .ini file, mod the games, etc...
Blocked. Bethesda tried to push paid mods down our throats with the creation club. I could see them making it all paid for and using their in game storefront for mods. As someone who plays these games on PC and likes mods as well as playing on steam deck, this thought is horrible.

Do you think Microsoft will push this, blocking community mods? Will these games come to steam?
Any thoughts on this, or was this announced on how they will be doing mod and game launches in the future?

Codes 208

They havent yet so why do you expect they will now?

Hell, before they bought bethesda they were the only one that let bethesda add mods support right away on xbox, sony took months to finally cave in on that and even when they did they were super strict about what mods could be added.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Microsoft pushes their games into the horrible locked down Windows Store.
Do you think Microsoft will push this, blocking community mods? Will these games come to steam?
Dunno why you are getting so concerned, all their games have been available on Steam day 1 since 2019. They didn't lock anything to Windows Store(except for the Bedrock edition Minecraft, but then you have Java edition on PC).

Mods still work fine in everything. Even the Window Store based games have had changes. I can rummage through the files now and while I still can't implement mods in all Windows Store games it's a start. I can modify Flight Sim already and games like Fallout 4 or Fallout 76 have the same limited mod support as the Xbox console versions through the creation club. While running F4SE and mods requiring it don't work to my knowledge on the Wondows Store version of Fallout 4 (correct if I'm wrong, I've literally never tried), the steam versions of every Microsoft game released have been modifiable. Master Chief Collection even has mod-friendly servers.

Seems the guy in charge of Xbox likes to see people making money by making and selling mod packs in their games based on interview on the subject when Flight Sim was being released. Bethesda has always supported the mod community and while the Creation Club isn't ideal it's better than an outright ban or block on modding in their games. The outlier there being Fallout 76 which is an online-only game.

I'll be concerned when and if mods aren't supported in Starfield, but Todd has already used the line "people will probably mod that in later anyways" regarding the game in an interview. He obviously expects modders to be a huge part of the new game.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m guessing the fear comes from Skyrim Anniversary Edition or whatever it was called, that had everyone scrambling to stop updates for their existing game before the update ruined their mods?

I don’t think there will be any issues since the games are releasing on Steam.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If you cut off modding, you cut off what is likely among the longest tails any PC game has. The modding communities keep games alive for years, way beyond the expectancy of any normal game. It's been 11 years and Skyrim had some of its best, most revolutionary mods in the last year.

Top Bottom