• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you wish you were born later in the future?

Dark Star

I wish I was born in America like 25 years earlier. I would have really enjoyed growing up in the 70's/80's and being an adult in the 90's.

Just trying to imagine myself going to rock concerts in California or New York (with still tons of diversity and equality), but no cellphones / smartphones, no social media, no AI recording and tracking your every move, no digital footprint, etc.

I don't have much hope for the future, but I can assume that if there is a future "2100" generation, they will probably be even more progressive, nature friendly, and way ahead of our current culture. But even then, they too will probably look back on the 70's and 80's and 90's as an inefficient/archaic period, but still a very comfortable balance between technology and social life.

Last edited:

-YFC-

No, I wish I was born earlier actually. I'm liking this world less and less as time move forwards.

I am quite happy with been able to witness the whole 80ies. Seeing video games going from Space invader to what they are today is crazy. Also that whole 80ies and early 90ies vibe was amazing.

Seeing Star Wars (2&3 in my case) in the cinema when it was released. New wave, Thriller, Prince, MTV, skateboarding when all the tricks were still new, the summer olympics 1984 with the rocket man, space shuttle starts, home computers (C64 and Amiga), grunge rock, 90ies techno scene and illegal raves.

The only time that I would prefer was my parents generation.
Must have been amazing to be around 20 years old and witness the 60ies...

Gamerguy84

I dunno. I used to think so. I grew up on a farm in WV where we grew and canned our food, or raised, slaughtered, and packed it. Life was so much simpler then.

People were pretty honest, and shaking a mans hand was a binding agreement.

I still own those 400 acres and its looking tempting.

Grinchy

Banned
I liked getting to start gaming with an Atari 2600 (which was before my time, but what we owned when I was 4-5) and see the complete evolution to what we have today.

But I also hate living in today.

Mistake

I’m perfectly happy with my point in time. I figure I’ve got about 50 more years on me, which is right about when things will start going to shit, since 2100 will have floods, storms, droughts and whatever else.

TheMan

If you had asked me as a kid, definitely.

Now? Global warming is going to fuck shit up big time and the human race will not stop it. Pass.

Meowzers

I wish I was born in the future, with my knowledge of what I know now.

Though watching videos of women in the 1960/1970's I wish I was born in the past. They were really hot.

Karma Jawa

Later in the future? Being born in the future is always later, just as being born later would always be in the future.

Nope. I grew up in the '90s and got to experience some of the best movies, television shows and games as a child. Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter were things I couldn't even imagine back then. It didn't really feel like anything was changing for the worse until 9/11 and the War on Terror had people on the news talking about increased surveillance and WMDs. Movies were beginning to look more blue (color grading) and political or super serious. I feel like it mirrored what people were feeling at the time, though that's not to say they weren't entertaining, just in a different way.

I envy anyone who grew up in the '80s though because as you might have seen from my Malibu Club thread where people like Cosmic Smash Cosmic Smash and belmarduk belmarduk and others helped update, there was a lot of great music during that time which aged really well. Mainstream music today mostly sounds like complete garbage with some songs barely hitting two minutes. Kids today must have really short attention spans.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
imma use time carefully and travel out this fucking galaxy, bitches

We gotta slingshot round a black hole; we pop out a week later and get to see wtf is going on 400 years later. If it looks shit we just take another slingshot and see what's up a few more centuries down the line.

Birdo

Banned
No. I'm happy I grew up before the internet.

Otherwise I'd be in all of those cringe compilations.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was recently at a nursing home and I pondered how those people viewed life. Was it good for them? Do they feel complete? Are they even interested in technology advancements?

I am living in a time where video games are good, past and present. All the movies that defined the medium have come and gone. Films haven’t exactly outdone themselves. Music is a lot of computer generated edits and sounds. Phones are fast and convenient.

I think what I want to do is be capable enough to use technology for my own personal needs. I don’t exactly want to use IR, AR, or perfectly designed VR with hands that look like shriveled prunes/dates.

I guess I would have liked to had all this at my disposal rather than waiting for it to release/get better. It’s like those depictions of futuristic worlds. People don’t stand around admiring flying cars because flying cars are the norm. Other than that I’m pretty contempt. I’m still happy with getting to play a game and enjoying content that gets released digitally.

I think about the holocaust and that was a nightmare for people. It wasn’t fare what happened to them. Watching Schindler’s List almost brought tears to my eyes. Men, Women, and Children were killed in such horrid conditions. What good would it be to live during the time of such treachery? Not being able to stop all the needless killing. They never got to see an IPhone or watch Netflix. I don’t know if being born earlier or later would change anything. There’s so much uncertainty to life.

Last edited:

Old Retro

Witnessing the tech, music, and culture that sprung up during the 70s and advanced in the 80s... living carefree and raising hell in the 90s...
being GEN X is priceless :pie_raybans:

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I was born when we lived in caves and clubbed a woman we wanted.
Bitches love being clubbed.

While true, the world before the 2000s was a far different place compared to where we are today.

Like for starters, there was no 2008 market crash. That was fucking huge and we're still feeling the effects of it today.

Cost of living has also gone up. I wouldn't have had to choose between setting aside money to start/invest in a new business, and actually being able to eat or have a roof over my head for example.

Just look at house ownership as proof of this. The younger generation can't even afford it anymore, yet most people over the age of 50 have.

I wish I'd invested in amd five years ago...
10k would have turned into 230k
Or in ether...
I remember the years of the crypto mining boom, which was a few years ago, ether went from less than $1~ in 2016 for a coin to $1400~ in the winter of 2018.

Yes. I wish I had been born late enough to when our life expectancy was 150 years or more, and we had found some sort of life somewhere out there in the universe.

Also would love to enjoy 24k/480fps gaming
There is a good chance if you're less than 50 you'll live to see significant life extension. Specially if programmed aging turns out to be true.

I wish I could have been born a century from now when we were a spacefaring civilization which had settled on thousands of worlds across the galaxy.

Of course there's a better than even chance that a century from now our species will be extinct but you know what fuck it never tell me the odds!

GeorgPrime

Banned
No fuckinhg hell. I would like to be born one more time in 1984.

I would miss all the great cinema experiences (i went to cinema like 5 times a week lol), all the great stuff from the ninties and would never experience the great "Deutsche Mark" before the Euro came. I miss my "Heiermann" (the 5 DM piece). I would never experience growing up without a mobile phone and playing outside doing all that stupid stuff we did as kids *lol*.

I also would miss the best times of videogaming (NES/SNES/PS1) and the golden age of point & click adventures.

Even the school was way better than the stuff nowdays.

Germany was in the ninties at its best (even my family was able to travel 2-3 times a year) but at the end of the ninties it went downhill again and now... its just about to break down again.

Instead you would get:

- European Union dictatorship
- extrem political correctness in everything (people trying to fight the problem literally becoming part of the problem)
- the idiocracy of #BelieveAllWomen bullshit
- Greta Thunberg truancies and global scams
- The rise of depression and burnout
- Covid-19 youth imprisonment (its the hardest for the kids)
- underaged internet bitches that wear donkey heads and bikinis to earn money
- a glorified trash / scam mobile gaming market with stupid ass commercials everywhere
- Loot boxes and battle passes as gaming features

And i dont think i want to be born in 20-30 years.....

The more we move away from "1984" the more we become like the movie "Idiocracy"

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I was born in the perfect timeline, allowing me to experience the world and all the great things associated with it completely unfiltered. The advancements that we as society has taken together, with different opinions, ideas and cultures co-existing, have encouraged me to critical thinking and self reflection. This is something I greatly value today since we are about to create an extreme polarization between ourselves, with the end game being complete annihilation of the other side.

BWJinxing

I would have liked to be born as a Canadian German, or French citizen, in the past.

Japanese, if it's the future.

Top Bottom