• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you wish you were born later in the future?

Pejo

I was pretty satisfied with growing up in the 90s. It was a great time to be a kid/teen before camera phones and social media were huge. I actually got away with all the stupid shit I did and it's not documented everywhere.

That said, I wish I'd live long enough for us to get our cyborg bodies so I could exist long enough to see true space travel.

Well, ok, let's be honest, humans will probably blow themselves up before it gets to that point.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'd prefer to have been born about 6 to 8 years earlier. Because 1) I'd like to have experienced the 80's a bit more and 2) I'd be closer to my brothers in age.

DKehoe

In one sense yeh since quality of life generally improves as time progresses. Maybe I contract and die from some condition here in the present that they cure in the future. But if I was directly offered to switch? Nah, my loved ones are here.

This.

I should have been an 80s child, and when I grew up, I would have invested in the internet in the 2000s.

There's always new opportunities to invest in.

JordanN

Banned
There's always new opportunities to invest in.
While true, the world before the 2000s was a far different place compared to where we are today.

Like for starters, there was no 2008 market crash. That was fucking huge and we're still feeling the effects of it today.

Cost of living has also gone up. I wouldn't have had to choose between setting aside money to start/invest in a new business, and actually being able to eat or have a roof over my head for example.

Just look at house ownership as proof of this. The younger generation can't even afford it anymore, yet most people over the age of 50 have.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
I'd make a monster of an Enlightened Despot; 1700's Europe woulda been my oyster.

Or in the 1400's - 1500's, I could have been a boss mercenary company captain.

C'est la vie. By being born now I also got to...ya know, not die in childhood, so there's that.

Where's the option to not have been born?

Well, that's one that nobody can really complain about. If you really felt that way you would have already solved that issue. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Yes. I wish I had been born late enough to when our life expectancy was 150 years or more, and we had found some sort of life somewhere out there in the universe.

Also would love to enjoy 24k/480fps gaming

Last edited:
I'd make a monster of an Enlightened Despot; 1700's Europe woulda been my oyster.

Or in the 1400's - 1500's, I could have been a boss mercenary company captain.

C'est la vie. By being born now I also got to...ya know, not die in childhood, so there's that.

Well, that's one that nobody can really complain about. If you really felt that way you would have already solved that issue. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Im working on it.

Last edited:
Yes, I do.. all the time

just Imagine, PS-X (or Playstation 10), running 32K resolutions, (thats 4 times more than todays 4K's), All games installed will only take 10-15 seconds, and any updates will take less than 30 seconds, you can play any game right away ones it all set up in less than 1 minute, and all games does not have loading times, (if you wanna take a break, pause it)

hey, I know this sounds stupid, but this is just a dream of mine that's not gonna happen even in a million years!

Ememee

I was pretty satisfied with growing up in the 90s. It was a great time to be a kid/teen before camera phones and social media were huge. I actually got away with all the stupid shit I did and it's not documented everywhere.

That said, I wish I'd live long enough for us to get our cyborg bodies so I could exist long enough to see true space travel.

Well, ok, let's be honest, humans will probably blow themselves up before it gets to that point.

Yeah, I am absolutely satisfied and grateful for the time period I grew in. Experienced life without the internet. Grew up as it advanced. But got through college/youth before Social Media took completely over.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Seeing future technology is incredibly appealing. If I knew what to compare it to, then yes, absolutely I would likely want to live in a age with better tech, better medicine, better access to travel, better videogames. The future can mean a lot of things though, and things can get worse too. So it depends.

But I actually am pretty happy with when I grew up and lived. I got to see the creation of video games from zero to what it is now all in one lifetime. How many people get to see a medium explode in quality every 4 years for their entire life? I got to see the 90s era of music that appears to have been a peak that wont be replicated for a very long time, if ever. I got to see the creation of the internet, streaming, large tech advancements, and still have decades left to enjoy superior tech like smartphones and large TVs. I got to grow up playing outside, walking all over town as a kid wherever I wanted in the 80s before the media culture shifted everyone to be too scared to be out of your house, and before tech took over kids' lives to the point they get fat and don't even play outside.

I was kind of in the sweet spot. I got snuck in to see Deftones on the Adrenaline tour when I was 14, so I couldn't have been any younger to see the peak 90s concerts and the creation of moshing, tons of insane house parties, tons of insane concerts - but I still have decades left to live and see where tech goes. Not too bad.

Last edited:
I wish i wasn't born at all i had no say in this.

HiRm9lC.png

I wanted to experience a cyberpunk world like Neuromancer, but that shits not gonna happen fast enough. life sucks bros.

You'd just complain about wanting to experience whatever punk was in in fashion then. Probably like aquatic punk where we bioengineered humans to have gills to survive the flooding of Earth.

Nope, 20 years earlier.

Thousands of years into the future could be cool just to see the tech and alien poontang. But I have my doubts that humans will be thriving then.

LordKasual

Banned
I'm a minority, so i have absolutely no desire to have been born earlier. The further back I go the fucking shittier it gets, i'm quite thankful i dodged the worst of that shit.

I'd love to be born sometime after humanity has stabilized from the fallout of climate change. It's pretty much all uphill from there.

Last edited:

StormCell

Honestly don't know. I've already missed out on some crucially big opportunities. I'm not quite on my way to billions yet, and I get the feeling the further we go into the future, the greater the competition will be.

I don't like Bezos, but he's winning. Everything.

pr0cs

I'm happy when I was born but I really miss the 80s and early 90s.
To me they were the best point in time.
There was enough technology to make your life better, improved communication but not invasive in your life.
Enough real social connection with people via phone, tv radio.
News wasn't so polarizing
Kids still spent more time outside playing with each other than indoors
Video games existed but weren't littered with ways to take money from your pocket.
Not so much focus on trying to be something different, men were men women women (not saying that some people didn't struggle with their identity but that there wasn't so much focus on tribalism)
Travel was still possible, vacation destinations were still often happy for you to spend money there (looking at you Mexico)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
No. The world is fucked now. My future kids might never get to experience the joy of playing outside or becoming friends with a neighbor. I wouldn’t want to grow up like kids grow up today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom