• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here wonder why Nintendo has been so quiet lately?

VAVA Mk2

Crunch on Metroid Prime 4

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
There’s been a ton of news... and supposed “leaks”, OP. Go to google, type in “Nintendo” and then click “News” followed by “search”.

Porcile

Japan is being hit pretty hard by covid and barely anyone has been able to adapt. That said they are releasing some more games soon and E3 is happening this year too.

cireza

Banned
When you sell consoles like this, you don't have to do anything. This is a golden opportunity for them.

They can prepare a new hardware and keep all their big games for the launch of said hardware.

tylrdiablos

And that warrants "no complaints"? Idk about that.
You're right. Things could be much much better in the Nintendo department. They need to take a look at how Sony and Microsoft are handling things like; their online experience/UI/UX, game pass-style systems etc.
I guess I was pleased with the (very) short-term situation... i.e there's a couple of good games on the horizon along with E3.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
nintendo dont have alot of good exclusive games, they cant pump out as fast as sony.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

They are releasing games which is good.
They dont need to be saying something all the time.

Game conpanies use to stay quite till the shows / E3, TGS etc

You're right. Things could be much much better in the Nintendo department. They need to take a look at how Sony and Microsoft are handling things like; their online experience/UI/UX, game pass-style systems etc.
I guess I was pleased with the (very) short-term situation... i.e there's a couple of good games on the horizon along with E3.
You know you don't need to justify yourself for liking something, right? Especially to that user. If you don't have complaints and like their output, yeah, that's fine.

For me what Nintendo is doing doesn't bother me. They are releasing games that people like, so that's not bad. I barely have time for games anyway but when I do I'll be sure to grab my Switch and play some sweet Nintendo games.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Covid and the resurgence in Japan, probably messing with a lot of things for them right now. Their dream E3, may not be what they wanted, depending on whats left in the tank from last year.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Late 2021 - 2022 is setting up to be the most prolific time in Nintendo's history.

This is simply the calm before the storm.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
And that warrants "no complaints"? Idk about that.
Really? I am glad to have a way to play SS in HD without having to use some quirky emulator setup that is a pain to get running. Also Mario Golf looks like a fun little game. The only complaints people could have here is the price of the SS port, but it is something many are looking forward to regardless and it is updated a little.

Zannegan

As someone who's followed Nintendo for a fair bit, I'll say this: Don't assume that their silence is a sign of big things right around the corner. Sometimes they're quiet because they just don't have much to show.

They might have a crazy awesome E3 show this year. More likely though they're still reeling from Covid, and will be lucky to put together an average year in terms of announcements.

After their E3 2008 show, my creed for Nintendo has been, keep your expectations low, and leave yourself room to be pleasantly surprised.

Robb

Gold Member
I do feel they have been more quiet regarding their big titles/announcements. But Covid hit hard and the Switch is performing better than ever, so they have the luxury of time.

Hopefully they have a packed E3/end of 2021 planned.

mcjmetroid

Lately? They've been quiet for nearly a year now in terms of anything to do with gaming.

Here is the Nintendo news from the past year going by threads here:
  • "Switch is the biggest selling console in March"
  • "Switch is the fastest selling console in April"
  • "Nintendo are the highest grossing 100 year old Japanese company in May"
  • "Switch sales exceed PS4 in Q4 in Japan"
  • "Switch has taken over the Japanese government in June"
  • "There seems to be no stopping the Switch in July, it's coming for you and your family"

There are more threads about Nintendo Switch sales than PS5 and Xbox Series X combined which I did NOT expect to happen considering console wars and all that.
Almost as if there's nothing else to talk about eh?

I'd be happier for Nintendo if I didn't think they were resting on their laurels for the past 2 years.

it isn't very exciting to be talking about sales of a console when the console itself isn't delivering anymore... sorry

Last edited:
LOL at Nintendo fans thinking NCL are hiding stuff and working on loads of unannounced IP They can barely make 2 or 3 games a generation and that's been the case for decades.
Never mind, the new Zelda will be ready to be ported to the Switch 2 for its launch with ports of Mario Odyssey & Arms to follow :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

All they have to do is say "Mario" or "Zelda" and it will make £2 million just off those words alone, they know they have a rabid fanbase that will do or buy anything no matter how much of a shitty product it is (the games are extremely fun) even from the backlash they shown a few indie products and instantly went calm again after not showing anything for a long time.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"Lately" lol

Yeah, they're gearing up to show the games they haven't been willing to show for a long time, probably to coincide with new hardware.

Woopah

It is super quiet, I hope your right and we will be hit by a tsunami of new game and hardware announcements, but deep down I'm worried Nintendo had a hard time adjusting to Covid,

Hope I'm wrong but i'm keeping my expectations in check this time, I'm no Pekemon fan, so really looking forward to some Zelda/Metroid/Bayo3/any Platinum or Monolith news will do.

Nintendo has been quiet in terms of big announcements for more than a year now.
What counts as not being quiet? Nintendo has announced a whole bunch of first party games in the last 4 months.

You can say you're not interested in the games they have announced and that's a fair complaint, but they have been way less quiet than most companies in 2021 and E3 is right around the corner. There's no way we call them silent.
Lately? They've been quiet for nearly a year now in terms of anything to do with gaming.

Here is the Nintendo news from the past year going by threads here:
  • "Switch is the biggest selling console in March"
  • "Switch is the fastest selling console in April"
  • "Nintendo are the highest grossing 100 year old Japanese company in May"
  • "Switch sales exceed PS4 in Q4 in Japan"
  • "Switch has taken over the Japanese government in June"
  • "There seems to be no stopping the Switch in July, it's coming for you and your family"

There are more threads about Nintendo Switch sales than PS5 and Xbox Series X combined which I did NOT expect to happen considering console wars and all that.
Almost as if there's nothing else to talk about eh?

I'd be happier for Nintendo if I didn't think they were resting on their laurels for the past 2 years.

it isn't very exciting to be talking about sales of a console when the console itself isn't delivering anymore... sorry
The only way you would get that list is if you focus entirely on sales threads and ignore all the threads on games.

Because Switch always gets the worst version. Made the error getting R Type Final 2 on Switch, now thinking about cancelling my Ys 8 preorder and just getting it for PS4 or PC.

Edit: I pre-ordered Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 in... 2017 :D
I get that, but there is the factor of portability. I loved borderlands 2 on the vita. It was low enemy count and the graphics were worse than any console, but it was the full game in the palm of your hands and that to me made it amazing.
I got my son the vita borderlands bundle and when we were on vacation we spent nighttime playing co-op sitting on the deck on the ocean. I own borderlands 1 and 2 on ps3, re bought the handsome collection on ps4 for cheap and double dipped on borderlands 1 on the switch for $11 on sale and the handsome collection for $20. They play and look just as good as the ps4 versions and I can play on the toilet, and the back porch. Being able to just be in any room , outside etc and game is severly underrated. The fact that the switch has tabletop mode is also a big plus. I have a stand that holds the switch upright. I plug headphones in and use my Bluetooth 8bitdo sn30pro+ controller as I sit at the table on my back porch with the dog playing switch.

Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, AC3, AC4/rogue, Xcom2, Bioshock collection, Civ6, City Skylines, Amaular, Dragon Quest 11, DQ builders, Doom, Resident evil 4, Outer worlds, Devil may cry1-3, Deadly Premonition, Dark Souls, Witcher 3, Divinity Original sin2, Baldurs Gate 1/2, Icewind dale/torment, Red faction guerilla, are just a few AAA games that i own on switch but also have on either pc or ps4 as well. Games like Civ6 and the witcher you can start on the pc and continue on the switch as cross save works just like it worked in the past for vita-ps3/ps4.

I won't get into the number of indies i bought on the switch or re-bought that i owned on vita.
Jrpgs also are amazing on switch, as there were on portables previously . I prefer playing jrpgs on the small screen. It makes grinding so much fun. I save a tv for large AAA ps4 exclusives and switch and pc for anything else.

I just think the switch is so much more than just a first party machine (unlike the wiiu) and it has such a killer library, that some sell it short.

That's the problem for us diehard fans that actually bought and played all of the big titles on the Wii U. Sure, they're fantastic games. But at the end of the day basically nearly all of the "big" Switch titles are old news to us that we played a generation ago already. It's great they're reaching a wider audience now but for many it's been there, done that.
There are tons of people like me that never played those games. I was estactic when mario 3d allstarts, mario 3d world, hyrule warriors, xenoblade, no more heroes, came out as i never played them. SNES was the last nintendo home console i owned, but I can see your point. Thing is wii-u sold like shit, they would be foolish not to re-release the games from it.

For original first party, Fire emblem 3houses, Breath of wild, mario odyssey, maker2, have all been great. So has the ammount of 3rd party, ports, and indies.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I have never played my Switch undocked so that's not really applicable for me. If they had a bit beefier non-portable version I would be all over it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom