• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anybody else like playing team multiplayer games but kinda going off and doing your own thing?

Maybe it’s just because I grew up with like goldeneye and unreal tournament and halo - but I’m kinda struggling to play modern multiplayer games where you’re on a team and you’re literally supposed to like rely on your teammates. Most notably this is in games that have classes and battle royales - but even in call of duty it kinda feels like that with the load outs. I miss getting sorta dropped into a map and just rushing towards the weapon location etc. but still having it one side vs the other rather than a free for all. Maybe I’m just unaware of games that still do this, I straight up just cannot bring myself to coordinate with some random stranger over the internet. If split-screen was more prevalent I’d definitely be happier. Are there any multiplayer FPS games that sorta lean into this type of approach? Or is this just completely outdated thinking. Call of duty is the closest I’ve encountered but even that feels a bit off.

JimboJones

No offense meant, but you're the kind of player I would have despised back in Halo 2.

Teams are for teamwork. You can always play solo, free for all modes!
I get what he means though, warzone you are literally as good as dead without pretty good team coordination if you playing squads, somthing like Halo you could work as a team but you didn't have to be mic'd up and constantly issuing updates there was enough visual information on screen to know where the hot spots where happening so there was some flexibility to lone wolf sometimes.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I get what he means though, warzone you are literally as good as dead without pretty good team coordination if you playing squads, somthing like Halo you could work as a team but you didn't have to be mic'd up and constantly issuing updates there was enough visual information on screen to know where the hot spots where happening so there was some flexibility to lone wolf sometimes.
Yeah this is accurate. I'm honestly not trying to be a dick but that was the last game I played competitively.

It always sucked when you had a good team of four and one friend dropped, it seemed you'd always get paired with a rando who would just run to the power weapons, die and repeat and end up 1 and 25. And god help you if it was something like CTF or Assault. Wasn't even worth playing without friends at higher levels in that case.

But I guess I'm showing my age a bit. Idk what the kids get up to these days with the Nightforts and Apex Battlegrounds.

Yeah this is accurate. I'm honestly not trying to be a dick but that was the last game I played competitively.

It always sucked when you had a good team of four and one friend dropped, it seemed you'd always get paired with a rando who would just run to the power weapons, die and repeat and end up 1 and 25. And god help you if it was something like CTF or Assault. Wasn't even worth playing without friends at higher levels in that case.

But I guess I'm showing my age a bit. Idk what the kids get up to these days with the Nightforts and Apex Battlegrounds.
I mean this is what I mean really more accurately - halo 2 you just had kinda flexibility to go and do stuff lone wolf - and some times that even helped - like you didn’t have to be SO on top of the team player part to win. I’m cool with playing as a team when it matters but I just don’t want to be in constant communication and literally completely relying on the teamwork to win. Free for alls now feel too much in one direction and then the team games feel too much in the other there used to be a sweet spot I feel like but now it’s kinda gone.
I play Monster Hunter solo for this very reason. I dont have the patience to carry others who just wanna half ass a hunt. Sorry, not sorry
That sounds like it may be my speed then.

Ten_Fold

Nah, especially in COD Warzone, I hate when someone goes on the other side of the map an dies, you need to be close to your team imo.

When I played Halo 3 a lot I didn’t really go off on my own, but I would try and sneak around while my teammates are fighting.

Amiga

Bad Company 2 was the best game at focusing players attention on the objective. players hardly talk to each other but often know what to do and where to cover.

Top Bottom