• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Horizon forbidden west looks next gen or current gen?

Does HW FW looks next gen or current Gen?

• Next Gen

• Current Gen

Results are only viewable after voting.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You should watch again if you didn't see the water dripping from her body and clothes, it's not obvious due to bright light. RT won't enhance greatly, especially outdoor open world games like this. It doesn't have many shiny surfaces like mirrors, RDR2 looks great but has Lots of low poly models everywhere and also low textures on some characters, hair rendering on RDR2 looks shit. Skin rendering in this game is also superior than RDR2. Horizon 3 will look better than this but this game is already looking like great especially character models.

Gameplaywise it is subjective due to how they have different game design . RDR2 is more like realistic western cowboy shooter, Horizon is more like apocalyptic world with fictional dino bots. Personally i feel RDR2 is more boring, I played both games and love them both. For storyline RDR2 is better no contest, but for gameplay HZD is better. That's my opinion.
The 'she didnt look wet' is wild because you can clearly see it looking at it on a big screen. Same for 'the vegetation doesnt move' It does, its subtle but its there.

Are ppl looking at it in low quality or on phones? Small monitors? Start at 6:07

Her shorts n boots even look wet.

Last edited:
You should watch again if you didn't see the water dripping from her body and clothes, it's not obvious due to bright light. RT won't enhance greatly, especially outdoor open world games like this. It doesn't have many shiny surfaces like mirrors, RDR2 looks great but has Lots of low poly models everywhere and also low textures on some characters, hair rendering on RDR2 looks shit. Skin rendering in this game is also superior than RDR2. Horizon 3 will look better than this but this game is already looking like great especially character models.

Gameplaywise it is subjective due to how they have different game design . RDR2 is more like realistic western cowboy shooter, Horizon is more like apocalyptic world with fictional dino bots. Personally i feel RDR2 is more boring, I played both games and love them both. For storyline RDR2 is better no contest, but for gameplay HZD is better. That's my opinion.
I have watched 4k footage on big tv. No wet clothes in trailer.

And Everything you said about RDR2 textures and graphics is horse shit. Where you played Xbox one or PS4 or Pro? Low settings pc coz you are only person who said such nonsense about RDR2 to defend your beloved Horizon 3 lol. On One X and high end PC graphics are pristine. Few random NPCs got low poly doesnt mean anything, overall look is as good as any nextgen game out there. You think Horizon 3 will have every NPCs fully detailed as Aloy? Lol

RDR2 got one of the best graphics of any open world out there. It has realistic look to everything not overly saturated stylized look like Horizon. So to some people Horizon might look better coz of bright colourful art style but that doesn't mean its best looking nextgen game nd all. I prefer look of games like Last of Us 2 and RDR2 more. Last of us 2 still look miles ahead in terms of animation than Horizon.

I can put list of 100 things that RDR2 does that no other open world can even dream of achieving. You want me to post? We can compare then. Im all set to go deep dive into discussion with videos and gifs.

jroc74

I find this really hard to believe. Because I can see it on my 27 inch monitor.

You can go back to the beginning of the clip and compare it from 6:07. You can see the difference.....

Yeah, I knew this clip was gonna get picked apart to hell and back, but no need to make up stuff.

Last edited:

Galatico91

And Everything you said about RDR2 textures and graphics is horse shit. Where you played Xbox one or PS4 or Pro? Low settings pc coz you are only person who said such nonsense about RDR2 to defend your beloved Horizon 3 lol. On One X and high end PC graphics are pristine. Few random NPCs got low poly doesnt mean anything, overall look is as good as any nextgen game out there. You think Horizon 3 will have every NPCs fully detailed as Aloy? Lol

RDR2 got one of the best graphics of any open world out there. It has realistic look to everything not overly saturated stylized look like Horizon. So to some people Horizon might look better coz of bright colourful art style but that doesn't mean its best looking nextgen game nd all. I prefer look of games like Last of Us 2 and RDR2 more. Last of us 2 still look miles ahead in terms of animation than Horizon.

I can put list of 100 things that RDR2 does that no other open world can even dream of achieving. You want me to post? We can compare then. Im all set to go deep dive into discussion with videos and gifs.

Are you sure?

Gonna watch this in 4K before making a decision. When I first watched it, it looked current gen imo - it was amazing, but wasn't wowed in anyway. I mean, is it doing anything different/better than TLOU 2 was doing on a base PS4?

I notice the hair still going through the character models, also - I know nobody cares, but her hair would get tangled as fuck any time she tried pulling a weapon out; especially after being in water.

Rea

So much hyperbolic.
Nah, don't waste my time. The HW FW is not even out yet and at least half a year away from launch but still you're claiming" no other games can even dream of achieving ". LOL. Let's see when the game comes out.
Check her inner pants. Check her skin, lots of water dripping. Her armor is made of some kind of water repellent materials, so it won't wet.

The 'she didnt look wet' is wild because you can clearly see it looking at it on a big screen. Same for 'the vegetation doesnt move' It does, its subtle but its there.

Are ppl looking at it in low quality or on phones? Small monitors? Start at 6:07

Her shorts n boots even look wet.

Lol Bro. There aren't any wet physics lol. Stop it. Wet physics in other games stays on character for few secs. She looked all dry moment she came out.

Are you sure?

Go play Tlou2, Uncharted 4,GTAV or RDR2 or Valhalla or Odyssey to see some impressive wet clothes physics. Clothes stays wet for good amount of secs even when they come out of water. In Horizon 3, she instantly dry moment she out? If wet clothes physics there as you said then its really badly done coz i cant see it but i can in other games i mentioned above lol.

I want to see Wet Aloy dammit.

Last edited:

jroc74

Lol Bro. There aren't any wet physics lol. Stop it. Wet physics in other games stays on character for few secs. She looked all dry moment she came out.

Go play Tlou2, Uncharted 4,GTAV or RDR2 or Valhalla or Odyssey to see some impressive wet clothes physics. Clothes stays wet for good amount of secs even when they come out of water. In Horizon 3, she instantly dry moment she out? If wet clothes physics there as you said then its really badly done coz i cant see it but i can in other games i mentioned above lol.

Your words:

There's nothing about HFW to make it nextgen, pretty graphics isnt enough to be called nextgen coz there are lot of pretty games out there. I mean Aloy clothes doesn't even get wet when she comes out of water lol. No wet physics in the game lol.

Now you are comparing how its done vs other games?

And again, she isnt instantly dry...lol. Compare her before she gets in vs out the water....

Last edited:
Probably the first hint of Next-Gen I've seen.
Yeah sure there are other factors that go on behind the curtain that people talk about being Next-Gen and it may or may not lack it.
But you have to explain that shit to people and understand it.
With H2:FW you can just look at it and say that's Next-Gen, no explanation needed.
Its not the first next gen looking game, you forgot R&C, that game looks also defenitly next gen.

I fucking love the art style of Horizon. Yeah it's not realistic but neither are ROBOT DINOSAURS.

GHG

Gold Member
UE5 demo was using 8k textures. Was Horizon using 8k textures. UE5 demo showed us how fast SSD is by streaming insane amount details really fast?. UE5 not possible on PS4 but Horizon 2 is on PS4. So if game is on PS4 then how its nextgen, its cross gen.

Flight sim only on nextgen hardware. PC and seriesX. Its doing something no other game ever did. You can't compare it with any game. Its most nextgen game ever lol.

Horizon 2 not doing anything special to make it a nextgen game. You would hope it will do atleast RT, but its not even doing that. Its pretty colourful game with improved animations (still look inferior to Last of us 2 animations) that's it.

I brought RT in discussion coz its not doing anything else which we can is nextgen.

With each post there seems to be more qualifiers for the checklist. Before it was 4k/60fps and raytracing, now we also have a whole host of other things being added to the list.

Just so I'm understanding your logic here, the following need to be a factor?:
  • 8k textures
  • Only possible on next gen hardware
  • 4k/60fps
  • raytracing

I brought up flight sim as a reference point before so lets apply your logic here for Flight Sim 2020:

8k textures? Nope, only available via mods.

Only possible on next gen hardware? Nope. It was announced to be releasing on Xbox One and recent news points towards that still being a thing:

4k/60fps? Nope, not even on the best PC hardware currently available:

Raytracing? Big fat no.

So, according to your very own logic Flight Simulator 2020 is not a next gen game.

To make matters worse, even when you look at UE5, support will be coming for last gen consoles as well:

UE5 will be available in preview in early 2021, with a full release slated for late 2021. It'll support next-generation consoles, current-generation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.

So in summary, through creating all these arbitrary qualifiers with which you are using to back yourself into a corner:

Dont Play Yourself I Love You GIF by Music Choice

I have a tip to make life easier for you going forwards, especially with E3 on the horizon: Just use your eyes.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I dunno, I feel like you are conflating art direction against tech. And to be fair, they DO go hand-in-hand, Horizon has always had a very strong art direction when it comes to world design and enemy robo-dinos and it does a lot to make it look great because you aren't used to seeing things like it.

I don't think Horizon looks better than CP2077, but I do think it looks as good because it has such unique art direction. It's the same reason that BotW looks amazing, playing BotW on PC at just an upscaled resolution and framerate really helps that art-direction shine through and helps the game look great. We both agree on Flight Sim though.

Horizon doesn't seem like it's doing much more than what we've seen on PS4 already. It definitely looks good, but it doesn't look like it's ONLY possible on next-gen hardware and I'd even say the onus is on people to point out how it can only be done on next-gen than those that say "show me a game that looks as good" as you could make a reasonably fair comparison with quite a few different game. I guess the real test will be when we see it running on PS4 if rumors hold true. And if that's the case, we'll understand why it's not as impressive as it could be.

If someone says they think "x game looks better because of art direction" then that's down to personal preference. Where it gets stupid is people bringing up some arbitrary checklist in a futile attempt to disqualify something that is clearly a visual step up over what we were playing last gen (which seems to be a new thing, I don't recall these people asking about these things while Flight Sim was being praised at the tail end of last year?).

I didn't need someone to throw a bunch of buzzwords for me to be impressed when I booted up flight sim, I just used my eyes. I don't care how the image ends up on my screen, all I care about is whether I can look at the game and say "yep, this looks amazing".

Like I said before, if people want to do this nonsense then they will have a long disappointing generation ahead of them, but the longer this discussion goes on a large part of me starts to think that some people are being selective in their scrutiny for whatever reason.

CamHostage

Scales down to modern handsets. Scales to nextgen phones.

Can your iphone 5 run it? No.
Not nextgen phones. Epic Games is scheduled to replace every version of Fortnite with the UE5 variant of the game.

"...we’re committed to battle-testing the engine in house, as we prepare to ship Fortnite—on all its platforms—on UE5 down the line. "

Which makes sense, of course, since it's a cross-gen game, it has to be on the same engine in order to play in sync with other gamers on different machines.

Past-gen devices will not be able to use some of the advanced graphical technology of UE5, however. Nanite and Lumen will not run on Switch and mobile devices (not the current ones, at least.) Those devices will have to rely on traditional techniques. And that's fine; most of UE5 is geared around layering new technology on top of what is already working in the game engine (both Nanite and Lumen are assignable in an Unreal Engine editor with the flip of a switch,) and then when used properly, they allow you to use way more of those materials or way more lifelike versions of that lighting in games that support those next-gen features. Some game machines won't get to enjoy those new technologies, but they will still be capable of having UE5 games made for their class of devices. If your phone can play Fortnite today, it will play a UE5 game on it in the near future.

CamHostage

Go play Tlou2, Uncharted 4,GTAV or RDR2 or Valhalla or Odyssey to see some impressive wet clothes physics. Clothes stays wet for good amount of secs even when they come out of water...

Heh, I don't know that there's such a thing as "wet physics". They just die the textures or use some trick like that, maybe add some reflectivity to the textures so clothes glisten when wet, and then you use a timer or an algorithm for how long the effect takes to swap back to normal. Usually, you can't even deform the clothes to "stick to the body" like wet clothes do because they're not really "clothes", the clothes themselves are the character model or are a layer attached to its body rig.

Whether it's done well or not in Horizon (probably it could be better, although for some of the games you mention, they mostly have short-cropped hair; Aloy has long, wild hair, and that's a lot harder to do and transition wet effects... her model is like 25% hair, and if the wet FX fail to convince there, the whole thing doesn't matter,) that really has nothing to do with it being "next-gen" enough or not. They could do better there if they spent the time working on that aspect of the system, and it would have nothing to do with the power of PS5 to pull it off, it would just be the manual work of designing and assigning a whole bunch of effects just for the moments after the character has transitioned out of water.

All the games you mention with good "wet physics" are, of course, past-gen PS4 games.

It didn’t look next gen to me. I really don’t have an eye for that stuff though. It is gorgeous though.

What even is next gen?

The entire premise for this thread is stupid. Next gen really is a pointless term in this day and age and with each console cycle the differences will be less and less in terms of visuals.

Ellery

We don't really know what "next gen" looks like and we have to remember that the last generation was different from previous generations because we had a mid gen performance increase and the PC space became exponentially more important and paving way for raytracing and big performance gains on the CPU and GPU side of things.

Compared to The Witcher 3 (which was a great looking current gen game in 2015) Horizon Forbidden West looks next gen. Compared to RDR2 and TLOU2 it does not.

We might have reached a point of slower incremental gains that are harder to differentiate for the untrained eye, but are still extremely taxing on the hardware.

However I thinkt that Forbidden West looks impressive and I am excited to see how the PS4 version compared to the State of Play or final PS5 product (there might be differences as well).

MastaKiiLA

Games that break away from the "Go to point A to fight and enemy with your gun. We'll give you a story nugget that ends by telling you to go to point B where the cycle continues for 30+ hours."

I'm hoping (with less optimism now) that Forbidden West would give the player a more interesting simulated world where you, the player, are given a number of choices to advance Alloys story.

This does not help your argument at all. It would have been better to keep it a mystery.

Phase

Horizon Forbidden West looks like an improvement, that's all I'll say. I think we're just going to see these small incremental improvements in graphics going forward. Unless you take years off from gaming you won't notice much of a jump.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This does not help your argument at all. It would have been better to keep it a mystery.

More advanced technology has allowed for more and more complex choices in games.

Pong - Mario - Mario 64 - World of Warcraft

Those 3 games might not turn out any good but they represent the further evolution of game design. Choices no longer have to be "Look at cool robot dino and shoot it until it's HP bar depletes with one of your seven weapons." Now that becomes one of your choices.

Note: The people who preferred pong, didn't think 2D platformers were the future either.

Last edited:
Horizon Forbidden West looks like an improvement, that's all I'll say. I think we're just going to see these small incremental improvements in graphics going forward. Unless you take years off from gaming you won't notice much of a jump.
It's a VERY significant jump in visuals. Watch footage side by side it's like night and day. Even the ultra PC version is not even close to what was shown for HFW.

Horizon Forbidden West has some next-gen stuff, but using current-gen rendering techniques.

Horizon Forbidden West has highter geometry density compared to Horizon Zero Dawn. Demons Souls Remake and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart shows some next-gen polycount as well.

But Horizon Forbidden West uses the same LOD switch, SSR, shadow cascades, pop-in, etc.. it's a cross-gen game, it's almost the same PS4 Decima Engine, but building some models from the ground to PS5. The PS4 version will reduce polygons and that's ok.

We will see a real next-gen when the graphical engines are adapted to do things like Nanite (UE5) do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

nkarafo

It's an improvement but still far from a generation leap.

Basically, it looks like a cross gen title.

But the fact that we need threads like this proves how this generation jump is the smallest yet.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

I absolutely loved the first game, but I'll be honest, it looked like Horizon 1.5 graphically and gameplay wise.

I'm not mad at all tho. Day one.

nkarafo

It's a VERY significant jump in visuals. Watch footage side by side it's like night and day. Even the ultra PC version is not even close to what was shown for HFW.
If you need to watch footage "side by side" to see the difference and decide if it passes for "next gen", it proves that it doesn't really look like a game that made a full generational leap.

Did you need to do a side by side to see how Mario 64 (a launch title) is a generation ahead any SNES/Genesis title?

Did you need to do a side by side to see how Starfox 64 is a generation ahead compared to SNES Starfox?

Did you need to do a side by side to see how DOOM on the PS1 is a generation ahead of DOOM on the SNES?

Did you need to do a side by side to see how REmake on the Gamecube is a generation ahead of RE1 on the PS1?

Did you need to do a side by side to see how MGS2 on the PS2 is a generation ahead of any game on PS1/SAT/N64?

Did you need to do a side by side to see how Rogue Leader (a launch title) is a generation ahead of any game on PS1/SAT/N64?

And these are all launch or early titles. You didn't even have to wait for the developers to figure out the new consoles. You didn't even need to compare good looking next-gen games to see the huge gap. Even the bad looking ones were enough.

That's what a generation leap used to look like. The difference in graphics made the games look completely different. Now they look almost the same and we have to look for details by measuring them up close.

At least that's how it looks to someone who is been through 6 generations so far.

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

some grasses and plants don't react to passage the passage of Aloy, but Cherno think it will be fixed in the final version of the game and i hope so, with a zen 2 cpu there is no reason to not do it!

PuffyCan

The countdown stream was awful and looked last-gen, but the real trailers actually looked next-gen. I think the Pro/One X made the difference between gen a lot harder to see.

AGRacing

Gold Member
It looks Last Gen ++ to me. If the world gets less linear with this same level of visual fidelity I'd move it into "Next Gen" territory.

HOWEVER -- I really feel we have NO idea what Next Gen really looks like yet. I have a PC with 16GB of system RAM and a 6900XT. I used it to run the UE5 early access and saw the demo run natively (with small hiccups due to system ram limitation). Everyone talks about ray tracing... but I think mesh shaders and the incredible speed of streaming assets with these crazy SSDs is what the tail end of Next Gen will benefit most from. We are going to see things that will make us laugh at this conversation in a few years.

If you need to watch footage "side by side" to see the difference and decide if it passes for "next gen", it proves that it doesn't really look like a game that made a full generational leap.

Did you need to do a side by side to see how Mario 64 (a launch title) is a generation ahead any SNES/Genesis title?

Did you need to do a side by side to see how Starfox 64 is a generation ahead compared to SNES Starfox?

Did you need to do a side by side to see how DOOM on the PS1 is a generation ahead of DOOM on the SNES?

Did you need to do a side by side to see how REmake on the Gamecube is a generation ahead of RE1 on the PS1?

Did you need to do a side by side to see how MGS2 on the PS2 is a generation ahead of any game on PS1/SAT/N64?

Did you need to do a side by side to see how Rogue Leader (a launch title) is a generation ahead of any game on PS1/SAT/N64?

And these are all launch or early titles. You didn't even have to wait for the developers to figure out the new consoles. You didn't even need to compare good looking next-gen games to see the huge gap. Even the bad looking ones were enough.

That's what a generation leap used to look like. The difference in graphics made the games look completely different. Now they look almost the same and we have to look for details by measuring them up close.

At least that's how it looks to someone who is been through 6 generations so far.

I feel really bad that you put this much time into such an obviously retarded post. Diminishing returns. They're a thing. Someone saying 'if you put them side by side' it'll prove there's a generational difference doesn't mean that the average rational, engaged gamer needs that to really convince themselves (or others) of what they saw. If you care about graphics at all, and viewed this on a non-shit screen, it's glaringly obvious.

Gaming on PC with a 3080 + 4k120fps HDR monitor and still this gameplay looked more impressive than anything I've yet played on PC at max settings. That part may be opinion but to say it's not 'next-gen' is arguing semantics at some point when the improvements are so obvious, numerous and substantial.

Last edited:
I think it depends on who you ask. I think the more important question is "what does next-gen actually look like?" What check marks have to be checked for something to look "next-gen" ? I bet it changes based on games and sometimes even on the platform, maybe?!?!

OT: does Horizon look "next-gen" Yes, I think it does. But... are there parts of it that don't? After seeing NXGamer NXGamer 's breakdown there are portions of that game that show it's being "held back." I just think some of you are crazy as shit to look at that game and say "looks like a PS4 game" like for real? What fucking open-world game you playing on PS4 that look that good?

I personally think that ppl are just kinda annoyed/mad with those who think it's the "best looking game... ever" and are pushing against it.

sol_bad

The 174 people that say this game looks last gen obviously just watched it on their 10 year old phone in 480p.
o_O

I ain't never seen my PS4 do anything like what I saw in the Forbidden West trailer.

People are throwing whatever they can at this game to cope.
  • No ray tracing
  • 30fps
  • the foliage doesn't move enough
All while ignoring all the areas where the game is setting new visual benchmarks, never mind the fact that it's open world.

I'd like people to show us these amazing looking games that they are playing that they think look on par or better. I'd like to play them too.
The game looks great absolutely but where is it setting a new visual benchmark? In what area? I'm just not seeing that to be honest.

tassletine

tassletine

I agree. For the last few years getting that 'next gen' leap has simply meant swapping graphics cards in my PC.
PC's have always been more powerful but to me they appear like they are now very much hampered by consoles. Really waiting for them to catch up.

Consoles used to offer a lot more, and the diminishing returns, both in graphics and amount of titles is pretty apparent at the moment. It should be a bit more than getting a new set of glasses.

As for this game? I don't think any amount of polish/ cool robots can overcome a main character like that.
It used to be in films that the overdressed, over eager, annoyingly cloying character was the one who went ahead of the hero, and either came back missing an arm or was severely humiliated.

Top Bottom