• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who fans, it's almost over. Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave Doctor Who in a trio of Specials in 2022

Pejo

I don't dislike Jodie as a person, but she was somehow a boring ALIEN THAT CAN TRAVEL THROUGH TIME AND SPACE. Let that sink in. Really, I feel that the writing was to blame for most of it, so I'm really happy to see Chibnall out of there.

Thoughts?

INC

Scripts were horrific, some of the worst, I've had to suffer through. But I think her Dr could of worked

I have no hope for this, ill have to watch it tho, my wife likes Dr who regardless

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I doubt I'll ever go back to watching the show, no matter what the next show runner does to try and fix Chinball's mistakes. The whole Timeless Child bullshit basically ruined Doctor Who in a way it'll probably never recover from.

Burger

The real reason this is happening is the skyrocketing costs to shoot TV in the UK. Not only costs, crew availability is super thin on the ground.

If your show cost £1m per episode, now it's costing far in excess of that. Why? Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Amazon.

BouncyFrag

I doubt I'll ever go back to watching the show, no matter what the next show runner does to try and fix Chinball's mistakes. The whole Timeless Child bullshit basically ruined Doctor Who in a way it'll probably never recover from.
I don’t know how that can be fixed. Then again, I thought Christopher Eccleston would never return to reprise his role as the 9th Doctor but he has in audio content.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don’t know how that can be fixed. Then again, I thought Christopher Eccleston would never return to reprise his role as the 9th Doctor but he has in audio content.

Either make out the Master was lying about the whole stupid fucking thing, or just ret-con it out of existence with some sort of universal reset button.

But whatever they do, it'll take a long time to get the stench out of the show. I wouldn't like to be the poor bastard taking over.

DKehoe

Feels like the show lost momentum a long time ago. For me it was part way through the Matt Smith run. Which I don't mean as a knock against Smith, he was fun in the role, but it just felt like the show needed a rest.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I liked her as The Doctor... But some episodes were spouting some pretty bad dialogue and were written pretty much all over the place in terms of characterization... Especially the tertiary characters like the girl's family (I can't remember her name)

Jay Exci made an in depth critique of everything that's wrong with Chibnall's Doctor. It's really excellent and yes... it's 5 hours long:

Afterwards he was viciously attacked by rabid fans and members of the press:

Especially this bellend of a journalist for the Guardian:

X5FpeOC.jpg

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Jay Exci made an in depth critique of everything that's wrong with Chibnall's Doctor. It's really excellent and yes... it's 5 hours long:

Afterwards he was viciously attacked by rabid fans and members of the press:

Especially this bellend of a journalist for the Guardian:

X5FpeOC.jpg

I watched all of that over several nights. It’s a brilliant breakdown and excoriation of the Chibnall era.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Good!

But it will have been 10 episodes released since March 2020 until series 14 comes out (maybe) Spring 2023

NY 2021
6 episodes fall 2021
1 special (probably) NY2022
2 specials Fall 2022

New series maybe Spring 2023

10 total episodes in a 3 year span is not health for a show

Fox Mulder

This era was trash, but I doubt the BBC will recognize all the wrongs and fix it. They’ll still have boxes to check and agendas to preach.

INC

I bet the next writer will be that utterly unfunny phoebe waller-bridge

Or

That new young writer from i will destroy you

Bet the BBC were furious a middle aged white bloke got the popular vote.

I'd personally cast Cillian Murphy. But it's going to be a hard task to get AAA talent in the show now the lusture of the golden years has gone and diminished budgets.

Spaceman292

Banned

I'd personally cast Cillian Murphy. But it's going to be a hard task to get AAA talent in the show now the lusture of the golden years has gone and diminished budgets.
Cillian Murphy is too dark and brooding. Those three most popluar votes would all be fantastic, but they're all probably too busy/famous. Who knows.

Liljagare

Glad to see them go, it has been a combination of bad acting (from good actors actually) and piss poor writing that made it all pretty nigh unwatchable.

The real reason this is happening is the skyrocketing costs to shoot TV in the UK. Not only costs, crew availability is super thin on the ground.

If your show cost £1m per episode, now it's costing far in excess of that. Why? Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Amazon.
One of the reasons for this (I've heard) is that the diversity quotas the BBC is implementing is resulting in inexperienced people getting hired, thus making shoots longer and more expensive due to inefficiency and ineptitude. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Well, these two basically fucking destroyed the show, so nice for them to be able to move on to other projects, I guess.
Is it that bad? I haven't watched since David Tennant left, but I'm just a casual.

Edit: read an article and:

Jodie was voted 2nd Most Popular Doctor of all time, coming within a whisker of her friend David Tennant, in a poll of more than 50,000 fans for Radio Times.

Am I missing something? Or are the people shitting on her/the showrunner guy mad cuz wimmenz?

Last edited:

Richard Ayoade would be an amazing pick, but they would need a good showrunner too.

Jodie was voted 2nd Most Popular Doctor of all time, coming within a whisker of her friend David Tennant, in a poll of more than 50,000 fans for Radio Times.

Reading a fluff piece by the BCC writing about their own show is like listening to the oil industry talk about environmental protection.
Jodie is so popular, her last season had the lowest ratings since the reboot in 2005.

Am I missing something? Or are the people shitting on her/the showrunner guy mad cuz wimmenz?

Yes, clearly we hate da wahmans :messenger_unamused:

I can't really blame Jodie for ruining Doctor Who on her run. It all depends on the script, she can't salvage too much from it, if it's a complete trainwreck.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Is it that bad? I haven't watched since David Tennant left, but I'm just a casual.

No. It has nothing to do with the fact she’s a woman. It has everything to do with how poor the stories, characters and adherence to Doctor Who‘s previous canon are.

And I'd take that vote with a massive pinch of salt. The newest series has attracted a lot of new viewers, who aren't necessarily voting based on what they think the quality of the actual show is, but rather due to its political and social agendas.

Try watching before you start talking out of your ass.
Try speaking rationally to people before acting like a bitch on the internet.

No. It has nothing to do with the fact she’s a woman. It has everything to do with how poor the stories, characters and adherence to Doctor Who‘s previous canon are.

And I'd take that vote with a massive pinch of salt. The newest series has attracted a lot of new viewers, who aren't necessarily voting based on what they think the quality of the actual show is, but rather due to its political and social agendas.

That clears it up. Gotcha.

Shai-Tan

Banned
them: they're ruining the show
me forcing myself to watch 4 seasons: the entire show is bad, and there's like 15 minutes of plot per 60 minutes

Fuz

Banned
It's weird.

Felt EVERYONE was watching the show before this season. Then it completely disappeared from reality. No one was talking about it anymore (at least, in my FB/reality bubble).

nush

Gold Member
It's weird.

Felt EVERYONE was watching the show before this season. Then it completely disappeared from reality. No one was talking about it anymore (at least, in my FB/reality bubble).

They watched the first episode, some stuck around a bit longer to see if it would improve and then ratings dropped off a cliff.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What a Minerva

Top Bottom