• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does a good 3d sonic game exist?

Shut0wen

Had a urge for sonic of late so went and played sonic generations since ive heard its the best one since adventures 2, its ok... but fuck me is 3d sonic the worst, literally every level is bugged, using boost gives you 50% of falling off the map, jump attack barely works, all of his levels are incredibly awkward, even fighting bosses with him should be easy but there not because of stupid level designs, i feel like those are the real bosses.

Rant over is there any decent 3d sonic games or should i just play adventures 1 and 2

Chukhopops

In my humble opinion Sonic Generations is excellent, and Sonic Colors (and its remake) is really good.

After those two there are some kinda good ones but probably too janky for your tastes.

Shut0wen

Theres no hope for you if you hyperbole this much or if your standards are thiiis high.

And in retrospective, SA2 is the worst.
I actually dont mind the adventure series purely because its more about running and platforming then it is on generations, plus its way easier to know what objects would stop from running

Shut0wen

In my humble opinion Sonic Generations is excellent, and Sonic Colors (and its remake) is really good.

After those two there are some kinda good ones but probably too janky for your tastes.
Sonic colours actually any good? Was planning on getting it but heard they did a botched job on the remake

BlackTron

My favorite is Adventure 1. I recently replayed Sonic's game to test out the DC emulation on Xbox. Reminded why I love the game so much, despite its flaws. 2 is also ok, but that game won't let you turn on your Sega console and plow through a game of Sonic in 2 hours as if you're playing a Genesis. Also still has best 3D physics and control feel in series.

-Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
-Sonic Colors (and the remake)
-Sonic Generations
-Sonic Unleashed is the best imo, still beautiful, the sense of speed is brutal, gameplay works like a charm. An underrated masterpiece.

Not so great 3d games imo;

-Sonic Heroes is ok.
-Sonic 06 is frustrating because of loadings and cheap deaths.
-Sonic Forces is fun, but they made the stages too short and "automatic", so it's not good as those i listed.
-Sonic Boom is bad.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Sonic colours actually any good? Was planning on getting it but heard they did a botched job on the remake
I liked it personally and bought the remake which came out last year. It’s good but if you have to play just one Generations is better.

The remake runs completely fine at least on Xbox (I think the issues were for the Switch version). The only annoying thing is they kept the original Wii cutscenes and they look awful compared to the game.

If you don’t like Generations / Colors you can probably skip the rest.

buenoblue

I enjoyed generations but it can be frustrating. But if you replay the levels enough to get used to the layout it can be a good experience. Sonic lost world is great on PC once you get it running over 720p.

Nezzeroth

??? Don't want to die ? Try Prince of Persia 2008!
What I mean is that Generations is by far one of the easiest ones. It takes a lot of effort to die even if you want to, the levels are very closed. Unleashed is a different story, for example.

If he's struggling so much with that one, I can't see him having fun with the harder ones.

Last edited:
What I mean is that Generations is by far one of the easiest ones. It takes a lot of effort to die even if you want to, the levels are very closed. Unleashed is a different story, for example.

If he's struggling so much with that one, I can't see him having fun with the harder ones.
I see, but just to clarify, Generations also have different paths to try...!!!

Saber

Gold Member
Sonic and Sega All Star Racing.

Solid racing game that includes more than Sonic characters.

Theres also Colors and Generations.

Last edited:

nikeboy94

Yes it does and it is Sonic Generations - so, kinda disagree with your opinion here.

I really love Sonic Unleashed and would even argue it has better "boost style" gameplay than Sonic Generations, but unfortunately you have to play the annoying werehog levels in order to unlock more Sonic levels. It's the same with Sonic Adventure 2 - really good Sonic/Shadow levels, but playing the knuckles/tails stuff wasn't all that great.

Last edited:

GenericUser

No, there is none. Some people look back at sonic adventure 1 and 2 and remember them as being good. They are wrong. 3D Sonic always sucks. But I'm sure Sonic Frontiers will break the spell.

nkarafo

No.

Sonic Generations comes close but only because it has those decent 2D stages (with 3D graphics), that play similarly to the 2D games.

And maybe there's some homebrew 3D Sonic that's much better than what Sonic Team shits out.

Sonic Generations and Sonic Unleashed are my favorites. The Werehog part does suck though in Unleashed but the soundtrack and day levelsbfar out weigh it.

Jeeves

Interesting to see some people here preferring SA1 over 2. Right now I would call SA2 the only Sonic game that I like. I used to like SA1 as well but last time I revisited I found that the game does not hold up at ALL.

Shut0wen

No, there is none. Some people look back at sonic adventure 1 and 2 and remember them as being good. They are wrong. 3D Sonic always sucks. But I'm sure Sonic Frontiers will break the spell.
Nah ive replayed it recently after generations and its actually the best 3d sonic game imo because its most about speed rather than attacking enemys all the time

Belthazar

Literally every level is bugged, using boost gives you 50% of falling off the map, jump attack barely works, all of his levels are incredibly awkward, even fighting bosses with him should be easy but there not because of stupid level designs, i feel like those are the real bosses.

Go play another series. Saying this about Generations is just delusional and objectively incorrect. You clearly don't want to play a Sonic game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Transformed is the best kart racer outright.

1. Sonic Unleashed day is the best Sonic has ever been.
  2. Sonic Generations comes second
  3. Sonic Colors
  4. Sonic Adventure 1 - fight me!
  5. Sonic Adventure 2 - Sonic/Shadow stages.

radewagon

hgAAWhC.jpg

Sonic and the Secret Rings was pretty cool, even if it controlled as a racing game with a jump button.

It's still the 3D sonic game I enjoyed the most.

Naysayers be dammed, learning curve was steep, because the developers wanted you to master the game mechanics, like jumping over enemies and using the home attack to get away from falling into them (hard at the beginning, but very rewarding later on). The skill tree upgrades were also super nice, game just got better the more you played.

Graphics are still nice, which considering it's a Wii game is hard to come by. Sonic and the Black Knight of something was shite though, probably because Yojiro Ogawa stepped aside.

Last edited:
My first ever Sonic game was a 3D one, Sonic R, which is really great with the map design, and the replay value. Other favorites are the Adventure games, Sonic Unleashed which I didn't beat yet

fart town usa

Gold Member
The one on Wii U, Lost World maybe?

That one has it's moments, I actually like that there are 3 speeds (walk, jog, run). It's kind of a mess at times but I thought the level design translated well to a 3D sonic game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
SA1 and 2 are good, although the later ports don't flatter them much.

Generations and Colors and polished but boring and linear.

Lost World had a ton of potential but the level design falls apart halfway through.

Yes. Play the WII version of sonic unleashed. The non werehog levels are peak 3D sonic.

Yes it has to be the Wii version.

Then there's sonic colors, and lastly lost world which has its faults but is worth playing.

Codes 208

Sonic unleashed running on 60fps boost via the fps on xbox SX was actually a massive upgrade imo. Other than that, yeah generations is probably the only other good one (aside from spinoffs like racing transformed)

Avoid forces, colors ultimate has some redeeming value to it, but forced doesnt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom