• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does having a man flailing a sign near the road actually drum up more business?

Blade2.0

Went to lunch today and some guy was standing out in 35°F weather flailing a sign for the firehouse subs near my workplace. It didnt make me go inside, though. And I know these cash for gold places always had a sign flairer when it was popular. But does that do shit? Can't see why it would. Just let the man go inside and be warm. He ain't going to bring in 1000s if new customers into your place.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We have a pizza place near us that always has some younger guy out there in a wheelchair. I think he had down syndrome so it seemed like he was probably part of some city program that helped place people in jobs that needed some help from friendly businesses.

Can't say I ever stopped for pizza there though, but I'm glad the guy has a job.

4d1sws4
4d1sws4.gif

Batiman

Banned
It gets my attention at least. I don’t think I’ve ever turned in to their business before though

judhudson

It did the job though, you are now talking about and promoting Firehouse Subs. I didnt even know what I was planning to do for dinner either, thanks OP

Pizzerias all across America be hiring these dudes. I love it when they throw the sign up vertically so it twirls around and they grab it before it hits the ground.
Yup, I grew up in New York City and I'd see these skilled cats all the time, flipping the signs every which way in a very impressive manner.

Never went in to any joint specifically because of them though. I already knew what pizzerias I liked.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'm guessing this works at some level for low functioning humans. The same that steer their car in the direction their head is facing. The same that always have front end damage on their cars, or total their vehicles in to stationary objects on the side of the road when they're drunk.

DavidGzz

Does advertisement work?... The comfort of one minimum wage employee is no concern to a corporation. Come on now.

GeekyDad

To be completely honest, I try to avoid eye contact with them in much the same way many folks avoid looking at a homeless person. It does nothing for me in terms of encouraging me to want to visit a particular business, at least not that I'm consciously aware of.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
To be completely honest, I try to avoid eye contact with them in much the same way many folks avoid looking at a homeless person. It does nothing for me in terms of encouraging me to want to visit a particular business, at least not that I'm consciously aware of.

Myself - I get out of my car, leaving it to block traffic while people honk their horns and threaten violence against me, to do the Ted Lasso dance next to them

1s28t8D.gif

anthony2690

Banned
Is this a real job? I'm impressed at the sign flipping skills GIFs in the thread, but I can't even read the advertisements & I've never ever seen anyone do this in the UK XD

Last edited:

Ionian

Is this a real job? I'm impressed at the sign flipping skills GIFs in the thread, but I can't even read the advertisements & I've never ever seen anyone do this in the UK XD

Yeah was trying to think of anyone doing it in London when I was there and couldn't.

Here when I was growing up you'd have people just standing holding a post with a => to a place off the main street. I used to think it was ridiculous but apparently if you pay someone a small amount to advertise their business it was fine.

It's all gone now. Always thought it was inhumane for a person to stand all day with a sign. They didn't even do cool shit like spinning it about. Just held up a sign. They just stood there holding it, eventually they had chairs for a break behind them.

Got me to go into one shop anyway, Mr. Calculator.

He sold Phlips not Philips. He was ahead of his time.

nush

It's all gone now. Always thought it was inhumane for a person to stand all day with a sign.

I worked for two weeks in a chain store on Oxford street in London for about two weeks while the store I was working at was being renovated. I quickly worked out that the "Worst job" was actually the best job. Stand at the door and greet customers, you got left alone and nobody gave you any other shit to do. It wasn't a commission based job so I was earning the same money and the people manning the registers and helping customers and having to actually do some work.

Paid off though the one day when 90's Sam Janus walked past the store and I got to check out her arse real time.

OIP-C.JviognzvQgzNmwDbWaADuwHaKB

Ionian

I worked for two weeks in a chain store on Oxford street in London for about two weeks while the store I was working at was being renovated. I quickly worked out that the "Worst job" was actually the best job. Stand at the door and greet customers, you got left alone and nobody gave you any other shit to do. It wasn't a commission based job so I was earning the same money and the people manning the registers and helping customers and having to actually do some work.

Paid off though the one day when 90's Sam Janus walked past the store and I got to check out her arse real time.

OIP-C.JviognzvQgzNmwDbWaADuwHaKB

Forgot about her, jaysus she was something else. Very jealous.

Reminds me of that old skool show C4 had with the birds called 'Bits'.

A C64 dude was on it and started getting her to go to events and sell her merch. Didn't last long. Was amazingly pervy.

The lass on the right;

nush

Forgot about her, jaysus she was something else. Very jealous.

Reminds me of that old skool show C4 had with the birds called 'Bits'.

A C64 dude was on it and started getting her to go to events and sell her merch. Didn't last long. Was amazingly pervy.

The lass on the right;

Emily Booth, top tottie!

Top Bottom